Australian MX Tracks

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2019 11:13 AM

Hey everybody. So I’m currently vacationing in Australia for the next two weeks and wanted to check out some local shops and maybe a track or two. I’m in Sydney at the moment until Thursday the 18th and then fly to Perth to see family until 27th. If any of you Aussies on here know of some cool tracks or motorsport related shops or anything that aren’t too far away that would be much appreciated.

|

#SickYZBro

4/14/2019 1:28 PM

From Sydney you’re probably looking for Appin - https://www.mdmcs.com.au and Wollongong - http://www.wollongongmotorcycleclub.com for tracks.

|

4/14/2019 2:19 PM

No Appin is beyond shit.
Not really any impressive shops to wander around in.

|

4/14/2019 2:47 PM

|

4/14/2019 2:57 PM

If you want to see some beautiful scenery I suggest the following modification to the route:
Scenic route
From Mount Kembla, take the ocean road via Bulli and Stanwell tops. Will be a very nice drive!

|

4/14/2019 2:59 PM

Mt Kembla track. Nice drive down there. Great scenery, especially from look outs top of the range, see the track, get some lunch and stop at Appin on way back if still interested.
Personally I think there's better things to do in Sydney if you're from overseas like Taronga zoo, Manly ferry trip, Bondi beach, the Opera house, Harbour bridge climb etc than look at a track you can't ride.
|

4/14/2019 3:04 PM

Freddyfred wrote:

If you want to see some beautiful scenery I suggest the following modification to the route:
Scenic route
From Mount Kembla, take the ocean road via Bulli and Stanwell tops. Will be a very nice drive!

Bulli pass lookout
Photo
https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast/wollongong-and-surrounds/bulli/attractions/sublime-point-lookout
https://www.australiantraveller.com/nsw/south-coast/wollongong/the-gong-beach-hit-list/
Photo

|

4/14/2019 3:11 PM

Lakes is good if prepped. Near Toronto heading towards Newcastle.

|

4/14/2019 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2019 3:18 PM

Freddyfred wrote:

Scenic route

If you do this then consider having lunch at Scarborough Hotel too.

http://www.thescarboroughhotel.com.au

|

4/14/2019 3:16 PM

Underground wrote:

Mt Kembla track. Nice drive down there. Great scenery, especially from look outs top of the range, see the track, get some lunch and stop at Appin on way back if still interested.
Personally I think there's better things to do in Sydney if you're from overseas like Taronga zoo, Manly ferry trip, Bondi beach, the Opera house, Harbour bridge climb etc than look at a track you can't ride.

Yep, see some of the tourist stuff but if you want a local's pick, go see Young Henry's brewery in Newtown and drink a Newtowner. After that, walk down the road to 6 Mary St, Newtown to Mary's for the incredible burgers. No signs outside, just a red light bulb and a security guard.

|

4/14/2019 4:14 PM

While in Perth you could obviously check out Manjimup which is where the 92 des Nations were held.. but I just had to google it cause it was almost 30 years ago and I was 13 but according to them it's a 3 1/2 hour drive but one thing I do remember is the awesome scenery and the biggest fricken trees I've ever seen haha (I'm sure there's more than big fricken trees to look out), so could be worth the effort but I also remember plenty of 7ft roos to ruin the front end of ya rental, so be on the lookout haha

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/14/2019 5:07 PM

In Perth, Google AJS Motorcycle Club and Coastals Motorcycle Club for 2 gnarly sand tracks with good viewing. Lightweight Motorcycle Club (Byford) also has good viewing. All 3 are within an hour of the CBD. Not sure what events are on as I'm out of the loop.

Manjimup is well worth the drive as the drive itself is great once you get beyond Bunbury (2 hours south of Perth, straight and boring drive. Manjumup is about 3.5 hours south of Perth). For an even more scenic route, head down via Margaret River and then trek east. Some massive hills and trees and some awesome scenery. Margaret River hosts a round of the World Surf League each year. You'll want a full day (or 2) to explore as the round trip from Perth would be around 400 miles if you took this route. Manjimup circuit is one of the most scenic in the country and well worth the visit.

