Fantasy
912th
7/15/2017 6:22pm
possibly the worst track i've ever seen
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
7/15/2017 6:42pm
Australia has quite a few small, flat tracks that really don't seem suited to national level racing. This is one of them.
jeffro503
7/15/2017 7:10pm
Oh man....coming back from an all day of riding , then coming home to watch some live motos....perfect. Thanks dudes for the links!

The Shop

block75
7/15/2017 8:00pm
Ferris has a small tip over in the opening laps and got to 6th or 7th I believe, he was only like 10-12 after tip over and thought he would have come back a bit further up the positions but some of the other guys are also riding really well after the mid season break
Stoop
Fantasy
912th
7/15/2017 8:05pm
block75 wrote:
Ferris has a small tip over in the opening laps and got to 6th or 7th I believe, he was only like 10-12 after tip over...
Ferris has a small tip over in the opening laps and got to 6th or 7th I believe, he was only like 10-12 after tip over and thought he would have come back a bit further up the positions but some of the other guys are also riding really well after the mid season break
See how long he took to get going again? it should be a crime not to have mandatory E start on all bikes
block75
7/15/2017 9:07pm
block75 wrote:
Ferris has a small tip over in the opening laps and got to 6th or 7th I believe, he was only like 10-12 after tip over...
Stoop wrote:
See how long he took to get going again? it should be a crime not to have mandatory E start on all bikes
Yeah looked like it took him ages but with the lead he had in the championship he was probably trying to keep it calm
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
7/15/2017 9:20pm
Impressive first moto for Mosig, see if he can go one better in moto two..
PJRAUS
7/16/2017 12:58am
I was out there flagging all day and I can tell you it was friggin cold! Had to run back to the van early on in the day for an extra pair of socks.
Afterwards I walked the track...every turn was pretty much like these....I found a small child down in one of the ruts and said " get out of there ya little Bugger !,

PJRAUS
7/16/2017 2:39am
Stoop wrote:
Well it certainly isn't brilliant. Not much you can do with a dead flat clay pan .
But to the credit of the Goulburn Valley Junior club, the track and amenities were well prepared. The track isn't really very old, they've just been building it up from a flat cow paddock.
Their old track at Waii was much better dirt...sandy loam..
Still, the track offered decent racing...there were so many ruts in the corners that it couldn't help but offer multiple lines.
Saw a few guys with bad starts come up through the pack quickly.
Problem was, there was never that much of a pack .
MX1 had 21 entries, MX 2 about 30. MXD about 30 and the 125 gold cup was twenty odd...that's it! If I'd known about the 125 race a bit earlier, I would have entered myself and skipped the flagging.
The sport...that is racing...serious racing rather than just club level, is in dire straights here...the divide between juniors ( or rather their parents ) and seniors is getting worse...We hate having to endure race days that have too many classes, juniors and seniors combined...and the mini bike parents hate us for complaining about it...

I really don't think it's fixable...problem has got too far out of hand...Don't know where the riders are going to come from to run in the national races...it's a big leap from 4 lap club races to 30 min motos at national level.. Not much inbetween anymore .
I'm about done bothering about it..started the save Australian motocross page...got 50 odd members or so...nobody has much of anything to say

Saw the local tv news report on this race on Thursday..a promo thing for it...nice of them to do it...said they were expecting about 2 thousand spectators from all over.....honestly I think about 400 would have pulled it up..
Sad to see...

All the teams , their pit setups, enormous race transporters, equipment, personnel , bikes, etc... All looked really ,really good and really professional ..
I seriously wonder where they get the money...the sponsorship to do it..the sport seems so much smaller than it was a decade ago.

