Aussie Tourist in LA

DC193
Edited Date/Time 12/8/2019 1:47am

Hey people,

Family trip has me in LA for the middle few weeks of January. Already got me a ticket to Rd 3 in Anaheim but wondering if locals have any other suggestions to check off the MX bucket list while I’m in town.

Is a visit to the test tracks near corona possible, or do they frown on visitors? Or can you visit any of the headquarters for a tour?

thanks

DC193
|
BS12
12/6/2019 8:09pm
Drive to AZ the following week for round 4, then drive the following week to Oakland for round 5, then the following week down to SD for round 6. My ultimate 4 round dream that I'm too weak to commit to. Planned it out that I could see 4 races in something like 22 days Stateside.

I was there 5 years ago and back then you could just drive into the test tracks area (as in, no gates, not sure about permissions), however it was not during peak training period so there was no one around.
DC193
12/7/2019 2:39am
BS12 wrote:
Drive to AZ the following week for round 4, then drive the following week to Oakland for round 5, then the following week down to SD...
Drive to AZ the following week for round 4, then drive the following week to Oakland for round 5, then the following week down to SD for round 6. My ultimate 4 round dream that I'm too weak to commit to. Planned it out that I could see 4 races in something like 22 days Stateside.

I was there 5 years ago and back then you could just drive into the test tracks area (as in, no gates, not sure about permissions), however it was not during peak training period so there was no one around.
I wish I could see more races !

Family trip so wife and kids dictate my travel (except for my one night off to see Rd3)

Hoping I could at least travel past the Kawasaki test track and watch, given its more public location.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/7/2019 2:49am
DC193 wrote:
Hey people, Family trip has me in LA for the middle few weeks of January. Already got me a ticket to Rd 3 in Anaheim but...

Hey people,

Family trip has me in LA for the middle few weeks of January. Already got me a ticket to Rd 3 in Anaheim but wondering if locals have any other suggestions to check off the MX bucket list while I’m in town.

Is a visit to the test tracks near corona possible, or do they frown on visitors? Or can you visit any of the headquarters for a tour?

thanks

DC193
Will keep an eye out for you...

The Shop

12/7/2019 3:26am
I went to milestone and had a ride, went to Glen Helen for a look. Checked out Chapparal and pro circuit.
Do as much as possible while your there, I regret not doing more.
captmoto
12/7/2019 10:24am
DC193 wrote:
I wish I could see more races ! Family trip so wife and kids dictate my travel (except for my one night off to see Rd3)...
I wish I could see more races !

Family trip so wife and kids dictate my travel (except for my one night off to see Rd3)

Hoping I could at least travel past the Kawasaki test track and watch, given its more public location.
You can see the track but I'm not sure it is used anymore. Last time I went by it, it looked neglected but that was early November. I think the practice tracks up the hill from it are now gated.
If you go to Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside and if he is in, you can buy a copy of On Any Sunday and he will autograph it for you. It is a big store and has a museum on the second floor.
Chaparral is a huge store and about 15 minutes up the road for Malcolms.
I took some Kiwi friends to Pro Circuit and they were given a tour of the shop but that was a long time ago.
The Troy Lee Designs store in Laguna Beach would be cool too.
If you can, bring a suitcase full of old clothes, dump them and fill it back up with all the swag you will want to take home.
tobz
12/7/2019 4:28pm
Send pro circuit an email and they might be able to take you on a tour, such friendly people. When I was there before A2 a couple of years ago, villos straight rythem bike was on the dyno and the workshop was buzzing. There's plenty of other industry shops to visit, Troy Lee, etc.

I know you've already bought a ticket but rocky Mountain's VIP sx experience with JT is a must do, track walk, practice, team truck tour. If they still do it?
Bearuno
12/7/2019 9:01pm
Get a Lonely Planet Guide for LA / California ( and, at least another of that type), and look at the Vast amount of other things there is to do in LA / California.

You're with your Family, and, even if they are Moto to their very core, there's so much more than just bloody Motorcycle related things to see and do. Things that will live in your / their memories perhaps more than just a visit to a few MC shops.

Hell, it may seem cliche'd, but at least go to Disneyland. Other things like Peterson's Motor Museum, the Getty Center, various Naval Ship (USS Iowa and USS Midway, for example) museums, and on and on and on.

Just Google Los Angeles / Californian Museums and or Attractions. The History / Historic parts of Southern (well, all of) California, is endlessly fascinating.

I will admit, I've been there so many times, the MC side of it just pales against everything else, nowadays. I haven't bothered to go to a SX the last few years when there - just gone to friends places for SX events , watching on massive screens, with good people around me.
12/8/2019 1:47am
I am lucky enough to have made two small trips,

The first was 2002 Gen Helen, did the Hollywood, Chaparell thing and two days of MX.

The second was 2007 last round of SX at Vegas, Vegas night life for two days and a full day at the SX, make sure you are there when the gates open, so much to see and do, line up for Autograph tickets, if you can find something like a VIP experience ticket that would be awesome to do a track walk.

Post a reply to: Aussie Tourist in LA

The Latest