Austin Tx Tracks

Yamaha573
5/1/2019 8:16pm
Looking at moving away from California in the next year or so and am curious on tracks out near Austin. I know the bigger name ones are closer towards Dallas but would like to hear from people that live in that area have to say.
|
5/1/2019 8:36pm
ADVMX, big night track open days as well. looks to me like milestone dirt. IMHO its the better track if you want some mix of ruts and jumps etc.
Close to COTA F1 track, but isn't "pretty land"

Murphy's MX - two tracks, one day one night - a clay with some sandy dirt in areas, consitently prepped each time - always about the same every ride day - no inconsistent preps. Generally easy jumps and generally no real ruts - but always prepared well/kinda shallow prep but good prep. Most popular track by far
Really nice property

Spoaks moto - red clay with some sand - gets big ruts on days they advertise deep prep. Pretty fun and large layout and track, some mix of smaller jumps with some larger jumps

Semi private but amazing track if your a good rider or can deal with sand - Red Rock mx. back when my shoulders stayed in place - my favorite track
Semi private but amazing track if your a bad ass rider (or love deep sand) - burnin dirt Back when my shoulders stayed in place - it was an ass kicking, fitness robbing, skill building, ego sapping place to train and ride when it rains super heavily. Can rain endlessly and it's open.

Floresville - cycle ranch, on it's good days its hard to beat, used to be the crown jewel of TX IMHO, multiple tracks - but usually only 1 prepped per day not all of them on 1 day. In general its a flowing, fast, wide, outdoor track with elevation. Dirt is deceptive - has less grip than it appears, but once you learn the dirt it's awesome.

marion tx has a little track rebranded recently called creekside mx. It has potential - and is a killer track for those with younger kids (two tracks) but it's a clay base dirt that gets hard quickly. Still fun and with new owner pit bike track is expanding and has really fun trails, along with creek access - kinda nice

All I can think of for now

milamcreek
5/1/2019 8:40pm
there are good tracks all around Texas
more choices in north Texas than in central Texas
I will be the one to say it though. if you are moving here and to Austin area I hope you are not bringing the same liberal policies that is destroying
California. please don't come here if you are.
oh crap did I just go political.
spimx
5/1/2019 9:46pm
As a town I would pick San Antonio over Austin. The amount of homeless in ATX is crazy. Definitely Dallas fw area has better tracks. I think Houston is a little better city and for tracks than ATX and the economy is crazy good in Houston. San Antonio would be my first choice if I were to move from the Rio grande valley.

Dallas FW has the best motocross
chewy4063
5/1/2019 9:57pm
Forget Austin. If I could do it over again I would have went to Fort Worth/Dallas. Counting the days until I move far away from Austin, 379!!

The above poster has all the area tracks listed with good detail.

The Shop

Moto88
5/1/2019 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2019 11:09pm
Derek Harris was exact! Hard to choose between ADV and Spoaks. Both are awesome and really cool owners. Good dirt too! Murphy’s fun but easy, cool family that runs it. Haven’t been to Redrock mx, want to but don’t know the owner-but there is a good GoPro of Andrew Short riding it on YouTube. Video speaks for itself! There are a lot of towns just outside of Austin to live and be close but not in the city (Buda, Kyle, San Marcos, Wimberley, Dripping Springs (all on the south side closer to moto)).
Johnny Depp
5/2/2019 6:25am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 6:26am
chewy4063 wrote:
Forget Austin. If I could do it over again I would have went to Fort Worth/Dallas. Counting the days until I move far away from Austin...
Forget Austin. If I could do it over again I would have went to Fort Worth/Dallas. Counting the days until I move far away from Austin, 379!!

The above poster has all the area tracks listed with good detail.
I assume you are talking about the City as opposed to the riding places? What happened to sour you? Pick up a Tranny at a bar? Unsure The beauty of the Austin Hill Country and Lakes is unmatched anywhere in TX.

