Arizona Cycle Park

Related:
Create New Tag

12/5/2018 6:44 AM

Looking at photos from the Arizona Open, I noticed a little bit of elevation change. Went and found the place on Google and it looks like a nice facility. Not sure how much of that land they own but is it a possible venue for Pro Motocross? It sits next to a prison, so that might not be a great idea but beyond that, anyone have experience with the facility?

|

12/5/2018 7:10 AM

Nationals run summertime, temperature in Arizona summer is about 105-110 most days.

But it's a dry heat...

The track is in a big pit, so that is why you see elevation changes and makes for good spectator viewing. Other than the pit all around is flat so parking is easy. Not sure on the acreage they actually have for ACP, but plenty of open land around the area. Other than the prison (and a landfill) the area is pretty open, no residential for miles so no neighbor complaints (other than prison residents).

It is about 50-60 minutes from downtown Phoenix. The heat would be the biggest deal breaker.

|

12/5/2018 7:56 AM

A little elevation change?...just a pit. There is only one track in Arizona with real elevation change but it's a private track.
Gopher Gulch up near Kingman serious elevation change.

|

12/5/2018 8:49 AM

They could make the facility at acp fully pro track capable. I’m sure most feel ACP is the best track in Arizona, I havnt been to many Arizona tracks but they have a pretty good thing going. Also the owners are a face I saw in the pits of Supercross/motocross for a long time, not sure if they had a son that raced or ran a team but they are people the pros know which makes me believe they have the experience and that’s why acp has been so successful.

|

12/5/2018 8:52 AM

An early round in may might not be too bad temp wise. Like mentioned earlier, it is a 'dry' heat!?

|

12/5/2018 9:05 AM

They could make it a National track, I think the issues would be as mentioned Hot weather , enough parking and there is only one road that I know of into the track.

Bobby White is as Old School MX as it gets and His Son Austin is on point too. Bev keeps things running smooth too.

|

12/5/2018 9:35 AM

Probably the best facility here in AZ, nothing too sketchy, but nice jumps/challenging stuff too. Plenty of space for a national, though the track itself I don't think is a long enough lap time, but I know they shorten / close off sections too during practice days. I've ridden there in May-June and the heat makes it pretty unbearable. Sure it's a dry heat, but still.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

12/5/2018 10:09 AM

usafwx wrote:

Probably the best facility here in AZ, nothing too sketchy, but nice jumps/challenging stuff too. Plenty of space for a ...more

From the Google photo, it looks like there are 2 tracks? Maybe they could hybrid them into 1 national track?

|

12/5/2018 10:30 AM

ga_pike wrote:

From the Google photo, it looks like there are 2 tracks? Maybe they could hybrid them into 1 national track?

There is, the one closest to the highway is the VET track, which is not challenging at all. They'd have to add some more challenging stuff for nationals, but like you said, could be done.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

12/5/2018 12:10 PM

Is this talk in part because Glen Helen is up in the air (or not happening) next year. To echo what others said, already way too hot even by late May in AZ. Average high in Buckeye is already around 100, could easily be 110 if you had a hot weekend. Also the "elevation change" consists of going in and out of the pit, maybe 2 to 3 stories??? So not much, just enough for a step up or step down. However, if you had some bleachers up at the top of the pit the viewing could be pretty good. I actually don't think the access would be as big of a challenge as the distance from town and the weather. Pala and Elsinore wouldn't be any good either though... Uggh. Hopefully Glen Helen makes it back.

|

12/5/2018 12:10 PM

It's a great local track, but not a good place for a national.

There are some ups and downs going in and out of the pit.

I liked the dirt, layout, and location there. The Vet track is fun as well.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

12/5/2018 12:30 PM

Nice track in the fall/winter,summer no way. It's a dry heat but so is a kiln or an oven,just too damn hot.

|

12/5/2018 12:38 PM

motomojo wrote:

A little elevation change?...just a pit. There is only one track in Arizona with real elevation change but it's a private ...more

Been dying to ride at Gopher Gulch ever since I saw a video a few years ago. Any tips on how a local guy gets linked up? wink

|

12/5/2018 2:05 PM

KenBone wrote:

Been dying to ride at Gopher Gulch ever since I saw a video a few years ago. Any tips on how a local guy gets linked up? wink

Ha yeah they get a lot of that.
Tips- I would say how bad do you really want to ride it?
Personally if i truly wanted to get on an invite list for a killer private track i would find out where it was and show up
with some tools ( hand rakes to heavy equipment whatever i have) and work my ass off all day on whatever is needed to be done then introduce myself to the owner and see if they need anything else...but hey that's me. The last thing i would do is ask to ride.

|

12/5/2018 2:11 PM

motomojo wrote:

A little elevation change?...just a pit. There is only one track in Arizona with real elevation change but it's a private ...more

KenBone wrote:

motomojo wrote:

Ha yeah they get a lot of that.
Tips- I would say how bad do you really want to ride it?
Personally if i truly wanted to get ...more

Next time I head that way I'll make sure I search for the place and bring all my shovels, rakes, etc with me tongue

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/5/2018 2:44 PM

A National in the middle of summer in Arizona? Thanks but I will pass.

|

12/5/2018 2:59 PM

Just add lights. About time for another night national?!?

|

12/5/2018 3:09 PM

ACP is bitchin', but not even the Baker Boys could do two 30+2's in the afternoon summer without suffering from heat exhaustion.

|