Arnaud Tonus and his amazing development

Motofinne
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 4:08pm
I had to start a thread about this guy. 3 straight podiums and in Russia he gave Gajser, one of the best (if not the best) hard pack rider there is everything he got in the second moto.

It's so cool to see a guy go from the bottom of the barrel last year when he was on the sideline with injuries all season long to challenging for GP wins!

|
jeffro503
6/10/2019 12:55pm
It's been awesome seeing him come into his own in the 450 class! Such a badass rider and seems like a really cool dude. I couldn't believe how far he ended up pushing Gasjer on that sketchy track. I just hope he stays healthy , because you can sure tell his confidence is way up.
jenssog
6/10/2019 1:01pm
I've been wanting to post a thread for a while now. So great to see him bouncing back after seeing how his US adventure ended.

I hope he can keep this momentum going.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/10/2019 1:16pm
Good thing someone started one... I was going to when I got home from work tonight.

His step up in performance over the last 3 races has been phenomenal. It's not just a few spots, he's shot up the ladder to now running in the top 3 consistently. I sincerely hope it continues and he gets a moto or even an overall soon.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
6/10/2019 1:17pm
Yeah it's crazy!
Man I'm so glad he had that deal with Wilvo for 2019. Not many teams would have taken him after missing another year with injury, if any.

He's been good at round 4 already, went 4-4 and was just short of landing on the podium.
He's now only 25 points behind 3rd in the standings.

I hope he wins one this season. His best chances are probably Teutschenthal and Loket.
Better sooner than later because no one knows how good Herlings will be in a couple of weeks.

The Shop

ledger
6/10/2019 1:19pm
He's coming on strong and seems to get faster every week.
ayearinmx
6/10/2019 1:31pm
probably the "nicest guy" podium in recent memory.....all three are true gents and fully deserve the success they have been getting

i don't think Gajser has had the credit his recent performances have deserved (other from BobbyM)... winning the last 6 motos, and 8 of the last 10..... that is some level of performance

also cool to see Seewer get on the box in the MXGP class, especially with fellow Swiss rider Tonus (first time ever for 2 Swiss). Tonus has had to deal with a lot of tough luck recently and it was a bit of a surprise he was able to keep his ride for this year so to see him reward that faith with these results is awesome and it's great for him and the team.

Yamaha certainly have some tough decisions to make..... all 4 riders contracts are up and only 2 spots are available!
J2s
6/10/2019 1:38pm
Looks like they have found something on them yams in the last few races with all the riders going well
Natester551v
6/10/2019 1:42pm
Cool to see him do well...he was never healthy in the US, but he has such a smooth riding style.
philG
6/10/2019 4:02pm
J2s wrote:
Looks like they have found something on them yams in the last few races with all the riders going well
They have found 3 hardpack GP's on the bounce.. Portugal , France and Russia, have all been less ripped than usual due to weather threats.. Portugal had rain in the week previous , so they didnt rip it, France had a lot of rain on the Friday, and again, they left it sealed, and Russia was scheduled for a drenching saturday that didnt come. Tonus, Seewer, Paulin and Febvre all grew up racing tracks like this.

This week its Kegums , which has not been as sandy as it the past , apart from the part by pit lane, be interesting to see how they go.

And i think Tonus saw his opportunity for a win this week, and snatched at it a bit, aided by Gajser looking across and moving over on the landing of a jump, which i though was a bit naughty.. Tonus took it with good spirit , and said he tucked the front, but honestly, i think that was his best shot in a long time. He certainly seems to be on it fitness wise , i really wish he had stayed in Europe, and gone 450, he could have been a real threat .

Paulin has to look to up his game , thats for certain
6/10/2019 5:17pm
There seems to be a trend in Europe of 250 guys who may not have been as fast as the ama fast guys becoming better 450 riders. It’s got to be a riding technique thing.
tek14
6/10/2019 10:25pm
Its great to see him up to speed again. He was up there with Herlings on 250 before all injuries and trip to US.
themrtoad
6/11/2019 1:26am
ayearinmx wrote:
probably the "nicest guy" podium in recent memory.....all three are true gents and fully deserve the success they have been getting i don't think Gajser has...
probably the "nicest guy" podium in recent memory.....all three are true gents and fully deserve the success they have been getting

i don't think Gajser has had the credit his recent performances have deserved (other from BobbyM)... winning the last 6 motos, and 8 of the last 10..... that is some level of performance

also cool to see Seewer get on the box in the MXGP class, especially with fellow Swiss rider Tonus (first time ever for 2 Swiss). Tonus has had to deal with a lot of tough luck recently and it was a bit of a surprise he was able to keep his ride for this year so to see him reward that faith with these results is awesome and it's great for him and the team.