Oh well... Probably time I ceased posting about the Oz MX scene being in decline...the horse is dead, no point whipping it any more.
This is my last post on the matter
Jrewing
7/16/2017 2:53am
Thanks for the attempt to get the ball rolling though.
7/16/2017 3:01am
Stoop wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
Well it certainly isn't brilliant. Not much you can do with a dead flat clay pan . But to the credit of the Goulburn Valley Junior...
Well it certainly isn't brilliant. Not much you can do with a dead flat clay pan .
But to the credit of the Goulburn Valley Junior club, the track and amenities were well prepared. The track isn't really very old, they've just been building it up from a flat cow paddock.
Still, the track offered decent racing...there were so many ruts in the corners that it couldn't help but offer multiple lines.
MX1 had 21 entries, MX 2 about 30. MXD about 30 and the 125 gold cup was twenty odd...that's it! If I'd known about the 125 race a bit earlier, I would have entered myself and skipped the flagging.
The sport...that is racing...serious racing rather than just club level, is in dire straights here...the divide between juniors ( or rather their parents ) and seniors is getting worse...We hate having to endure race days that have too many classes, juniors and seniors combined...and the mini bike parents hate us for complaining about it...

I really don't think it's fixable...problem has got too far out of hand...Don't know where the riders are going to come from to run in the national races...it's a big leap from 4 lap club races to 30 min motos at national level.. Not much inbetween anymore .
I'm about done bothering about it..started the save Australian motocross page...got 50 odd members or so...nobody has much of anything to say

Saw the local tv news report on this race on Thursday..a promo thing for it...nice of them to do it...said they were expecting about 2 thousand spectators from all over.....honestly I think about 400 would have pulled it up..
Sad to see...

All the teams , their pit setups, enormous race transporters, equipment, personnel , bikes, etc... All looked really ,really good and really professional ..
I seriously wonder where they get the money...the sponsorship to do it..the sport seems so much smaller than it was a decade ago.

Oh well... Probably time I ceased posting about the Oz MX scene being in decline...the horse is dead, no point whipping it any more.
Good idea,yes I agree the sport has been on a decline for long time no point being negative about it.
Make the most of what we have an hopefully there are a lot juniors coming through the ranks to change things.
After all we are hosting the world junior mx next year.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
7/16/2017 3:06am
Moto is certainly quiet at the moment in Aus, still some great riders out there and some quality riders coming through from those mini ranks.

While a down turn in MX, the interest in Off - Road seems to be on the rise and in the VMX races.

750 entries at Hattah last weekend, if it is true what you say about only 400 odd spectators today at Shepparton, that is nearly double the number of people just in riders alone in Mildura last weekend.

Finke numbers are strong, AORC rider numbers seem to be strong, though those races are combined with state titles. Think there was well over 250 entries for the SA rounds of the AORC a couple of weeks back.

MX numbers here in SA have been on the rise for 5-6 years, biggest numbers were coming from Vets who were back at the track as their kids were getting into racing, guess it just made sense for dad to come back for a ride as well.

Then all of a sudden it has all died in the ass. We had 45 riders out for a clubday at MRA today, a track located 15km from the city centre in South Aus!

Though there were another 6 or 7 MSA sanctioned events on around the state today, go figure.

MX Nationals numbers have not really changed much over the years, especially since going to a ten round championship. Rider numbers start high, drop off by mid season then move up and down a little in the second half depending where racing is at.

Is what it is and as you said PJRAUS, not anyone really wanting to step up at a state level and try and provide senior only events, don't blame them, i would not want to do it haha.

To be honest for someone like myself who enjoys racing, but now has a son who is in the Demo class and will start racing next year, Im fine with mixed senior and junior events, prefer the state titles where the junior race sat and senior sunday, but had a ball today having a couple of races myself then watching as my little man rode.
PJRAUS
7/16/2017 3:20am
BigMunster wrote:
Good idea,yes I agree the sport has been on a decline for long time no point being negative about it. Make the most of what we...
Good idea,yes I agree the sport has been on a decline for long time no point being negative about it.
Make the most of what we have an hopefully there are a lot juniors coming through the ranks to change things.
After all we are hosting the world junior mx next year.
I hadn't heard about that, that's good! Where is it going to be?
PJRAUS
7/16/2017 3:29am
aaryn #234 wrote:
Moto is certainly quiet at the moment in Aus, still some great riders out there and some quality riders coming through from those mini ranks. While...
Moto is certainly quiet at the moment in Aus, still some great riders out there and some quality riders coming through from those mini ranks.

