Fantasy
2740th
7/30/2018 6:44pm
daemon616 wrote:
Taxpayers.
newmann wrote:
That’s me! Newmann approved flyover...Wink

Freedom boners for all! ??

I saw an Air Force Thunderbirds show last year and get to see the Navy Blue Angels this October. All that raw power up close is euphoric.
steve_97060
7/30/2018 7:02pm
newmann wrote:
That’s me! Newmann approved flyover...Wink

Freedom boners for all! ??
Brad460 wrote:
In addition, the flyovers are considered a valuable recruitment tool..there is a shortage of pilots. The free world can look at these flyovers as a critical...
In addition, the flyovers are considered a valuable recruitment tool..there is a shortage of pilots.

The free world can look at these flyovers as a critical part of their national defense ..
I'm kinda skeptical about any pilot shortage. We have nowhere near as many fighter wings as we did at the end of the Cold War, and...
I'm kinda skeptical about any pilot shortage. We have nowhere near as many fighter wings as we did at the end of the Cold War, and with continued advances in precision munitions and increased reliance on RPAs (remotely piloted aircraft), fighter wings are much smaller than they once were. (With precision munitions and "stealth" technology, missions require far fewer aircraft to accomplish.) Where a standard fighter wing used to comprise three squadrons of 24 aircraft, now it's more likely to be two squadrons of 20, maybe more like two of 15.

be skeptical all you want but it is the reality, and there is a reason wings are smaller now also.
maybe do a little research before attempting to be an air defense expert.
Harv379
Fantasy
2029th
7/30/2018 7:09pm
That was awesome, with the guitar anthem, the loud cheering, and this, I had the chills and watery eyes. Very cool the patriotism and love for the sport we have.
7/30/2018 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 8:04pm
be skeptical all you want but it is the reality, and there is a reason wings are smaller now also. maybe do a little research before...
be skeptical all you want but it is the reality, and there is a reason wings are smaller now also.
"Research." Units aren't smaller because of lack of personnel. This isn't the Reagan Administration. Aircraft aren't sitting around because there's no one to fly them. Units are smaller for lots of reasons:

• Newer-generation aircraft like the F-22 and F-35 are obscenely expensive, but they're also enormously more capable.

• Meanwhile, modernized versions of a single mainstream aircraft like the F-15E or the F-16C Block 40/50 CCIP with Sniper pod can hit targets in one pass in the dark from standoff ranges, outside the envelope of enemy defenses. That once required specialized aircraft, like the F-111F, and even that had limited standoff capability with the Pave Tack pod.

• Other aircraft with specialized missions -- like the EF-111A, the F-4G and the F-117A -- are long gone and weren't replaced.

• And now, a single F-35 can do what once required an entire squadron of F-16s, partly because it doesn't need SEAD or EW support.

• On the Navy side, a carrier air wing used to comprise 58 fighter/strike aircraft: 24 F-14A/D, 24 F/A-18A/C and 10 A-6E. The wing of the near future will have only 44 multi-role: 24 F/A-18E/F and 20 F-35C.

It's all for the same reason: Now we can do more (a lot more) with fewer aircraft. (During all this, they've sacrificed range, but that's a separate topic.)

The Shop

mxnick
7/30/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 10:45pm
The Washougal fly over was very special - and it really came down to one moto enthusiast who happens to be a life long MX rider / racer.

His name is Mike Conrad, and it just so happens that his day job is a fighter pilot from the 142nd Fighter Wing Oregon Air National Guard. The 142nd is based at PDX, so they are nearby. Both Mike and his son are avid local racers and have spun plenty of laps at Washougal.

And yes, Mike was one of the two pilots who were flying on Saturday, and flew over the track at about 1000' (probably less). It was a big honor to have him (and his wingman) give such a good show. He told the crew that it took something like 5+ years to get approval from the Air National Guard to do this particular event.

On a related sidenote, getting a flyover approved and organized is very, very hard. Even when the Air Force was a paying series sponsor, they were not willing to provide and never allowed one to happen. The amount of politics and red tape to get one is huge.