Each year when Manjimup hosts its annual 15,000 event that attracts a lot of Australia's top talent, I head to Margaret River for sunrise for a couple of hours of epic mountain biking, followed by breakfast in town and checking out the spot where the WSL gets held (a sight in itself), then head across to Manjimup to watch the racing, before heading back to base in Bunbury. One of the most epic days of the year for me.

|

4/14/2019 5:22 PM

Not really much to do in Australia as far as an MX pilgrimage.Our tracks are smaller, not very well prepped and less accessible than what you are used to. Our bike stores aren't anything near the scale of the US dealers. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Go do the cool touristy stuff instead, climb the bridge, ride the manly ferry, get a surf lesson at Bondi and head up to the blue mountains, that sort of thing.

|

4/14/2019 6:37 PM

As mentioned, All our tracks are smaller and more of a stadium cross set up.
Mt Kembla is a fun track to ride and a nice area for a drive.
I wouldn't waste time going to Appin. its okay if you live here and just want to cut laps close to home.. But nothing special.
If your up for a drive and have the time, the most popular track the moment is Cessnock MX. Fun track, well prepped and great vibe when there.
Perth, cant go wrong with Manjimup!

Vic is where most of our better tracks are, and its a hell of a road trip to go to just for a ride.

Bikes store again is a piss pour effort from most of our bike shops. As above said, Do the tourist stuff and visit places like the Sydney Harbour, Go a bit north towards Newcastle and Visit Caves beach. its worth the drive and have a really nice pub to have a beer and a feed at.

|

4/14/2019 7:03 PM

Unless you were planning on riding/racing I wouldn't drive all the way from Sydney to go to Lakes, Cessnock or Maitland, and they're my local tracks. Barleigh Ranch is decent but unless they have the National, it's not worth it either.

|

4/14/2019 10:58 PM

Not sure about over east, but how’s old mate gonna ride any WA tracks without national licence or club memberships? Unless he lines it up with a ride park day....

|

4/15/2019 1:26 AM

Kinda outta luck being in NSW then West Australia....Victoria is pretty good..
Park 4 in Melbourne ooen Thursdays and weekends, Krusics 3 hrs East of Melbourne, open weekends, Ride Park at baccus marsh about an hour west of Melbourne, open weekends and Chesney Vale ride park 2 hrs north of Melbourne, open on weekends and they have a brand new 2019 ktm 350 for hire....none of these tracks have any association with or even anything to do with the MA ( motorcycling Asphyxiated) parasites and all 4 tracks are prepped perfectly with pride by profesionals...

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/15/2019 1:29 AM

Fresh wrote:

Not sure about over east, but how’s old mate gonna ride any WA tracks without national licence or club memberships? Unless he lines it up with a ride park day....

Has the AMA got a foothold in the West yet? They are doing wonders over in the East

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/15/2019 1:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 1:55 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

Park 4 in Melbourne ooen Thursdays and weekends, Krusics 3 hrs East of Melbourne, open weekends, Ride Park at baccus marsh about an hour west of Melbourne, open weekends and Chesney Vale ride park 2 hrs north of Melbourne, open on weekends and they have a brand new 2019 ktm 350 for hire....none of these tracks have any association with or even anything to do with the MA ( motorcycling Asphyxiated) parasites and all 4 tracks are prepped perfectly with pride by profesionals...

My best mate just moved to Vic before Chrissy and is about 30 minutes south of Krusics. Poor bugger had his left arm butchered in an effort to fix *some old moto *injuries and can't ride anymore.

|

4/15/2019 2:23 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

EZZA 95B wrote:

My best mate just moved to Vic before Chrissy and is about 30 minutes south of Krusics. Poor bugger had his left arm butchered in an effort to fix *some old moto *injuries and can't ride anymore.

That truly sucks! Sol sorry for tge guy...
I haven't ridden Krusiks yet but it looks fantastic in the photos ive seen...

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/15/2019 3:19 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

Krusics is a good time always a good place to ride after some rain the soil loves abit of rain, I’m about 2 hrs from krusics been there abit,
They are having a thumpercross race this Sunday

|

4/15/2019 3:45 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

Tim271 wrote:

Krusics is a good time always a good place to ride after some rain the soil loves abit of rain, I’m about 2 hrs from krusics been there abit,
They are having a thumpercross race this Sunday

Yeah I saw that...good on them! Love that they are rubbing MA's noses in it...proving how unnecessary they really are .
Riders there will be enjoying fun ,hassle free and affordable racing!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/15/2019 2:53 PM

Thanks boys for the all the input. When I get to Perth we will have a rental car and be with some family. Hopefully I can grab my cousins and try to check out some of those places you mentioned.

|

#SickYZBro

4/15/2019 8:36 PM

haydos25 wrote:

Not really much to do in Australia as far as an MX pilgrimage.Our tracks are smaller, not very well prepped and less accessible than what you are used to. Our bike stores aren't anything near the scale of the US dealers. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Go do the cool touristy stuff instead, climb the bridge, ride the manly ferry, get a surf lesson at Bondi and head up to the blue mountains, that sort of thing.

