Arm Pump Solution?

Edited Date/Time 1/12/2022 2:29pm
I have always struggled with really bad armpump & occasionally sore hands whilst riding hard pack. I just thought it was something i had to live with. A few of you guys on here recommended the Neken SFS Top Clamp. Im not sure who you all are but thank you so much for the recommendation. I now couldnt do without it. Just wish it was available 15 years ago when i was in my prime! 🤦🏻‍♂️

The guys at gatedrop were kind enough to post my review

https://gatedrop.com/tested-neken-sfs-arm-pump-solution/#.X34DUiR4XDs

Heres also Michael Lyndsay’s review here on vital

https://m.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Triple-Clamps,13/Neken/SFS-Triple,1…

Ps, are you still Running this Michael?
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/7/2020 11:33am
Stretching and Midol Complete are all I need
MZ193
10/7/2020 11:42am
You get arm pump because you're riding tight/riding with your arms. You need to ride on the balls of your feet and move the bike with the lower part of your body.
No need to use flexbars, neken fsf clamps or that stuff.
You may last half lap longer but that's not going to make you survive 30+2 motos.
Change my mind
10/7/2020 11:56am
MZ193 wrote:
You get arm pump because you're riding tight/riding with your arms. You need to ride on the balls of your feet and move the bike with...
You get arm pump because you're riding tight/riding with your arms. You need to ride on the balls of your feet and move the bike with the lower part of your body.
You may last half lap longer but that's not going to make you survive 30+2 motos.
Change my mind
If its as easy as you say how come our top pros still get armpump? How many times have we heard tomac said he rode tight? 🤔

For me, this solved my problem. & if it helps someone else out then im happy. If your perfect style lets you ride armpump free & saves you buying this kinda stuff then im happy for you 😁
MZ193
10/7/2020 12:41pm
MZ193 wrote:
You get arm pump because you're riding tight/riding with your arms. You need to ride on the balls of your feet and move the bike with...
Change my mind
If its as easy as you say how come our top pros still get armpump? How many times have we heard tomac said he rode tight...
If its as easy as you say how come our top pros still get armpump? How many times have we heard tomac said he rode tight? 🤔

For me, this solved my problem. & if it helps someone else out then im happy. If your perfect style lets you ride armpump free & saves you buying this kinda stuff then im happy for you 😁
I didn't say i have a perfect style, obviously A kit forks, spec tires, super plush shit helps avoiding arm pump, but the problem is still that most of us ride the bike with arms and not legs.

The Shop

Donkey Kong
10/7/2020 1:50pm
MZ193 wrote:
Change my mind
This is true but I've gone back to back with twinwalls and protaper evo bars and the protapers are so much more comfortable it's insane. Twinwalls to me are a torture device.
10/7/2020 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 1:55pm
Hello guys,

From my perspective arm pump its 95% related to bad riding technique...............arms must be relax, lower body must do much of the work to control the bike.

I also suffer from arm pump, especially in a new track or difficult terrain, if I´m not in my comfort zone I start to lose good technique and from there arm pump comes in a hurry.

Also ruts and mud make me get tight quite fast, but If a remember to stay relax and use good technique I can go for a long time without arm pump.

It is important that when you roll the throttle your chest go forward and use your legs to control the bike (easy to say but hard to do), if you accelerate and start to stretch your arm you are not going to last much without arm pump.

Also stay in good physical shape helps and practice time in your bike (riding time) its key.

My advice, lower your speed, use good technique, try to ride longer motos at easy pace and good form (forget about speed) and if you are feeling better about arm pump you can increase intensity/speed a little bit until you can go at good pace during the time that you want.

My two cents.

10/7/2020 2:29pm
Cardio and diet. Its also in your head, I can tell if im going to get armpump before i even ride that day or not.
brimx153
10/7/2020 3:05pm
Cardio and diet. Its also in your head, I can tell if im going to get armpump before i even ride that day or not.
X2 cardio and diet . Training at Low heart rate s for long periods of time . Cure s arm pump
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
10/7/2020 3:33pm
Ski erg, row machine, squad and cable exercises. No arm pump for me. Stock suspenders, stock bars, and 50 minute races.
rohr397
10/7/2020 3:45pm
MZ193 wrote:
Change my mind
I have to especially agree with the comment on Flexx bars. I used them to compensate for a wrist injury and felt that I was actually more prone to getting arm pump. Since switching to a more rigid setup - Precision Shock n Vibe clamp with a Mobius brace for the wrist - I feel better.

I do think having the correct ergos makes a difference, though. It's less about adding flex and absorption and more about making it easier to relax and grip with the correct parts of your body. There's no universal setup for that, just what works for you.

Also, as others have mentioned, exercise and diet are critical. Cardio will help with oxygen, blood flow, and heart rate. Strength training (lots of legs!) will keep you from getting tired and resorting to poor technique to hang on.

