Arm Pump Solution?

MXTompkins44
1/12/2022 8:24am
Armpump is a pain in the ass! IMO, it's a sign that you're not riding in the proper position or at least not one that you're comfortable in, just like body pain intuitively tells you something is wrong. The basic fundamentals to good riding position is to keep your head over the cross bar pad or even slightly in front of it. The trick is you need to keep you lower body in line with the footpeg or behind it so that you're in balance and one with the bike, so this way your head is weighting the front end and your lower body is providing weight to the rear end. You will find most average riders and weekend warriors position themselves too far back because they think they're over the front end but they're not so it's important to feel the correct position. The imbalance created from your head being too far back creates the need to use your arms more than your legs. The Pros even get armpump from time to time and they need to revisit the fundamentals. Proper posture, breathing, eating, how much you ride and fitness all come into play, but you can be the most fit rider on the track but with armpump it doesn't matter. There isn't a simple answer on the topic, but taking pressure off your arms is most logically way to eliminate or delay the onset of armpump.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/12/2022 8:32am
Handlebar/grip setup made the biggest difference for me. I like soft, large-diameter grips (Renthal full waffle or Tag Cradles are my favorite,) and a relatively flat bar bend with a neutral adjustment. I line up the crossbar with the clamp bar so they point in a straight line down the fork tubes. Obviously, everyone's setup will be different, but I've found that not having a death grip on the bars really helps.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/12/2022 11:33am
How do yall find these threads from years ago to bump them.
Enter search term, click search.

Click Filter Results, then make selections to narrow down results, click apply filter, results appear.
aees
1/12/2022 2:29pm
Armpump is a pain in the ass! IMO, it's a sign that you're not riding in the proper position or at least not one that you're...
Armpump is a pain in the ass! IMO, it's a sign that you're not riding in the proper position or at least not one that you're comfortable in, just like body pain intuitively tells you something is wrong. The basic fundamentals to good riding position is to keep your head over the cross bar pad or even slightly in front of it. The trick is you need to keep you lower body in line with the footpeg or behind it so that you're in balance and one with the bike, so this way your head is weighting the front end and your lower body is providing weight to the rear end. You will find most average riders and weekend warriors position themselves too far back because they think they're over the front end but they're not so it's important to feel the correct position. The imbalance created from your head being too far back creates the need to use your arms more than your legs. The Pros even get armpump from time to time and they need to revisit the fundamentals. Proper posture, breathing, eating, how much you ride and fitness all come into play, but you can be the most fit rider on the track but with armpump it doesn't matter. There isn't a simple answer on the topic, but taking pressure off your arms is most logically way to eliminate or delay the onset of armpump.
Completely disagree it has always do do with improper riding position.

In my case it was purely genetics and anatomy. Doctor said he understood i have had huge issues because the muscle just poured out when he did the cut of the fascia. It was way to tight for the muscle.

Problem gone directly 2 weeks after surgery when I rode again.

No riding position was ever going to fix my issue.
coastie44
1/14/2022 1:11pm
Armpump is a pain in the ass! IMO, it's a sign that you're not riding in the proper position or at least not one that you're...
aees wrote:
Completely disagree it has always do do with improper riding position. In my case it was purely genetics and anatomy. Doctor said he understood i have...
Completely disagree it has always do do with improper riding position.

In my case it was purely genetics and anatomy. Doctor said he understood i have had huge issues because the muscle just poured out when he did the cut of the fascia. It was way to tight for the muscle.

Problem gone directly 2 weeks after surgery when I rode again.

No riding position was ever going to fix my issue.
I agree that riding position has little to do with it. It could be a secondary or contributing issue, just like too big or too small of grips or too tight of gloves. For me I get arm pump badly if I don't ride often. But I found that if I row two or three times a week on my concept 2 rower, and get at least one 45 minute run in, I am good to go no matter how much riding I am doing.
MX558
1/15/2022 7:07pm
Buy a rowing machine , it's the best training for moto
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
1/15/2022 10:47pm
Pretend you’re squeezing a pencil between your shoulder blades and then ride a few laps without dropping the imaginary pencil.

