Area riders you thought would be factory stars.

6/30/2009 12:57am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2009 12:58am
Chris Coleman from New York was one that I thought would break through. Jim Meenan from the NESC also.
DustinB333
6/30/2009 6:57am
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol. I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston. The guys I...
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol.

I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston.

The guys I remember were Casey Johnson, Rusty Holland, Butch Smith, Trevor Meager, Pat Bennett, Jon Nelson, Pat Gomm the list just goes on and on...
andymoto wrote:
Trevor Meagher....he could go like heck...but got hurt pretty good in a vehicle accident if I remember correct...

Andymoto are you thinking of Danny Nelson he was killed on a street bike. I seen Trevor M about 2 or 3 years ago riding in Marysville E street as a vet pro.
sc961
6/30/2009 7:36am
Billy Fosnock.. Not a local Mn guy, but saw him at Loretta's back in the 80's.

Came out in mismatched gear, no gloves and won a moto. There was a big buzz after that race, he came out in some nice looking "Flame" racewear for the next moto..

Can't recall how the week ended up...
donman
6/30/2009 7:37am
Junior Jackson
Andy Stacy
Shawn Clark

another rider that is up and coming but not getting the attention he deserves is Jace Owen
Andy Stacy was a factory rider...

Have look at this link for the info...
http://www.seanhamblinmx.com/news_art.asp?ARTICLE_KEY=8954
But this is what it said...

“I wanted to put something together so he could get to the races” stated Tuf Powersports Andy Stacy. As a member of factory Maico, Husqvarna and Team Tamm in the 1980’s Stacy can relate to the ups and downs of professional Motocross and the struggles to find support and competitive equipment.

The Shop

6/30/2009 7:57am
Michigan Area -

Jeff Curry
Dan Jeanette
Matt Maximoff
Chris Considine
Dave Beckington (well both brothers were top 20 every week)
Eric McClear
Randy Valade
Nate Adams
Josh Lichtle
6/30/2009 8:49am
Maximoff was a semi-factory DGY rider.

I think Junior Jackson was a factory Suzuki rider... just signed with them... then got hurt.
6/30/2009 9:01am
Junior Jackson
Andy Stacy
Shawn Clark

another rider that is up and coming but not getting the attention he deserves is Jace Owen
donman wrote:
Andy Stacy was a factory rider... Have look at this link for the info... http://www.seanhamblinmx.com/news_art.asp?ARTICLE_KEY=8954 . But this is what it said... “I wanted to put...
Andy Stacy was a factory rider...

Have look at this link for the info...
http://www.seanhamblinmx.com/news_art.asp?ARTICLE_KEY=8954
But this is what it said...

“I wanted to put something together so he could get to the races” stated Tuf Powersports Andy Stacy. As a member of factory Maico, Husqvarna and Team Tamm in the 1980’s Stacy can relate to the ups and downs of professional Motocross and the struggles to find support and competitive equipment.
I stand corrected. You sir KNOW your moto!!!!
6/30/2009 9:16am
andymoto wrote:
Trevor Meagher....he could go like heck...but got hurt pretty good in a vehicle accident if I remember correct...

ClappedOut wrote:
Watching Pat Bennett, Trevor Meager and Danny Paladino going at it at the Bounty Hunter series in Chowchilla are some of my best local MX memories...
Watching Pat Bennett, Trevor Meager and Danny Paladino going at it at the Bounty Hunter series in Chowchilla are some of my best local MX memories. Robbie Baker was another fast guy.

Back then I thought Pat Bennett was blazing fast... Until Lamson and McGrath showed up and laid waste to the locals... Watching Lamson and Mcgrath take the rythmn section 4 at a time was a thing of beauty. This was in 1990 when Lammy had the Suz with the pink RM logo... and MC was 125 on the KX.
PM me....we probably know each other.
PastranaWho
6/30/2009 9:19am
Devil1nNj wrote:
Jay Weller
Mike Leavitt
Ryan Mills
Mark Wundrack
Ryan mills and leavitt would have some epic battles on 65s and 80s but once they got into the big bikes mills took it to another level and actually beat leavitt with ease. Jay weller was fast locally but i never saw him do much outside the district , i dont think he has/had top speed to ever be considered factory. Mills had a factory ride but seemed like he just got burned out, i hear he might do southwick and unadilla this year. whats up with phil nicolletti????
6/30/2009 9:24am
I once watched a saturday race on a big during the fall classic series and thought Josh Woods had unbelieveable speed. He battled with Scott Metz and Jeff Gibson. The next day Paul Carpenter and Spud Walters showed up and SMOKED them all by a mile. It is amazing when you watch your local guys and think they have factory speed then a Mike Brown shows up and rides at a speed you never even considered possible. I love watching the lines those guys use. You ride a track all your life and never even saw those lines.
calimxer91
6/30/2009 9:24am
dirthead1 wrote:
Mike Craig
He made it.Definitely Jeff Hick's.Bob Hannah's little buddy.Eddie Hicks as well.
6/30/2009 9:25am
andymoto wrote:

