As Americans, we need to change our perspective (MXoN)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/30/2019 11:38 AM

Boy, that was a hard one to swallow. It was tough to watch after all the work our boys put into this single race.

But this isn't another post to echo what could've been if only things had been a bit different. It's also not to repeat how much damn respect I have for this team, though you can't overstate how much recognition the deserve.

It dawned on me today that the one of the main reasons why this race has become less important over the years isn't because of the calendar, or because of supercross, or because of the cost, but because we've been thinking about it the wrong way for far too long.

Maybe it's the downside of winning it for so many years, but I believe the focus of the race has wrongfully been placed on winning and determining "who's best". I know, I know, motocross is about winning, and that will always be an important component.

But maybe this race is special because it's so much more than that. This race should about celebrating motocross around the world, not just finding out how is fastest. How cool is it that once a year so many countries come together to ride?

It should be about promoting motocross across the world. It should be about welcoming those countries that are relatively new to the sport and celebrating those riders who are trying to grow our sport in those countries. It should be about celebrating how cool our sport is and trying to grow it.

In that light, our riders are more like ambassadors than pure racers, there to represent what motocross means to us. Everyone's riders are. So maybe next time, instead of laughing about how much slower other riders are and referring to them as a "problem", we respect them and the effort they've gone through to be there?

Yes it's great when we go and win, but maybe we should shift the focus from what we stand to gain from this race and focus on how we can contribute to the sport of motocross in how we participate and represent what we're about.

|

9/30/2019 12:01 PM

Excellent post and I agree.

I can't help feel slighted though... growing up as a kid and watching the US teams of Bailey, Johnson, Ward, Lechien, Hannah, and the like... the tracks they raced were the best of the best... destination tracks and lifetime experiences.

Then this year you have a 100% man-made track for the "Olympics of MX"? Even if the weather had been perfect, was this really something to look forward to as a racer from the US? I really like the idea of this being an event to celebrate motocross but keeping that in mind, it really needs to be held at the greatest, established tracks around the world IMO.

Reminds me of the USGP being held at Charlotte on a push up track. Felt similar to a state fair race to me.

|

9/30/2019 6:13 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

Boy, that was a hard one to swallow. It was tough to watch after all the work our boys put into this single race.

But this isn't another post to echo what could've been if only things had been a bit different. It's also not to repeat how much damn respect I have for this team, though you can't overstate how much recognition the deserve.

It dawned on me today that the one of the main reasons why this race has become less important over the years isn't because of the calendar, or because of supercross, or because of the cost, but because we've been thinking about it the wrong way for far too long.

Maybe it's the downside of winning it for so many years, but I believe the focus of the race has wrongfully been placed on winning and determining "who's best". I know, I know, motocross is about winning, and that will always be an important component.

But maybe this race is special because it's so much more than that. This race should about celebrating motocross around the world, not just finding out how is fastest. How cool is it that once a year so many countries come together to ride?

It should be about promoting motocross across the world. It should be about welcoming those countries that are relatively new to the sport and celebrating those riders who are trying to grow our sport in those countries. It should be about celebrating how cool our sport is and trying to grow it.

In that light, our riders are more like ambassadors than pure racers, there to represent what motocross means to us. Everyone's riders are. So maybe next time, instead of laughing about how much slower other riders are and referring to them as a "problem", we respect them and the effort they've gone through to be there?

Yes it's great when we go and win, but maybe we should shift the focus from what we stand to gain from this race and focus on how we can contribute to the sport of motocross in how we participate and represent what we're about.

Well, here's how I see it: Our "best riders' were not there because money is more important than anything else.

And while your perspective is laudable and credible, nothing could be further from reality. Every rider/country/

team relished putting the wood to the Americans. And always will. I look forward to the day we can repay in kind.

|

9/30/2019 7:22 PM

I say melt down that big trophy.
Make a bunch of small ones.
Everyone gets a trophy, every year.

No scoring. The riders get dressed up in their latest gear and kinda ride around for 30 minutes, 3 times.

Any rider, or team member, that vocally hurts the feelings of another rider, or team member, is banned for a period of time. Duration of penalty determined by WADA.

The winner will be determined by the largest number of women on their team, riders included.

Ties will be determined by which country provides the best day care at the track.

You guys gotta agree, that's a winning formula right there.

|

9/30/2019 8:03 PM

Some valid points and especially this one gets to me:

"In that light, our riders are more like ambassadors than pure racers, there to represent what motocross means to us. Everyone's riders are."

