Awesome old school photo from Sittendorf, Austria.

Robgvx
4/4/2021 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 5:57am
Some of you who have read my book ‘The Inside Line: Racing the 500cc World Motocross Championship’ will recall me saying about the awesome rocky hill at Sittendorf when I first raced the 500GP class in 1985.

Well, here’s a good shot of it. It was like this from halfway up the 150 yard steep uphill, all the way to - and over - the top. I couldn’t believe that the 500GP guys raced on stuff like that, and just shrugged it off as normal. Badasses!

If you haven’t got a copy, or maybe have not heard of it, my book is available at theinsidelinebook.com

|
wreckitrandy
4/4/2021 3:19pm
A mid pack start at a 500 gp facing that. Knowing that there's no where to hide from the beating that's coming. It would be like being tied to the whipping post in front of every pitcher in major league baseball.... Ouch.
tydog
4/4/2021 7:12pm
The book is as badassed as that pic!!! Get one
4/4/2021 8:38pm
Wow. I cant imagine the roost from a 500 from that. Gnarly. I'll have to order the book and give it a read. Cheers.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
4/5/2021 5:37am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 5:57am
I've got the highlights from the '86 and '87 500 GP series on VHS in French and remember that track. I tried to upload the vids to YT a couple of years ago and was shutdown within minutes... Gnarly.

EDIT: Was just out of diapers but still enjoyed watching them... Laughing

The Shop

M1000
4/27/2023 10:07am

Looks like the hill still exists, according to Google earth. No worries KTM factory is only 150km (100 miles) away. Make some new wheels. I believe Rotax engines is also Close to Vienna. Drink/eat, beer/pretzels while mechanic returns with new wheels. 
Postcard from Google Earth
PNG image.png?VersionId=H6OaI0z8sjqHPSc9aHOYA

skypig
4/27/2023 4:22pm
Robgvx wrote:
Some of you who have read my book ‘The Inside Line: Racing the 500cc World Motocross Championship’ will recall me saying about the awesome rocky hill...
Some of you who have read my book ‘The Inside Line: Racing the 500cc World Motocross Championship’ will recall me saying about the awesome rocky hill at Sittendorf when I first raced the 500GP class in 1985.

Well, here’s a good shot of it. It was like this from halfway up the 150 yard steep uphill, all the way to - and over - the top. I couldn’t believe that the 500GP guys raced on stuff like that, and just shrugged it off as normal. Badasses!

If you haven’t got a copy, or maybe have not heard of it, my book is available at theinsidelinebook.com

Book looks great.

I’d pay the 40 pounds, (A$80 !!)  it’s the 29 pounds shipping to Australia that’s putting me off Sad

Bearuno
4/27/2023 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2023 4:59pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
I've got the highlights from the '86 and '87 500 GP series on VHS in French and remember that track. I tried to upload the vids...
I've got the highlights from the '86 and '87 500 GP series on VHS in French and remember that track. I tried to upload the vids to YT a couple of years ago and was shutdown within minutes... Gnarly.

Ezza - well, Everyone :

A great set of DVDs is Duke Marketing's 500 GPs boxed set : 5 seasons , from 86 to 90. They've plenty of other seasons, or, did have. DVDs, Blue Rays, and,GPs  downloads. For the Aussies, there's Leiskies 2 seasons in 89 /  90. As a side not, I forgotten Leisk had got 4th in the US 500 season, in 88, prior to him going to the World Championships in 89. 

As to the picture from Robs book, I remember race reports of that track, and the specific hill shown, where many of the World Best riders would, at times, have to have a couple of tries at getting up to the top of it . Especially when it rained. Or, Snowed.

MXBREWSKI
4/27/2023 6:07pm
Robgvx wrote:
Some of you who have read my book ‘The Inside Line: Racing the 500cc World Motocross Championship’ will recall me saying about the awesome rocky hill...

Could you imagine a wide open swap/high side on this..........I dont think you would be getting back up!!!

wildbill
4/27/2023 10:30pm

Looks like a Millican Valley GP back in the day. Turned bloody when one of your shock's was blown.

Robgvx
4/28/2023 1:34am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2023 1:39am
skypig wrote:

Book looks great.

I’d pay the 40 pounds, (A$80 !!)  it’s the 29 pounds shipping to Australia that’s putting me off Sad

I'm really sorry about that, but it's a heavy old thing, and I can't control the postage/shipping costs.  It actually costs me £32 to ship it to Australia and New Zealand!

I guarantee that you'll consider it worth every penny though!

Robgvx
4/28/2023 1:37am
Robgvx wrote:

MXBREWSKI wrote:

Could you imagine a wide open swap/high side on this..........I dont think you would be getting back up!!!

Doesn't bear thinking about.  They covered it with a sprinkling of dirt from '86, but it was still nasty, as you can see in the recent video posted from last weekend's race above.  See the guy crash at 2m 40s while simply riding in a straight line up that hill!

4/28/2023 1:56am
Robgvx wrote:

skypig wrote:

Book looks great.

