Asterisk Or CTI Custom

GoYamaha
I know this probably have been brought up before but I cant seem to find it with the search function.

I just had ACL reconstruction and the surgeon made a statement "There is no study that can prove wearing braces prevent injuries." Which I can believe and makes sense, however he said that they can help on the mental side to gain confidence. He said if I do decide to get a pair he will help anyway he can to help fit and get insurance to help cover some of the cost of them.

I have tried on a lot of braces and am down to the Asterisk Cells (w/ straps) and boot tethers and custom CTI's. Has anyone had both and could give me some incites on your opinion on them. I have some time before I can get on the bike or get fitted for braces but I know I will be wearing some when I do ride.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
|
TXDirt
10/2/2018 5:38pm
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Knee braces prevent some knee injuries. Not all obviously. I would never swing a leg over a bike without knee braces on.
usafwx
10/2/2018 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2018 6:35pm
Science especially medical science has a study or evidence that can support a topic for or against. I know prior to wearing my CTIs I managed to completely tear my PCL in my left leg, and partially tear every ligament in my right knee. After my knee braces, not a single knee issue/injury, though plenty of other injuries, lol. Think about it. If worn and fitted properly they help secure your knee and avoiding overextending, twisiting, etc. that leads to a tear. I'd invest in some hands down and if he's willing to write a script I'd ask for one and go for the CTI's. Most comfortable and actually made for your unique knees/legs.
GoYamaha
10/2/2018 6:40pm
usafwx wrote:
Science especially medical science has a study or evidence that can support a topic for or against. I know prior to wearing my CTIs I managed...
Science especially medical science has a study or evidence that can support a topic for or against. I know prior to wearing my CTIs I managed to completely tear my PCL in my left leg, and partially tear every ligament in my right knee. After my knee braces, not a single knee issue/injury, though plenty of other injuries, lol. Think about it. If worn and fitted properly they help secure your knee and avoiding overextending, twisiting, etc. that leads to a tear. I'd invest in some hands down and if he's willing to write a script I'd ask for one and go for the CTI's. Most comfortable and actually made for your unique knees/legs.
Absolutely will be getting a set of braces no questions. I think you are right about if it is perfectly fitted it could provide stability and protection but he said "no studies can prove if they were wearing or not it would have the same outcome." Which I could understand his point but I still need a set. You said you had CTI's did you have them fitted and molded to your leg or did you take the measurements yourself?
Thanks,
Ryan
usafwx
10/2/2018 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2018 6:44pm
GoYamaha wrote:
Absolutely will be getting a set of braces no questions. I think you are right about if it is perfectly fitted it could provide stability and...
Absolutely will be getting a set of braces no questions. I think you are right about if it is perfectly fitted it could provide stability and protection but he said "no studies can prove if they were wearing or not it would have the same outcome." Which I could understand his point but I still need a set. You said you had CTI's did you have them fitted and molded to your leg or did you take the measurements yourself?
Thanks,
Ryan
Hey Ryan, Ortho gave me a script and her CTI/Ossur rep's info. I made a phone call to schedule a fitting. Went in and got a mold of my legs/knees done and some measurements. Few weeks later had my braces. You can even get them in painted colors like yamaha blue Wink Just make sure the rep adds the motocross pack which has the patella cup and some other stuff.

