Attn. Youthstream, FIM, and Glen Helen...

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2015 1:13am
I loved 99% of the track last weekend. It made for awesome racing, and a great show, and a fitting finale to the MXGP season.

The other 1% was this area (which is at the exit of the corner in the photo above).

The plastic barricades were surrounding an underground irrigation pipe that was next to the track. Inside of those were metal posts that stuck up well above the barriers.

Ben Townley (in the photo below) was coming off the outside line. Riders who took the inside line in the corner before this were pushing wider and wider, and having to hook back to avoid the barricades.

I'm not sure how that passed a proper track inspection. Plastic barriers in and of themselves aren't great, but a rider getting impaled on one of those metal posts would be a truly horrible thing. Next year, can we please avoid this? Thanks.

|
jeffro503
9/22/2015 4:13pm
Besides the posts Steve , what are those barricades made out of? They don't look like they would be moved very easily.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 4:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Besides the posts Steve , what are those barricades made out of? They don't look like they would be moved very easily.
They're plastic with a cardboard wrap.
TeamGreen
9/22/2015 5:36pm
I've seen situations like this from Washougal to Wagga Wagga...

Infrastructure and Natural obstacles that're just waiting for one of our riders to get close enough to bite'em...& more often than not...we get lucky.

In the modern world of Hi-Speed/Hi Risk Moto, we need to eliminate these obstacles.

Steve, very stoked that you stepped up in this.

Thank you:
Xeno
9/22/2015 5:41pm
Same location as the infamous Alessi-runs-Langson-off-the-track episode.

The Shop

kkawboy14
9/22/2015 5:53pm
They are pros, they shouldn't be way over there..........
bob567
9/22/2015 6:12pm
All the tracks we ride/race are lined with metal posts and snow fence on both sides. The downside of not being a pro I guess. I agree they should not exist in professional racing.
lamy962
9/22/2015 6:46pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've seen situations like this from Washougal to Wagga Wagga... Infrastructure and Natural obstacles that're just waiting for one of our riders to get close enough...

Infrastructure and Natural obstacles that're just waiting for one of our riders to get close enough to bite'em...& more often than not...we get lucky.

In the modern world of Hi-Speed/Hi Risk Moto, we need to eliminate these obstacles.

Thank you:
Where at Washougal have you seen something like this? Just curious because I've been working there for 23 years now and for the life of me, I can't remember a time where we've had plastic barriers sticking out on the track to cover a water line.

Yes there are some tress that are close to the track in spots which are wrapped in foam and some in the woods have been removed for this very reason, but all the water spigots are well off the track with 1 hay bale covering them... as for fence posts, we used to have tires on every one of them until we were told to replace them with little plastic caps that cover the very top of the post.

We better get all those Red Bull structures that go over the track removed too as they are as close to the track as anything!

I fully understand where you're coming from and I've thought the same thing many times. But to eliminate all these obstacles, we would basically just need to run 2 SX series. Spectators that line the fences at all the nationals (as well as track crew, series crew, photographers etc) are at just as big of a risk as the riders so should they make everyone stand on the very outskirts of the track? (ala Miller Motorsports park). Again I totally get what you guys are saying, just wish there was an easy way to make it happen...

Sorry for the rant, when I see Washougal get thrown under the bus I get a little defensive..
bob567
9/22/2015 7:06pm
There are a few things we should rip off from the GP's.

1. Mechanics area scaffolding. Worlds more professional than 10 cheap ez ups like the US Nationals. Looks great on TV.

2. Wash bays. Much more professional than the muddy pits at the US Nationals.

Hopefully there are plans to up our game.
WeiserGuy
9/22/2015 7:35pm
Holy shit! Unacceptable. Whatever reason or excuse doesn't matter, especially at a track of Glen Helen's caliber, and bottom line rider safety should be #1!

Lets just say contact occurs when riders attempt block passes exiting that turn and the outside rider gets shoved wide into the barricade. I'm sure you can imagine how many things could go wrong and the possibility of a rider being impaled, blinded, broken ribs/chance of further internal punctures, etc is VERY REAL . If a tragedy like that happened it would likely be the end of Glen Helen.

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 7:53pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
And you should stop posting like an amateur.
DonM
9/22/2015 7:57pm
Saw the same thing the previous week with tree stumps all over the track in Mexico...When Jonass crashed his bike came to rest on one...
500guy
9/22/2015 8:01pm
No Orange Helmet for you.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 8:04pm
500guy wrote:
I'll live.
500guy
9/22/2015 8:08pm
500guy wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I'll live.
Next year Will call will be in Quartsite AZ
Crush
9/22/2015 8:15pm
Sheesh....
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/22/2015 8:57pm
500guy wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I'll live.
500guy wrote:
Laughing
dkg
9/22/2015 9:56pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've seen situations like this from Washougal to Wagga Wagga... Infrastructure and Natural obstacles that're just waiting for one of our riders to get close enough...

Thank you:
lamy962 wrote:
Where at Washougal have you seen something like this? Just curious because I've been working there for 23 years now and for the life of me...
Where at Washougal have you seen something like this? Just curious because I've been working there for 23 years now and for the life of me, I can't remember a time where we've had plastic barriers sticking out on the track to cover a water line.

Yes there are some tress that are close to the track in spots which are wrapped in foam and some in the woods have been removed for this very reason, but all the water spigots are well off the track with 1 hay bale covering them... as for fence posts, we used to have tires on every one of them until we were told to replace them with little plastic caps that cover the very top of the post.

