Astro van question

Tryhard
Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 1:43pm
So as its come to me and my wife's attention I will be having a chance to snag a very nice astro passenger van , wish it was cargo but owell. From some people in my family who want it gone. I had a buddy back in the day that I thought used to put his 250f in the back of. Just wondering if anyone knows if I'll have any problems getting a 18 crf250r in the back of it or not. I'll be gladly taking ownership of the van regardless.
|
slipdog
1/30/2019 7:03am
I ran one for years, just ran a tiedown from the bars to the front axle spacer and pulled it down a bit to get it in the back doors. Nowadays you could just set the holeshot device then release it when you get it inside. Saves you from scraping your knuckles on the way in. I use to stuff 3 bikes in mine sometimes.
Tryhard
1/30/2019 7:04am
slipdog wrote:
I ran one for years, just ran a tiedown from the bars to the front axle spacer and pulled it down a bit to get it...
I ran one for years, just ran a tiedown from the bars to the front axle spacer and pulled it down a bit to get it in the back doors. Nowadays you could just set the holeshot device then release it when you get it inside. Saves you from scraping your knuckles on the way in. I use to stuff 3 bikes in mine sometimes.
Man am I so glad to hear that especially with moving my son up to a big bike soon, I cant wait. Thanks alot !
moto314
1/30/2019 8:12am
I had one, back before holeshot devices, was a pain to get it in the door and never tried to fit 2 bikes in it. Went back to a pickup as I felt it was too small.

The Shop

Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
1/30/2019 12:27pm
Back in the day I had a KTM440mxc in mine, but I had to rotate the bars down as well as pull the front end down quite a bit to get it in the door.
1/30/2019 4:06pm
Takes a little technique and practice but I crammed 2 full-size bikes in mine for years. I did make a very solid bike shoe though and add eye bolts to the floor. Keep you from getting killed by your bike should you come to an abrupt stop.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/30/2019 4:39pm
I too had an Astro Van, really liked it alot. As others have said, had to crunch down the front a bit to get through the door but also as stated that was before holeshot devices! Now just set the holeshot device and load 'er up!
captmoto
1/30/2019 4:47pm
slipdog wrote:
I ran one for years, just ran a tiedown from the bars to the front axle spacer and pulled it down a bit to get it...
TPNI
kb228
1/30/2019 4:56pm
If you spray paint free candy on the side you can fit whatever you want in there
BR8ES
1/30/2019 5:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2019 5:24pm
miss my Astro van... all I did was lean my bike over when loading it and had the front wheel between the seats a bit. That was a good transporter.
G-man
1/30/2019 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 5:33am
Did someone say "AstroVan"? Woohoo

Always been a Van guy (Owned 6) since the 70's when they ruled the SoCal MX pits. Doesn't bother me that they have lost their popularity to SUV's and Hybrids which both are a joke in comparison to the practicality and usefulness of a Van.

For a short time I had three Astro's as I found a good deal on "Goldy" a 99 for $1900 with 155,000 miles on it. Sold "ol Whitey" for $1200 and it had 225,000 on it. So I paid $500 for a nine yr newer van with more features and 70,000 less miles Win Win. Smile

"Silver", my RoadTrip 99 was my first e-bay purchase in 2005 with 75,000 miles after Whitey got T-Boned on my way to Loretta Lynn's. I can't believe it's been 14 yrs since that fiasco!

She stays in the garage with my car to keep the mileage down and stay out of the BRUTAL SUN until the day I retire and no longer need two. I know it's crazy but what the hell! hahaha

Regarding putting a bike in, yes it is a tighter fit due to the rear A/C vents (a must in AZ), but can be done easily. Once inside I would loosen the tiedown I used to compress the forks (don't have a holeshot device).

If you do buy one sign into Astro/Safari forum as there is a wealth of knowledge and those guys do some unreal things to their Astros... . Grinning

I actually use a small converted jet-ski trailer for bike hauling. But if need be I can fit a bike inside.

