Attendance at the final race with the championship on the line?

RandomUserName
Fantasy
2763rd
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2022 8:05pm
What do you say? It was so sad to see a championship of this caliber that came down to the final race settled at a track like that. And I know it was stupid hot....but the crowd was 4 dudes with umbrellas sitting on a cooler in most areas. Man, this track HAS to be put out to pasture.

And not to bag on DC, but he had the PERFECT season teed up with AC222, RD5, and then the closest championship battle in history....and it was a dud from the production angle.
|
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
9/4/2022 11:34am
If it weren't for the people that ponied up the money in advance to reserve camp spots, the place would of been a ghost town. It's one thing to put up with that crappy facility because we love moto. but I, along with just about everyone I talked to, seemed to draw the line when it came to heat over 100 with not a single tree or patch of grass to be found. Riding the track, you might have a different opinion of the place, but we are spectators, our place there is to sit in the dirt while the sun drains the life from our bodies. On the plus side, that 2 hours it take you to get out of there is in you air condition car.
9/4/2022 11:36am
if you want to see the future of MX, go to any moto america (formerly ama superbike) race and take a look around.

9/4/2022 11:41am
if you want to see the future of MX, go to any moto america (formerly ama superbike) race and take a look around.

^^^This. I truly believe the MXSports business model is taking motocross to MotoAmerica destiny. Once one OEM decides they can sell bikes without participating in this cross country money grab, all of them will just drop from the series like flies. Give it a few years. The best riders will move to SX or MXGP and you’ll end up with some pro-am level of satellite team participation in the MXSports “national” events
zehn
9/4/2022 11:41am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2022 11:42am
If it had been at Budds or Washougal or Spring Creek or…. It would have been very different

The Shop

kpiper
9/4/2022 11:44am
MX Sports doing two rounds at Pala AGAIN is good enough reason for someone else to run the series.
9/4/2022 11:48am
kpiper wrote:
MX Sports doing two rounds at Pala AGAIN is good enough reason for someone else to run the series.
Think about the teams, that basically have their hands tied behind their back. They get zero profit sharing even though they put up 80-90% of the capital required to run the series. And then they get told, you’re going to drive your rig from Cali to Massachusetts, back to Washington state, back to New York State, and then you have to go back to Cali at the end
RandomUserName
Fantasy
2763rd
9/4/2022 12:35pm
kpiper wrote:
Think about the teams, that basically have their hands tied behind their back. They get zero profit sharing even though they put up 80-90% of the...
Think about the teams, that basically have their hands tied behind their back. They get zero profit sharing even though they put up 80-90% of the capital required to run the series. And then they get told, you’re going to drive your rig from Cali to Massachusetts, back to Washington state, back to New York State, and then you have to go back to Cali at the end
which is back to someone else's point: the day the first OEM says "Hey, pound sand Davey....we can sell bikes with just SX" the series will end almost instantly.
9/4/2022 12:37pm
which is back to someone else's point: the day the first OEM says "Hey, pound sand Davey....we can sell bikes with just SX" the series will...
which is back to someone else's point: the day the first OEM says "Hey, pound sand Davey....we can sell bikes with just SX" the series will end almost instantly.
Bingo. That day is coming mark my words
9/4/2022 12:44pm
kpiper wrote:
They dropped Pala 2 next year to make room for SMX playoffs so that a plus I guess. Now they need to swap Pala 1 for Glen Helen and everyone will be happy.
DonM
9/4/2022 1:12pm
kpiper wrote:
They dropped Pala 2 next year to make room for SMX playoffs so that a plus I guess. Now they need to swap Pala 1 for...
They dropped Pala 2 next year to make room for SMX playoffs so that a plus I guess. Now they need to swap Pala 1 for Glen Helen and everyone will be happy.
Not on Vital....it could be 100% perfect and some troll will find a way to bitch and then argue with himself with his second burner account....
kylemenz1
Fantasy
933rd
9/4/2022 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2022 1:50pm
Southern California has this weird “cool guy” syndrome that keeps people from expressing wild emotion for the sport. Washougal, Red Bud, Bud’s Creek, Southwick, pretty much everywhere seems to have better fans. California podiums are pretty much empty yet at these other places the podiums are wedged.