Thus, the Washougal flyover was 100% made possible by Mr. Conrad and his superiors, and it was really special! Hopefully he can do it again next year, but it is never guarantied.
sargebro689
7/30/2018 8:47pm
Harv379 wrote:
That was awesome, with the guitar anthem, the loud cheering, and this, I had the chills and watery eyes. Very cool the patriotism and love for...
That was awesome, with the guitar anthem, the loud cheering, and this, I had the chills and watery eyes. Very cool the patriotism and love for the sport we have.
Had the same feels. Was even better that it was unexpected. Absolutely epic.

Made me think of this.

https://youtu.be/p3uXCP9B9BY
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
7/31/2018 4:26am
Super proud.....I was an F15 avionics backshop technician during my time in the service and worked on just about everything in the cockpit as well as...
Super proud.....I was an F15 avionics backshop technician during my time in the service and worked on just about everything in the cockpit as well as the Hughes APG70 radar system in the nose.

I was lucky enough to get 2 different incentive flights and both times they put me in an F16 instead of an F15. Still was a very cool experience.....pulled 8.4 Gs without the slightest bit of tunnel vision, greying out or outright passing out.

There was an F15 pilot that used to moto at Nellis during the Y2K time frame i met at the track at LVMS. . wonder if he's still riding or maybe even on this board.
Whats the hydraulic system like on those things?
USMCMXer
7/31/2018 8:50am
be skeptical all you want but it is the reality, and there is a reason wings are smaller now also. maybe do a little research before...
"Research." Units aren't smaller because of lack of personnel. This isn't the Reagan Administration. Aircraft aren't sitting around because there's no one to fly them. Units...
"Research." Units aren't smaller because of lack of personnel. This isn't the Reagan Administration. Aircraft aren't sitting around because there's no one to fly them. Units are smaller for lots of reasons:

• Newer-generation aircraft like the F-22 and F-35 are obscenely expensive, but they're also enormously more capable.

• Meanwhile, modernized versions of a single mainstream aircraft like the F-15E or the F-16C Block 40/50 CCIP with Sniper pod can hit targets in one pass in the dark from standoff ranges, outside the envelope of enemy defenses. That once required specialized aircraft, like the F-111F, and even that had limited standoff capability with the Pave Tack pod.

• Other aircraft with specialized missions -- like the EF-111A, the F-4G and the F-117A -- are long gone and weren't replaced.

• And now, a single F-35 can do what once required an entire squadron of F-16s, partly because it doesn't need SEAD or EW support.

• On the Navy side, a carrier air wing used to comprise 58 fighter/strike aircraft: 24 F-14A/D, 24 F/A-18A/C and 10 A-6E. The wing of the near future will have only 44 multi-role: 24 F/A-18E/F and 20 F-35C.

It's all for the same reason: Now we can do more (a lot more) with fewer aircraft. (During all this, they've sacrificed range, but that's a separate topic.)

Trust me, the entire DOD is short pilots, as are the airlines. I am one and the crazy bonuses aren’t fixing the problem either, airline life looks too good to stay flying mil air for many. Last tally had the USAF almost 1500 pilots short. Think what you want about technology, downsizing, etc., still a pilot shortage.
7/31/2018 3:15pm
No afterburners, as best I could tell.
I'm pretty sure they hit the afterburners when they were directly over the track. I was in the pits and it was loud as hell when they hit them!
racerx24
7/31/2018 4:46pm
Radest part of the day and that's a lot considering the racing was awesome!
jeffro503
7/31/2018 5:14pm
Man I tell you what. If I ever run into Mr Conrad at Washougal , it would be an honor to shake that guy's hand. Thank you for your service Mr Conrad!
KMC440
7/31/2018 5:22pm
Penny Benjamin was at Washougal ? Who knew...
Cool
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
7/31/2018 5:22pm
Biggest pilot shortage going on right now in a very long time. A good time to be looking for an airline job.
PRM31
7/31/2018 7:20pm
Spent many years riding in F-14D Tomcats. Managed some pretty cool fly-bys. Cool to see them come to MX.

Post a reply to: Awesome F-15 low flyby at Washougal

The Latest