Atlanta motor speedway SX

JoJmoto
I attempted a search prior to this thread and didn't see any talk about the schedule returning to AMS again this year.

I guess I am one of many who will not be attending the Atlanta round of SX due to it being moved from the stadium to the AMS facility. I have been out of the loop on here for awhile so has there been anything said about why they have moved this event to an outdoor infield track? I can't stand these races, personally.
|
Drfletcher
1/24/2022 5:15am
Just wondering why you prefer the indoor supercross to the outdoor venue?
Jjglass535
1/24/2022 5:43am
JoJmoto wrote:
I attempted a search prior to this thread and didn't see any talk about the schedule returning to AMS again this year. I guess I am...
I attempted a search prior to this thread and didn't see any talk about the schedule returning to AMS again this year.

I guess I am one of many who will not be attending the Atlanta round of SX due to it being moved from the stadium to the AMS facility. I have been out of the loop on here for awhile so has there been anything said about why they have moved this event to an outdoor infield track? I can't stand these races, personally.
What ???
Jharper
1/24/2022 5:47am
Okay, a Supercross at AMS will be a total Shit show for parking; unless everyone bails out because they don’t like outdoor venues, but it will be awesome for spectating depending where the actual track is laid out. Facility is huge, you can ride your bike around the place to get to other vantage points, and there’s a decent amount of elevation change. I know it’s SX and not MX; but it allows the builders to do some cool stuff if they want to. This will be like a Daytona without all the sand and without having to stand on a 45 degree angle to get close.

My former employer races the IMSA car series and we got to go with VIP (I’m from that area originally anyway-Winder) and there’s just a lot there. The place would be smart to have an infield track all the time. The parking (even with VIP) was across the street from the facility because everything had filled up the day before in the facility. It’s a good area, but I definitely wouldn’t leave my bike in a truck or trailer at parking for a second. It’s wayyyyy too far from view. The benefit to parking across the street is that it’s free (at least it was) and you can get out of there quicker because they were stopping traffic on the cross street.

I say if you’ve never done Tampa or Daytona, or have and liked it… you should go. It’s gonna be a good time.
Jack_Wagon
1/24/2022 5:55am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2022 5:56am
Jharper wrote:
Okay, a Supercross at AMS will be a total Shit show for parking; unless everyone bails out because they don’t like outdoor venues, but it will...
Okay, a Supercross at AMS will be a total Shit show for parking; unless everyone bails out because they don’t like outdoor venues, but it will be awesome for spectating depending where the actual track is laid out. Facility is huge, you can ride your bike around the place to get to other vantage points, and there’s a decent amount of elevation change. I know it’s SX and not MX; but it allows the builders to do some cool stuff if they want to. This will be like a Daytona without all the sand and without having to stand on a 45 degree angle to get close.

My former employer races the IMSA car series and we got to go with VIP (I’m from that area originally anyway-Winder) and there’s just a lot there. The place would be smart to have an infield track all the time. The parking (even with VIP) was across the street from the facility because everything had filled up the day before in the facility. It’s a good area, but I definitely wouldn’t leave my bike in a truck or trailer at parking for a second. It’s wayyyyy too far from view. The benefit to parking across the street is that it’s free (at least it was) and you can get out of there quicker because they were stopping traffic on the cross street.

I say if you’ve never done Tampa or Daytona, or have and liked it… you should go. It’s gonna be a good time.
I think you're talking about Road Atlanta? It's at Atlanta Motor Speedway (the Nascar track in Hampton).

The Shop

Jack_Wagon
1/24/2022 6:01am
JoJmoto wrote:
I attempted a search prior to this thread and didn't see any talk about the schedule returning to AMS again this year. I guess I am...

