Are we a legitimate sport, or a motorized version of WWE?

10/17/2018 5:37am
Chick that cut my hair yesterday wasn't aware that there are dirt bike racing competitions of any sort. Nobody cares.
gabrielito
10/17/2018 7:05am
milliebays wrote:
did you see tomac pass three of the hardest riders to pass in motocross on a one-lined track BEFORE he got to savage, or are you...
did you see tomac pass three of the hardest riders to pass in motocross on a one-lined track BEFORE he got to savage, or are you just fixated on the one point of controversy?

because there was some prettty decent racing going on.
philG wrote:
. What i saw was insurance fraud. Monster giving a Monster guy $1m is no issue, but i guarantee you , if i am a Lloyds...
. What i saw was insurance fraud.

Monster giving a Monster guy $1m is no issue, but i guarantee you , if i am a Lloyds of London name , who is on the hook, for that $1m , and the $1m that the guy in the crowd got, then i sure as hell aint paying up.

And someone somewhere , is already all over this.

Monster offers a $2m pot but insures against it being won, then two Monster athletes collude to dictate if it gets won.

Even if their was a conversation, thats fraud, the fact that Savatgy is a thick twat and made it so blatantly obvious .

The money people dont give a fuck , they will send people to jail rather than pay out , thats why they are rich. And rightly so.

APLMAN99 wrote:
They'll pay up, because that's their obligation. You'd have to be able to prove that somehow they conspired to rig the finishes of all 3 races...
They'll pay up, because that's their obligation.

You'd have to be able to prove that somehow they conspired to rig the finishes of all 3 races, that Savatgy received orders from the actual owner of the insurance policy, etc. Good luck with that.

Without evidence of a conspiracy for all 3 races, Savatgy could easily claim that he'd just reached the point where he couldn't maintain that pace any longer and he just decided to waive him on rather than continue to try to keep the pace and crash.

Not that I believe that's what happened, but if he claimed it, it would be difficult to actually prove otherwise.
There is absolutely no way this money was insured by Lloyds of London or anyone else. The MEC is racing entertainment in which they can experiment with ways to "grow the sport". Clearly Tomac was predetermined to win. It started with the track design. It was 100% designed to suit his riding style. They commented on this in the broadcast. Ralph telegraphed that Savatgy may pull over. They had the split screen with the contestant to ad to excitement (obviously a planned production element). The MEC was much more a Monster Jam event than it was a actual fair and square race.

The only sticky point is If the sports books took wagers on the race, Savatgy may be getting a new boot sponsor come the SX final from Quickrete.
Moto96
10/17/2018 7:36am
Its a pay to play hobby where a select few get paid to endorse some shit and make a living from it.

ga_pike
10/17/2018 7:37am
Be honest... if this was WWE, the riders would be making a ton more bank!!

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/17/2018 7:40am
We got nothin on classic wrestlin...

10/17/2018 11:12am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 11:12am
Park Boys wrote:
What's your opinion then of all the "fraud" in F1?
In F1, an insurance company doesn't underwrite prize money that may or may not occur. Dumb analogy.

That said, for the Monster Energy Cup, an insurance company underwrites the payout knowing full well that team orders could come into play. They still take the bet. We're all adults here (well, I am anyway). This is a non-issue.
10/17/2018 11:14am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 11:18am
gabrielito wrote:
There is absolutely no way this money was insured by Lloyds of London or anyone else. The MEC is racing entertainment in which they can experiment...
There is absolutely no way this money was insured by Lloyds of London or anyone else. The MEC is racing entertainment in which they can experiment with ways to "grow the sport". Clearly Tomac was predetermined to win. It started with the track design. It was 100% designed to suit his riding style. They commented on this in the broadcast. Ralph telegraphed that Savatgy may pull over. They had the split screen with the contestant to ad to excitement (obviously a planned production element). The MEC was much more a Monster Jam event than it was a actual fair and square race.

The only sticky point is If the sports books took wagers on the race, Savatgy may be getting a new boot sponsor come the SX final from Quickrete.
I agree that it all had a very fake look to it, but I've never heard of any big-money prize that wasn't funneled through an insurer.

In any event, Supercross is just a low-end spectacle for a low-end mindset (yes, that translates to what I think of as "dumb people"), so what do we really expect?
ProKawi24
10/17/2018 11:48am
I don't know about it feeling like WWE but I will say one thing I have a distaste for is all the energy drink crap, specifically Monster. They just keep cramming that brand down our throats to the point where I wouldn't buy it just because they annoy me now. It seems like everything has a damn Monster logo or sticker slapped across it. If it isn't Monster it's Red Bull or RockStar.

I'm 30 years old but this may make me sound like an old timer - I miss the days when the sponsors were more "Motocross" or somehow motorcycle/motorsports related. At the time of my accident (racing 85cc/Supermini) I had a support ride with Pro Circuit/Splitfire, so my bike graphics for 3 years had the big spark plug on the air shroud and the year I had my accident, the sponsor with Splitfire ended so it just said "Pro Circuit". The other main teams I remember were:
Yamaha of Troy (had the big dragon).
FMF/Honda
Amsoil/Factory Connection
MotoXXX
Planet Honda
Factory Suzuki
Chevy Trucks Kawasaki

It's funny but sometimes when I watch supercross now I get flashbacks to the movie "Idiocracy" with all the energy drink logos everywhere and the way they put on the show with all the girls shooting fire out of cannons, etc. The spectacle it's become mirrors that movie quite a bit.
Lucifa.
10/17/2018 12:27pm
It was good racing and a nice gesture (Gift?) for Savatgy to let his team mate through for the win and the $$.

It happens in a lot of sports. Hell, we were always gifting KOM, Sprints and wins (money/points) in cycling for working. No different in this sport. Non issue IMO.
ob
10/17/2018 12:41pm
The announcers they use do make it seem like a clown show. Not professional racing.
MiguelT.
10/17/2018 12:41pm
gabrielito wrote:
There is absolutely no way this money was insured by Lloyds of London or anyone else. The MEC is racing entertainment in which they can experiment...

Fantastic post. On point.

Post a reply to: Are we a legitimate sport, or a motorized version of WWE?

The Latest