Attn. Rotella users

ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/11/2018 12:15pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
I think most of you are referring to Rotella T, not T4. T was replaced somewhat recently by T4, which is a different formula.
Yes, that's what I meant.
BobPA
3/11/2018 12:24pm
Bel Ray thumper for hundreds of hours here. Sold my 350 with 165 hours....stock crank and clutch in perfect shape.

Always ran Mobil 1 in my Kawasaki’s, hundreds and hundreds of hours with no issues. Only change to BelRay because of price.

Never understood the Rotella obsession. Tried it in my two strokes and never liked the way the shifted.
Premix
3/11/2018 12:30pm
Bruce372 wrote:
wow- you did nearly 40 odd oil changes in a year.... are you trying to make up for that guy who goes 80 hours on one...
wow- you did nearly 40 odd oil changes in a year.... are you trying to make up for that guy who goes 80 hours on one oil change? SmileSmileTongue
38 to be exact. You were close! Oil gets changed every 2 hours, depends on if I do a filter or not. Takes a little less if I don’t. Put just over 80 hours on my bike last year. I’ve used Rotella since I started riding 4 strokes in 02.
Bruce372
3/11/2018 12:52pm
Bruce372 wrote:
wow- you did nearly 40 odd oil changes in a year.... are you trying to make up for that guy who goes 80 hours on one...
wow- you did nearly 40 odd oil changes in a year.... are you trying to make up for that guy who goes 80 hours on one oil change? SmileSmileTongue
Premix wrote:
38 to be exact. You were close! Oil gets changed every 2 hours, depends on if I do a filter or not. Takes a little less...
38 to be exact. You were close! Oil gets changed every 2 hours, depends on if I do a filter or not. Takes a little less if I don’t. Put just over 80 hours on my bike last year. I’ve used Rotella since I started riding 4 strokes in 02.
thats awesome dude. i take my hat off to anyone that can put 80 riding hours in a season!

The Shop

Asimo
3/11/2018 1:11pm
BobPA wrote:
Bel Ray thumper for hundreds of hours here. Sold my 350 with 165 hours....stock crank and clutch in perfect shape. Always ran Mobil 1 in my...
Bel Ray thumper for hundreds of hours here. Sold my 350 with 165 hours....stock crank and clutch in perfect shape.

Always ran Mobil 1 in my Kawasaki’s, hundreds and hundreds of hours with no issues. Only change to BelRay because of price.

Never understood the Rotella obsession. Tried it in my two strokes and never liked the way the shifted.
Bel Ray buys the oil from someone.

Amsoil used to be Mobil1 base stock. Might still be.
RickA
3/11/2018 5:01pm
Asimo wrote:

Huh? What base stock are you referring to? Your talking out of your ass
The thread sure is interesting..

When your clutch springs get REAL hot, which they do, they lose clamping force. That is the underlying issue most people are experiencing. OEM balances a fine line between ease of clutch pull and clamping force.
BobPA
3/11/2018 5:16pm
Asimo wrote:

Sources to back up your claims?

mx317
3/11/2018 5:47pm
Asimo wrote:

BobPA wrote:

Sometimes you can check the hazmat sheets and it will be from the company that blended it. Honda GN4 used to be made by Valvolene (spelling?), but not sure if it still is.
G-man
3/11/2018 5:55pm
Oh man after reading this thread I'm more confused than ever then there is this that I dug up:

https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Is-Rotella-T-15w40-…

All I know is I've been running the blue bottle T6 full synthetic in all my bikes for probably the last 10 years or so, no issues so are you saying this T6 is different now?

On my KTM off-road bikes I change it every 10 hours and yes like some others cost is important to me and buying it at Wally World saves some coin for other things like tires.
Timo_2824
3/11/2018 6:09pm
Asimo wrote:
Your post about T6 is bs. It clearly shows all Jaso ratings. [I] T6: OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty...
Your post about T6 is bs. It clearly shows all Jaso ratings.

T6:
OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil
API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

No JASO MA rating because of a 1.2% Ash content, which is the limit for the MA rating.

Say what?
Totally missed that, it must be the newer formula because the older T6 didn't get the MA specification.
Dtat720
3/11/2018 6:20pm
Asimo wrote:

BobPA wrote:

BelRay is its own manufacturer. They have to file with the SEC a “conflicting minerals report.” For all products they produce. If they bought and relabeled, they wouldnt have to do this. The original manufacturer would. BelRay produces oils and lubricants for several industries, mining being their largest area. BelRay oil is made by BelRay
Asimo
3/11/2018 10:54pm
Asimo wrote:

BobPA wrote:

Do some due diligence. Brands usually arent refineries.

Unless its a refinery, the company is buying base stock which is usually a Group 3 or IV and blending their own additive package for their price point and intended use.

Or it is blended and private label packaged by someone else entirely. you can find out who uses whos oil pretty easily.

Asimo
3/11/2018 10:58pm
Asimo wrote:

RickA wrote:
Huh? What base stock are you referring to? Your talking out of your ass The thread sure is interesting.. When your clutch springs get REAL hot...

When your clutch springs get REAL hot, which they do, they lose clamping force. That is the underlying issue most people are experiencing. OEM balances a fine line between ease of clutch pull and clamping force.
Go back to school. Or do some research on base stocks before posting.
RickA
3/12/2018 3:41am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 4:10am
Asimo wrote:

RickA wrote:
Huh? What base stock are you referring to? Your talking out of your ass The thread sure is interesting.. When your clutch springs get REAL hot...

Asimo wrote:
Go back to school. Or do some research on base stocks before posting.
I’ll be sure to do that. Can you educate me some more on these oil companies?
chaseodc
3/12/2018 5:21am
Asimo wrote:

BobPA wrote:

Asimo wrote:
Do some due diligence. Brands usually arent refineries. Unless its a refinery, the company is buying base stock which is usually a Group 3 or IV...
Do some due diligence. Brands usually arent refineries.

Unless its a refinery, the company is buying base stock which is usually a Group 3 or IV and blending their own additive package for their price point and intended use.

Or it is blended and private label packaged by someone else entirely. you can find out who uses whos oil pretty easily.

I have had intrest in the oil industry for about 15 years, met engineers, geologist, some Saudi oil guys and had many conversations about all facets of oil. Met a chemist from Valvoline once and his sentiment was in line with this^^ only 3 sources of base oil, everybody buys off that and modifies to their spec. Now this was 15 years ago so who knows now.
make1go
3/12/2018 5:58am
Shell oils?
Not for me, dont even like using their petrol.

Way to many anomolies ime..

Post a reply to: Attn. Rotella users

The Latest