I’m about 30min from Pala. The heat, lack of shade, lack of actual seats, expensive pit passes, pits that close hrs prior to actually races, and traffic kept us from attending this round. We’ll be back riding there in a couple weeks, but the race was better experienced from the couch.
9/4/2022 1:56pm
kylemenz1 wrote:
Southern California has this weird “cool guy” syndrome that keeps people from expressing wild emotion for the sport. Washougal, Red Bud, Bud’s Creek, Southwick, pretty much...
Southern California has this weird “cool guy” syndrome that keeps people from expressing wild emotion for the sport. Washougal, Red Bud, Bud’s Creek, Southwick, pretty much everywhere seems to have better fans. California podiums are pretty much empty yet at these other places the podiums are wedged.

I’m about 30min from Pala. The heat, lack of shade, lack of actual seats, expensive pit passes, pits that close hrs prior to actually races, and traffic kept us from attending this round. We’ll be back riding there in a couple weeks, but the race was better experienced from the couch.
100%. Too cool to show real support for the sport. Most just own a dirt bike to “fit in with the culture” and end up using it once a year at most. Not that they can afford the gas at $7 a gallon to drive three hours to the nearest track. Life is actually sort of sad for a socal bro. The tracks are blown. The chicks are blown. Their savings accounts are blown.
LungButter
9/4/2022 2:10pm
which is back to someone else's point: the day the first OEM says "Hey, pound sand Davey....we can sell bikes with just SX" the series will...
I would argue that 80% of the crowd at a SX is never going to buy a bike or parts or oil or anything else.

The folks who go to Nationals are the ones buying shit and keeping this sport alive.
JMR1976
9/4/2022 2:23pm
kpiper wrote:
Who do you guys think would do a better job running the series? Feld?
RMT
9/4/2022 2:35pm
100%. Too cool to show real support for the sport. Most just own a dirt bike to “fit in with the culture” and end up using...
100%. Too cool to show real support for the sport. Most just own a dirt bike to “fit in with the culture” and end up using it once a year at most. Not that they can afford the gas at $7 a gallon to drive three hours to the nearest track. Life is actually sort of sad for a socal bro. The tracks are blown. The chicks are blown. Their savings accounts are blown.
Dude, did you get gang raped in California recently?

Where do you live?

AH387
9/4/2022 2:35pm
LungButter wrote:
I would argue that 80% of the crowd at a SX is never going to buy a bike or parts or oil or anything else. The...
I would argue that 80% of the crowd at a SX is never going to buy a bike or parts or oil or anything else.

The folks who go to Nationals are the ones buying shit and keeping this sport alive.
I agree. And if the Factories do decide to drop out from the Nationals and only choose to support SX, in the long run it will hurt the sport. The MX Nationals crowd and grassroots, participating fans are always going to be what drives this sport. If they drop out and only do SX, it won't end well, in my opinion.

I think this season's outdoors was great, overall. It is a shame that Pala is on there twice. I would've rather seen them just do 2 rounds at Ironman,back to back weeks. But aside from a dud venue to close it out (along with the TV debacle) the racing and crowds were great at most of the rounds.
9/4/2022 2:38pm
RMT wrote:

Where do you live?

I was the girl that got raped at Lake Whitney
RMT
9/4/2022 2:44pm
What do you say? It was so sad to see a championship of this caliber that came down to the final race settled at a track...
What do you say? It was so sad to see a championship of this caliber that came down to the final race settled at a track like that. And I know it was stupid hot....but the crowd was 4 dudes with umbrellas sitting on a cooler in most areas. Man, this track HAS to be put out to pasture.

And not to bag on DC, but he had the PERFECT season teed up with AC222, RD5, and then the closest championship battle in history....and it was a dud from the production angle.
Don’t feel bad, every year I go to Austin for the MotoGP race and often am embarrassed at the land around the track. Weeds and shitty houses, brown and dead looking with a random gas station or two and crappy back roads. The track is so bumpy the riders refused to come back unless they fixed it. It’s never sold out and most bleachers are half full except a few. No trees to speak of for shade and unless you pony up big for seat, no place but the ground to sit. MotoGp is the pinnacle of motorcycle racing in the world and they have to come to this pile of garbage?

