Area riders you thought would be factory stars.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
6/28/2009 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:38am
A guy I thought was gonna make it was Johner Kight. He had a Honda support ride in 83 &84, crashed real hard at the saddleback national and was dead for a few minutes. He was never the same rider after that. The one thing that kid had was a ton of heart.

Steve Schmitz was super fast, thought he was gonna make it.
Tim Locey 6 in the 500 nationals one year.
Juan Benevidaz

Then you had the local Indian Dunes wild man, Bobby Kline, he was super fast on a friday night and was horribly scary to pass.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
6/28/2009 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:38am
South Florida - Late 1970's

Jimmy King
Kenny Keylon
Don Kuldowski
Karl Jordan
Kippy Pierce
Huckster
6/28/2009 6:01pm
Carlo Coen
Kurt McMillan
Rob McCullough
Eric Reily

The Shop

Highsider
6/28/2009 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2009 6:54pm
It took so long for Shane Bess to be listed, that I named him also... oops!
TerryK
6/28/2009 6:56pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

Jimmy King
Kenny Keylon
Don Kuldowski
Karl Jordan
Kippy Pierce
I believe Don Kudalski had a Honda support ride in the mid 70s, a support ride for Can-Am in 76-77 I think, and also Rokon (!) and Harley factory rides.
MX7MX
6/28/2009 7:00pm
Drew Askew
Chad Ward
donman
6/28/2009 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:39am
Mr. Carsten ponders why Suzuki never gave him Factory status...

Also, here's some good reading about Carsten from The Weege.
I found this while looking for the above image...

. http://www.pulpmx.com/content/wisdom-weege
Small excerpt if you don't want to click above link...

With the world primed and ready for a new hero, the Barr dog, Barry Carsten, was ready to strike.

And strike he did, landing 5th in the 1987 125 Eastern Region Supercross tour. He followed that up with a 4th in the 1989 rankings. Then, using his championship-honed experience, Barry came out with a consistent run at the East/West opener at Houston in 1990 (yes, back then the East and West regions met up several times each year). Barry finished 5th in the Houston race, and since the top four riders were all from the West, he left Texas as the EAST POINTS LEADER!!!

He finished the year solidly in 4th.

After that, Carsten went on to live through the Suzuki contingency program. It has been rumored that Suzuki would have a car that outsells the Toyota Camry today had Barry not eaten up so much of the R&D budget through his contingency exploits. Over in Japan, he is heralded for his longevity, and in his honor, when Barry declared that he will not race the AMA Nationals for 2009, Suzuki pulled its contingency program. It was basically only there for him anyway.

Barry held an AMA National number from 1987 through 2005. In ’05, he got ripped off because Suzuki didn’t have a 450 yet for anyone except RC, so Barry was left like three points short of a number when saddled with an RM250. To shove it in everyone’s face, he came back on a 450 in 2006 to earn number 93. If it weren’t for that John Dowd guy, Barry would hold the record for national-number longevity. Kind of like Thriller outselling Born in the USA. Bastard!

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
6/28/2009 7:08pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

Jimmy King
Kenny Keylon
Don Kuldowski
Karl Jordan
Kippy Pierce
TerryK wrote:
I believe Don Kudalski had a Honda support ride in the mid 70s, a support ride for Can-Am in 76-77 I think, and also Rokon (!)...
I believe Don Kudalski had a Honda support ride in the mid 70s, a support ride for Can-Am in 76-77 I think, and also Rokon (!) and Harley factory rides.
Whoa, now that is a good memory.

I think Kenny Keylon might of had a Honda ride at one point also.
6/28/2009 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2009 7:35pm
Kippy Pierce also was on the factory Can-Am team in 1979.
Hank_Thrill
6/28/2009 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:39am
Spinner wrote:
[b]Johnny Marley[/b] (fast and talented beyond belief, but couldn't make it happen) [b]Chase Reed[/b] (seemed to be hurt a lot) [b]Jacob Martin[/b] (injuries and IMO burned...
Johnny Marley (fast and talented beyond belief, but couldn't make it happen)
Chase Reed (seemed to be hurt a lot)
Jacob Martin (injuries and IMO burned out a little there near the end)
Shawn Wright (burned out and quit in 1993 for about 8 years, then came back to run local pro and Vet stuff and work with his son Michael who has become a very fast mini rider)
Robbie Smith(I think his crash in practice at Dallas SX in 2005 changed him)

Funny story about Robbie Smith.
Him, Marley, Cory Green, Reynard, Ryan Voit, Demuth, and several other fast guys out of Texas showed up one weekend at Cooperland for a Loretta qualifier or an Okie state race (can't remember, it was a couple years ago) I was covering for Cycle News. In the 450 Pro class, Smith nailed the start and took the F off. Behind him in the first turn was a big pile up and it slowed everyone down a few seconds. Reynard and Marley both got bad starts and were held up in traffic for a bit, but Smith was out front just tearing it up.

