Austrian model in Japan - Suzuki

bestmx
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 3:53pm
Something I’ve thought about for about as long as Suzuki kept their last bikes going without update, but with the recent news of JGR having to close it’s doors as Suzuki couldn’t offer them an acceptable amount to go racing, along with the loss of long time Suzuki people such as RC and the firing of their R&D dept etc I don’t think it could be more relevant..

Have any of the other Japanese manufacturers considered taking on the Suzuki, as per KTM with Husky and now GasGas? (Yellow plastics on a.....)

To me, KTM’s model clearly works and will continue to work. Could another OEM jump on this band wagon?

No way saying the Suzuki is a bad bike by any means, but the bikes aren’t even being featured in shootouts anymore so the only press they’re getting is from Goonrider886 joking about their lack of e-start on this forum.

With their Moto GP success, they must want to win, but this doesn’t appear to trickle down to our sport. I’m looking at like, there’s a shortage of bikes, they have a factory sitting there making surplus bikes, why not see if a deal can be made to get them back on their feet, or if they can even sell their Motocross side of industry off and have the brand represented on a different bike?

Suzuki will get good representation, the other OEM will get another factory manufacturing bikes. Seams like a win-win, no?
|
Rickyisms
11/17/2020 9:59am
I don't see it happening. For Husky and Gasgas it was pretty much off-road oriented bikes. Suzuki is a huge car MFG, Builds outboards, and just killed it in Moto GP. A lot more going on there than these smaller companies that have been bought out.
OLDMOTO
11/17/2020 10:04am
Really, motocross and offroad are a tiny niche in the overall motorcycle world market. It just might not be worth the effort or expense for Suzuki to compete in it.
mx_563
11/17/2020 10:06am
You say there is a shortage of bikes and there is a surplus of bikes in the same sentence.

Prepare for Vital's wrath! The fury of criticism shall soon be unleashed.
Donkey Kong
11/17/2020 10:09am
Jesus fucking Christ some of you people are so God damn stupid.

Suzuki American R&D stopped development of MX bikes in the U.S. not in Japan. All that means is there is no group of people under the guise of Suzuki going to MX tracks in the U.S. to test MX bikes. That's all it ever ment.

RC leaving as a catalyst? After DeCoster left in 2010 their MX effort has been less and less ever since

The multi-billion dollar net worth corporation is going to sell off it's motorcycle market share and branding to competitors? LOL. KTM bought majority shares of Husqvarna and Gas Gas to be able to do what they're doing with those brands. Do you really think Suzuki is going to sell 51% of it's stock to KTM? Well it's not possible because Suzuki Motor Corporation is billions more valuable than KTM. According to business insider KTM's market cap is 1.4B and Suzuki's is 24.09B. You do the math.

Suzuki probably doesn't want to reinvest into the sport because even though they've had a good bike and good race results stupid rumors like this get peddled around and for whatever reason the brand has a stigma with in the sport. Honestly if I were them I'd pull back too, it's not like there's much money to be made here relative to other endeavors they could pursue.

Where do you people come up with this shit?

The Shop

duckdog77
11/17/2020 10:14am
At one point in time (no idea of the backstory or why maybe someone with knowledge can chime in) Suzuki and Kawasaki seemed to have some sort of partnership/relationship. My 04’ KFX 400 was essentially a Suzuki LTZ400 w/ green plastics. Some parts were stamped kawi some Suzuki if I remember correctly. I know either the frame or motor said Suzuki on it and I had a full set of Suzuki plastics for it. I’m not sure if any MX or street bikes shared technology like that but always wanted to know what the reasoning behind it was and if it’s been done by them on more than one occasion?
Sierra Ranger
11/17/2020 10:26am
Jesus fucking Christ some of you people are so God damn stupid. Suzuki American R&D stopped development of MX bikes in the U.S. not in Japan...

Suzuki American R&D stopped development of MX bikes in the U.S. not in Japan. All that means is there is no group of people under the guise of Suzuki going to MX tracks in the U.S. to test MX bikes. That's all it ever ment.

RC leaving as a catalyst? After DeCoster left in 2010 their MX effort has been less and less ever since

The multi-billion dollar net worth corporation is going to sell off it's motorcycle market share and branding to competitors? LOL. KTM bought majority shares of Husqvarna and Gas Gas to be able to do what they're doing with those brands. Do you really think Suzuki is going to sell 51% of it's stock to KTM? Well it's not possible because Suzuki Motor Corporation is billions more valuable than KTM. According to business insider KTM's market cap is 1.4B and Suzuki's is 24.09B. You do the math.