I have to agree, the postage seems overpriced.

Robgvx
4/28/2023 4:57am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2023 7:20am
BigMunster wrote:

I have to agree, the postage seems overpriced.

1.6kgs. 36 cm x 35cm x 5cm. Find me a cheaper courier from the UK to Australia (with a sensible delivery time) and I’ll be eternally grateful.

👍😁

Email me at book@robandrewsmx.com

mumbles
Fantasy
676th
4/28/2023 1:12pm
Robgvx wrote:

Rob, how in the world did you guys not get flats all the time on that hill?

I have your book and it's excellent. I was there in Europe 85 - 87. Didn't get to Sittendorf but got to the hallowed grounds of Namur 85 and 86. Luxembourg in 86.

Robgvx
4/28/2023 1:36pm
mumbles wrote:
Rob, how in the world did you guys not get flats all the time on that hill? I have your book and it's excellent. I was...

Rob, how in the world did you guys not get flats all the time on that hill?

I have your book and it's excellent. I was there in Europe 85 - 87. Didn't get to Sittendorf but got to the hallowed grounds of Namur 85 and 86. Luxembourg in 86.

It was tricky. There were no mousses in those days, so we’d use thicker and/or double tubes. ie an old tube, cut around the inner diameter and fitted around the main, inflated tube. 

Riding technique played a part too. Not hitting the sharp rocks on the gas. Backing off and trying to make the rear light rather than hammering at them. Higher tyre pressures helped too.

Thanks for buying a copy. Really pleased you enjoyed it. 

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
5/2/2023 5:22am
EZZA 95B wrote:
I've got the highlights from the '86 and '87 500 GP series on VHS in French and remember that track. I tried to upload the vids...

Bearuno wrote:
Ezza - well, Everyone :   A great set of DVDs is Duke Marketing's 500 GPs boxed set : 5 seasons , from 86 to 90...

Ezza - well, Everyone :

A great set of DVDs is Duke Marketing's 500 GPs boxed set : 5 seasons , from 86 to 90. They've plenty of other seasons, or, did have. DVDs, Blue Rays, and,GPs  downloads. For the Aussies, there's Leiskies 2 seasons in 89 /  90. As a side not, I forgotten Leisk had got 4th in the US 500 season, in 88, prior to him going to the World Championships in 89. 

As to the picture from Robs book, I remember race reports of that track, and the specific hill shown, where many of the World Best riders would, at times, have to have a couple of tries at getting up to the top of it . Especially when it rained. Or, Snowed.

980F00CA-D99A-4C42-BAAE-E53D0E621CD2

A989B790-B093-479F-87DF-D7F6D59626AF

johnk408
5/2/2023 7:03am
Robgvx wrote:
1.6kgs. 36 cm x 35cm x 5cm. Find me a cheaper courier from the UK to Australia (with a sensible delivery time) and I’ll be eternally...

1.6kgs. 36 cm x 35cm x 5cm. Find me a cheaper courier from the UK to Australia (with a sensible delivery time) and I’ll be eternally grateful.

👍😁

Email me at book@robandrewsmx.com

In the US, I know books and all "media" ship cheaper via media mail at post office. Not sure if that is an option for you in GB?

bluesmoke
5/2/2023 7:09am
A mid pack start at a 500 gp facing that. Knowing that there's no where to hide from the beating that's coming. It would be like...
A mid pack start at a 500 gp facing that. Knowing that there's no where to hide from the beating that's coming. It would be like being tied to the whipping post in front of every pitcher in major league baseball.... Ouch.

Thanks for the photo! Also the satellite photo that was posted. Looks like a cool natural terrain track. That would have been gnarly!

Robgvx
5/2/2023 9:01am
johnk408 wrote:
In the US, I know books and all "media" ship cheaper via media mail at post office. Not sure if that is an option for you...

In the US, I know books and all "media" ship cheaper via media mail at post office. Not sure if that is an option for you in GB?

I’m familiar with media mail in the US. However, to the best of my knowledge it’s not tracked or insured, or valid for overseas shipments.

Regardless, we don’t have that in the UK  

I’ve tried all couriers (and regularly check again) but it still costs me more for shipment than I actually charge. Surface mail might be cheaper, but who would be happy with weeks for delivery with no way of knowing when, or if it’s going to arrive? My US shipments with UPS generally take seven to ten days. And not a single purchaser has ever said that it wasn’t worth the price.

Trustpilot reviews:  https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/robandrewsmx.com

Books
5/2/2023 9:14am

What’s the place/track called where they held the last GP? Remember a nice battle between Everts on a 450 and Pichon an a RM250 2 stroke. 02 or 3? That track was amazing!

Wonder why there is never a GP in Austria anymore especially with KTM being so big in the MX scene the last decade.

Robgvx
5/2/2023 9:19am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2023 9:20am
Books wrote:
What’s the place/track called where they held the last GP? Remember a nice battle between Everts on a 450 and Pichon an a RM250 2 stroke...

