Arm pump, need help!

bencurrie17
So I started riding about 5 years ago. I started out riding awesome improving every week, the pic is from just 3 months after starting riding and I was about to move up to C class but I broke my arm. I had surgery on it and had a plate and 8 screws put in.

When I started riding again I was fine for a couple weeks and then started getting crazy arm pump, so much that I couldn't hold on after 3 laps. And for the next 4 years I stayed slow as hell because of my arm pump, I later got a yz250 and It got wayyy worse. Then my yz blew up and I hung up the boots until just recently I got the urge to ride so I'm getting another bike and I'm terrified of getting arm pump again.

It happens in both arms so it's not because of the surgery. I'm thinking it's from holding on too tight. So my question is how tight should I hold on. I don't want to feel like the bars will go wild over any bump from not holding on tight enough but I also don't want arm pump. I'm also 6'5 if that info is any helpful lol thanks in advance.

|
2/22/2017 2:16am
Everyone will give you different answers, I always found it was when I was riding to tight and not relaxed (easier said than done I know). Also technique, gripping with your knees where possible. Hydration and diet pre and during the day also play a role.
If there was a straight forward answer it wouldn't be problem
Motofinne
2/22/2017 2:29am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 6:07am
Technique has a lot to do with it like Andy_Greenney mentioned.

Try to ride as much as possible. Ride 20 minute motos with 70% of your max pace, slow down if you feel like you start tightening up. And take a new grip of the bar mid air if you feel like you pump up.

I had a longer break a few months ago and i got horrible arm pump when i got back on the bike one month ago. The tracks here are frozen so they are really smooth and despite that i got armpump like i never had before. I was able to ride 3 laps and after that i could not move my fingers or hands. But i kept riding and one week i was at the track 4 times and now it's gone.
Acidreamer
2/22/2017 2:49am
Try some wrist braces. Its possible the arm fracture made you weak in some area of your arm and is causing you to overcompensate with tight grip. A brace might help add some stability and allow you to grip more loosely. Ive also found standing up in the attack position good for keeping your weight on your feet. Sitting puts more stress on the hands from my experience

The Shop

305FC250
2/22/2017 3:50am
I broke my right wrist and left thumb (two surgeries for the thumb) 2 months after I started riding. I had arm pump issues already beforehand, which I attributed to holding on too tight, lack of seat time/experience, fitness, ect. Fast-forward 2 months later when I get back on the bike and the arm pump was worse than before and has been worse ever since with no improvement despite improvement in my technique and overall speed, though I can't keep it up for more than two or three 2 minute laps before the arm pump starts getting really bad. So I have the same problem as you. I've also wondered what the correct amount of grip force is on the bars. I struggle to find a happy medium between holding on tight enough to feel in control (resulting in arm pump) or being too loose to where I feel the front end can get out of control easily on bumps or jump landings.
aees
2/22/2017 6:18am
In my experience, things causing arm pump:

1. Poor cardio physics
2. Handlebar to much forward/up
3. Holding on to tightly
4. To stiff suspension
5. Other medical condition

Make sure you use all your suspension travel (+-10-15mm on fork) and that you have your handlebar in reasonably neutral position (for example as an extension of fork angle or slightly less forward). If both of those things are ok, you should improve cardiovascular capacity and riding technique. If no improvement after 4-8 weeks, then maybe you have a medical issue (like from broke bones or similar)
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/22/2017 6:42am
There's a lot that contributes to it. Make sure you get enough sleep before you ride, bar position is another big one, holding on too tight, diet, cardio, suspension set up, your head etc. I have days where I can ride 110% and not get arm pump and other days where I get it after 1/2 a lap. Recently I have been massaging my forearms and stretching before I go out to ride. It relaxes my arms and helps me stay loose. I also take a lap or two to check out the track and slowly start building up to speed from there. The other thing I've started doing is short fast sprints as fast as I can go. I'll back off for a lap or two then go for it again. That has helped me a lot.