Suzuki probably doesn't want to reinvest into the sport because even though they've had a good bike and good race results stupid rumors like this get peddled around and for whatever reason the brand has a stigma with in the sport. Honestly if I were them I'd pull back too, it's not like there's much money to be made here relative to other endeavors they could pursue.

Wow, I know people from the Bronx are known for being abrasive, but what a dickhead response.
11/17/2020 10:36am

i like the idea of a yellow ktm especially two strokes...but there is only fluo yellow plastics made by polisport and rtech
malachi177
11/17/2020 10:47am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 10:58am
Wow, I know people from the Bronx are known for being abrasive, but what a dickhead response.
Why cause he’s 100% right? KTM buying out Suzuki is funny stuff. KTM nuthuggers are sure on a self proclaimed pedestal thinking their brand is so much better than every other brand. If Suzuki focuses on being dominant in mx again the pumpkin patch will be eating humble pie.
SEMAC
11/17/2020 11:22am
bestmx wrote:
Something I’ve thought about for about as long as Suzuki kept their last bikes going without update, but with the recent news of JGR having to...
Something I’ve thought about for about as long as Suzuki kept their last bikes going without update, but with the recent news of JGR having to close it’s doors as Suzuki couldn’t offer them an acceptable amount to go racing, along with the loss of long time Suzuki people such as RC and the firing of their R&D dept etc I don’t think it could be more relevant..

Have any of the other Japanese manufacturers considered taking on the Suzuki, as per KTM with Husky and now GasGas? (Yellow plastics on a.....)

To me, KTM’s model clearly works and will continue to work. Could another OEM jump on this band wagon?

No way saying the Suzuki is a bad bike by any means, but the bikes aren’t even being featured in shootouts anymore so the only press they’re getting is from Goonrider886 joking about their lack of e-start on this forum.

With their Moto GP success, they must want to win, but this doesn’t appear to trickle down to our sport. I’m looking at like, there’s a shortage of bikes, they have a factory sitting there making surplus bikes, why not see if a deal can be made to get them back on their feet, or if they can even sell their Motocross side of industry off and have the brand represented on a different bike?

Suzuki will get good representation, the other OEM will get another factory manufacturing bikes. Seams like a win-win, no?
I dont know if these guys are like 5 or 10 years old,to make comments like this,comparing a corporation like Suzuki,to a much smaler KTM,and let me put thins info perspectiv,if it wasnt for red Bull sponsorship,their racing efforts would be like less thsn half the size they are now
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/17/2020 11:23am
KTM could probably pay Suzuki to utilize some of Suzuki's production capacity, but I don't see it happening. KTM already has plenty of production capacity and they are far more nimble with it anyway. Suzuki is an awfully big ship, so they can't make changes as quickly as I'm sure the Austrian company would prefer.
Plus, I imagine Suzuki is using most or all of its capacity for its own products right now. They recently built an all-new factory in Japan to pick up some slack. I don't see them farming any of it out.

As for the 2004 deal, Suzuki and Kawasaki entered a partnership to fill each other's missing spots. Suzuki didn't have a 65cc or 100cc motocross bike, and Kawasaki didn't have a 400cc sport ATV or dual sport. So, we ended up with RM65s, RM100s, KFX400s and KLX400s. They put yellow plastic on the KXes and green on the LT and DR-Z models. Both companies jointly developed the KXF and RM-Z250 initial models.
gt80rider
11/17/2020 11:23am
Jesus fucking Christ some of you people are so God damn stupid. Suzuki American R&D stopped development of MX bikes in the U.S. not in Japan...

lost me after the first sentence.. I will assume the rest was the same drool as the first... internet noobs.... LOL
bestmx
11/17/2020 11:41am
malachi177 wrote:
Why cause he’s 100% right? KTM buying out Suzuki is funny stuff. KTM nuthuggers are sure on a self proclaimed pedestal thinking their brand is so...
Why cause he’s 100% right? KTM buying out Suzuki is funny stuff. KTM nuthuggers are sure on a self proclaimed pedestal thinking their brand is so much better than every other brand. If Suzuki focuses on being dominant in mx again the pumpkin patch will be eating humble pie.
Oh my god. Where in my post did I suggest KTM buying Suzuki????

