Australia Not Going To MXoN

wicksy85
Fantasy
1579th
9/9/2021 4:56am
It's easy enough to fly out, getting home is the hard part, know a family who has been there since before Loretta's and they can't get home, flights fill up way to quick or the flights are in excess of $15k each to fly home then the shitty fucking quarantine
McG194
9/9/2021 7:42am
MO 23 wrote:
I think you sadly do not know much about what is happening in Aus, despite having a very strong opinion. Outside of Melbourne, most Australians had...
I think you sadly do not know much about what is happening in Aus, despite having a very strong opinion.

Outside of Melbourne, most Australians had very little time in lockdown last year and up until about June this year. Delta has f**ked us a bit, since and we don't have vaccination rates up to an acceptable rate yet.
We have a geographical advantage, and that combined with shutting borders, and localized lockdowns kept our deaths to around 1000 last year (so there have been some significant upsides to our strategy). whilst almost all citizens had very few restrictions. infact i was going to football games with 80k fans when most of the worlds sports were being played without fans.
Unfortunately we are now where a lot of you guys were 12 months ago. unfortunately some of the strategies we used last year, are not as effective against delta.
We will be fine, and the protests have actually been quite small. most people here support some level of lockdown until we get the vaccinations to an acceptable level. I am currently under a lockdown, it sucks and i am over it. But I personally don't think we should "let it rip" until we have vaccinations up to the 70-80% mark
There have been plenty of protests all around the world, and i don't see a correlation with gun laws.
I saw plenty of much larger protests with confrontation between police (and military) and protesters in the US last year. Were you calling it "tyranny" then? or is it only tyranny when you agree with the protesters?

Here is a newsflash, Covid has caused problems in every corner of the world. It is hard to make everyone happy, rich and safe. Australia is no different, we have done some things great through the pandemic, and some things poorly.

As far as our economy, we are one of just a few developed countries with positive growth from before the pandemic.
So some sectors (tourism etc) are f**ked. most are fine
Our economy is larger now than 2019....so its not all doom and gloom

Its still a pretty f**king great place to live (and that's not to say plenty of other places in the world are not also great)

Not everything is as dramatic as it seems when you look at a 10 second news clip

Now specifically about the statement of "In Australia you don't understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment"
That may or may not be true. But in Australia we do not want an equivalent, the vast majority of citizens support our gun laws. we are free to make the laws that we want for our country. just as you are for yours
McG194 wrote:
I don't have a strong opinion because it doesn't affect me whatsoever. I just am surprised at the willingness of Aussies to submit to government overreach...
I don't have a strong opinion because it doesn't affect me whatsoever.

I just am surprised at the willingness of Aussies to submit to government overreach. Granted I'm mostly ignorant of Australian culture but I've always thought of you guys as fiercely independent free thinking people who just wanted others to leave them the eff alone.
seth505 wrote:
Let us know when you start shooting cops/government employees due to your 2nd amendment right. Probably not going to happen, even tho we had to wear...
Let us know when you start shooting cops/government employees due to your 2nd amendment right. Probably not going to happen, even tho we had to wear masks that people sure do complain about, tho didn’t go as far to over throw “tyranny”. So how is Australia any different than us?
It is not that we are going to go around shooting cops, personally I hope that would never happen. The fact that the public is well armed is a deterrent. It is along the lines of Yamamoto's rumored quote "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." Can the general public fight off an invading army? Most likely not but resistance is a strong deterrent.

The Shop

145mx
9/9/2021 7:52am
I wouldn't put it past countries like Australia to follow the USAs lead and pull out in hope they cancel it.
9/9/2021 8:11am
McG194 wrote:
It is not that we are going to go around shooting cops, personally I hope that would never happen. The fact that the public is well...
It is not that we are going to go around shooting cops, personally I hope that would never happen. The fact that the public is well armed is a deterrent. It is along the lines of Yamamoto's rumored quote "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." Can the general public fight off an invading army? Most likely not but resistance is a strong deterrent.
Spending 778 billion a year on defence is a better deterrent.
McG194
9/9/2021 8:17am
MO 23 wrote:
I think you sadly do not know much about what is happening in Aus, despite having a very strong opinion. Outside of Melbourne, most Australians had...
I think you sadly do not know much about what is happening in Aus, despite having a very strong opinion.

Outside of Melbourne, most Australians had very little time in lockdown last year and up until about June this year. Delta has f**ked us a bit, since and we don't have vaccination rates up to an acceptable rate yet.
We have a geographical advantage, and that combined with shutting borders, and localized lockdowns kept our deaths to around 1000 last year (so there have been some significant upsides to our strategy). whilst almost all citizens had very few restrictions. infact i was going to football games with 80k fans when most of the worlds sports were being played without fans.
Unfortunately we are now where a lot of you guys were 12 months ago. unfortunately some of the strategies we used last year, are not as effective against delta.
We will be fine, and the protests have actually been quite small. most people here support some level of lockdown until we get the vaccinations to an acceptable level. I am currently under a lockdown, it sucks and i am over it. But I personally don't think we should "let it rip" until we have vaccinations up to the 70-80% mark
There have been plenty of protests all around the world, and i don't see a correlation with gun laws.
I saw plenty of much larger protests with confrontation between police (and military) and protesters in the US last year. Were you calling it "tyranny" then? or is it only tyranny when you agree with the protesters?