See how easy it is to do that. I love COTA and coming to Austin each year, but nothing or nowhere’s perfect.
9/4/2022 2:49pm
RMT wrote:

Where do you live?

Did I hit the nail a little too hard on the head? Strike a little too close to home ? . . .
JMR1976
9/4/2022 2:54pm
RMT wrote:

Where do you live?

Did I hit the nail a little too hard on the head? Strike a little too close to home ? . . .
You’re a idiot. Well at least typing like one.
9/4/2022 3:00pm
JMR1976 wrote:
That’s your subjective opinion. But its a statement of fact that Harambe eats feral cats like you for lunch
Calihusky
9/4/2022 3:16pm
I feel bad for saying this but my wife and I went to Pala yesterday and I would not go again. We used to go to Glen Helen every year and I looked forward to it. Once they switched to Pala I took a break but thought maybe this year they will have worked things out.
First off we parked on a bunch of rocks and some type of spiky cactus plant for $20. Luckily we didn’t get a flat.
We had VIP tickets hoping for a view but it was just a tent on a hill with no view of the start gate, or the finish or anything but 2 turns. Plus, it was packed so once everyone lined the gate we left and just sat on dirt on the hill baking in the sun. I would have brought chairs and an umbrella but thought we didn’t need that with VIP tickets. In order to actually watch the race and avoid heat stroke we left after the first motos and watched it on TV. This track is just way too hot, dusty and has no viewing areas to bring me back.
Ob917
9/4/2022 3:17pm
What do you say? It was so sad to see a championship of this caliber that came down to the final race settled at a track...

RMT wrote:
Don’t feel bad, every year I go to Austin for the MotoGP race and often am embarrassed at the land around the track. Weeds and shitty...
Don’t feel bad, every year I go to Austin for the MotoGP race and often am embarrassed at the land around the track. Weeds and shitty houses, brown and dead looking with a random gas station or two and crappy back roads. The track is so bumpy the riders refused to come back unless they fixed it. It’s never sold out and most bleachers are half full except a few. No trees to speak of for shade and unless you pony up big for seat, no place but the ground to sit. MotoGp is the pinnacle of motorcycle racing in the world and they have to come to this pile of garbage?

See how easy it is to do that. I love COTA and coming to Austin each year, but nothing or nowhere’s perfect.
Man what a bummer, I always wanted to go to that race.
8tensolutions
9/4/2022 3:29pm
I can't think of many places worse than being in the middle of a dirt field when it's 100+ and dusty as hell. Compare that to Red Bud, Spring Creek, Budds, Ironman etc it just makes no sense. If you have to have a race in CA, do it at Mammoth.
D.K.O.N.
Fantasy
2505th
9/4/2022 3:50pm
100%. Too cool to show real support for the sport. Most just own a dirt bike to “fit in with the culture” and end up using...
RMT wrote:

Where do you live?

Hahaha!! Best comment. People hate on Cali so bad...but there's a reason 1/10 of people in the US live there. 🤷‍♂️
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
9/4/2022 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2022 3:59pm
Anyone got an official ballpark number of how many folks showed up or even a guesstimate?

I think the old average for Washougal used to be roughly 30k.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
9/4/2022 4:40pm
JMR1976 wrote:
That’s your subjective opinion. But its a statement of fact that Harambe eats feral cats like you for lunch
Harambe is dead.
kpiper
9/4/2022 5:15pm
kpiper wrote:
JMR1976 wrote:
Put the series up for bid and let someone new have a chance. Maybe a five-year contract. What is wrong with that? Of course, it will never happen but why do so many here think no one else could do a better job???
yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/4/2022 5:56pm
kpiper wrote:
JMR1976 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Put the series up for bid and let someone new have a chance. Maybe a five-year contract. What is wrong with that? Of course, it will...
Put the series up for bid and let someone new have a chance. Maybe a five-year contract. What is wrong with that? Of course, it will never happen but why do so many here think no one else could do a better job???
Because they see DC pound stakes and pick up garbage…
JMR1976
9/4/2022 5:58pm
kpiper wrote:
JMR1976 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Put the series up for bid and let someone new have a chance. Maybe a five-year contract. What is wrong with that? Of course, it will...
So you don’t actually have anyone in mind.

Post a reply to: Attendance at the final race with the championship on the line?

The Latest