As a fan, talk about starving...

mop
7/11/2010 7:57pm
Hanaa80 wrote:
I know how you feel. Finland used to have title contenders, but that was in the 70's and 80's. Nowadays almost all the good riders start...
I know how you feel. Finland used to have title contenders, but that was in the 70's and 80's. Nowadays almost all the good riders start to ride Enduro and do pretty well in it. Thank god Estonia gave us Harri Kullas. I don't know how long we're able to keep him though.
DrSweden wrote:
I hear you. Damn you guys are in the Titanic with us!? You had some pretty good riders recently but now you go our path it...
I hear you. Damn you guys are in the Titanic with us!? You had some pretty good riders recently but now you go our path it seems...Yeah Harri seems to be doing rather ok, to bad he's the only finn riding for the moment?

Damn. I envy the french the most...
Hanaa80 wrote:
Yeah, Harri is the only rider at the moment. We had Jussi-Pekka Vehviläinen and Antti Pyrhönen recently, but both had too many injuries. Naturally there are...
Yeah, Harri is the only rider at the moment. We had Jussi-Pekka Vehviläinen and Antti Pyrhönen recently, but both had too many injuries.

Naturally there are many factors for the downfall, but one them have to be this: Finnish juniors can't start competing untill they're 12 years old. Previously this wasn't such a big deal, but nowadays it seems that the game is over before it even begins. I bet Herlings, Roczen and Barcia have competed since they were 5.

Also our tracks are pretty old fashioned and poorly maintained. I went to Uddevalla last weekend and now I envy the Swedes.
Yeah, buy you Finn's have the cool names like MIKA KOUKI.......
spice
7/12/2010 8:12am
To the question, why we don’t have any top riders anymore, it’s really simple. Stop looking around for solutions or what happened. It’s plain simple.
You have to get your as out of bed and of the videogames and go out there and train!
Simple as that.
We have everything here, tracks, bikes etc.
But it’s like we are satisfied in this smaller world of Sweden, so if you turn “pro” here witch is easy if you just focus, then that’s it! BUT if you want to make it in the real world, you have to live in the world of blood, sweat and tears.
That’s how simple it is.
mx_563
7/12/2010 9:36am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2010 9:39am
At least you have some memories. We're still waiting for somebody to come through and place on the international scene. We had a "back-of-the-pack" MX3 dude a couple of years ago but that's it!
Oh well, at least we have Blazusiak and Oblucki in Enduro...

Here's my question for the Euros: I always thought that environmentalists and land use was a huge issue in Europe, but how is it that there are so many great enduro riders in Europe? You need a lot more land to run an enduro than an MX race. How is it in Sweden? Is it a problem to find places to ride? What about Finland? (I was thinking to some day take the ferry from Gdansk to do some riding up there....ha ha!)

Oh, and I agree with Sunhouse, the national federation in PL is the same way - bunch of old guys afraid of change.
DrSweden
7/12/2010 11:45am
I can't talk for the whole Europe, but in Sweden much land is owned by government/habitants which gives us some liberties to run at those properties without any huge hassle depending on how many people that lives nearby. I private owners tend to be a bit more aggressive butt hurt in protecting his views etc while the government isn't emotionally attached in the same manner. Another factor is that we are a huge country in relation to a small population. A lot of forests that people don't care about.

Also one big factor is that people don't sue others for med bills or whatever which makes fighting fore eventual profit less motivated.

But as spice point out and as I think I made a case of, not enough people see any point in becoming a pro in Sweden

The Shop

Post a reply to: As a fan, talk about starving...

The Latest