Yamaha certainly have some tough decisions to make..... all 4 riders contracts are up and only 2 spots are available!
I read that as Rinaldi will leave and Wilvo will take over the as the official Yamaha team i MXGP? Can you share any more info? I'm really curious but I understand it's a bit early for Silly season still.

Do you know if JM Racing will go yellow next year? Will Ice One handle the Husqvarna MX2 effort as well as MXGP next year?

Can you see BOS being around next year?

Hate to see rides go away...
JB479
6/11/2019 1:39am
How good is his style. Amazing to watch. Keeps his feet on the pegs alot in turns and just does alot of litte technical things that people dont really notice.
ayearinmx
6/11/2019 2:24am
themrtoad wrote:
I read that as Rinaldi will leave and Wilvo will take over the as the official Yamaha team i MXGP? Can you share any more info...
I read that as Rinaldi will leave and Wilvo will take over the as the official Yamaha team i MXGP? Can you share any more info? I'm really curious but I understand it's a bit early for Silly season still.

Do you know if JM Racing will go yellow next year? Will Ice One handle the Husqvarna MX2 effort as well as MXGP next year?

Can you see BOS being around next year?

Hate to see rides go away...
Yea, that is basically the situation with Yamaha..... Rinaldi will be more into tuning, so Wilvo will become factory
roninho
6/11/2019 2:34am
Great performance by Tonus obviously.
But not sure amazing development is the word i would use. Imo it's not him developing but more an example of a good rider staying injury free for a while giving him the time to get his confidence & stamina up to the level to perform.
swtwtwtw
6/11/2019 3:25am
Tonus has been racing really well. I think Gasjer err’ed by moving over on him that second moto. I will be looking for Tonus and others to be more aggressive against him in future motos.
6/11/2019 4:08am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Tonus has been racing really well. I think Gasjer err’ed by moving over on him that second moto. I will be looking for Tonus and others...
Tonus has been racing really well. I think Gasjer err’ed by moving over on him that second moto. I will be looking for Tonus and others to be more aggressive against him in future motos.
Initially I though Gajser moved over on him but when they showed the replay, he protected his line & they actually didn’t touch.
Motofinne
6/18/2019 12:35pm
4 in a row. 3rd overall but tied on points for the win. On a track that isn't his speciality.
jgmxdad251
6/18/2019 2:31pm
He’s really looking fast, awesome to see. He showed signs last year and has been hammering the gas this year.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3875th
6/18/2019 3:22pm
Always wanted to see him do well in the US, unfortunately it never really happened. Amazingly smooth style.

bowl
6/18/2019 3:38pm
Always had the talent...when osborne and him were teamates, he was regulay a touch faster.
Good to see both guys doing so well.
MXMattii
6/18/2019 4:08pm
Always wanted to see him do well in the US, unfortunately it never really happened. Amazingly smooth style. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/5efa64728e0678a77f0217ad06497e75.jpg[/img]
Always wanted to see him do well in the US, unfortunately it never really happened. Amazingly smooth style.

He got three pretty good supercross races, all top tens, and then he got that virus that didn't do him any favors. If he didn't got that virus I guess he could've got the results we're now seeing from Dylan Ferrandis. I remember me a picture from Arnaud lying down in a hospital bed with all machines at his body and IV's in his arm because he was drained after that that Supercross in Atlanta.

That virus took him out for almost 12 months, he raced Washougal but then relapsed into his illness. If he could race two full seasons we would've had a totally different story. Till today this story makes me a bit sad. Someone should've gave him one extra year to show what he got in him.

Post a reply to: Arnaud Tonus and his amazing development

The Latest