Finally, there's the mental aspect of it. It's sort of the same mentality behind the phrase, "mind to muscle," that you hear in the gym. If you're focused on your legs, you'll use those muscles more. If you start thinking about your arms getting tired and sore, you'll end up using them more. Similarly, if you start letting nerves get in your head or you start thinking about the bike or bars being harsh or vibrating, you usually end up gripping tighter. It's good to learn to turn your focus away from those things to prevent locking up when you ride, and I've personally experienced times where I've hit a wall with arm pump or a cramped hand and mentally blocked it out and gotten it under control. You can train the mental side of things with any challenging/strenuous activity too, which is nice if you can only ride every now and then.
10/7/2020 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 4:02pm
If you’ve ever wondered how some former pros. Or really fast local A riders can just get on a bike and shred, they’re shredding from their legs and core.

Example: Mike Mcdade. Dude is scrawny. Can jump on any bike new/clapped/set up or not set up and just rip.

Let a guy like Mcdade ride your bike for three Laps. When it comes back to the stand the graphics are shredded. Legs and core. Legs and core is where your money is made.

Easier said run done. Once I get tired I go into shit grip mode and try to survive with all upper body it seems. I’d those neken clamps work maybe i should get some.
Dutch348
10/7/2020 9:07pm
Fasst Co Flexx bars. Really helped my arm pump, and I’ve had several surgeries and hardware in my arm.
10/7/2020 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 11:03pm
Couple things have made a big difference for me over the years, and only 1 of them costs money.

1: Better fitness
2: Tighter steering (sounds counter intuitive, but keep reading)
3: Squeezing with the legs and relax your grip on the bars
4: Good suspension setup

2 allows for 3. If you put your bike on the stand with both wheels off the ground a little, rock the bike back so the rear tire touches the ground, and the front end flops to one side, your steering stem nut is too loose. Tighten up the steering stem nut so that the front end doesn't flop to the side to the stops, even when you gently tap on the bars.

If your steering is too lose, you'll be fighting to keep the front end straight and in control, and this means your grip on the bars will be way too high and armpump will occur. With a tighter steering, you can relax your grip on the bars just enough to slow the onset of pumped up forearms. Have you ever heard riding coaches describe the feeling as "grabbing a doorknob"? It sounds silly at first, but once you have your setup dialed, your grip on the bars actually does feel as soft as turning a doorknob, maybe slightly tighter than that.

Suspension also plays a huge role. Again, if you are fighting to keep the bike in control, you'll be gripping the bars too much and armpump will occur. So get your suspension set up for your weight, skill, and type of riding you are doing.
aees
10/7/2020 11:25pm
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions.

My armpump disappeared right after surgery of both arms. Doctor doin the surgery said the muscles poured out of the muscle sack as soon as he sliced it open. No chance to fix that with riding style, purely genetics.

If you get armpump 10-25min into a race, it is stamina and riding style that is the issue. If you get it after 2-3 corners, it is not.
MZ193
10/8/2020 12:39am
aees wrote:
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions. My armpump disappeared right...
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions.

My armpump disappeared right after surgery of both arms. Doctor doin the surgery said the muscles poured out of the muscle sack as soon as he sliced it open. No chance to fix that with riding style, purely genetics.

If you get armpump 10-25min into a race, it is stamina and riding style that is the issue. If you get it after 2-3 corners, it is not.
Who the fuck gets armpump after 3 corners? Come on man...
aees
10/8/2020 1:32am
People with genetics that are not for endurance. Easier add fast muscle fibers for example.

Triathlon, runners, cycling and rowers it is common to so surgery on thigh or lower legs.

There is a reason certain people can run 10km at 45min with no training at all you know, or have testing HR of 45 training ones a week while other are at 65. It is called genetics.

I could survive a lap, but issues started already after 2-3 corners needing to clutch and brake at same time it is a bit bumpy. Helped if I ran ultra soft suspension but it was unrideable at the speed I'm at. Surgery changed it all, 2 weeks after and first ride it was all gone. Now it comes lightly at 10-15min which is ok since it is related to riding technique, stamina and hours on the bike and can easily be corrected. Got 2 other I know with same results.

Don't get into things you have no clue about you think zacco and 10 other pro on AMA/MX GO level do surgery because poor riding technique? Ridiculous.
Lastander
10/8/2020 2:07am

Hack and slash, doctors relieved my muscles from the fascia that was too tight, worked wonders
aees
10/8/2020 2:47am
Lastander wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/08/453341/s1200_CF1083D8_2325_4FC3_A526_B00BD39FCE7D.jpg[/img] Hack and slash, doctors relieved my muscles from the fascia that was too tight, worked wonders

Hack and slash, doctors relieved my muscles from the fascia that was too tight, worked wonders
I did the big one. My surgeon did not want to use micro surgery since it can cause scar tissue due to the tools hurting stuff when moving around in there ☺️

ctbale
10/8/2020 3:09am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2020 3:10am
I am old...forwarned:
*More time on the bike
*Cardio
*Ride with lower body
*Diet

When I first started racing back in the 1970's I would get stomach cramps and "arm pump". We didnt call it arm pump back then, we just called it "your being a weak ass pussy" haha.