A bigger, better track at a safer facility outside in April. What's not to like? Better racing, better parking, better atmosphere. I hope they never go back to Mercedes Benz.
moto314
1/24/2022 6:43am
JoJmoto wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
A bigger, better track at a safer facility outside in April. What's not to like? Better racing, better parking, better atmosphere. I hope they never go...
A bigger, better track at a safer facility outside in April. What's not to like? Better racing, better parking, better atmosphere. I hope they never go back to Mercedes Benz.
And it's an East-West shootout and a daytime race (good for the young kids).
1/24/2022 6:46am
Everything you said OP, make it the opposite and that's how I feel. I am pumped to go to ATL this year. Plus it's Easter weekend so three days of partying in the safer part of ATL.
Skylebones
1/24/2022 7:14am
I've been to a bunch of the races live and the race as AMS last year was the best ever. The track was huge and it was amazing to see in person.
SethGator
1/24/2022 7:20am
There is plenty of parking and entrance/exits points at AMS. Plus you have Southern Pit and Buckners Restaurants near by.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
1/24/2022 9:25am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
A bigger, better track at a safer facility outside in April. What's not to like? Better racing, better parking, better atmosphere. I hope they never go...
I highly doubt we will ever see another race in the Mercedes stadium. From what I've heard, they didn't build that stadium for SX or Monster Trucks. I think the rounds that actually happened there were honoring a previous contract.
HD1200
1/24/2022 10:00am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
tcannon521 wrote:
I highly doubt we will ever see another race in the Mercedes stadium. From what I've heard, they didn't build that stadium for SX or Monster...
I highly doubt we will ever see another race in the Mercedes stadium. From what I've heard, they didn't build that stadium for SX or Monster Trucks. I think the rounds that actually happened there were honoring a previous contract.
Oh yeah I forgot that they built the Ga Dome for SX and Monster Trucks and just let the falcons play there
alien
1/24/2022 10:52am
I stopped attending the SX in the GA dome around 2015 due to the crime riddled neighborhood it was located in. Arthur Blank will not allow anymore motorsports in his new stadium. I attended the race at the AMS last year and it was much better in every way. Parking was safe and easy and at the end of the night no traffic when leaving. Even if it rains there is enough covered seating that you would not have to get wet.
yzrider314
1/24/2022 11:17am
This years Atlanta SX will be my son's first "in person" race. Thinking of looking for seats towards the center of the race track (Finish line for NASCAR) so we will have a decent view of the whole track. Any other suggestions from people who attended last year?
ArmPumped
1/24/2022 11:24am
I’m making arrangements to get to one race this year and I have it narrowed down to Gillette or Atlanta. You guys have a preference for me that would help make the decision?
Mavetism
1/24/2022 11:24am
You can't stand speedway tracks? What is going on.. the 4 races we had last year were an absolute blast to watch, can't get much better than that.
SethGator
1/24/2022 12:24pm
yzrider314 wrote:
This years Atlanta SX will be my son's first "in person" race. Thinking of looking for seats towards the center of the race track (Finish line...
This years Atlanta SX will be my son's first "in person" race. Thinking of looking for seats towards the center of the race track (Finish line for NASCAR) so we will have a decent view of the whole track. Any other suggestions from people who attended last year?
Try to sit the open, the overhang is good for if it’s raining otherwise your sight lines can be obstructed by pilings and the overhang. Top levels of the 100s or lowest levels of the 200s
yzrider314
1/24/2022 1:16pm
yzrider314 wrote:
This years Atlanta SX will be my son's first "in person" race. Thinking of looking for seats towards the center of the race track (Finish line...
SethGator wrote:
Try to sit the open, the overhang is good for if it’s raining otherwise your sight lines can be obstructed by pilings and the overhang. Top...
Try to sit the open, the overhang is good for if it’s raining otherwise your sight lines can be obstructed by pilings and the overhang. Top levels of the 100s or lowest levels of the 200s
Thanks Gator. Appreciate the input!
Jharper
1/24/2022 3:07pm
Jharper wrote:
Okay, a Supercross at AMS will be a total Shit show for parking; unless everyone bails out because they don’t like outdoor venues, but it will...

Jack_Wagon wrote:
I think you're talking about Road Atlanta? It's at Atlanta Motor Speedway (the Nascar track in Hampton).
You are absolutely right. My mistake. I’ve always thought it was dumb that it was called “Atlanta” in Braselton
1/26/2022 5:27am
JoJmoto wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
And spring thunderstorms/tornadoes in the south.
BobbyLight
1/26/2022 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2022 7:39am
I am still going but since the southeast always gets Daytona, I kind of liked ATL being in a stadium. Especially that year (or two?) that it was at the new Mercedes dome. This year there is no nashville, no orlando, basically making st louis the closest indoor stop for the southeast, which is lame. Plus that new dome is sick, padded seats and what has to be the lowest food/drink prices of any stadium in the country. I imagine it will always be at the speedway going forward though since its so much cheaper than the dome for feld.
There is pros and cons to speedway vs indoor but guess the southeast fans have no choice. Outdoor (mx) is kind of a lame situation too since they don't go to muddy creek anymore. We either get a sand track in FL in the absolute dead of summer or drive all the way to PA or MD. It is all good though, beggars can't be choosers. I'll still go.
JoJmoto
1/26/2022 6:39pm
Jharper wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
Yeah man, AMS not Road Atlanta..

Nonetheless Jack, I do not like sitting so far away from the track. I went to Daytona many years ago and said I would not go back. And you can forget standing on the track with the embankments, (Which I do not know if AMS has or lets ppl on the track) but I certainly cannot stand for hours any more.