ClappedOut wrote:
Watching Pat Bennett, Trevor Meager and Danny Paladino going at it at the Bounty Hunter series in Chowchilla are some of my best local MX memories...
Watching Pat Bennett, Trevor Meager and Danny Paladino going at it at the Bounty Hunter series in Chowchilla are some of my best local MX memories. Robbie Baker was another fast guy.

Back then I thought Pat Bennett was blazing fast... Until Lamson and McGrath showed up and laid waste to the locals... Watching Lamson and Mcgrath take the rythmn section 4 at a time was a thing of beauty. This was in 1990 when Lammy had the Suz with the pink RM logo... and MC was 125 on the KX.
That was the year he won his first SX in Vegas. He would show up out at Huron on Friday nights on his way down there.

Couple other that I remember racing against were John Cook, Chad Burelson, Dennis Stapleton, My brother Kelly rode pro around here, but I was back in TN racing at the time so I never really saw him ride. I rode my first year as a pro in fall of 95 here then finished my career back East.

I remember Robbie, Butch and Rusty duking it out at the underpass in Los Banos during one of our Bounty Hunter races. Butch's girlfriend Shannon was on the track fighting with them scratching the you know what out of all of them. That was when Robbie was a little uh how to you say "Big" in size.

Another guy I remember was Tyler Hummel. Their parents owned a Suzuki place in San Jose and last I heard his brother Shawn was working at Chapparal.
blair
6/30/2009 11:46am
blair wrote:
Ohio also had Todd Poling from Lancaster. Once finished third or forth at the daytona supercross riding yamahas. Dale Spangler finished in the top 5 one...
Ohio also had Todd Poling from Lancaster. Once finished third or forth at the daytona supercross riding yamahas. Dale Spangler finished in the top 5 one moto at Red Bud years ago and always hauled arse! Charlie Sullivan from WV used to be the man on minis way back in the day and even for a year to two on big bikes. Chris Carte from Charleston, WV won a couple titles on 65 and was fast on minis before giving it up.
Friday wrote:
That Mike Blair guy could haul! Great style and was rockin' the blonde hair coming out the back of the helmet.:P Hey what about Brian Wilson...
That Mike Blair guy could haul! Great style and was rockin' the blonde hair coming out the back of the helmet.Tongue Hey what about Brian Wilson. Mike Postlewaite. The Boone Bros. The Beckingtons?
Ahhh, the good ole days or the Mullet!!! I still see Brian Wilson every now and again. He has a kid racing 80's that goes ok. Mike Postlewaite is actually thinking of riding LL this year, he was up at the red bud regional and finished up 3rd or 4th in the 45 class. He has a teenage kid racing now too so he is getting more involved again.
DustinB333
7/1/2009 2:08pm
andymoto wrote:

ClappedOut wrote:

That was the year he won his first SX in Vegas. He would show up out at Huron on Friday nights on his way down there...
That was the year he won his first SX in Vegas. He would show up out at Huron on Friday nights on his way down there.

Couple other that I remember racing against were John Cook, Chad Burelson, Dennis Stapleton, My brother Kelly rode pro around here, but I was back in TN racing at the time so I never really saw him ride. I rode my first year as a pro in fall of 95 here then finished my career back East.

I remember Robbie, Butch and Rusty duking it out at the underpass in Los Banos during one of our Bounty Hunter races. Butch's girlfriend Shannon was on the track fighting with them scratching the you know what out of all of them. That was when Robbie was a little uh how to you say "Big" in size.

Another guy I remember was Tyler Hummel. Their parents owned a Suzuki place in San Jose and last I heard his brother Shawn was working at Chapparal.
Robbie wanted to fight everyone. And Butch Smith should have been something IMO.....