Having Team Fried represent the USA was a complete joke imo. Do you think Dungey, Villapoto or Stanton would have accepted that? Just because Jason's personal cameraman thought it was cool (it wasn't) should mean that's what they go by.

I'm sure DeCoster really liked it, this isn't Fast Times at Ridgement High!

|

9/30/2019 8:45 PM

Maybe hosting it in some of the up and coming countries would be good. Share the stars of the sport with the world. Imagine a kid in Thailand or Argentina getting to meet Dungey and watch him ride.

|

9/30/2019 9:09 PM

Dont forget Capri Sun ,orange slices and granola bars for everyone at the start gate after the race.

|

9/30/2019 9:25 PM

Please no new ideas around here,
all it drags up is the usual moronic replies from those whos brain sounds like shaking an empty spray can.

|

9/30/2019 9:48 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

What's funny about this post is this is how the world outside of the U.S. views this event and was it's mandate since it's inception.Like the Olympics hard to put it all together on one specific day.That's why winning is secondary to participating.At least you guys went period we (Canada) couldn't even do that. "Oh, the single largest one day Motocross event in the world? Sorry can't make it.CMA."

|

9/30/2019 10:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2019 10:08 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

Bermworm wrote:

What's funny about this post is this is how the world outside of the U.S. views this event and was it's mandate since it's inception.Like the Olympics hard to put it all together on one specific day.That's why winning is secondary to participating.At least you guys went period we (Canada) couldn't even do that. "Oh, the single largest one day Motocross event in the world? Sorry can't make it.CMA."

O Canada!!! Haha.

|

9/30/2019 10:30 PM

G-man wrote:

"In that light, our riders are more like ambassadors than pure racers, there to represent what motocross means to us. Everyone's riders are."

Having Team Fried represent the USA was a complete joke imo. Do you think Dungey, Villapoto or Stanton would have accepted that? Just because Jason's personal cameraman thought it was cool (it wasn't) should mean that's what they go by.

I couldn't disagree with you more about this (you even copped an 'unlike' from me haha, might be my 2nd or 3rd one)

I think Team Fried endeared everyone outside of the US to your team..

The whole too serious only there to win and get all pissy when you didn't win thing was only good for forcing a wedge between you guys and the rest of the world! Which is cool if you're happy to reap what you sow but I always heard complaints of "Ooh it's the US verse the world" or "They all want us to lose"

Look around, NO ONE wanted this US team to lose!

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

9/30/2019 10:44 PM

G-man wrote:

jemcee wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more about this (you even copped an 'unlike' from me haha, might be my 2nd or 3rd one)

I think Team Fried endeared everyone outside of the US to your team..

The whole too serious only there to win and get all pissy when you didn't win thing was only good for forcing a wedge between you guys and the rest of the world! Which is cool if you're happy to reap what you sow but I always heard complaints of "Ooh it's the US verse the world" or "They all want us to lose"

Look around, NO ONE wanted this US team to lose!

It´s a normal reaction to want a dominat team to loose. But at this point I think all motocross fans around the world wants USA back. The land factor is important but the motocross factor is even more important. We want to see great races and the best fightng for the victory.
Not sure if Team Fried should become Team Friends. We miss team USA. Enough buts, ifs, bad luck. We want a figth (on the track of course)

|

10/1/2019 12:30 AM

JFerry wrote:

It´s a normal reaction to want a dominat team to loose. But at this point I think all motocross fans around the world wants USA back. The land factor is important but the motocross factor is even more important. We want to see great races and the best fightng for the victory.
Not sure if Team Fried should become Team Friends. We miss team USA. Enough buts, ifs, bad luck. We want a figth (on the track of course)

Yeah I do agree with that but I'd also say they haven't really gone anywhere.. They've been shitty luck and shitty conditions away from great results! Obviously everyone races in the same conditions but in a dry race they've gotta be favourites..
I reckon a 'happy to be there' US team can be just as successful as a 'we're just here to win' team, and would be even more fan favourites than they are already..
I guess it comes down to which approach you think will get the results.. pressure/sole focus or less pressure/more fun

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

10/1/2019 1:30 AM

TexasVet wrote:

Well, here's how I see it: Our "best riders' were not there because money is more important than anything else.

And while your perspective is laudable and credible, nothing could be further from reality. Every rider/country/

team relished putting the wood to the Americans. And always will. I look forward to the day we can repay in kind.

" Every rider/country/team relished putting the wood to the Americans"

A few years ago maybe. Not sure this view is that correct any more. I'm sure most countries were far more focused on trying to do the best they possibly could, trying to beat France and Holland. USA were realistically never a favourite for the win this year. The rubbish track and horrible conditions meant it was even more of a lottery than usual and luck played a big part.

