Create New Tag

1/12/2012 9:05 PM

Could it ever become a reality in mx?

|

1/12/2012 9:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2012 9:17 PM

|

1/12/2012 9:20 PM

But do you think it will ever become a "thing" again? I wonder if they could make an automatic that was race worthy? My guess is it would be killer on the start. Maybe have a tranny that is automatic on the start and then magically becomes a standard once it hits 9th gear or whatever?

|

1/12/2012 9:20 PM

If CVT transmissions were ever installed on dirtbikes, they would destroy the competition.

|

1/12/2012 9:22 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

If CVT transmissions were ever installed on dirtbikes, they would destroy the competition.

And the ears

|

1/12/2012 9:23 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

What is a CVT transmission. We're not all NASA physicists here dude.

|

1/12/2012 9:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2012 9:36 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

bullpen58 wrote:

What is a CVT transmission. We're not all NASA physicists here dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Basically a transmission that has infinite amount of gear ratios and keeps the engine operating at peak torque.

|

1/12/2012 9:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2012 9:36 PM

its a centrifugal clutch basically

|

when in doubt, pin it out

1/12/2012 9:38 PM

Constantly Variable Transmissions have been around for over 100 years.

|

1998 Honda Z50
1994 Honda CR125
1996 Honda CR250
2000 Honda CR500

1/12/2012 9:38 PM

What is preventing the big 5 from making this thing a reality for us?

|

1/12/2012 9:41 PM

A bike u don't shift feels funny. Think ranger razor or big farm ATV. While possibly very fast, the ability to shift gears (and particularly the ability to spin up the motor or limit wheelspin with a traditional clutch) is very important in Mx.

|

1/12/2012 9:42 PM

i can't even get along with a rekluse auto clutch like the z start. Flat out dont work with how i ride.

|

1/12/2012 9:42 PM

Oh, so it WOULDN'T blow the competition away?

|

1/12/2012 9:43 PM

gsxr6 wrote:

i can't even get along with a rekluse auto clutch like the z start. Flat out dont work with how i ride.

I'm not sure it would get along well with me either but I've never tried one.

|

1/12/2012 9:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2012 9:48 PM

CVT's are cool.. I've had sleds and own a maxima, but I don't think they would be the greatest on a bike.. I don't think the transmission would be robust enough. The LAST thing I would want is a Fin belt..

|

1/12/2012 9:45 PM

I once rode a new Husquvana 430AE...lovely engine but yeah that first corner was interesting lol....the Honda dealer owner had it but he always had problems with it ... :-(

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

1/12/2012 9:48 PM

gsxr6 wrote:

bullpen58 wrote:

I'm not sure it would get along well with me either but I've never tried one.

Imagine completely foresaking the clutch lever. U remove it even! a exp might be cool its basically an anti stall. Notice how the top guys dont stall when they tip usually anymore? exp perhaps?

|

1/12/2012 9:57 PM

I would not want to hit a jump that I normally hit a jump in 3rd gear to find out:

1) it changes gear on the jump face
2) your actually in 11th gear

|

1/12/2012 10:07 PM

Fat Fingers wrote:

I would not want to hit a jump that I normally hit a jump in 3rd gear to find out:

That's not how it works.. Get on google and read some.. A good example would be a snowmobile clutch

|

1/12/2012 10:16 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]
CVT clutches have been done before and it was an epic fail! Not that modern technology couldnt make it better. I know I wouldnt ride a snowmobile without one!
|

don't mind me, i'm a little slow...........

1/12/2012 10:42 PM

Fat Fingers wrote:

josh8811 wrote:

That's not how it works.. Get on google and read some.. A good example would be a snowmobile clutch

Actually, that's exactly how it works on a 1980 Husky 390 automatic. I still have mine and ride it on occasion. Automatic transmission is a bitchin' concept and works well in most situations. But I've had more than one occasion to be on the face of a jump and the transmission decides to shift into the next gear. More than a little un-nerving. Just like with a car automatic transmission you can use the throttle to help it shift, but sometimes ya never know.

|

1/13/2012 5:59 AM

Early-Mid 90's, Honda's works 250 with the auto tranny and Stanton's(?) first laps on it shaved three seconds per lap if I remember correctly.

|

1/13/2012 6:36 AM

The Rekluse clutches are as close to automatics as you wanna get in dirt biking.

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

1/13/2012 6:37 AM

newmann wrote:

Early-Mid 90's, Honda's works 250 with the auto tranny and Stanton's(?) first laps on it shaved three seconds per lap if I remember correctly.

Yup...I remember Honda sent Lamson out on one at a Supercross in practice. I believe the AMA (Duke Finch) warned them about it for some reason. He rode around carefully but after a few laps jumped everything on the track.

|

1/13/2012 7:14 AM

probably to heavy for mx judging by honda's auto trans on atv's. they also have the option of making it feel like it has gears. oh, and a replacement is 1500 bucks for the part! ive flagged many hours fixing those things. i always thought they were testing for the automotive market.

|

1/13/2012 7:25 AM

Fat Fingers wrote:

josh8811 wrote:

sparker245 wrote:

Actually, that's exactly how it works on a 1980 Husky 390 automatic. I still have mine and ride it on occasion. Automatic transmission is a bitchin' concept and works well in most situations. But I've had more than one occasion to be on the face of a jump and the transmission decides to shift into the next gear. More than a little un-nerving. Just like with a car automatic transmission you can use the throttle to help it shift, but sometimes ya never know.

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. It doesn't change gears.

It would take some adapting, but with the power of current 450's I have no doubt they could go faster with CVT. But, Manufacturers aren't developing their product much right now, they certainly wouldn't put on something that would take tons of R&D & Money, just to have something that's very controversial & only good on the 450.

|

1/13/2012 7:29 AM

What is on a PW50?

|

1/13/2012 7:42 AM

CVT's don't change gears because there are no gears. It's Continuously Variable, hence it's name. You'll never feel gearing changes, ever. Instead, your bike will just constantly accelerate.

You don't need to worry about downshifting for a corner because the CVT will be in the right spot all the time. Come in to a corner idling speed, roll into it and you'll just pull and pull and pull and pull.

|

1/13/2012 7:48 AM

ga_pike wrote:

What is on a PW50?

centrifugal clutch

|

1/13/2012 7:57 AM

josh8811 wrote:

sparker245 wrote:

Faceaz wrote:

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. It doesn't change gears.

It would take some adapting, but with the power of current 450's I have no doubt they could go faster with CVT. But, Manufacturers aren't developing their product much right now, they certainly wouldn't put on something that would take tons of R&D & Money, just to have something that's very controversial & only good on the 450.

It will be interesting to see if it ever becomes a reality, even if only on the 450s.

|