Well, Reynard finally got into second and was just smooth as glass and not pushing it at all. On the last lap, he got to the top side of the track and Smith was lying in the mud by where the old sewer pipe used to seep out of the ground slightly. He was trying to get back up as RR17 went by.

After the race, I asked RR how he caught Smith who by then had almost a minute lead on everyone. RR says, "Huh? I thought he had crashed behind us and I was lapping him." But then I told him how big a lead Smith had and he almost didn't believe me.

So I then went to ask Smith what had happened and his response was something like, "Dude....it smells like shit up there! I'm covered in it!".

Are you by any chance from Oklahoma lol???

Just curious, what type of crash did Robbie Smith have at Dallas in 05??? I remember he use to whoop ass on bmx bikes back in the day...

Johnny Marley is the first person I thought of when I read this title.

I know Johnny's story, but what do you believe prevented Charlie Bogard from making it? Did a few defeats from RC just destroy him mentally, or did he have some non-motocross things going on in his life that prevented his success???
jmar
6/28/2009 10:18pm
Spinner is from Arkansas.
6/28/2009 10:30pm
mx295 wrote:
Casey Lytle
Keny Terracianno
Donald Upton (the rider i wrenched for)
Ricky Hemme (johns son)
Jeff Willoh
Corey Redinus

I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol.

I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston.

The guys I remember were Casey Johnson, Rusty Holland, Butch Smith, Trevor Meager, Pat Bennett, Jon Nelson, Pat Gomm the list just goes on and on...
FIREfish148
6/28/2009 10:38pm
kyle harris keith batterson they both battled with villopoto in the NW from 60's-80's but when they made transfer to big bikes, batterson had a terrible...
kyle harris
keith batterson
they both battled with villopoto in the NW from 60's-80's but when they made transfer to big bikes, batterson had a terrible injury that set him back. and harris just didnt have the financial backing or parental support to keep him going.
Lol funny how both of those riders are out of yakima!!! Washington had a ton of young talent in the late 90's, or maybe i was just slow.
CamP
6/28/2009 10:40pm
Holigan wrote:
Bryan Abernathy
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas. He was incredibly talented and his battles with Danny Storbeck were epic. Unfortunately, when he moved up to big bikes he broke his leg, which was the first real injury he'd ever had, and that was it.
6/28/2009 10:46pm
Holigan wrote:
Bryan Abernathy
CamP wrote:
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas...
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas. He was incredibly talented and his battles with Danny Storbeck were epic. Unfortunately, when he moved up to big bikes he broke his leg, which was the first real injury he'd ever had, and that was it.
And that's the way it goes for so many.

Some it's the first beer.
Others the first hit of weed.
And others their first piece of ass.
And for others their driver license in search of some ass.
And for still others, deep down they were lazy, could only whoop ass on the weak.
shaner708
6/29/2009 3:21am
Gene Stull and Sammy Holland. 90's in district 5. Both could beat Hepler and Jessemen but never did anything pro.
JB 19
6/29/2009 4:38am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2009 4:40am
mivers176 wrote:
Ohio/KY area:

Greg Rand
Ben Riddle

has to be two of the fastest and most dominant riders i can remember watching that just didnt make it.
Rand for sure.

Adding Hayden Richards, Stevie Childress
JB 19
6/29/2009 4:47am
CB wrote:
Matt Maximoff, Chris Considine
I haven't heard the name Chris Considine in years.
JB 19
6/29/2009 4:59am
-eagle- wrote:
Ohio:

I saw Burkhart, Steel, Riddle, Rand.

Gonna put tommy collier, Eickel & Beuhl in there too.
And what ever happend to Bellmont, Frecker & Berry?
Friday wrote:
Troy Graham and Brian Wilson too from that area but in the early 80's.
Beuhl rode for Suzuki in 90.
tuz371
6/29/2009 8:05am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:39am
I didn't realize Carsten did so well in SX. He definately did well by Suzuki's contigency program. With all the Saturday SX - Sunday Englishtown trips he made, Barry probably wishes the Nationals went to a Saturday program years ago as well.