USA need to send their best team and get back to winning before they're going to be the team everyone wants to beat once again. Right now the pressure and focus is off them (as far as the other teams anyway). Ideal time for a big comeback.

Also in one of the many other MXDN threads it was said that US riders can't ride sand tracks, but seeing how well they did in the most recent US MXGPs shows they're still as good as Europe's best. Well hang on, aren't Jacksonville and Glen Helen both sand tracks?

|

10/1/2019 2:33 AM

TexasVet wrote:

You Sir, is why there's a US Vs MXGP divide. You are the reason Americans are generalised & labelled as arrogant big-heads when you win & sore losers when you lose.

Give it up. You'll be a happier person for it.

BIG thumbs down for your post.

*Coming from a "mouthy Brit" who was actually rooting for Team USA to win.

|

10/1/2019 3:47 AM

TriRacer27 wrote:

I like your post..its a good one!
I love mxon...absolutely my favorite race of the year..
Luck...or more succinctly, bad luck, seems to be the theme of the day at this event..so many full on mud races in recent years too just compounding that..
The Dutch guys shone this year....they were brilliant...no denying it!
I love this race and look foward to the whole thing...the conjecture over team selection and all that stuff.
Was absolutely stoked to see just how well the two young blokes on team Australia Regan Duffy and Kyle Webster did in qualifying..they had a shitty day Sunday as did most teams but I bet they turned some heads and were paid a visit by some team managers..well I hope so anyway..

|

2017 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250

10/1/2019 4:41 AM

G-man wrote:

Team Fried did not represent the USA. They are a couple of goofy friends of JA that provided some fantastic video coverage and I am glad they did.

Regarding Decoster, I don't know about that. Team Fried got Decoster to smile and laugh a few times. Decoster also commented that he liked how there was more of a team atmosphere.

|

10/1/2019 9:02 AM

G-man wrote:

Crossup wrote:

Team Fried did not represent the USA. They are a couple of goofy friends of JA that provided some fantastic video coverage and I am glad they did.

Regarding Decoster, I don't know about that. Team Fried got Decoster to smile and laugh a few times. Decoster also commented that he liked how there was more of a team atmosphere.

Also, still now, 14 years after he turned pro, people still cannot spell Villopoto.

|

10/1/2019 9:29 AM

I agree with the OP in many ways but that does not mean we throw the towel in on trying to win this thing again. We had a helluva run but that sh-t is history and if we want it we have to go take it back against a bunch of guys that have their outdoor game at A+ level these days. In some twisted way I like where we are now because all the pretense of us being king of the hill is gone. We are going to have to earn it and I look forward to it!

|

10/1/2019 11:33 AM

G-man wrote:

If DeCoster had a problem with it I'm sure he would've said something. Doesn't seem like a guy to beat around the bush.

I enjoyed what the US team did this year. They basically made it into an adventure, took the fans along with and made it fun. Yeah the results didn't go our way but that's racing. Better yet is the team was gracious in defeat. No mention of schedules, no mention of supercoss, no excuses other than it wasn't their day.

Selfishly I would love to see these 3 go again next year, and I say selfishly, because these guys deserve to enjoy their off season after the effort that was put into this years MXoN.

|

10/1/2019 11:37 AM

300.000$ the cost of sending team usa to the MXON
https://mxvice.com/118776/insight-roger-decoster

|

10/1/2019 12:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2019 12:33 PM

This race should be held every 2 years. Trick is to not leave money on the table for promoters by skipping a year. Make it a longer weekend, have an all star amateur day, women's, former pro Vets, etc.
Racing the event every single year seems forced.
IMHO every 2 years would make it more special as the OP points out. (Good post BTW)

Edit: If the countries wanted to make changes they absolutely could. They hold the power. Suspect they would all rather race every other year.

|

10/1/2019 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2019 1:10 PM

G-man wrote:

Fourth_Floor wrote:

If DeCoster had a problem with it I'm sure he would've said something. Doesn't seem like a guy to beat around the bush.

I enjoyed what the US team did this year. They basically made it into an adventure, took the fans along with and made it fun. Yeah the results didn't go our way but that's racing. Better yet is the team was gracious in defeat. No mention of schedules, no mention of supercoss, no excuses other than it wasn't their day.

Selfishly I would love to see these 3 go again next year, and I say selfishly, because these guys deserve to enjoy their off season after the effort that was put into this years MXoN.

What could Roger have said or done after the guys have been filming and constantly yapping about Team Fried on YouTube?