Factoryphoto
7/1/2009 2:39pm
Michael Brandes. Hes in his 30's and id put money on it he can do top 20 on a 450 and if he trained a little he would be higher than that.
Spinner
7/1/2009 2:57pm
Are you by any chance from Oklahoma lol??? Just curious, what type of crash did Robbie Smith have at Dallas in 05??? I remember he use...

Are you by any chance from Oklahoma lol???

Just curious, what type of crash did Robbie Smith have at Dallas in 05??? I remember he use to whoop ass on bmx bikes back in the day...

Johnny Marley is the first person I thought of when I read this title.

I know Johnny's story, but what do you believe prevented Charlie Bogard from making it? Did a few defeats from RC just destroy him mentally, or did he have some non-motocross things going on in his life that prevented his success???
Robbie Smith was at the Dallas SX on his YZ250F that year. He was ripping off some sweet laps throughout the day. I sat in the stands (with Shan Moore I think) and as practice was ending, Stephan Roncada put his name at the top of the lap time tower thing and Robbie was reeling him in one side of the track just as his name shot to the #2 spot on the lap times. I was pumped for Robbie.

Sadly though, the next whoop section took him down and his TLD helmet was broke in more than one spot. The Asterisk Medical Unit advised him to take the night off and see his doctor when he got back home. He was loopy to say the least.
Spinner
7/1/2009 2:57pm
Can't believe you Texas guys never mentioned Jason Edwards.
That dude was a nut.
NWMoto76
7/3/2009 11:27am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2009 12:25pm
In the mid 80’s there was a guy named Paul Wynn (spelling??) that killed it in the Pacific Northwest. He rode 80 expert, then moved to 125 expert (was to young to ride pro that year) and no one could touch him. It was fun to watch him ride!! He was supposed to be a factory superstar, but I never really saw him do a whole lot when he went pro, then I heard he raced in Europe for awhile. He had one of those "High Flyer" cards....Anyone remember him?
Steiny
7/3/2009 11:57am
Todd Lehman
Willie Simmons
David Antilion
Chris Radzinski (if he would have trained)
Tim Locey
Mike Steinhoff (worlds fastest begginer)

All grew up riding the hills of Simi Valley and could have all made it with a little luck.

DMG
7/3/2009 12:21pm

Thats funny stuff right there, how much did you make in Yamabucks over the years after you paid off Radzinski ?
jmar
7/3/2009 12:29pm
Steiny wrote:
Todd Lehman Willie Simmons David Antilion Chris Radzinski (if he would have trained) Tim Locey Mike Steinhoff (worlds fastest begginer) All grew up riding the hills...
Todd Lehman
Willie Simmons
David Antilion
Tim Locey

All grew up riding the hills of Simi Valley and could have all made it with a little luck.

Don't mean to sound negative but what years did these guys ride because I haven't heard of a single one of these guys other than Willy Simmons.
devheadmx
7/3/2009 12:35pm
x2

Still talk with Josh all the time and Mark is big in the Motard thingy (as you probably already knew)
andymoto
7/3/2009 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:43am
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol. I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston. The guys I...
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol.

I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston.

The guys I remember were Casey Johnson, Rusty Holland, Butch Smith, Trevor Meager, Pat Bennett, Jon Nelson, Pat Gomm the list just goes on and on...
andymoto wrote:

DustinB333 wrote:
Andymoto are you thinking of Danny Nelson he was killed on a street bike. I seen Trevor M about 2 or 3 years ago riding in...
Andymoto are you thinking of Danny Nelson he was killed on a street bike. I seen Trevor M about 2 or 3 years ago riding in Marysville E street as a vet pro.
I remember the Danny Nelson deal....he was the shit on minis and fast on big bikes(think he had Team Green or some Kawi support), but Meagher I'm almost certain got into a bad vehicle crash in early 2000's.

He showed up with Davis and couple others at my house; I can swear he was still recovering from the accident, but like said, it was long before when you saw him riding.

I might be outta my mind....LOL....ask him if you see him again. Pretty sure it happened though..
DMG
7/3/2009 2:44pm
Steiny wrote:
Todd Lehman Willie Simmons David Antilion Chris Radzinski (if he would have trained) Tim Locey Mike Steinhoff (worlds fastest begginer) All grew up riding the hills...
Todd Lehman
Willie Simmons
David Antilion
Tim Locey

jmar wrote:
Don't mean to sound negative but what years did these guys ride because I haven't heard of a single one of these guys other than Willy...
Don't mean to sound negative but what years did these guys ride because I haven't heard of a single one of these guys other than Willy Simmons.
All those guys were fast in the 80s around southern Cal. They all broke into the top 15 at a national or a sx. Timmy Locey was 6th in the 500 nationals and was voted rookie of the year in 84, so there are some fast guys there.