Austin and Central TX is the best mix of MX and Off Road in the South part of the state for sure. There are the tracks mentioned above (nice job Derek) and another 10 or so Off Road private properties that run once or twice a year for the very popular TORCS series and the TSCEC also visits the area a few times a year. Most of the Houston and San Antonio and Valley riders migrate this way for riding opportunities since there is still more open land. Don't forget COTA where we just had the MotoGP and F1 visits every year.
wolf918
5/2/2019 7:12am
I assume you are talking about the City as opposed to the riding places? What happened to sour you? Pick up a Tranny at a bar...
I assume you are talking about the City as opposed to the riding places? What happened to sour you? Pick up a Tranny at a bar? Unsure The beauty of the Austin Hill Country and Lakes is unmatched anywhere in TX.

Austin and Central TX is the best mix of MX and Off Road in the South part of the state for sure. There are the tracks mentioned above (nice job Derek) and another 10 or so Off Road private properties that run once or twice a year for the very popular TORCS series and the TSCEC also visits the area a few times a year. Most of the Houston and San Antonio and Valley riders migrate this way for riding opportunities since there is still more open land. Don't forget COTA where we just had the MotoGP and F1 visits every year.
More open land? Where?
Hudd_421
5/2/2019 7:26am
Rode Red Rock once, it was amazing. Wish he would open again.
Motox627!
5/2/2019 7:35am
Yamaha573 wrote:
Looking at moving away from California in the next year or so and am curious on tracks out near Austin. I know the bigger name ones...
Looking at moving away from California in the next year or so and am curious on tracks out near Austin. I know the bigger name ones are closer towards Dallas but would like to hear from people that live in that area have to say.
Like some others have said, i would stay away from being in the city of Austin. You can find much nicer housing (and WAY more affordable) if you go to some of the smaller city's in the surrounding areas. The city is still 20-30 minutes away if you need to go there for work or whatever, but the surrounding areas are much nicer in my opinion and takes just as long to get to some of the tracks that are around. I would look at places like Round Rock, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, or Hutto.

Track wise - we ride Murphy's almost every weekend and love it there. Its not a hard track per se, but the property is beautiful and the friendships we have made there more than make up for it. You wont find nicer track owners around.
chewy4063
5/2/2019 7:36am
I assume you are talking about the City as opposed to the riding places? What happened to sour you? Pick up a Tranny at a bar...

Correct, the moto is good. I work EMS for the city and get to see all BS that goes on here. It’s a fun place to live if your college aged but after that it gets old real quick. The lakes are nice but it’s also not Austin haha. I grew up on the ocean so I’m ready to get back to that!
AJ565
5/2/2019 7:53am
Yamaha573 wrote:
Looking at moving away from California in the next year or so and am curious on tracks out near Austin. I know the bigger name ones...
Motox627! wrote:
Like some others have said, i would stay away from being in the city of Austin. You can find much nicer housing (and WAY more affordable)...
Like some others have said, i would stay away from being in the city of Austin. You can find much nicer housing (and WAY more affordable) if you go to some of the smaller city's in the surrounding areas. The city is still 20-30 minutes away if you need to go there for work or whatever, but the surrounding areas are much nicer in my opinion and takes just as long to get to some of the tracks that are around. I would look at places like Round Rock, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, or Hutto.

Track wise - we ride Murphy's almost every weekend and love it there. Its not a hard track per se, but the property is beautiful and the friendships we have made there more than make up for it. You wont find nicer track owners around.
I'll be there Sunday pending weather for the Yamaha ride day.
Johnny Depp
5/2/2019 7:57am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 7:59am

wolf918 wrote:
More open land? Where?
More open land as opposed to the urban sprawl that has engulfed Houston. The area South East of Austin towards Bastrop and Cedar Creek and Red Rock and Lockhart and Rockne and Colombus have held various forms of off road racing for 30 years or more, it is a hotbed of private properties that allow occasional TORCS, TSCEC, AMSA and DBSA events. The 3000 acre Hidden Falls Adventure park near Marble Falls is also a fine facility both for bikes, ATV's and Jeeps.
AJ565
5/2/2019 7:58am
Spoaks. Its changed a little bit, but not much. This wasn't a deep prep day.

https://youtu.be/m9g-g0_fZyo

Murphy's

https://youtu.be/YObz51ZJjWk

Cycle Ranch. This has changed a little bit in 2 sections. All of the jumps are the same, they just changed a few corners.