To summarise I suggested that maybe another Japanese OEM should consider looking in to that ‘S’ logo and replicating the KTM business model.

Hence the RM 100 (KX 100) I put in my post from when Kawi/ Suzuki paired up before.

My ultimate points were - would you be more inclined to buy an RMZ as it stands. Or a Yellow, let’s say Kawasaki for the point of this argument?

With regards to the comments about Suzuki being a multi million pound organisation, the fact they’re laying people off doesn’t mean anything - it clearly does.

So, why not get some Kawi’s on a Suzuki production line, get a race winning bike (not saying the current RM isn’t), a bike that will sell and make money off the royalties of the badge?

Kawi get more bikes on the show room floor - using Suzuki’s production lines/ distribution network and I’m sure Suzuki would get more money overall..
bestmx
11/17/2020 11:52am
Falcon wrote:
KTM could probably pay Suzuki to utilize some of Suzuki's production capacity, but I don't see it happening. KTM already has plenty of production capacity and...
KTM could probably pay Suzuki to utilize some of Suzuki's production capacity, but I don't see it happening. KTM already has plenty of production capacity and they are far more nimble with it anyway. Suzuki is an awfully big ship, so they can't make changes as quickly as I'm sure the Austrian company would prefer.
Plus, I imagine Suzuki is using most or all of its capacity for its own products right now. They recently built an all-new factory in Japan to pick up some slack. I don't see them farming any of it out.

As for the 2004 deal, Suzuki and Kawasaki entered a partnership to fill each other's missing spots. Suzuki didn't have a 65cc or 100cc motocross bike, and Kawasaki didn't have a 400cc sport ATV or dual sport. So, we ended up with RM65s, RM100s, KFX400s and KLX400s. They put yellow plastic on the KXes and green on the LT and DR-Z models. Both companies jointly developed the KXF and RM-Z250 initial models.
I wasn’t suggesting that KTM take over, I was saying another Japanese OEM could look to replicate KTM’s business model- same bike, different colour.

Suzuki are clearly struggling in our sport - Covid, bla, bla, bla.. but as said above Roger left, then this, then this, then this..

It’s not a new thing.

Suzuki just aren’t invested in the sport like they used to be, so what do they do?

As you saw, I put the yellow kx 100 in my post - wrongfully assuming people would understand.

Would it not be better for everyone to just make yellow hondas/ kawis/ Yamaha’s and be done with it?
Donkey Kong
11/17/2020 11:57am
bestmx wrote:
Oh my god. Where in my post did I suggest KTM buying Suzuki???? To summarise I suggested that maybe another Japanese OEM should consider looking in...

To summarise I suggested that maybe another Japanese OEM should consider looking in to that ‘S’ logo and replicating the KTM business model.

Hence the RM 100 (KX 100) I put in my post from when Kawi/ Suzuki paired up before.

My ultimate points were - would you be more inclined to buy an RMZ as it stands. Or a Yellow, let’s say Kawasaki for the point of this argument?

With regards to the comments about Suzuki being a multi million pound organisation, the fact they’re laying people off doesn’t mean anything - it clearly does.

So, why not get some Kawi’s on a Suzuki production line, get a race winning bike (not saying the current RM isn’t), a bike that will sell and make money off the royalties of the badge?

Kawi get more bikes on the show room floor - using Suzuki’s production lines/ distribution network and I’m sure Suzuki would get more money overall..
"Oh my god. Where in my post did I suggest KTM buying Suzuki????"

The title of the post? Lmao
Donkey Kong
11/17/2020 12:01pm
I'm a gorilla, I live in the zoo.
bestmx
11/17/2020 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 12:06pm
bestmx wrote:
Oh my god. Where in my post did I suggest KTM buying Suzuki???? To summarise I suggested that maybe another Japanese OEM should consider looking in...

"Oh my god. Where in my post did I suggest KTM buying Suzuki????"

The title of the post? Lmao
Are you that backward? Austrian model- business model. I’d have titled it: “yellow KTM’s (Suzuki) if that’s what I was implying.

Nor would I have suggested another Japanese manufacturer replicating KTMs methods.

Or featured a Yellow Kawasaki in the post!!!
bestmx
11/17/2020 12:05pm
I'm a gorilla, I live in the zoo.
Definitely have the same brain capacity as one. Laughing
M-M
11/17/2020 12:09pm
News flash.