Tryhard
1/31/2019 4:18am
Really like hearing all the feedback , I am a truck guy but have always wanted a van , and my wife's grandparents bought this one new in 99 and it only has 80k miles on it. And they had talks of selling it one day and I told them consider no one else that it was sold when they decided . Well they called a couple of weeks ago and said it needed a power side power steering hose and the usual gasket kit for the oil filter housing and they were gonna have it fixed and to come and pick it up when it was done and we would talk money later . Needless to say I'm stoked , I run a small business on the side and I'm tired of working out of my Cummins, and now knowing I'll be able to fit my bike in it is just so much better. Thanks guys !
1/31/2019 5:24am
Back when I was a kid my grandpa had an astro van with a wheelchair lift and we would load my YZ80 in using the lift. That thing was badass inside it had red interior and curtains. Makes me want one now.
1/31/2019 5:40am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 5:48am
I had one for doing electrical work all over the country, had the 4.3 vortec in it.... Had ladder racks filled and copper wire stacked to the roof on long trips.. Thing was bullet proof. (note: it was the commercial one not the passenger) I miss that beast for camping and hauling as well... still sitting in my bone yard (transmission finally went)
captmoto
1/31/2019 10:27am
Had a 95 and had to replace the injector spider twice. Got to where I could do it in about an hour. Had it a good long time but was too uncomfortable for a drive over 2 hours.
It was my kids first car and they pissed and moaned until one of their friend pointed out that at 5 bucks apiece they could hang at the beach for cheap.
Phantom 661
1/31/2019 6:27pm
Back when I was a kid my grandpa had an astro van with a wheelchair lift and we would load my YZ80 in using the lift...
Back when I was a kid my grandpa had an astro van with a wheelchair lift and we would load my YZ80 in using the lift. That thing was badass inside it had red interior and curtains. Makes me want one now.
My Astro van has a lift for my chair as well. Gotta lean way forward to transfer to the drivers seat though. Great little runner.
Cancerman
1/31/2019 11:24pm
If it's a later model, which are the EXT model, it's longer than the old style. I've had several of both. The 96 and newer are the good ones. They just kept getting better until they retired the model.I loved mine. If you are setting yours up for moto and want privacy, Use 5% on the windows behind the driver. That will give you about 2.5% total with the factory tint. Nobody will be able to see in at what you are carrying inside. Holeshot device is the hot set up. I lowered my bars before that. Two bike can go side by side with a little wiggling. Versatile hauler. The 4.3 is a good motor. Fresh oil, keep it cool, runs forever. Post a picture of it when you can, just for grins.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/1/2019 12:04am
Steve125 wrote:
Back in the day I had a KTM440mxc in mine, but I had to rotate the bars down as well as pull the front end down...
Back in the day I had a KTM440mxc in mine, but I had to rotate the bars down as well as pull the front end down quite a bit to get it in the door.
I hope there were no single to tables.Tongue
slipdog
2/1/2019 5:40am
Steve125 wrote:
Back in the day I had a KTM440mxc in mine, but I had to rotate the bars down as well as pull the front end down...
EZZA 95B wrote:
I hope there were no single to tables.Tongue
Exactly why I used a tiedown, Slipdog don't want no babyarm.
Tryhard
2/1/2019 7:10am
Cancerman wrote:
If it's a later model, which are the EXT model, it's longer than the old style. I've had several of both. The 96 and newer are...
If it's a later model, which are the EXT model, it's longer than the old style. I've had several of both. The 96 and newer are the good ones. They just kept getting better until they retired the model.I loved mine. If you are setting yours up for moto and want privacy, Use 5% on the windows behind the driver. That will give you about 2.5% total with the factory tint. Nobody will be able to see in at what you are carrying inside. Holeshot device is the hot set up. I lowered my bars before that. Two bike can go side by side with a little wiggling. Versatile hauler. The 4.3 is a good motor. Fresh oil, keep it cool, runs forever. Post a picture of it when you can, just for grins.
No doubt , it will be a couple of weeks before I can get it but the first plan was to bring the bike out clean it up remove the seats and load it up and snap a shot ! I'm actually super excited !
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
2/1/2019 7:13am
Save yourself the loading headaches and get an Express van instead. Much more spacious.
Shiftfaced
2/1/2019 9:49am
I loved mine. I always just carried the bike on a rack mounted in the hitch, and converted the interior into a “camper van”. I liked that it was AWD.
Tryhard
2/1/2019 10:05am
nrosso391 wrote:
Save yourself the loading headaches and get an Express van instead. Much more spacious.
Should have saved yourself and read the OP and realized my budget allows for this only because of the way that I am acquiring the van , and it is what I have available to me . My only question was fitment . Thanks for the suggestion though I suppose.
G-man
2/2/2019 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 1:42pm
Yep like I said in my earlier post Vans ruled the California pits back in the 70's. Cool

It's a shame that they dropped out of the most favorite Moto vehicle for some people but not me.

I had two of those vans in the first picture the yellowish Ford Econoline.
It had three on the tree shifting and was my first vehicle when I was 17 years old a hand-me-down from my pop that I bought from him.

After that I had a 1977 Chevy van just like that red one only it was brown. Also was a three on the tree and it was a great vehicle and had many good times in it.

Awesomeness!

Post a reply to: Astro van question

The Latest