Atlanta SX & AX

holeshot100
2/17/2017 5:56am
I was curious to see whether riders would be able to ride both events, and then I heard riders would only be able to race one event .
Is this ruling from the Professional racing rulebook?
I thought about a safety factor, but it seems to me if an AX rider with the right professional racing credentials should be able to compete. Surely many AX riders have more experience than many of the racers that attempt to qualify for a SX night program on a weekly basis.
Turning the tables to a current SX rider racing the AX. No factory or team rider would be racing the AX. It would just be privateers and a chance for some riders to possibly make some extra money and gain some extra exposure.
I am sure there are other variables in this ruling if it is outside the rulebook.
Can anyone enlighten others and myself on this decision?
|
2/17/2017 6:18am
Something about riders not being allowed to ride the track within 24hrs or so of a race. Hence why press day is held on Thursdays
cmarona463
2/17/2017 6:27am
That ruling came from a competition standpoint. They don't want any riders gaining an "unfair advantage" by racing part of the track Friday night before the rest of the competition gets to race on Saturday night. That is the story that was given.

However, I think a big part of it may also be that they don't want Friday night saturated by guys that don't normally race the AX series. I don't think many of the factory guys would have done both, but maybe some of the support teams and privateers would have loved to do both. If the main events ended up with 6 guys in the top 10 that don't normally race the series, the points would be affected. Also, the same could be said for Saturday night, since there are some guys at the top of the AX game that could mix up the top 10 in SX.
GangGreen
2/17/2017 9:16am
I was curious to see whether riders would be able to ride both events, and then I heard riders would only be able to race one...
I was curious to see whether riders would be able to ride both events, and then I heard riders would only be able to race one event .
Is this ruling from the Professional racing rulebook?
I thought about a safety factor, but it seems to me if an AX rider with the right professional racing credentials should be able to compete. Surely many AX riders have more experience than many of the racers that attempt to qualify for a SX night program on a weekly basis.
Turning the tables to a current SX rider racing the AX. No factory or team rider would be racing the AX. It would just be privateers and a chance for some riders to possibly make some extra money and gain some extra exposure.
I am sure there are other variables in this ruling if it is outside the rulebook.
Can anyone enlighten others and myself on this decision?
holeshot100 had asked, “Is this ruling from the Professional racing rulebook?”

No, again it’s the AMA making up the rules as they go along. It’s ridiculous.

Imagine the hype if an Arenacross regular would make the podium? Imagine the hype if a top level AMA Supercross rider battled with the Arenacross guys?
Imaging that a struggling privateer AMA Pro is in Atlanta just looking to earn some additional money? It could increase attendance at both events. Rider’s used to be able, if they wished, to qualify for both the 125cc and 250cc Supercross Main Events. Why not even market it as a Grand National type winner for the rider who earns the most points combined?

Section 4.7 Track Rentals within the 2017 Supercross Rulebook clearly states, “You cannot exclusively rent the track 72 hours prior to an event”. That’s it.

MX Culture
2/17/2017 9:41am
I know quite a few ax riders that wanted to race sx on Sat and they were told No

The Shop

RyanD797
Fantasy
464th
2/17/2017 9:55am
Lame. Miss the days of someone being able to race both classes in SX too.
holeshot100
2/17/2017 10:03am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2017 10:04am
GangGreen wrote:
holeshot100 had asked, “Is this ruling from the Professional racing rulebook?” [b]No, again it’s the AMA making up the rules as they go along. It’s ridiculous.[/b]...
holeshot100 had asked, “Is this ruling from the Professional racing rulebook?”

No, again it’s the AMA making up the rules as they go along. It’s ridiculous.

Imagine the hype if an Arenacross regular would make the podium? Imagine the hype if a top level AMA Supercross rider battled with the Arenacross guys?
Imaging that a struggling privateer AMA Pro is in Atlanta just looking to earn some additional money? It could increase attendance at both events. Rider’s used to be able, if they wished, to qualify for both the 125cc and 250cc Supercross Main Events. Why not even market it as a Grand National type winner for the rider who earns the most points combined?

Section 4.7 Track Rentals within the 2017 Supercross Rulebook clearly states, “You cannot exclusively rent the track 72 hours prior to an event”. That’s it.

Years ago the outdoor national series did initiate a rule that a rider could not race the amateur event hosted the
day(s) before the National prompted by racers getting extra track time before the national, which is in the rulebook somewhere.

Post a reply to: Atlanta SX & AX

The Latest