While a down turn in MX, the interest in Off - Road seems to be on the rise and in the VMX races.

750 entries at Hattah last weekend, if it is true what you say about only 400 odd spectators today at Shepparton, that is nearly double the number of people just in riders alone in Mildura last weekend.

Finke numbers are strong, AORC rider numbers seem to be strong, though those races are combined with state titles. Think there was well over 250 entries for the SA rounds of the AORC a couple of weeks back.

MX numbers here in SA have been on the rise for 5-6 years, biggest numbers were coming from Vets who were back at the track as their kids were getting into racing, guess it just made sense for dad to come back for a ride as well.

Then all of a sudden it has all died in the ass. We had 45 riders out for a clubday at MRA today, a track located 15km from the city centre in South Aus!

Though there were another 6 or 7 MSA sanctioned events on around the state today, go figure.

MX Nationals numbers have not really changed much over the years, especially since going to a ten round championship. Rider numbers start high, drop off by mid season then move up and down a little in the second half depending where racing is at.

Is what it is and as you said PJRAUS, not anyone really wanting to step up at a state level and try and provide senior only events, don't blame them, i would not want to do it haha.

To be honest for someone like myself who enjoys racing, but now has a son who is in the Demo class and will start racing next year, Im fine with mixed senior and junior events, prefer the state titles where the junior race sat and senior sunday, but had a ball today having a couple of races myself then watching as my little man rode.
Well I might do a few rounds of the Nationals myself next year...having not raced in years I'm c grade again, was a grade 16 years ago...they do apparently accept b graders in the mx 1 and 2 classes.
See if I can get back into b quickly next year...trouble with that..apart from not being fast enough to win c grade races if that turns out to be the case...I think they only allocate grading points for the 4 vic title rounds...so even if I do well it might be another year before I could make it to b grade.and enter one of the main classes at a national.

I will for certain though have a crack in the 125 races if they have them next year and the rounds where they run a vet class too...wouldn't mind the travel...see a bit iof the countryside..
Raced all the Nationals and thumper Nats in 2001 and really enjoyed going to all the different tracks and states, especially going to Penguin in Tasmania and Conondale in Queensland...something to look foward to anyway!
7/16/2017 3:53am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2017 4:00am
kevin204 wrote:
Australia has quite a few small, flat tracks that really don't seem suited to national level racing. This is one of them.
thats an understatment , i wish the pros would say something but they don`t , and all the clubs that hold these nationals go on about how good they are but in reality they are holding the progression of our riders back having them race on what are essentially junior or club level tracks , they rip them deep to make them more challenging but thats not the answer . kyle peters toutched on it but didnt say too much fucking embarrassing it is .
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
7/16/2017 4:02am
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I might do a few rounds of the Nationals myself next year...having not raced in years I'm c grade again, was a grade 16 years...
Well I might do a few rounds of the Nationals myself next year...having not raced in years I'm c grade again, was a grade 16 years ago...they do apparently accept b graders in the mx 1 and 2 classes.
See if I can get back into b quickly next year...trouble with that..apart from not being fast enough to win c grade races if that turns out to be the case...I think they only allocate grading points for the 4 vic title rounds...so even if I do well it might be another year before I could make it to b grade.and enter one of the main classes at a national.

I will for certain though have a crack in the 125 races if they have them next year and the rounds where they run a vet class too...wouldn't mind the travel...see a bit iof the countryside..
Raced all the Nationals and thumper Nats in 2001 and really enjoyed going to all the different tracks and states, especially going to Penguin in Tasmania and Conondale in Queensland...something to look foward to anyway!
They have the Vets 30 plus and 40 plus at Coolum again this year as part of the final round.

I have raced it a few times, its good fun, I get smoked big time, its crazy to see how fast guys like Boyd or Cam Taylor still are. If I could find about 4 seconds per turn I could keep up.