Blue Mountains were neat, but man is it a mission to get there from Sydney. Only neat part was stopping to eat at The Yellow Deli after and finding out later that it’s ran by an old religious cult started in Tennessee in 1972, called “The Twelve Tribes”. blink

|

Do It In The Dirt!

4/15/2019 9:17 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Blue Mountains were neat, but man is it a mission to get there from Sydney. Only neat part was stopping to eat at The Yellow Deli after and finding out later that it’s ran by an old religious cult started in Tennessee in 1972, called “The Twelve Tribes”. blink

You're not wrong about getting there being a bit rough, i live at the bottom of the blue mountains and work at the airport. It's one hell of a commute each day, quite a few podcast hours racked up each week.

|

4/15/2019 9:37 PM

haydos25 wrote:

Zeke27G wrote:

haydos25 wrote:

You're not wrong about getting there being a bit rough, i live at the bottom of the blue mountains and work at the airport. It's one hell of a commute each day, quite a few podcast hours racked up each week.

I dont know how people live like that....wouldn't trade country living for city life ever...
Living in a more rural area but having to commute into shitville every day for work must be particularly galling!
It sucks sometimes , having to do what you have to just to make a living..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/15/2019 9:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 9:41 PM

The Blue Mountains is full of "Space Cadets". There are lots of 'different' groups, with vast differences on the Socio/Economic scale. Katoomba, and it's locales, has a big population of Millionaires, through to 'Aspirational' Middle Class, and a heck of a lot of desperate druggies.

But, also, good, mostly normal people.

I lived in Katoomba when I was (very) young, then got to the base of the mountains at Emu Plains, and, have houses / properties through to Lithgow, so, have ridden through the BMs for decades now. Though, you are a bad man in most's eyes riding a Dirt Bike there now - fug 'em all. I ride fully licensed, rego'd and with a (very) Quiet bike. Nowadays, MTBers are continually claiming MC trails that have been in use by MCs and we very early MTBers for decades . It gets old with how some of those wankers carry on. I, by the way, make Bicycle and MC frames.

This Vice story is pretty spot on, with it's analogy about the 'Twin Peaks' feel to Katoomba, and much of the Blue Mountains (well, many communities along the entire Great Dividing Range):

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/nnkngd/visiting-the-cafe-thats-so-good-people-ignore-its-run-by-a-cult

The Blue Mountains has amazing riding, but now, you are often made to feel like a criminal doing just that. It doesn't help our cause that nowadays, too many riders get around on incredibly loud 4ts , disturbing the peace of others. I despise those pricks, just as much - well, more - as I despise the Space Cadets and rampant, zero tolerance Greenies.

|

4/15/2019 9:46 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

I dont know how people live like that....wouldn't trade country living for city life ever...
Living in a more rural area but having to commute into shitville every day for work must be particularly galling!

Unfortunately the city is where the money is for many professions, and especially the corporate world so you have to take the good with the bad. It's not by choice believe me.

I will take the 2 hour drive each day over the alternative which is living in a 1 bedroom apartment that costs nearly a million dollars. Its a changing world that's for sure

|

4/15/2019 11:40 PM

haydos25 wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

haydos25 wrote:

Unfortunately the city is where the money is for many professions, and especially the corporate world so you have to take the good with the bad. It's not by choice believe me.

I will take the 2 hour drive each day over the alternative which is living in a 1 bedroom apartment that costs nearly a million dollars. Its a changing world that's for sure

Yes I suppose its job dependent..where you have to live. However I often meet people, and more and more its younger people that have gotten the fuck outta dodge and moved to regional centres like Albury Wodonga and Wangaratta / Benalla where they have taken a lower paying job to enjoy the much more affordable living and relaxed lifestyle...its gotta be a big leap of faith I suppose but those Ive met just love it.
I try to avoid going anywhere near Melbourne, but I started heading down the Hume to Park 4 to ride a while back, went there on a weekday once for a riding school and was about 15 km up the Hume from where it ends and came to a walking pace gridlock...thought it must have been an accident...nope ! Just the typical weekday morning deal apparently!
All the cars merging onto the "" freeway " from all the brand new northern suburbs of Melbourne....took an insane amount of time just to go those few k's...and those poor bastards have to do that every day!????

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

4/17/2019 4:23 PM

Can you push the trip out a few days, There's a junior and senior a state round 15 mins south of Perth the weekend of the 27th and 28th, its the first round so should be a good turnout!

|

Just an old ex racer who wasnt as fast or as cool as he thought he was!!!