The Shop

j368
10/2/2018 6:47pm
usafwx wrote:
Science especially medical science has a study or evidence that can support a topic for or against. I know prior to wearing my CTIs I managed...
GoYamaha wrote:
Absolutely will be getting a set of braces no questions. I think you are right about if it is perfectly fitted it could provide stability and...
Thanks,
Ryan
I have a pair of CTI’s. They came to my house. They measure and take pictures of your knees, it took about an hour. I got mine about a week later. Perfect fit, and ask the Rep for the motocross kit
GoYamaha
10/2/2018 6:47pm
usafwx wrote:
Hey Ryan, Ortho gave me a script and her CTI/Ossur rep's info. I made a phone call to schedule a fitting. Went in and got a...
Hey Ryan, Ortho gave me a script and her CTI/Ossur rep's info. I made a phone call to schedule a fitting. Went in and got a mold of my legs/knees done and some measurements. Few weeks later had my braces. You can even get them in painted colors like yamaha blue Wink Just make sure the rep adds the motocross pack which has the patella cup and some other stuff.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Could not find any info for how to set up a appt. to get them fitted. Sounds like a reasonable process and from my lengthy research appears everyone says to get the custom cti's if you can and are happy with them for many many years.
Really appreciate your time
Ryan
usafwx
10/2/2018 6:56pm
GoYamaha wrote:
That is exactly what I was looking for. Could not find any info for how to set up a appt. to get them fitted. Sounds like...
That is exactly what I was looking for. Could not find any info for how to set up a appt. to get them fitted. Sounds like a reasonable process and from my lengthy research appears everyone says to get the custom cti's if you can and are happy with them for many many years.
Really appreciate your time
Ryan
No prob. Definately worth it. And then you can mail them back every few years and have them reconditioned for $100-200 or so.
agn5009
10/3/2018 5:45am
What are your guys' recommendation on how to get this process started?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/3/2018 6:50am
If you contact Ossur they have tons of info how to get the process started.
Lynch
10/3/2018 6:58am
Wish that was the case in Sweden, the guys over here had no clue how to get anyrything started. Still trying to get things sorted after 1,5 years.
agn5009
10/3/2018 7:24am
I just sent them an email. Hopefully I hear back from them. Thanks.
PFitzG38
10/3/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2018 9:14am
Seems like a no-brainer if you can get a RX. Use it for a pair of CTIs. I won't ride or ski without my Asterisk Cells.
al711
10/4/2018 7:48am
I have had both Acl's replaced, a total of three knee surgeries and I wear cti2's. My problem is I damage my knees when I stomp my foot for balance, knee brace doesn't really help with that, however I won't ride without my braces.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
11/8/2018 11:48am
For those who have gotten a doctor prescription for knee braces, how did you go about getting the doc on board? And what level of knee injury prior?

I have an appointment next week and was going to bring it up. Fortunately relatively minor at (I think) meniscus at worst.
Patrick461
11/8/2018 12:27pm
after trying off the shelf braces and then custom Cti braces there is nothing better than braces made for you IMO now if I had knee braces on before I destroyed my right knee I seriously doubt Id have a full knee replacement like I do now. Since wearing cti I never hurt my left knee ever in almost 30 years of MX AX and a few SX races now Im scared to ride anything other than trails with an implant trust me you dont want a knee replacement but its better than the piece of garbage no ligaments no cartilage worn out knee I had before now if I only had a time machine...
Roostermx58
11/8/2018 12:48pm
I have CTI. The support from them is awesome. Brett (CTI) was so awesome and helpful through the whole process and even went above and beyond when my braces showed up with the previous generation knee cups.
Mr. Info
11/8/2018 2:47pm
I love my Asterisk braces, the old one and the new ones. I have a complete knee replacement of the left knee the same knee I had ACL surgery on and have never had any issues. Customer service at Asterisk is the best but you do what's best for you.
Mr. Info
11/8/2018 7:06pm
Yes I do. And many other friends do as well.
Patrick461
11/8/2018 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2018 7:37pm
wow I dreamt of riding and felt pain in my dream its been 15 months since surgery maybe I need more time to heal. I had a horrific surgical and recovery had to have a revision shortly after replacement to re shim my knee I guess Im still scared but Id very much like to ride again one day life sucks without riding its pretty much my only reason to live
captmoto
11/8/2018 7:49pm
Patrick461 wrote:
wow I dreamt of riding and felt pain in my dream its been 15 months since surgery maybe I need more time to heal. I had...
wow I dreamt of riding and felt pain in my dream its been 15 months since surgery maybe I need more time to heal. I had a horrific surgical and recovery had to have a revision shortly after replacement to re shim my knee I guess Im still scared but Id very much like to ride again one day life sucks without riding its pretty much my only reason to live
I rode 4 months after knee replacement. I have one race in now and intend to get more races in this year.
tk2stroke
11/9/2018 12:25am
MXA did have a knee brace article last month and they did allude to a study where braces prevent ACL injuries by 50% and MCL injuries by 700%. Even without the MXA article, I would be highly suspect of the accuracy of there not being any studies proving braces do not help in the prevention of injury.
Patrick461
11/9/2018 6:33am
Patrick461 wrote:
wow I dreamt of riding and felt pain in my dream its been 15 months since surgery maybe I need more time to heal. I had...
captmoto wrote:
I rode 4 months after knee replacement. I have one race in now and intend to get more races in this year.
thats insane but good for you man my surgeries were less than ideal

Post a reply to: Asterisk Or CTI Custom

The Latest