But what really helped was drinking a product called ERG. Any of you old fuckers remember that stuff? Its called Vitalyte now I believe. Good stuff.
10/8/2020 3:54am
Lastander wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/08/453341/s1200_CF1083D8_2325_4FC3_A526_B00BD39FCE7D.jpg[/img] Hack and slash, doctors relieved my muscles from the fascia that was too tight, worked wonders

aees wrote:
I did the big one. My surgeon did not want to use micro surgery since it can cause scar tissue due to the tools hurting stuff...
I did the big one. My surgeon did not want to use micro surgery since it can cause scar tissue due to the tools hurting stuff when moving around in there ☺️

😬
kb228
10/8/2020 5:21am
aees wrote:
Complete BS statement that it has only to do with how you ride. Armpump can equally be subject to your physical preconditions. My armpump disappeared right...

MZ193 wrote:
Who the fuck gets armpump after 3 corners? Come on man...
If i dont stay in the best shape i can, i do. Making it 2 laps can be a struggle.
jonboy688
10/8/2020 5:34am
water makes a huge difference for myself, i can cut out caffeine a few days before a 2 hour race and drink only water i am golden..... i agree with the comments on gripping with the legs, i always mentally remind myself to stand up more and grip with my boots and knees
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
10/8/2020 6:54am
Water, BCAA's, stretching, riding and SuperBeets have worked wonders for me.
ge217
10/8/2020 7:36am
Being fluid with bike is number one. Also use more of your core and legs for strength, on the balls of your feet (has been said already). Being relaxed is key. When you’re relaxed you’re breathing and hitting your marks. It’s when you start making those little mistakes you start to grip harder, forgetting to breath. Causing you to get arm pump and start riding tight. I personally can go three months without riding and go right back to it without getting pumped up. A good suspension setup will help with this also.
Canoe589
10/8/2020 8:02am
The only things I've ever found to alleviate arm pump is to remember to warm up when we first start riding. Take it easy a few laps. Second is to ride as often as possible. More hours on the bike = less arm pump.
10/8/2020 9:02am
X1000 it is the only thing that works for me ! Cardio (Bike, running, HIIT, etc) + Workout and diet. If i don't follow this for a few weeks the arm pump is back immediately.

Also, there is few advice like breathing and thinking about letting your hands relax in the air or at some part of the track.

Anyway, it seems we're all different with this but i'm quite sure 80% of the arm pumps come from bad diet and cardio...try this first and then see what you can change on your bike if you still have this problem
Natester551v
10/8/2020 10:20am
X1000 it is the only thing that works for me ! Cardio (Bike, running, HIIT, etc) + Workout and diet. If i don't follow this for...
X1000 it is the only thing that works for me ! Cardio (Bike, running, HIIT, etc) + Workout and diet. If i don't follow this for a few weeks the arm pump is back immediately.

Also, there is few advice like breathing and thinking about letting your hands relax in the air or at some part of the track.

Anyway, it seems we're all different with this but i'm quite sure 80% of the arm pumps come from bad diet and cardio...try this first and then see what you can change on your bike if you still have this problem
All of the above; diet and fitness help, time on the bike helps a ton, since you're not death-gripping the bars.

I use Flexx bars on every bicycle or motorcycle I own; they're more of a comfort thing than an arm pump cure. Once I figured out the right elastomers for me they're amazing. I actually rode my brothers bike (with stock KTM bars) back to back with mine, and it was crazy how harsh it felt. The moto Flexx bars do add a little bit of weight, but I've heard through the grapevine that they're developing a lighter moto version...Whistling

The only time I get arm pump now is if I take 6 months or so off and jump right back into moto...hanging on too dang tight...
greenmx5
10/8/2020 12:30pm
jonboy688 wrote:
water makes a huge difference for myself, i can cut out caffeine a few days before a 2 hour race and drink only water i am...
water makes a huge difference for myself, i can cut out caffeine a few days before a 2 hour race and drink only water i am golden..... i agree with the comments on gripping with the legs, i always mentally remind myself to stand up more and grip with my boots and knees
Caffeine is a big one for me. If I have caffeine the morning of riding, my arms just pump up all damn day.
dbx33
10/8/2020 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2020 1:20pm
wait just a gosh damn second!
you mean to tell me pizza, and diet mtn dew is NOT a pro racers diet??!?!?!

I figured the pros were all saying monster because of sponsor $$$ but really everyone just substitutes it with the Dew.
Jdawggg
10/8/2020 6:09pm
Set up plays a huge part..basic ergonomics watch some of Ryno’s videos stuff like neutral wrist position and lever hieght can have a major impact..the way you think you like your bike may be causing most of the problem pay attention to your body position when standing if your bars are too far back your wrist could be bent or too far forward you hang on with your fingers..sag, fork ht, bar bend there is a lot of variables don’t be afraid to try different stuff to be as comfortable as possible

Post a reply to: Arm Pump Solution?

The Latest