1274th
2/9/2007 1:31am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 6:19pm
Ready? Time to add your .02
|
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
2/9/2007 6:38pm
Wow, good message for sure, it had to be done...thanks...

In our clinic we are seeing way to many SCI's related to mx/motorcycles...and we are only one clinic...sad
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/9/2007 6:51pm
jmc2 wrote:
Wow, good message for sure, it had to be done...thanks... In our clinic we are seeing way to many SCI's related to mx/motorcycles...and we are only...

In our clinic we are seeing way to many SCI's related to mx/motorcycles...and we are only one clinic...sad
A lot of the videos I shoot are pretty lighthearted. That one was all business. David was fired up and on a mission.

The good news is, it seemed to hit home with at least a couple of the guys that he was talking to in it.

Jimmy Button's response on MT was impressive.
Rock61
2/9/2007 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
jmc2 wrote:
Wow, good message for sure, it had to be done...thanks... In our clinic we are seeing way to many SCI's related to mx/motorcycles...and we are only...

GuyB wrote:
A lot of the videos I shoot are pretty lighthearted. That one was all business. David was fired up and on a mission. The good news...
A lot of the videos I shoot are pretty lighthearted. That one was all business. David was fired up and on a mission.

The good news is, it seemed to hit home with at least a couple of the guys that he was talking to in it.

Jimmy Button's response on MT was impressive.
That video really hits home for anyone who rides and pays attention to the sport. I thank you for posting it and more importantly I thank David Bailey for having the stones to call out all of the top pros, "industry" people and the AMA for not taking action sooner and more aggressively when it comes to safety issues, particularly neck injuries. When I was a kid DB was my idol ... now as an adult I have immense respect and admiration for him. Get well soon David, you are clearly needed as a leader in the fight for rider safety.
BobbyM
2/9/2007 8:19pm
very moving...damn i hope i see db at a race very soon.

maybe people will listen to david...maybe they won't. but why the fugg doesn't the stewards of the sport, the overseers, the captain of the ship make it mandatory to wear it or another approved device for racing mx/sx...especially sx? make it a rule.

there's not many things more asinine than sitting on a metal wheeled projectile speeding over very rough terrain, but breaking yer neck when a device that is available wasn't used is even more asinine.

fact is after you are permanently disabled nobody realizes the shit you go through day in and day out until you go through it yerself...you think you might know but you don't. just like you think you might know what it's like when you die...but you don't...until you do.

so listen to this man...I sure hope they do.

The Shop

mpy
2/9/2007 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
BobbyM wrote:
very moving...damn i hope i see db at a race very soon. maybe people will listen to david...maybe they won't. but why the fugg doesn't the...

maybe people will listen to david...maybe they won't. but why the fugg doesn't the stewards of the sport, the overseers, the captain of the ship make it mandatory to wear it or another approved device for racing mx/sx...especially sx? make it a rule.

there's not many things more asinine than sitting on a metal wheeled projectile speeding over very rough terrain, but breaking yer neck when a device that is available wasn't used is even more asinine.

fact is after you are permanently disabled nobody realizes the shit you go through day in and day out until you go through it yerself...you think you might know but you don't. just like you think you might know what it's like when you die...but you don't...until you do.

Man that was some powerful stuff, and really personal with the riders he mentioned. Let's hope this product will be accepted by everyone, and so that we won't hear the usual line "injuries are part of the sport, blah blah blah"...
PD441
2/9/2007 9:44pm
BobbyM wrote:
very moving...damn i hope i see db at a race very soon. maybe people will listen to david...maybe they won't. but why the fugg doesn't the...