I dislike the area the Dome was in and I wish they could find someplace better and safer than Atlanta Merc benz. But I like to be close to the races, not looking through binos
1/26/2022 7:38pm
ArmPumped wrote:
I’m making arrangements to get to one race this year and I have it narrowed down to Gillette or Atlanta. You guys have a preference for...
I’m making arrangements to get to one race this year and I have it narrowed down to Gillette or Atlanta. You guys have a preference for me that would help make the decision?
You’re planning to travel to just one race this year and those are the best rounds you could come up with? Those would probably be the last two on my list. San Diego, Anaheim, Daytona combined with bike week…any of those would be waaay higher on my list just for the weather if nothing else.
SethGator
1/26/2022 10:23pm
BobbyLight wrote:
I am still going but since the southeast always gets Daytona, I kind of liked ATL being in a stadium. Especially that year (or two?) that...
I am still going but since the southeast always gets Daytona, I kind of liked ATL being in a stadium. Especially that year (or two?) that it was at the new Mercedes dome. This year there is no nashville, no orlando, basically making st louis the closest indoor stop for the southeast, which is lame. Plus that new dome is sick, padded seats and what has to be the lowest food/drink prices of any stadium in the country. I imagine it will always be at the speedway going forward though since its so much cheaper than the dome for feld.
There is pros and cons to speedway vs indoor but guess the southeast fans have no choice. Outdoor (mx) is kind of a lame situation too since they don't go to muddy creek anymore. We either get a sand track in FL in the absolute dead of summer or drive all the way to PA or MD. It is all good though, beggars can't be choosers. I'll still go.
Nashville and Orlando aren’t indoors.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
1/27/2022 12:32am
BobbyLight wrote:
I am still going but since the southeast always gets Daytona, I kind of liked ATL being in a stadium. Especially that year (or two?) that...
SethGator wrote:
Nashville and Orlando aren’t indoors.
Was going to say the same. Even Tampa is outdoors
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
1/27/2022 12:38am
ArmPumped wrote:
I’m making arrangements to get to one race this year and I have it narrowed down to Gillette or Atlanta. You guys have a preference for...
You’re planning to travel to just one race this year and those are the best rounds you could come up with? Those would probably be the...
You’re planning to travel to just one race this year and those are the best rounds you could come up with? Those would probably be the last two on my list. San Diego, Anaheim, Daytona combined with bike week…any of those would be waaay higher on my list just for the weather if nothing else.
ATL last year was better in my opinion than Daytona. At least as far as the track goes. It was the longest lap time of the year all 3 rounds there and it had the most dirt. Also this year is a 250 east/west shootout. So to be able to see all the 250 riders at one place is a bad round? Weather was pretty good last year.
1/27/2022 4:52am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2022 4:58am
ArmPumped wrote:
You’re planning to travel to just one race this year and those are the best rounds you could come up with? Those would probably be the...
mwilcox349 wrote:
ATL last year was better in my opinion than Daytona. At least as far as the track goes. It was the longest lap time of the...
ATL last year was better in my opinion than Daytona. At least as far as the track goes. It was the longest lap time of the year all 3 rounds there and it had the most dirt. Also this year is a 250 east/west shootout. So to be able to see all the 250 riders at one place is a bad round? Weather was pretty good last year.
The east-west shootout is certainly a compelling reason, but as a general rule I’m not a fan of Supercross at a Speedway. It just isn’t the same atmosphere as a stadium. The tracks are so spread out. Track that are in downtown areas are fun because you can go in and watch practice and qualifying, then leave the stadium to hit a bar or restaurant in the neighborhood while waiting for the night show. If I lived near AMS, I would certainly attend, but it wouldn’t be a venue I would travel to.
JustMX
1/27/2022 5:46am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2022 5:47am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
At one time they had incredible motocross tracks at both facilities.

AMS (then AIR, Atlanta international raceway) hosted big events for years. If i remember right, the last one was a D-9 series race at the end of 1982.

After hosting mx events, including i believe, some trans ama events, road atlanta went about 10 years with no mx events.

It was opened back up in the mid 90's for a local series that raced on Saturdays and had decent turn outs. I think they did Saturdays because the county had restrictions on the number of Sundays they could run events.

Those races ceased in in early 00's.

With the consolidation of track ownership under a company that has gone through lawsuits from mx facilities on their properties, I doubt it will ever come back to Ams except for one off special events like an amateur day that can afford much higher insurance coverage.
Moto Mofo
1/27/2022 7:20am
Went to Atlanta last year. Between myself, those who went with me, and others I’ve spoken to who attended, everyone agreed that it was one of the most enjoyable SX races they’ve ever attended. I will travel to that round every year they have it.
JoJmoto
1/28/2022 4:25pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
JustMX wrote:
At one time they had incredible motocross tracks at both facilities. AMS (then AIR, Atlanta international raceway) hosted big events for years. If i remember right...
At one time they had incredible motocross tracks at both facilities.

AMS (then AIR, Atlanta international raceway) hosted big events for years. If i remember right, the last one was a D-9 series race at the end of 1982.

After hosting mx events, including i believe, some trans ama events, road atlanta went about 10 years with no mx events.

It was opened back up in the mid 90's for a local series that raced on Saturdays and had decent turn outs. I think they did Saturdays because the county had restrictions on the number of Sundays they could run events.

Those races ceased in in early 00's.

With the consolidation of track ownership under a company that has gone through lawsuits from mx facilities on their properties, I doubt it will ever come back to Ams except for one off special events like an amateur day that can afford much higher insurance coverage.
Always full of knowledge Joe! Thanks for the education. I remember driving by RR once and seeing a race there but I never got to attend any when they had it.

Post a reply to: Atlanta motor speedway SX

The Latest