Work on staying relaxed/loose. More and more seat time will help with being comfortable and relaxed on the bike. Don't try to force things. Let the bike do most of the work.
Turbojez
2/22/2017 6:56am
305FC250 wrote:
I broke my right wrist and left thumb (two surgeries for the thumb) 2 months after I started riding. I had arm pump issues already beforehand...
I broke my right wrist and left thumb (two surgeries for the thumb) 2 months after I started riding. I had arm pump issues already beforehand, which I attributed to holding on too tight, lack of seat time/experience, fitness, ect. Fast-forward 2 months later when I get back on the bike and the arm pump was worse than before and has been worse ever since with no improvement despite improvement in my technique and overall speed, though I can't keep it up for more than two or three 2 minute laps before the arm pump starts getting really bad. So I have the same problem as you. I've also wondered what the correct amount of grip force is on the bars. I struggle to find a happy medium between holding on tight enough to feel in control (resulting in arm pump) or being too loose to where I feel the front end can get out of control easily on bumps or jump landings.
Try tightening up the steering stem nut!
slipdog
2/22/2017 7:56am
Water... Too much caffeine, sugar and other crap your body doesn't need and not enough water!

^^Truth
Camp332
2/22/2017 8:24am
slipdog wrote:
Water... Too much caffeine, sugar and other crap your body doesn't need and not enough water!

^^Truth
Slip forgot - "not enough protein"
Camp332
2/22/2017 12:12pm
^Pancakee knows the deal Bro.
2/22/2017 12:29pm
1) cardio training is huge; as is core and strength training. The stronger your core, the better you'll be able to grip the bike with your legs and knees for longer periods.
2) Check all of your positions; bars, pegs, GRIPS (too hard?), static suspension settings (sag, preload, etc.) and learn to get your clickers dialed in.
3) Don't always try to ride the smooth tracks; go on a day you know it's roughed up and force yourself to stand except for corners where necessary. Will again help build that cardio and core strength.

I struggled for years with it; only recently learned how to get my cardio conditioning right again and learn to ride the bike with my legs and knees. I still get it once in a while, but have learned to control my breathing and last HS I rode, after 45 minutes, it went away.
cd0583
2/22/2017 12:33pm
diet is 80% IMO...Personally, cutting back on meats except fish and a few birds has helped me..
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
2/22/2017 1:19pm
Apparently bananas are really helpful. IDK because I really don't like bananas, so I never tried it.
Titan1
2/22/2017 1:27pm
You should hold yourself on the bike with your legs...so you only need to grip the bars tight enough to steer (meaning, not very tight).

Breathing is huge for arm pump...you need to take long deep breaths the entire time you are riding. You'd be surprised how often you are likely holding your breath when you ride. Focus on your breathing...and train yourself to do it (deep breathes) even when you are focused on other things (it takes time and practice).

Its more than just how tight you grip the bars that can cause arm pump...make sure your hands, arms (elbows), and shoulders are all "lose".

Could you ride around the block all day and not get arm pump? You could, right? What's the difference between doing that, and trying to go fast on the track? You aren't breathing, and you aren't relaxed.
LappedU
2/22/2017 1:42pm
A lot has to do with confidence if your riding a track and some of the obstacle scare you or are intimidated by whoops or a big double, charging the corners and riding over your head you will pump up like crazy, that's why Titan says you could ride around the block all day without arm pump, cause there is no obstacles to throw you on your ass!
TheWeapon
Fantasy
68th
2/22/2017 3:38pm
Agree with a lot of the posts here - particularly surrounding over-gripping. Having a stronger core, gripping the bike with your knees etc really helps. Might be worth doing a riding school - even at A grade level, getting feedback from good trainers on your technique really valuable.

The other thing to look at is grips / gloves. I have big hands, but made the mistake of getting grips that were too thick (including the tape I put under them), which made me get pumped faster.

But like others said, the main thing is to warm up properly, RELAX and be comfortable. I do a lot of rock climbing, and the same thing happens - get scared and you over grip the holds, even on something way below your peak grade, then you will pump out and struggle.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/22/2017 4:47pm
Titan1 wrote:
You should hold yourself on the bike with your legs...so you only need to grip the bars tight enough to steer (meaning, not very tight). Breathing...
You should hold yourself on the bike with your legs...so you only need to grip the bars tight enough to steer (meaning, not very tight).

Breathing is huge for arm pump...you need to take long deep breaths the entire time you are riding. You'd be surprised how often you are likely holding your breath when you ride. Focus on your breathing...and train yourself to do it (deep breathes) even when you are focused on other things (it takes time and practice).

Its more than just how tight you grip the bars that can cause arm pump...make sure your hands, arms (elbows), and shoulders are all "lose".

Could you ride around the block all day and not get arm pump? You could, right? What's the difference between doing that, and trying to go fast on the track? You aren't breathing, and you aren't relaxed.
^^^This

Post a reply to: Arm pump, need help!

The Latest