mpy wrote:
Man that was some powerful stuff, and really personal with the riders he mentioned. Let's hope this product will be accepted by everyone, and so that...
Man that was some powerful stuff, and really personal with the riders he mentioned. Let's hope this product will be accepted by everyone, and so that we won't hear the usual line "injuries are part of the sport, blah blah blah"...
I have to agree with DB when he said he's not sure if it's THE answer but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Even if it's only 10-20% more effective in your protection, it's worth it. You just never know when it could happen. I'm hoping it will lead to more research and development of more products like it. I've seen two SX crashes so far this season that could have been really bad - DV's in Phoenix was just inches from being devastating and the Gosselaar/Davalos incident. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but Davalos' head tucked under him when he hit the ground after the hit on Gosselaar. Those are just two that I can think of at the moment. I know most pros are extremely picky about every little thing that changes the feel they're used to but I really would like to see some of the top guys take the initiative with this. Michael Sleeter has a lot of respect from a lot of people for breaking the ice. Hopefully more will follow. I have even more respect for David Bailey after watching that.
Digger437
2/10/2007 7:16am
BobbyM wrote:

mpy wrote:
Man that was some powerful stuff, and really personal with the riders he mentioned. Let's hope this product will be accepted by everyone, and so that...
PD441 wrote:
I have to agree with DB when he said he's not sure if it's THE answer but it is definitely a step in the right direction...
I have to agree with DB when he said he's not sure if it's THE answer but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Even if it's only 10-20% more effective in your protection, it's worth it. You just never know when it could happen. I'm hoping it will lead to more research and development of more products like it. I've seen two SX crashes so far this season that could have been really bad - DV's in Phoenix was just inches from being devastating and the Gosselaar/Davalos incident. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but Davalos' head tucked under him when he hit the ground after the hit on Gosselaar. Those are just two that I can think of at the moment. I know most pros are extremely picky about every little thing that changes the feel they're used to but I really would like to see some of the top guys take the initiative with this. Michael Sleeter has a lot of respect from a lot of people for breaking the ice. Hopefully more will follow. I have even more respect for David Bailey after watching that.
I was very moved by this video and kudos for DB having the balls to step up and call out our top pros to become advocates in safety. I myself will try to become a safety nazi with the kids and people in mx that I'm involved with but on a larger scale, until it becomes mandatory like the helmet, we need RC, JS, CR, DV, etc etc to step and start wearing chest protectors and or the neck rolls or braces. It isn't about them, but the thousands of kids out there watching them that think they don't need it because the pros don't wear em.

Thanks GuyB, for the kickass video.

Doug Forstner
justme
2/10/2007 8:09am
mpy wrote:
PD441 wrote:
I have to agree with DB when he said he's not sure if it's THE answer but it is definitely a step in the right direction...
Digger437 wrote:
I was very moved by this video and kudos for DB having the balls to step up and call out our top pros to become advocates...
I was very moved by this video and kudos for DB having the balls to step up and call out our top pros to become advocates in safety. I myself will try to become a safety nazi with the kids and people in mx that I'm involved with but on a larger scale, until it becomes mandatory like the helmet, we need RC, JS, CR, DV, etc etc to step and start wearing chest protectors and or the neck rolls or braces. It isn't about them, but the thousands of kids out there watching them that think they don't need it because the pros don't wear em.

Thanks GuyB, for the kickass video.

Doug Forstner
I do think that all track promoters/owners should think about linking this to their web site if possible. A very powerful message for sure.
AZ450Rider
2/10/2007 8:37am
I think it's time professionals take the extra steps to protect themselves. You see it in the professional levels of many sports...guys wearing minimal equipment or not wearing equipment the way it was designed to be worn. Whether or not they like it, professional athletes set an example for the younger generations aspiring to perform at that level. Unfortunately the kids see their favorite athletes wearing (or not wearing) certain gear and they want to emulate that.

Beyond that, SX riders should be considering their own safety above and beyond style and sometimes even comfort. We are hearing more and more about SX only contracts to prolong the careers of top riders. Why not add more safety to what they are doing to give them an even greater chance to remain in the sport longer? As David Bailey stated, four strokes came in and took over. There had to be an adjustment period in switching from the 2 stroke bikes, so why not an adjustment period for getting comfortable with additional safety gear?