I was thinking about doing it again this year, but can't really justify the cost this year.
PJRAUS
7/16/2017 4:35am
aaryn #234 wrote:
They have the Vets 30 plus and 40 plus at Coolum again this year as part of the final round. I have raced it a few...
They have the Vets 30 plus and 40 plus at Coolum again this year as part of the final round.

I have raced it a few times, its good fun, I get smoked big time, its crazy to see how fast guys like Boyd or Cam Taylor still are. If I could find about 4 seconds per turn I could keep up.

I was thinking about doing it again this year, but can't really justify the cost this year.
Yes it's expensive for sure. But for me it's a bucket list deal...you're in the ground a long time , so may as well have fun while you can.
I'm really lucky in that my job keeps me really fit, I don't really feel any less capable of riding the way I did 30 years ago.
I certainly think I could get back to being as fit as I ever was, and certainly I could get back to being as fast as I was....not that I was fast...
Challenge for me is to learn how to ride that smooth , straight body, centralised , modern style.
Getting to watch people like Kirk Gibbs and Dean Ferris close up, really is a great lesson in riding style...so smooth and effortless , they never move their body that much on the bike.
My style looks like a throwback to the 1970's, which is when I learned to ride...Eveyone hung right over the back of the bike in those days....I'm trying to break the habit!
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
7/16/2017 12:59pm
For sure guys like Kirk and Ferris make it look so easy. Waters was the same the year he was dominating on the KTM before the mid season crash that de railed his season. Silky smooth running that 450sx right off the bottom of the power, so good to watch.

Do miss getting to the nationals, only been to two so far this year, might still get to Coolum and get the camera out. Looks like the MX2 title will come down to the wire so would be good to watch.
7/16/2017 3:59pm
Stoop wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
Well it certainly isn't brilliant. Not much you can do with a dead flat clay pan . But to the credit of the Goulburn Valley Junior...

Sad to see...

PJ
There old Waaiaa track was amazing national calibre for sure pity the farmer wanted it back from what I here
7/16/2017 4:04pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I might do a few rounds of the Nationals myself next year...having not raced in years I'm c grade again, was a grade 16 years...

aaryn #234 wrote:
They have the Vets 30 plus and 40 plus at Coolum again this year as part of the final round. I have raced it a few...

Coolum is good if you want to race and make a good holiday of it.
Camo is unreal for his age 44. He don't take it seriously now and gets a good kick out of helping the young kids out.
PJRAUS
7/17/2017 2:46am
block75 wrote:
He must have trashed his goggles in the crash as he came roaring past the mechanics area pointing at his goggles, next lap, Craig Dack was right there on the track signalling him to pull up, mechanic was there, goggle strap stretched out and ready . Ferriss barely stopped...twang! Mechanic put those goggles on him so fast, I swear they must have practised the move..whole thing took about 2 seconds ..
PJRAUS
7/17/2017 2:53am
PJ
There old Waaiaa track was amazing national calibre for sure pity the farmer wanted it back from what I here
Probably wasn't that good from a spectators point of view, probably similar to the new track, but it was a great track to race on.
From what I heard...could be totally wrong...it was actually the farmers son that wanted the club out and the land back. When he took over from dad, first order of business was to kick the club out!
And apparently the son used to race....Dunno...just what I heard..
Mind you...it's super tough these days making a living as a dairy farmer...might have been a necessity for survival..
7/17/2017 6:38pm
PJ
PJRAUS wrote:
Probably wasn't that good from a spectators point of view, probably similar to the new track, but it was a great track to race on. From...
Probably wasn't that good from a spectators point of view, probably similar to the new track, but it was a great track to race on.
From what I heard...could be totally wrong...it was actually the farmers son that wanted the club out and the land back. When he took over from dad, first order of business was to kick the club out!
And apparently the son used to race....Dunno...just what I heard..
Mind you...it's super tough these days making a living as a dairy farmer...might have been a necessity for survival..
Yeh thats about what i heard.
I raced there numerous times 84-94. Loved that track.

Post a reply to: Aussie Nationals live

The Latest