What’s the place/track called where they held the last GP? Remember a nice battle between Everts on a 450 and Pichon an a RM250 2 stroke. 02 or 3? That track was amazing!

Wonder why there is never a GP in Austria anymore especially with KTM being so big in the MX scene the last decade.

Schwanenstadt? They used to alternate GPs there, but generally we (500s) mostly raced Sittendorf. 

minetto27
5/15/2023 11:38am
Robgvx wrote:

Hey Rob! Got your book a few days ago and i'm halfway through, it's great!! But I miss that foto from the Sittendorf rocky hill from this thread in it. Why that?

I was there quite every year as a young boy from vienna when you and the 500's were there racing! I love these old memories from Sittendorf GP's... and i'm going to watch the austrian championships there now as well! It's good, but it's not nearly as good as it was at your times!!

And, as life plays.... by a lucky coincidence... now i'm building my house in front of the hill where the track is located... and out of my bedroom window i can get a good look at it! Smile

20230421 153846.jpg?VersionId=ocY8HkeOlAR 3clZ5oI

motomike137
5/15/2023 12:06pm
Robgvx wrote:

There needs to be a couple sketchy ass tracks like this in the series. 

Robgvx
5/15/2023 12:21pm
Robgvx wrote:

minetto27 wrote:
Hey Rob! Got your book a few days ago and i'm halfway through, it's great!! But I miss that foto from the Sittendorf rocky hill from...

Hey Rob! Got your book a few days ago and i'm halfway through, it's great!! But I miss that foto from the Sittendorf rocky hill from this thread in it. Why that?

I was there quite every year as a young boy from vienna when you and the 500's were there racing! I love these old memories from Sittendorf GP's... and i'm going to watch the austrian championships there now as well! It's good, but it's not nearly as good as it was at your times!!

And, as life plays.... by a lucky coincidence... now i'm building my house in front of the hill where the track is located... and out of my bedroom window i can get a good look at it! Smile

20230421 153846.jpg?VersionId=ocY8HkeOlAR 3clZ5oI

Glad you like the book! and thanks for buying a copy. (Cristoph?)

That's awesome that you are building a house right there!  I intend to visit Sittendorf soon for the first time since I was racing. I will come check you out.  Please drop me an email so I have your details.

You asked why the picture in this thread isn't also in the book. That's simple. I never saw the photo above until after the book was published.  It just popped up on day on Facebook I think.  Also, I have no idea whose it is, and I would never use a picture without the owner's permission.

Rob

minetto27
5/16/2023 9:09am
Robgvx wrote:
Glad you like the book! and thanks for buying a copy. (Cristoph?) That's awesome that you are building a house right there!  I intend to visit...

Glad you like the book! and thanks for buying a copy. (Cristoph?)

That's awesome that you are building a house right there!  I intend to visit Sittendorf soon for the first time since I was racing. I will come check you out.  Please drop me an email so I have your details.

You asked why the picture in this thread isn't also in the book. That's simple. I never saw the photo above until after the book was published.  It just popped up on day on Facebook I think.  Also, I have no idea whose it is, and I would never use a picture without the owner's permission.

Rob

Hi! Yes it's me, Christoph!

It's awesome that you intend to visit Sittendorf! But take your time, the house isn't finished yet!😆

I sent you a pm here yesterday, but i think you have pm's blocked.

I will send you my email on your site via the "get in touch" section. Ok?

20230423 134539.jpg?VersionId=UN4RUhQ.q60oUDP7PU05z

20230423 125523.jpg?VersionId=5AjSfgVSVRBEaQKGA

20230423 111605.jpg?VersionId=4bKf4VIJkEPjY.dhWH45

It was a nice, sunny day this year and a very good attendence. About 3000 spectators they said after the event...

Chris

Robgvx
5/16/2023 10:13am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2023 10:17am
minetto27 wrote:
Hi! Yes it's me, Christoph! It's awesome that you intend to visit Sittendorf! But take your time, the house isn't finished yet!😆 I sent you a...

Hi! Yes it's me, Christoph!

It's awesome that you intend to visit Sittendorf! But take your time, the house isn't finished yet!😆

I sent you a pm here yesterday, but i think you have pm's blocked.

I will send you my email on your site via the "get in touch" section. Ok?

20230423 134539.jpg?VersionId=UN4RUhQ.q60oUDP7PU05z

20230423 125523.jpg?VersionId=5AjSfgVSVRBEaQKGA

20230423 111605.jpg?VersionId=4bKf4VIJkEPjY.dhWH45

It was a nice, sunny day this year and a very good attendence. About 3000 spectators they said after the event...

Chris

I received your message and I have replied to the email address you included this morning.

(Edit: actually it didn’t send. You should have it now).

ron63
5/21/2023 11:05am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2023 11:05am

It is such a great venue...i'd love to see a MXGP there.

This is a photo from my last laps on that iconic track. It was 2001... 

2001sittend

Post a reply to: Awesome old school photo from Sittendorf, Austria.

The Latest