Asking landowners permission to allow me ride on their property...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2018 1:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2018 8:50 PM

Hello, I’m from Ireland and at a very bad spot for tracks any that may be open are more than 3 hours away and “my driver” (dad) isn’t keen on driving for that long... so I took to a site where people sell and rent property and began asking them politely via email if I would be allowed to ride my bike there... so far one response saying no. I sent out about 20-25 emails asking, although it’s only http://movieseriesworld.com/ been about 4 hours... Are there any ways that I could possibly persuade them into letting me, as for there eyes they probably see every bike rider and some hooligan that will tear up the land ( and to be honest there not far off )

If my point is unclear I just need advice on how to somehow persuade landowners to allow me to ride on there empty land. Maybe am I targeting the wrong people?

|

12/13/2018 2:02 AM

As someone that gets asked this question a lot you need to understand their position. The biggest factor in letting someone ride on your property is liability. I would start off by offering to sign a waiver or something, although we all know it isn't work the paper it's written on in most states, and offer to do something for the property like clean up trash or something to leave it better than it was. Nothing makes a land owner more angry than to go to the land and find trash and or the landscaping destroyed by disrespectful aholes....

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

12/13/2018 2:54 AM

Whats worked best for me when i was a teenager was to become friends with neighbors from mowing their yards and stuff. They didnt have a problem letting me ride in the woods. Youre better off connecting with them instead of blindly sending emails. Their point of view is, this random guy i do not know wants to be on my property. Doesnt sound good. You want their point of view to be: hey jimmy who has been mowing my yard for a while wants to come ride in the woods? Sure why not hes a good kid.

You need to offer value in any relationship to get anything back. People arent going to give it to you for free. That goes for everything in life.

|

12/13/2018 3:29 AM

Just a thought here, but you’d stand a much better chance if you were to meet them face to face and politely ask/explain your position. Just sending out emails is too impersonal and cold. You need to show them that you are a good kid. Then you will need to offer them something for their kindness, chores on the property, helping to do other things. That being said, if Ireland is anything like the US, the liability issues alone will thwart your desires. Good luck.

|

12/13/2018 3:37 AM

Being your in Ireland, you may want to show up with a bottle of their favorite Irish whiskey. That may be the easiest way in the door.
Was in Ireland 2 years ago, did not realise how may whiskey distilleries you guys have.
Visited Bushmills and Jameson.

|

12/13/2018 3:39 AM

downard254 wrote:

Just a thought here, but you’d stand a much better chance if you were to meet them face to face and politely ask/explain your position. Just sending out emails is too impersonal and cold. You need to show them that you are a good kid. Then you will need to offer them something for their kindness, chores on the property, helping to do other things. That being said, if Ireland is anything like the US, the liability issues alone will thwart your desires. Good luck.

^This.

No guarantees you will get anywhere face to face, but to expect to get somewhere with cold call emails is totally unrealistic.

|

HAF

12/15/2018 9:28 AM

I really admire your determination.

My two cents is that people are going to have a wild imagination about what you are going to do on their property. Most people are thinking big jumps, getting hurt, drinking and crazy stuff. I would write down a list of rules that you will abide by (e.g. Not going to build jumps on the property or modify it, not going to invite others to ride with you, will remain within the area they designate you can ride, will only ride in certain hours.)

That and doing what other say above about building a relationship and offering chores should get you the furthest.

|

12/15/2018 11:53 AM

Talisker wrote:

Being your in Ireland, you may want to show up with a bottle of their favorite Irish whiskey. That may be the easiest way in the door.
Was in Ireland 2 years ago, did not realise how may whiskey distilleries you guys have.
Visited Bushmills and Jameson.

This is how I used to find places to hunt birds when I was in college. We'd find the right property, track the landowner through neighbors or county records, and go knock on his door with a handle of J&B in hand. It worked every time.

|