Jo Jo Keller

Joel Dengler (did pretty well for Husqvarna in the woods)

Bob Burfield (could haul ass on the 500 when he was a teenager)

Dave Kratz (rode in Europe in the 125 class for KTM Germany one year, too many major injuries)
jmar
6/29/2009 9:31am
CB wrote:
Matt Maximoff, Chris Considine
JB 19 wrote:
I haven't heard the name Chris Considine in years.
I think Chris quit while still on the minis.

Good peewee and sixty rider.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
6/29/2009 10:11am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:39am
Are you by any chance from Oklahoma lol??? Just curious, what type of crash did Robbie Smith have at Dallas in 05??? I remember he use...

Are you by any chance from Oklahoma lol???

Just curious, what type of crash did Robbie Smith have at Dallas in 05??? I remember he use to whoop ass on bmx bikes back in the day...

Johnny Marley is the first person I thought of when I read this title.

I know Johnny's story, but what do you believe prevented Charlie Bogard from making it? Did a few defeats from RC just destroy him mentally, or did he have some non-motocross things going on in his life that prevented his success???
Charley didn't lose much to RC. It was a coin flip every time they lined up on the same gate. They had some epic battles at Whitney, Ponca, Loretta's, etc. Charley finished 2nd at Atlanta as a privateer in his first SX ever. He was the most consistently fast, most 'dig deep', kid I ever saw around here.

At the end of the day, I think his dad could've applied a little more finesse in dealing with the business end of things. A lot of people think he made some poor "talent management" decisions. Plus Charley had some pretty serious injuries (lacerated liver being the worst) that I think finally took out of the top tier.

He was an incredible talent. He'd jump anything. Watching helplessly as he blew by you in practice (twice, every four or five laps) was completely deflating to the ego. He still races. Been doing some TCCRA events recently from what I hear from an XC buddy of mine. And he usually rides things like the Pro Challenge (which he won several times).

6/29/2009 10:19am
Junior Jackson
Andy Stacy
Shawn Clark

another rider that is up and coming but not getting the attention he deserves is Jace Owen
viking24
6/29/2009 10:26am
Holigan wrote:
Bryan Abernathy
CamP wrote:
Abernathy and I rode for Arlington Yamaha back in '81. I was riding 125 int and he was dominating the 80 class here in North Texas...
How about Storbeck, I don't remember he ever having a factory ride?

Some more east of the mississippi names.

Kenny Adams (NJ)
Kenny Briggs (PA)
Tommy Watts (KY)
Dave McClain (CT)
Joe Waddington (MA)
Chris Coleman (NY)
Troy Bradshaw (NY) may have been mentioned already
Dmoks
6/29/2009 10:28am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2009 1:12pm
mr50racer wrote:
He never had the chance.. Bruce Bunch No doubt he would have made it........
Robert wrote:
I know the guy who has his 80. I'll see if I can find a pic.
UpTiTe wrote:
The last bike he raced, an R&D 105 [IMG]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6474/img8536fn2.jpg[/IMG]
The last bike he raced, an R&D 105

6/29/2009 3:42pm
Around 1979 I thought the XR80 was the best bike you could get. Then I saw Bruce Bunch roosting this bike called an RM80 in Cycle Magazine. That was it for me- I had to get an RM and race.
I remember the article said "in the future, the world will have a talent pool they won't believe." They were right, but unfortunately, he wasn't around to show it.
andymoto
6/29/2009 10:58pm
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol. I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston. The guys I...
I was wondering when I was going to see Upton's name...lol.

I traveled with him and another guy from Co named Chad Walston.

The guys I remember were Casey Johnson, Rusty Holland, Butch Smith, Trevor Meager, Pat Bennett, Jon Nelson, Pat Gomm the list just goes on and on...
Trevor Meagher....he could go like heck...but got hurt pretty good in a vehicle accident if I remember correct...

ClappedOut
6/29/2009 11:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:40am
andymoto wrote:
Trevor Meagher....he could go like heck...but got hurt pretty good in a vehicle accident if I remember correct...

Watching Pat Bennett, Trevor Meager and Danny Paladino going at it at the Bounty Hunter series in Chowchilla are some of my best local MX memories. Robbie Baker was another fast guy.

Back then I thought Pat Bennett was blazing fast... Until Lamson and McGrath showed up and laid waste to the locals... Watching Lamson and Mcgrath take the rythmn section 4 at a time was a thing of beauty. This was in 1990 when Lammy had the Suz with the pink RM logo... and MC was 125 on the KX.

Post a reply to: Area riders you thought would be factory stars.

The Latest