Suzuki make a lot more than motorcycles. No way In hell would they sell their motorcycle division to a rival 🤣

yz133rider
11/17/2020 12:11pm
malachi177 wrote:
Why cause he’s 100% right? KTM buying out Suzuki is funny stuff. KTM nuthuggers are sure on a self proclaimed pedestal thinking their brand is so...
Honda has thrown down the gauntlet with 2 generations of 450s now going for ktm and has still come up short.

For the 17 450r they pulled in new management, new test riders, hired Ken Roczen etc etc

In their own press release they said the 21 450r was going to be the lightest in class. I guess they themselves consider the Austrian bikes in a different class because they’re still 10lbs heavier than the ktms. They are the lightest Japanese bikes tho now.

Anyway to say that the Japanese are allowing ktm to crush it seems to be completely fake news.

Honda has gone after them, and still hasn’t gotten it done.
Donkey Kong
11/17/2020 12:19pm
bestmx wrote:
Definitely have the same brain capacity as one. Laughing
It's just vital bro don't take it personally.
Donkey Kong
11/17/2020 12:25pm
bestmx wrote:

If you thought your Suzuki should be a yellow KTM post wasn't gona get hate on vital idk what to say. Also this same type of analysis that Kawi should make bikes for Suzuki is the reason why your original post is so off, it's mental masturbation at best but more so just an over used meme at this point. Also this ain't the 2004 4 stroke boom, they are direct competitors and there are no alliances.
bestmx
11/17/2020 12:36pm
bestmx wrote:

If you thought your Suzuki should be a yellow KTM post wasn't gona get hate on vital idk what to say. Also this same type of...
If you thought your Suzuki should be a yellow KTM post wasn't gona get hate on vital idk what to say. Also this same type of analysis that Kawi should make bikes for Suzuki is the reason why your original post is so off, it's mental masturbation at best but more so just an over used meme at this point. Also this ain't the 2004 4 stroke boom, they are direct competitors and there are no alliances.
Where do I say Suzuki should be a yellow KTM??

I’m saying, why aren’t the Japanese jumping on the KTM business model and buying out the struggling brands, slapping their logo on the existing product and taking up more of the market?

Honda could throw a simple mail Suzuki’s way like- you guys are struggling, want to make a deal?

You say it’s crazy but, look at the car industry. We’ve got BMW powered Supras, Subaru powered Toyotas.. All effectively competitors, but you got to do what’s in your best interest.

With Suzuki right now, would you agree that they’d be in a better place if the bikes were Yellow Kawasaki’s or Hondas....?

And no, it’s not 2004. But as said above, there’s a lack of bikes right now. Suzuki’s clearly not getting the sales they want, why can’t another OEM utilise their lines to make better bikes and slap a Suzuki badge on it?
OLDMOTO
11/17/2020 1:12pm
bestmx wrote:

If you thought your Suzuki should be a yellow KTM post wasn't gona get hate on vital idk what to say. Also this same type of...
bestmx wrote:
Where do I say Suzuki should be a yellow KTM?? I’m saying, why aren’t the Japanese jumping on the KTM business model and buying out the...

I’m saying, why aren’t the Japanese jumping on the KTM business model and buying out the struggling brands, slapping their logo on the existing product and taking up more of the market?

Honda could throw a simple mail Suzuki’s way like- you guys are struggling, want to make a deal?

You say it’s crazy but, look at the car industry. We’ve got BMW powered Supras, Subaru powered Toyotas.. All effectively competitors, but you got to do what’s in your best interest.

With Suzuki right now, would you agree that they’d be in a better place if the bikes were Yellow Kawasaki’s or Hondas....?

And no, it’s not 2004. But as said above, there’s a lack of bikes right now. Suzuki’s clearly not getting the sales they want, why can’t another OEM utilise their lines to make better bikes and slap a Suzuki badge on it?
When two manufacturers combine to produce a product they see a significant demand for that specific product. There are agreements as to where the products are sold, trim levels and pricing.

The motocross market isn't sufficient for such an endeavor. Motocross sales are not booming, there is a shortage of the intended yearly production due to the pandemic and a good temporary uptick in sales from the quarantine. The factories only want to produce what they project they can sell in a model year. Over-producing creates a surplus that brings the price down and cuts into the next model year sales.
OEMs don't manufacture as many 600cc sport bikes and don't put a lot of money in to R&D because there is a limited demand for anymore.