Mike Steinhoff was known as the fastest begginer because he got into the wrong gate one friday night at Indian Dunes and lead the pro class untill they black flaged him and put him in the right gate, the begginer class, that and he started racing again about 10 years later and piilaged a bunch of contengencie money.
croom mx
7/3/2009 2:49pm
You guys should form a forum like Vital Mx and ask where they are today? I know where most of the riders in my area area even after 30 years? Ask and you shall know!
7/3/2009 4:14pm
ClappedOut wrote:

That was the year he won his first SX in Vegas. He would show up out at Huron on Friday nights on his way down there...

DustinB333 wrote:
Robbie wanted to fight everyone. And Butch Smith should have been something IMO.....

I was actually good friends with him at the time. It was kind of a weird deal. He loaded up for Gainsville, never made it and was never heard from in this area again. Butch had a lot of support in this area, but I know he had a few demons to battle. Ah those were the days riding from his apartment through the middle of town and jumping canals to ditch the cops. Myself him and Nathan Woods spent a few laps riding around Hanford...
CamP
7/3/2009 7:37pm
Holigan wrote:
Bryan Abernathy
CamP wrote:
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas...
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas. He was incredibly talented and his battles with Danny Storbeck were epic. Unfortunately, when he moved up to big bikes he broke his leg, which was the first real injury he'd ever had, and that was it.
viking24 wrote:
How about Storbeck, I don't remember he ever having a factory ride? Some more east of the mississippi names. Kenny Adams (NJ) Kenny Briggs (PA) Tommy...
How about Storbeck, I don't remember he ever having a factory ride?

Some more east of the mississippi names.

Kenny Adams (NJ)
Kenny Briggs (PA)
Tommy Watts (KY)
Dave McClain (CT)
Joe Waddington (MA)
Chris Coleman (NY)
Troy Bradshaw (NY) may have been mentioned already
I think that Danny's dad declined the first factory ride that was offered. They had pretty deep pockets and he thought he could put together a better program, or so the story goes. Eventually he did end up with a Factory Yamaha ride and I think he was riding for them when he landed on Rick Johnson.
zippy895
7/3/2009 8:18pm
Tom Rice (N.Y.).almost had a Honda ride in 83 i believe.
andymoto
7/3/2009 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:44am
andymoto wrote:

ClappedOut wrote:

Heard Mike Brandes is working for Tyler Hummel....Shawn was his older brother wasn't he? darker curly red head and Tyler was much taller than Shawn if I remember....might be thinking of Don Mendenhall too? Don had that local magazine he was associated with in mid '90s for Nor/Central Cal racing...haven't seen Don, Shawn, Tyler in yrs....Thought Tyler with his height and style would be real good.

I remember Chad Burleson being a real good mini rider; him and Scott Davis, Justin Tierney, Jake Windham had good battles up here in Int class although Davis was only Int for a short time then turned Pro and Chad either got hurt or lost interest when he turned Pro. Nathan Woods as well; think he turned Pro around same time or bit later..

I remember a story in early 90s at Lodi or Stockton Fairgrounds my friend Dale Hansen, who use to be Dist 36 Blue Plate DT'er in the 70's beat Rusty straight up......Russ was so mad he wanted to fight Dale....and Dale is like my age, 50 now; Rusty must be close to 40 now. Dale said he told Rusty something like he sucked if an old man could beat him....I've always liked Rusty....Butch Smith...woulda, shoulda, coulda..

I remember Bennett at SXs in '95, '96, 7...thereabouts....he was good...I kept thinking he was Pat Foster for some reason..The 125 SX classes were stacked with to me the best crop of Ints in those mid '90ish days...

You mentioned John Cook....I thought you were talking about the John Cook of the '70s that went to Speedway....Just saw him last week with Magoo at Jimmy Sills place.

I wrenched and helped Davis out after his first sponsor went to other things....PM me on who you are if you don't mind...Got me wondering....lol.

Post a reply to: Area riders you thought would be factory stars.

The Latest