It sounds stupid, but engaging your scapula moves the load from your arms into the stronger muscles of your chest, back and core. The also helps stabilize the thoracic spine so you don’t end up with a kyphotic posture up top and will help you maintain a neutral posture in your lower back and pelvis. Just try it for two laps and see if you feel a difference.
balzercrf325
7/25/2023 10:06am
aees wrote:
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions. My armpump disappeared right...
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions.

My armpump disappeared right after surgery of both arms. Doctor doin the surgery said the muscles poured out of the muscle sack as soon as he sliced it open. No chance to fix that with riding style, purely genetics.

If you get armpump 10-25min into a race, it is stamina and riding style that is the issue. If you get it after 2-3 corners, it is not.

I get arm pump after 3-4 corners. Some say nerves some don't. I'm a ex local A rider and I never suffered from arm pump. Took 14yrs off and just started again. At 47 still think I can ride at that level except now my vision is screwed as well. I have appt soon for Dr about 4 arms. 

7/25/2023 10:20am
aees wrote:
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions. My armpump disappeared right...
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions.

My armpump disappeared right after surgery of both arms. Doctor doin the surgery said the muscles poured out of the muscle sack as soon as he sliced it open. No chance to fix that with riding style, purely genetics.

If you get armpump 10-25min into a race, it is stamina and riding style that is the issue. If you get it after 2-3 corners, it is not.
I get arm pump after 3-4 corners. Some say nerves some don't. I'm a ex local A rider and I never suffered from arm pump. Took...

I get arm pump after 3-4 corners. Some say nerves some don't. I'm a ex local A rider and I never suffered from arm pump. Took 14yrs off and just started again. At 47 still think I can ride at that level except now my vision is screwed as well. I have appt soon for Dr about 4 arms. 

Sounds more like your just outta shape to me. 

7/25/2023 10:25am

McGinley Clinic.  In and out the same day.  Very little down time.   

balzercrf325
7/25/2023 11:34am

Lol yea not for 11,000 out of pocket and you may have to go back for a touch up because it may come back. No thanx. I've called and inquired. Insurance does not cover. Plus travel expenses to get there. 

7/25/2023 11:37am

Lol yea not for 11,000 out of pocket and you may have to go back for a touch up because it may come back. No thanx...

Lol yea not for 11,000 out of pocket and you may have to go back for a touch up because it may come back. No thanx. I've called and inquired. Insurance does not cover. Plus travel expenses to get there. 

Lol.   Wow thats weird was just there a week ago and it was well under half of that and my insurance didn't cover it.  

balzercrf325
7/25/2023 11:37am
aees wrote:

I get arm pump after 3-4 corners. Some say nerves some don't. I'm a ex local A rider and I never suffered from arm pump. Took...

Sounds more like your just outta shape to me. 

I mean riding shape maybe,,, so after I quite racing I then took up lifting weights. I was going 5 days a week. Doing cardio 3 days a long with weight training. I haven't been working out to that extent still going 3 times a week. Mainly just for cycling. 

balzercrf325
7/25/2023 11:39am

Lol yea not for 11,000 out of pocket and you may have to go back for a touch up because it may come back. No thanx...

Lol.   Wow thats weird was just there a week ago and it was well under half of that and my insurance didn't cover it.  

I wish I still had the quote they sent me. I was in such awww I threw it. I spoke with Bret. I still wouldn't spend half that. 

mvd61
7/25/2023 2:20pm

Check out @offroadperformancecoach he's got a bunch of content on this.

Coach529
7/25/2023 2:51pm

I think the root cause is different for everybody.

I have personally struggled damn near my whole life with it. This winter after working with Troll Train this winter, I started riding this spring and no arm pump. High Intensity Intervals. 

Powermoves
7/25/2023 6:22pm

Also have done two rounds with Dr. Mcginley. Very pleased with the results. Was not quoted 11k. That's simply not factual. 

balzercrf325
7/27/2023 5:34am

Powermoves wrote:

Also have done two rounds with Dr. Mcginley. Very pleased with the results. Was not quoted 11k. That's simply not factual. 

If I wasn't in aweee at the amount I would prove to u with the quote I was sent. And it was 6-7 for the 1st round ,, I was told that most will need a 2nd round of treatment and that was approximately 3-4. Plus the cost of any additional procedures but x rays MRI can get covered by insurance. And then u have air fare and hotel . So in my math world ,, 4+7 is 11 that would be doing 2 sessions. And in fact it would be more because u have air fare, car rental, food expenses, and then the insurance deductible if even covered. So it's very factual. Just not in your world because your drinking the Kool aide

7/27/2023 5:44am

Powermoves wrote:

If I wasn't in aweee at the amount I would prove to u with the quote I was sent. And it was 6-7 for the 1st...