We better get all those Red Bull structures that go over the track removed too as they are as close to the track as anything!

I fully understand where you're coming from and I've thought the same thing many times. But to eliminate all these obstacles, we would basically just need to run 2 SX series. Spectators that line the fences at all the nationals (as well as track crew, series crew, photographers etc) are at just as big of a risk as the riders so should they make everyone stand on the very outskirts of the track? (ala Miller Motorsports park). Again I totally get what you guys are saying, just wish there was an easy way to make it happen...

Sorry for the rant, when I see Washougal get thrown under the bus I get a little defensive..
Didn't really seem that he was throwing Washougal under the bus. Looked like more of a generic comment that issues exist in a lot of places. If we are all real candid about things, there are probably a few areas that could be improved at most tracks without going to the extreme.

MXerDW
9/22/2015 10:01pm
500guy wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I'll live.
500guy wrote:
Laughing
tunedlength
9/22/2015 10:16pm
500guy wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I'll live.
500guy wrote:
Smile
newmann
9/22/2015 10:17pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
And you should stop posting like an amateur.
Exactly, comments like those are reserved for "industry insiders". You know, if you think the track is unsafe, you should pack up and leave. Don't hit it and it won't be a problem. Safe zone... Run off room... What next, gravel traps? Laughing

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 10:20pm
newmann wrote:
Exactly, comments like those are reserved for "industry insiders". You know, if you think the track is unsafe, you should pack up and leave. Don't hit...
Exactly, comments like those are reserved for "industry insiders". You know, if you think the track is unsafe, you should pack up and leave. Don't hit it and it won't be a problem. Safe zone... Run off room... What next, gravel traps? Laughing

I'd settle for common sense.
Deek22
9/22/2015 10:23pm
Hey Guyb that is the corner that Max Nagal crashed in really hard in the second moto. Me Dr.D and Carter Dubach were sitting up on top of Yamaha hill. Lucky for Nagal walked away from that. His rear wheel hit the barrier wfo exiting the inside line. Bounced his bike almost 180 on the track and pitched him about 15 feet. Here was our view.

Zracer
9/22/2015 10:32pm
newmann wrote:
Exactly, comments like those are reserved for "industry insiders". You know, if you think the track is unsafe, you should pack up and leave. Don't hit...

GuyB wrote:
I'd settle for common sense.
GuyB, I bet the tracks maker thought the same thing. Use common sense and stay on the track. Its a wonder anybody ever survived racing tracks that were actually dangerous.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 11:06pm
Deek22 wrote:
Hey Guyb that is the corner that Max Nagal crashed in really hard in the second moto. Me Dr.D and Carter Dubach were sitting up on...
Hey Guyb that is the corner that Max Nagal crashed in really hard in the second moto. Me Dr.D and Carter Dubach were sitting up on top of Yamaha hill. Lucky for Nagal walked away from that. His rear wheel hit the barrier wfo exiting the inside line. Bounced his bike almost 180 on the track and pitched him about 15 feet. Here was our view.

Thanks. I missed that crash, but I'm not shocked.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 11:12pm
Zracer wrote:
GuyB, I bet the tracks maker thought the same thing. Use common sense and stay on the track. Its a wonder anybody ever survived racing tracks...
GuyB, I bet the tracks maker thought the same thing. Use common sense and stay on the track. Its a wonder anybody ever survived racing tracks that were actually dangerous.
Should we do a poll on the homepage asking if people think stuff like this is acceptable?

Personally, I think the sport is dangerous enough as is.
Jrewing
9/23/2015 1:35am
Wagga Wagga. whatyou doin down this way?
robkinuk
9/23/2015 3:12am
Deek22 wrote:
Hey Guyb that is the corner that Max Nagal crashed in really hard in the second moto. Me Dr.D and Carter Dubach were sitting up on...

Why did the track have to go so close to the water main?. Surely they could have reworked that turn to bring the track over a few metre's, so "dangerous track furniture" wasn't on the racing line.
Simples!
Mr. Info
9/23/2015 7:18am
Thank you all for your input. As we all know sometimes we cannot see something as an issue until it comes into play. No track including Glen Helen would do anything to put a rider in danger. We will make a change this week. As for the Will Call we did not think we would have the room since we lost EVOC and could not park cars there. Better than 3/4's of the people who would visit will call come past Chaparral and the information of where it would be was given to all those who asked ahead of time. There was plenty of parking there and I know the first days delay was a Youth Stream issue and not anyone else's. They were late. Thank you all for taking the time to point out what we could do better and we will work on all those issues. Thank you all for coming and making this a great weekend in MX.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/23/2015 7:28am
Mr. Info wrote:
Thank you all for your input. As we all know sometimes we cannot see something as an issue until it comes into play. No track including...
Thank you all for your input. As we all know sometimes we cannot see something as an issue until it comes into play. No track including Glen Helen would do anything to put a rider in danger. We will make a change this week. As for the Will Call we did not think we would have the room since we lost EVOC and could not park cars there. Better than 3/4's of the people who would visit will call come past Chaparral and the information of where it would be was given to all those who asked ahead of time. There was plenty of parking there and I know the first days delay was a Youth Stream issue and not anyone else's. They were late. Thank you all for taking the time to point out what we could do better and we will work on all those issues. Thank you all for coming and making this a great weekend in MX.
Thanks, Mark.

It was a great weekend.

Post a reply to: Attn. Youthstream, FIM, and Glen Helen...

The Latest