The announcers in the tent at the press conference even mention team fried and the guys filming had a yuck yuck "see they even call us Team Fried!"

Yeah it was cool to see the videos but the constant team fried BS got to me. I'm old school and I went to Holland 28 years ago to see my first of FOUR Motocross des Nations. In those four events the Americans won each one. I cherish this weekend event more than any of my lifetime.

Being at a Motocross des Nations overseas is something incredible and hard to describe as the European fans are very passionate.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I really think
a team of Stanton, Bradshaw and Kiederowski would NOT have accepted or gone by the name Team Fried.
Anybody that thinks so is only lying to themselves.

And yeah just to add more fuel to the fire to have it held on a man-made track inside the infield of a road race facility was also a joke.

This is the place that it should have been at:
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Peter-Chamberlain-Trophy,1244110

And by the way it does not even bother me that much that the Americans lost.

What made my day to what was otherwise a disappointing Motocross des Nations is the fact the Dutch team kicked ass! They were clearly the fastest team last year and they deserved this.

Tip of the visor to them I'm happy for the Riders and their fans.

|

10/1/2019 1:23 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

TexasVet wrote:

That has certainly been the case at times, but for the last few years things have been quite different. As much as you and many Americans seem unwilling to accept the reality, Team USA is no longer considered a favorite to win. We are, in fact, the underdogs; the team with solid talent and a decent shot at winning IF everything works out perfectly on Sunday and nothing works out well for any other team.

Team NL were absolutely the favorites for the last two years, NOT the underdogs. This time around it didn't even all need to come together for them. Nevertheless, it did (solid moto scores all around...they could've even counted all 6 of their scores and they STILL would've won).

Not a "hard one to swallow" here for me, as TriRacer27 put it. I've long since accepted that:
1) Not all of the the best Americans (teams and/or talent) consider the MXoN a top priority.
2) The MXGP riders have stepped up enormously over the last decade.

So we are no longer the top seed, and I'm fine with that. It's just the reality. Anyway, I like rooting for the underdog, and any team or rider that shows some real heart at the most significant race on the calendar.

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

10/1/2019 2:02 PM

RCMXracing wrote:

This race should be held every 2 years. Trick is to not leave money on the table for promoters by skipping a year. Make it a longer weekend, have an all star amateur day, women's, former pro Vets, etc.
Racing the event every single year seems forced.
IMHO every 2 years would make it more special as the OP points out. (Good post BTW)

Edit: If the countries wanted to make changes they absolutely could. They hold the power. Suspect they would all rather race every other year.

And what makes you think "all would rather race every other year"? The GP riders are very very keen to race this event.

|

10/1/2019 2:05 PM

thepelican wrote:

I would think team gbr, team Nl and team belgium combined spend less then 300.000 when they beat the us at red bud

|

10/1/2019 2:09 PM

thepelican wrote:

roninho wrote:

I would think team gbr, team Nl and team belgium combined spend less then 300.000 when they beat the us at red bud

They didn't spend 2 weeks training

|

10/1/2019 2:13 PM

roninho wrote:

And what makes you think "all would rather race every other year"? The GP riders are very very keen to race this event.

I would be too if I only had to travel a handful of hours most years with a US vacation or possibly two thrown in over my career span.

|

10/1/2019 2:18 PM

thepelican wrote:

How the f..k would it cost 300.,000 that’s crazy
Ireland went to red last year and it didn’t cost a tenth of that
I’m calling BS on that one

|

10/1/2019 3:11 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

TexasVet wrote:

Fraser wrote:

" Every rider/country/team relished putting the wood to the Americans"

A few years ago maybe. Not sure this view is that correct any more. I'm sure most countries were far more focused on trying to do the best they possibly could, trying to beat France and Holland. USA were realistically never a favourite for the win this year. The rubbish track and horrible conditions meant it was even more of a lottery than usual and luck played a big part.

USA need to send their best team and get back to winning before they're going to be the team everyone wants to beat once again. Right now the pressure and focus is off them (as far as the other teams anyway). Ideal time for a big comeback.

Also in one of the many other MXDN threads it was said that US riders can't ride sand tracks, but seeing how well they did in the most recent US MXGPs shows they're still as good as Europe's best. Well hang on, aren't Jacksonville and Glen Helen both sand tracks?

Glen Helen is far from a sand track, even Southwick. This is the mistake you made in Lommell and why Decoster got them over early. Look at Vallkenswaard, to the Dutch this is not far from a normal loam track. Definitely not what is known as sand in Europe.

|