If I wasn't in aweee at the amount I would prove to u with the quote I was sent. And it was 6-7 for the 1st round ,, I was told that most will need a 2nd round of treatment and that was approximately 3-4. Plus the cost of any additional procedures but x rays MRI can get covered by insurance. And then u have air fare and hotel . So in my math world ,, 4+7 is 11 that would be doing 2 sessions. And in fact it would be more because u have air fare, car rental, food expenses, and then the insurance deductible if even covered. So it's very factual. Just not in your world because your drinking the Kool aide

Your funny....

Deja New
7/27/2023 6:02am

I get chronic pump to since I was a kid so I use these when just watching tv and have had massive improvements.

have more strength to hold on for longer.

IMG 5971.jpeg?VersionId=X5GL7Jj5RjS9d29k0rEuk

OwenJakes
7/27/2023 11:05am
Coach529 wrote:
I think the root cause is different for everybody. I have personally struggled damn near my whole life with it. This winter after working with Troll...

I have personally struggled damn near my whole life with it. This winter after working with Troll Train this winter, I started riding this spring and no arm pump. High Intensity Intervals. 

When you say high intensity intervals, what does that mean? I'm sure I could google it but it's a catch all term now so I want to know what you're doing that you perceive has helped you alot. thanks!

Coach529
7/27/2023 12:15pm
Coach529 wrote:
I think the root cause is different for everybody. I have personally struggled damn near my whole life with it. This winter after working with Troll...

OwenJakes wrote:
When you say high intensity intervals, what does that mean? I'm sure I could google it but it's a catch all term now so I want...

When you say high intensity intervals, what does that mean? I'm sure I could google it but it's a catch all term now so I want to know what you're doing that you perceive has helped you alot. thanks!

This is what is on my schedule this week for intervals:

-15 minute warm up nice and easy (RPE (rate of perceived exertion) 2-4 (out of 10))

-8x40 seconds at an RPE of 10 or max effort, with 20 seconds easy moving in between

-Take 4 minutes of easy moving after your last 40 second interval into another set of:

-8x40 seconds at an RPE of 10 or max effort, with 20 seconds easy moving in between

-10 minute cool down nice and easy

15 minute warm up nice and easy

7x2 minutes at an RPE of 7-8 or 85-90% of your max heart rate with 2 minutes easy moving in between each interval. If you feel good, go all in on the last interval!

15 minute cool down nice and easy

I do most of my intervals on Spin Bike or a Concept 2 rower.

OwenJakes
7/27/2023 1:15pm
Coach529 wrote:

OwenJakes wrote:
When you say high intensity intervals, what does that mean? I'm sure I could google it but it's a catch all term now so I want...

Coach529 wrote:
This is what is on my schedule this week for intervals: -15 minute warm up nice and easy (RPE (rate of perceived exertion) 2-4 (out of...

-15 minute warm up nice and easy (RPE (rate of perceived exertion) 2-4 (out of 10))

-Take 4 minutes of easy moving after your last 40 second interval into another set of:

7x2 minutes at an RPE of 7-8 or 85-90% of your max heart rate with 2 minutes easy moving in between each interval. If you feel good, go all in on the last interval!

Sweet, that sheds some light on my thoughts. So, a person could do this on the pavement or trail as long as you have a time keeping device? I love running, next would be the rower as well.

Coach529
7/27/2023 1:50pm
OwenJakes wrote:

Coach529 wrote:
This is what is on my schedule this week for intervals: -15 minute warm up nice and easy (RPE (rate of perceived exertion) 2-4 (out of...

OwenJakes wrote:
Sweet, that sheds some light on my thoughts. So, a person could do this on the pavement or trail as long as you have a time...

Sweet, that sheds some light on my thoughts. So, a person could do this on the pavement or trail as long as you have a time keeping device? I love running, next would be the rower as well.

Yes. I have a cheaper Garmin Watch and I can program the workout into it and it works great.

Post a reply to: Arm Pump Solution?

The Latest