Look at Harley Davidson's financial troubles for an example. Their main market was 45 to 65 year old white middle class men with enough disposable income to support the high price. Their market (according to them)is dying off at a rapid rate. They've been scrambling trying to repackage their outdated product to appeal to a new markets. There also trying to produce electric bikes and small displacement lower cost transportation bikes. Their big bikes don't sell like they used to and they need other products to fill the void. HD is not trendy anymore. Young people don't want them to any great extent.

Why do you think KTM married into India? To produce small cheap motorcycles.
OLDMOTO
11/17/2020 1:13pm
When two manufacturers combine to produce a product they see a significant demand for that specific product. There are agreements as to where the products are sold, trim levels and pricing.

The motocross market isn't sufficient for such an endeavor. Motocross sales are not booming, there is a shortage of the intended yearly production due to the pandemic and a good temporary uptick in sales from the quarantine. The factories only want to produce what they project they can sell in a model year. Over-producing creates a surplus that brings the price down and cuts into the next model year sales.
OEMs don't manufacture as many 600cc sport bikes and don't put a lot of money in to R&D because there is a limited demand for anymore.

Look at Harley Davidson's financial troubles for an example. Their main market was 45 to 65 year old white middle class men with enough disposable income to support the high price. Their market (according to them)is dying off at a rapid rate. They've been scrambling trying to repackage their outdated product to appeal to a new markets. There also trying to produce electric bikes and small displacement lower cost transportation bikes. Their big bikes don't sell like they used to and they need other products to fill the void. HD is not trendy anymore. Young people don't want them to any great extent.

Why do you think KTM married into India? To produce small cheap motorcycles.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/17/2020 1:21pm
To answer succinctly, Suzuki is not a struggling brand.

Don't conflate Suzuki's "lack of develpment" and failure to win recent MX races as a sign that the business itself is hurting. They, like virtually every other brand that produces anything fun, are sold out of everything. If anything they are struggling to meet the 30% increase in Y-O-Y demand. MX bikes simply may not be a part of their plan for future success.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
11/17/2020 1:34pm
We have a Suzuki car even though they stopped selling in the US years ago. Never loved a little beater so much. Wish they would come back. Was in Japan this time last year and that samurai "S" is everywhere.
Bruce372
11/17/2020 1:43pm
Part of me died when I sold my last suzuki. Another part of me died when I saw Langhams bike for sale. Ive seen it in person and its an impressive bike.

Not many people think the suzuki mx bikes are good enough and don't buy them. Suzuki won't make a better bike because they don't sell enough. Its a sad loop and regardless of all the arguments in here, I can't see it changing.

I do still have a suzuki hat that I wore this week to celebrate their moto GP title.
RMT
11/17/2020 1:48pm
bestmx wrote:
Something I’ve thought about for about as long as Suzuki kept their last bikes going without update, but with the recent news of JGR having to...

Yes, lets have another color KTM! This is getting ridiculous.

malachi177
11/17/2020 1:53pm
bestmx wrote:

bestmx wrote:
Where do I say Suzuki should be a yellow KTM?? I’m saying, why aren’t the Japanese jumping on the KTM business model and buying out the...

You realize there are zero Kawasaki’s in MotoGP....guess that means they can’t make a good sport bike and should get Suzuki to make them for Kawi....sounds silly doesn’t it
bestmx
11/17/2020 2:11pm
bestmx wrote:

malachi177 wrote:
You realize there are zero Kawasaki’s in MotoGP....guess that means they can’t make a good sport bike and should get Suzuki to make them for Kawi....sounds...
You realize there are zero Kawasaki’s in MotoGP....guess that means they can’t make a good sport bike and should get Suzuki to make them for Kawi....sounds silly doesn’t it
No, you don’t say?

A Moto gp bike is a bit different to a mass produced dirt bike, don’t you think?

That’s not the logic at all any way.

My point above regarding car manufacturers utilising other manufacturers vehicles and putting a new badge on is the easiest way to describe it, as evidently people can’t get comprehend anything more.

It’s basically what KTM have done and I’m saying that the Japanese should take note and Suzuki is probably the 1 brand another OEM could could take on- Suzuki get a competitive bike that sells, the other OEM get their production/ distribution etc

Post a reply to: Austrian model in Japan - Suzuki

The Latest