https://youtu.be/yENaNpVDwb4

I don't have any video from ADVMX yet. I've only been once, but I want to go back soon.
Johnny Depp
5/2/2019 8:02am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Matt is busy working for the Tomac's during the season, I would not be surprised if he made the property available late in the year in between seasons, when he has time to come home and prep it.
spimx
5/2/2019 8:15am

There is no truth to this, sorry. Austin hill country is ok, off-road and mx is better is Dallas FW area. Austin is becoming the Detroit of Texas with crime and homeless and people with shitty attitudes
wolf918
5/2/2019 8:16am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Matt is busy working for the Tomac's during the season, I would not be surprised if he made the property available late in the year in...
Matt is busy working for the Tomac's during the season, I would not be surprised if he made the property available late in the year in between seasons, when he has time to come home and prep it.
I didn’t know that, good to hear. I’d like to give red rock a ride. Still my favorite by far is spoakes. By far. Little bummed the fees went up, but I get it.
chewy4063
5/2/2019 8:28am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Matt is busy working for the Tomac's during the season, I would not be surprised if he made the property available late in the year in...
wolf918 wrote:
I didn’t know that, good to hear. I’d like to give red rock a ride. Still my favorite by far is spoakes. By far. Little bummed...
I didn’t know that, good to hear. I’d like to give red rock a ride. Still my favorite by far is spoakes. By far. Little bummed the fees went up, but I get it.
What are the fees? Since ADVMX has changed the layout a couple months ago it’s been a blast. Didn’t want to get off the track, was a nice change from Murphy’s. Haven’t been to Spoaks yet but it looks really nice.

Wish I was here this weekend, didn’t know there was a Yamaha ride day. Maybe the rain will reschedule it ?
wolf918
5/2/2019 8:53am
wolf918 wrote:
I didn’t know that, good to hear. I’d like to give red rock a ride. Still my favorite by far is spoakes. By far. Little bummed...
chewy4063 wrote:
What are the fees? Since ADVMX has changed the layout a couple months ago it’s been a blast. Didn’t want to get off the track, was...
What are the fees? Since ADVMX has changed the layout a couple months ago it’s been a blast. Didn’t want to get off the track, was a nice change from Murphy’s. Haven’t been to Spoaks yet but it looks really nice.

Wish I was here this weekend, didn’t know there was a Yamaha ride day. Maybe the rain will reschedule it ?
I shouldn’t have said fees, the entry got raised to 30$ is all. The track is way better in person than the pics show. I agree with everything Derrick said above except the red dirt. There is a lot of actual brown soft dirt that’s loam. At least when I’ve been there.
chewy4063
5/2/2019 9:11am
wolf918 wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:
What are the fees? Since ADVMX has changed the layout a couple months ago it’s been a blast. Didn’t want to get off the track, was...

wolf918 wrote:
I shouldn’t have said fees, the entry got raised to 30$ is all. The track is way better in person than the pics show. I agree...
I shouldn’t have said fees, the entry got raised to 30$ is all. The track is way better in person than the pics show. I agree with everything Derrick said above except the red dirt. There is a lot of actual brown soft dirt that’s loam. At least when I’ve been there.
Ahh gotcha. Murphy’s and ADVMX are $30 as well so that’s fine. Thought you were going to say $50 or something haha.
AJ565
5/2/2019 11:11am
chewy4063 wrote:
Ahh gotcha. Murphy’s and ADVMX are $30 as well so that’s fine. Thought you were going to say $50 or something haha.
So is Spoaks, but they are cash only.
Motox627!
5/2/2019 12:05pm
Yamaha573 wrote:
Motox627! wrote:
Like some others have said, i would stay away from being in the city of Austin. You can find much nicer housing (and WAY more affordable)...

AJ565 wrote:
I'll be there Sunday pending weather for the Yamaha ride day.
I think we are going Sat. also weather permitting...… But, if we go Sunday i will head over and say hi!

Also, nice work on the carbon fiber stuff on your Instagram! I have a 2008 VW R32 that i need some carbon stuff made up eventually if you might be interested?
AJ565
5/2/2019 1:40pm
Motox627! wrote:
I think we are going Sat. also weather permitting...… But, if we go Sunday i will head over and say hi! Also, nice work on the...
I think we are going Sat. also weather permitting...… But, if we go Sunday i will head over and say hi!