I think that was $.04, so I'll step off the soapbox now.
2/10/2007 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
WOW ... David - you were my star in the 80's when I started racing in Saskatchewan, Canada and after all these years, after I left the sport to become an Airforce pilot and then enter the aerospace business world only to come full circle back to mx through my four boys, you are again shining brightly in my sky.

As the owner of WMM Partners Ltd. Canada (Leatt-Brace Canada) and the exclusive distributor of the Leatt-Brace in this country (www.leatt-brace.ca), the video more then choked me up. Over a year ago my four boys started racing and before they did I went on a global search for neck protection where I met with Chris Leatt. I wanted to insure that every motocross rider out there put one of these on just like they do a helmet. We even took on the distribution before we had the price list and production costs ... this was not about business this was about safety and appropriately outfitting our kids and others just like them.

I am amazed with David's video and thank God for his initiative. One of our racers, Derek Zaplotinsky, on our race team "CHUNK Racing" in Alberta was paralyzed on a poorly designed track last year after another mxer landed on him while executing a triple that should have been banned. My heart breaks each time I witness this and it makes me feel terrible that we, as adults and as knowledgeable individuals, cannot prevent it.

David has ran onto the dance floor kicking his legs and waving his arms - you don't need to walk to do this when you are a true Hero. Although a poor dancer, I'm kick’n up my heals to the music that will sooth our sport. Let’s put a stop to the bs with dangerous tracks, lets put a stop to promoting the dangerous aspects of our sport by pushing kids beyond their limits, and lets get the ambassadors that we all respect - and our kids look up to - to realize their responsibility in the roles they have earned and encourage them to set the examples we so desperately need in the sport we love.

Thank you David from my family and God Bless you for your initiative and the humanity you choose to display while you shine in the sky of so many sets of wondering eyes. I never had the chance to line up with you on the start line in the 80’s but know that I am handlebar to handlebar with you on this one and I am not letting off.
ushybeggi77
2/11/2007 12:54pm
WOW -- Guys David really put it to us.

IF you felt what I felt - I guess your are lookIing for a better neck brace !

It's funny I have had an EVS neck brace for two years now and I always felt that this

thing is not good enough !

T H A N K D A V I D --- The guy cares !
sc961
2/11/2007 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
WOW -- Guys David really put it to us. IF you felt what I felt - I guess your are lookIing for a better neck brace...
WOW -- Guys David really put it to us.

IF you felt what I felt - I guess your are lookIing for a better neck brace !

It's funny I have had an EVS neck brace for two years now and I always felt that this

thing is not good enough !

T H A N K D A V I D --- The guy cares !
That was a powerful message from one of the icons in our sport.

I hope that one or more of the riders he "called out", will step up to the plate and start wearing one of these.

Until that happens, it's unlikely we will see the needed changed with safety equipment on a wide scale. If we continue to see our hero's not wearing so much as a chest protector, the masses will think "wrongly" that it's OK for them to do the same.
backintheday
2/12/2007 8:34am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
I think David stands taller now than ever before...everybody thinks that "it won't happen to them" ...how many of us have spent two, three, four, or more times the cost of one of these braces to get our bikes to go faster or handle better...only to get rid of the bike the next year...without even thinking about personal health and longevity? Great Job, David!
Nealio
2/13/2007 11:52am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
I think David stands taller now than ever before...everybody thinks that "it won't happen to them" ...how many of us have spent two, three, four, or...
I think David stands taller now than ever before...everybody thinks that "it won't happen to them" ...how many of us have spent two, three, four, or more times the cost of one of these braces to get our bikes to go faster or handle better...only to get rid of the bike the next year...without even thinking about personal health and longevity? Great Job, David!
I don't see how you can argue with anything he says or even argue that wearing safety gear is bad in any way. I just hope that they start coming out with some real safety gear. Besides Leatt you have RXR and Riding Armor. All the rest of the "chest protectors" are NOT safety equipment and are complete junk (except for what they were made for, which is deflecting roost).
Its 2007 and finally we are going to get an advancement on the equipment that was designed in the early 1980s.
- Nealio

Post a reply to: Article Discussion: A Message From David Bailey

The Latest