Here is a newsflash, Covid has caused problems in every corner of the world. It is hard to make everyone happy, rich and safe. Australia is no different, we have done some things great through the pandemic, and some things poorly.

As far as our economy, we are one of just a few developed countries with positive growth from before the pandemic.
So some sectors (tourism etc) are f**ked. most are fine
Our economy is larger now than 2019....so its not all doom and gloom

Its still a pretty f**king great place to live (and that's not to say plenty of other places in the world are not also great)

Not everything is as dramatic as it seems when you look at a 10 second news clip

Now specifically about the statement of "In Australia you don't understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment"
That may or may not be true. But in Australia we do not want an equivalent, the vast majority of citizens support our gun laws. we are free to make the laws that we want for our country. just as you are for yours
McG194 wrote:
I don't have a strong opinion because it doesn't affect me whatsoever. I just am surprised at the willingness of Aussies to submit to government overreach...

I just am surprised at the willingness of Aussies to submit to government overreach. Granted I'm mostly ignorant of Australian culture but I've always thought of you guys as fiercely independent free thinking people who just wanted others to leave them the eff alone.
MO 23 wrote:
Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way...
Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way as you on this instance?

Like I said up until June this year, most have not been in lockdown much. The economy is pretty strong and life has been good.
The wheels fell off around June.

And you say we are submitting to government overreach, most in aus are happy with the governments actions (for the most part). Whilst some parts are a struggle, and the vaccine rollout has been a screw up. But there are upsides.
Look at our deaths per million residents. The strategy has had upsides.

"Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way as you on this instance?"

No, I'm questioning the "independent thinkers" because the Aussies on here have a pretty homogenous line of thought and have admitted that the government knows what is best for them. That's kinda the opposite of independent.
Mr. Afterbar
9/9/2021 8:44am
fanger wrote:
Do you have to pay to get vaccinated in America?
The government pays you to get vaccinated in America. That’s right, using tax payers money to encourage people to get vaccinated. Believe it or not.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/9/2021 8:45am
McG194 wrote:

seth505 wrote:
Let us know when you start shooting cops/government employees due to your 2nd amendment right. Probably not going to happen, even tho we had to wear...
Let us know when you start shooting cops/government employees due to your 2nd amendment right. Probably not going to happen, even tho we had to wear masks that people sure do complain about, tho didn’t go as far to over throw “tyranny”. So how is Australia any different than us?
McG194 wrote:
It is not that we are going to go around shooting cops, personally I hope that would never happen. The fact that the public is well...
These days, most Americans with their own "arsenal" would sit the in the corner and cry if they actually had to fight.

Didn't mean to come off harsh to you specifically but I'm just sick of the "we are big bad Americans, we'd never let this happen" kind of thing. That said, bummer that USA and the Aussies aren't going to the race but not much of a surprise.
SilverSpurs
9/9/2021 9:01am
145mx wrote:
I wouldn't put it past countries like Australia to follow the USAs lead and pull out in hope they cancel it.
Nobody 'hopes they cancel it'.

There are a lot of unknowns as well as the difficult knowns and it is a big commitment in time and money to travel from Australia to Italy.

It has always been a big effort to get to Europe to race bikes.
MO 23
9/9/2021 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 1:06am
McG194 wrote:

MO 23 wrote:
Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way...
Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way as you on this instance?

Like I said up until June this year, most have not been in lockdown much. The economy is pretty strong and life has been good.
The wheels fell off around June.

And you say we are submitting to government overreach, most in aus are happy with the governments actions (for the most part). Whilst some parts are a struggle, and the vaccine rollout has been a screw up. But there are upsides.
Look at our deaths per million residents. The strategy has had upsides.

McG194 wrote:
[i]"Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way...
"Yeah, and I would say we are independent thinkers, but let me guess, you think we are not, because we are not thinking the same way as you on this instance?"

No, I'm questioning the "independent thinkers" because the Aussies on here have a pretty homogenous line of thought and have admitted that the government knows what is best for them. That's kinda the opposite of independent.
You are saying you have changed your opinion as to whether we are independent thinkers because we are reasonably unified on one single issue?
Being an independent thinker does not mean you have to be divided on every single issue. You can independently arrive at the same conclusion.
Division for the sake of it is not “independent thinking” it is just division.

The simple fact is, we had essentially eliminated Covid for 18 months. (This is still the case excluding Melbourne and Sydney)
Now we have 2 cities in lockdown (granted they are our largest cities) we all want to end lockdowns, but the general consensus is "let's wait another month or so until we hit vaccine rate targets". It makes sense to most in Aus that we should not undo the hard work last year by opening up before we hit our vaccination targets. It is also about protecting the rest of the country as they are not in any kind of lockdown. And more to the point, some people did not even have the ability to get vaccinated until the last month or so (the vaccine roll out is something our government fucked up).

Sometimes in challenging times it’s also important for a country to be unified.

Have a good evening McG

Post a reply to: Australia Not Going To MXoN

The Latest