Also, nice work on the carbon fiber stuff on your Instagram! I have a 2008 VW R32 that i need some carbon stuff made up eventually if you might be interested?
Sorry, I'm not. I don't have enough time on my hands to get my stuff done let alone someone elses stuff.
Johnny Depp
5/2/2019 1:52pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
wolf918 wrote:
I’m Curious why you like Spoaks best?
Johnny Depp
5/2/2019 1:56pm

spimx wrote:
There is no truth to this, sorry. Austin hill country is ok, off-road and mx is better is Dallas FW area. Austin is becoming the Detroit...
There is no truth to this, sorry. Austin hill country is ok, off-road and mx is better is Dallas FW area. Austin is becoming the Detroit of Texas with crime and homeless and people with shitty attitudes
What part about SOUTH TX is untrue?

We can agree DFW is great and offers much, including a ever growing Indian food selection.
Braaaphole
5/2/2019 2:22pm
Yamaha573 wrote:
We have met and exceeded our quota on California transplants. Kindly find another state to seek refuge in. Thank you
wolf918
5/2/2019 2:45pm
wolf918 wrote:
Oh man. I’d say I like the environment, physically as well as the people that go there. Visibility and the dirt, this is huge for me since moving here. Reminds me of the pnw. I’m not a fan of the red sand that stains your equipment. Not to sound like a premadonna, but it’s a bitch keeping your stuff looking nice after riding in the red sand in these parts (getting old I guess). I like the variety of dirt, some hardpack (in the afternoon) to soft loam that always seems to be the right depth and moisture.

A couple corners in the back tend to develope long sweeping ruts that you can bury a 450 into. The kind that you can just lay it over and let it eat while exiting with the thought, yeah Tomac doesn’t have shit on me lmao. I love the flow of the track. It has a gp flow to it, I think anyways. I haven’t been back since the new jump was added so I don’t know about that but soon.

It’s just a very fun, confidence inspiring track that always leaves a smile on my face. When I can go ride and forget about life so effortlessly as I do when I go here, it’s worth every penny. This track does that for me!
MotoMo165
5/2/2019 3:20pm
wolf918 wrote:
wolf918 wrote:
Oh man. I’d say I like the environment, physically as well as the people that go there. Visibility and the dirt, this is huge for me...
Oh man. I’d say I like the environment, physically as well as the people that go there. Visibility and the dirt, this is huge for me since moving here. Reminds me of the pnw. I’m not a fan of the red sand that stains your equipment. Not to sound like a premadonna, but it’s a bitch keeping your stuff looking nice after riding in the red sand in these parts (getting old I guess). I like the variety of dirt, some hardpack (in the afternoon) to soft loam that always seems to be the right depth and moisture.

A couple corners in the back tend to develope long sweeping ruts that you can bury a 450 into. The kind that you can just lay it over and let it eat while exiting with the thought, yeah Tomac doesn’t have shit on me lmao. I love the flow of the track. It has a gp flow to it, I think anyways. I haven’t been back since the new jump was added so I don’t know about that but soon.

It’s just a very fun, confidence inspiring track that always leaves a smile on my face. When I can go ride and forget about life so effortlessly as I do when I go here, it’s worth every penny. This track does that for me!
My friend was at spokes like two weeks ago for the deep prep, the ruts looked incredible, dirt must be pretty nice there.
VetMX.com
5/2/2019 5:22pm
If you are a not a Liberal, I would recommend NW Houston area. You have Rio, 3 Palms (many tracks), Highlands and all of the tracks West like in San Antonio and Austin mentioned above.

The best dirt is Texas loam.
bonseff
5/2/2019 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 5:31pm
Bring your ridin' ass to Texas, I don't give a rat's ass what your political affiliation is!
I can't believe we are politicizing this bullshit.
bonseff
5/2/2019 5:40pm
I lived in Austin in the late 90's and I am now up in DFW and I can say for certain both areas have a strong moto community.

Post a reply to: Austin Tx Tracks

The Latest