Are triples still needed?!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2018 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 3:40 PM

The question is as simple as "Bonjour" like we say in Belgium. Do we need triples in Supercross? I ask this for following reason, when a 250 bike gets block passed but can still make the triple without any problems, then I notice that it isn't a challenging object anymore. Ok some airtime is cool to look at for the spectators, but replace those triples with something like: Dragonback-Tabletop-Tabletop-Single or Single-Tabletop-tabletop-reversed dragonback. That would make things more challenging and more options for rhytmes makes more passing.

Or do we need to introduce the "FMX Ramp - Double"? A very wide Steal FMX Ramp with a very long landing like in that one off race back with McGrath? You could make riders go high but not that far, because I find triples just a waste of space without any options to take it.
Photo

Please fill me in on your opinions?!

|

2/9/2018 3:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 3:51 PM

Just think of them as a big doubles with a safety landing in the middle for those that have an issue and cant make it. Do you ever see finish line triples? They are doubles and typically smaller. Ive also never seen anyone scrub a ramp.

|

2/9/2018 3:49 PM

I say keep the triples. Especially if someone cant get the speed to jump the triple they at least still have the option to double it safely. That's why the ramp double wouldn't work, no way to safely roll it in case of an emergency. As far as nothing but rhythm sections, I don't want to see a track with nothing but rhythm sections and maybe a set of whoops or two.

#triplelivesmatter

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

2/9/2018 3:57 PM

This is just.... dumb smh

|

2/9/2018 4:01 PM

Quads bro

|

2/9/2018 4:05 PM

yes. just not two on the same track.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

2/9/2018 4:10 PM

wtf?

that's almost as fucking idiotic as asking if grid girls are still needed in the F1 series.

of-fucking-course they are!

|

2/9/2018 4:28 PM

I think one triple is needed. Two isn't necessary. I'd like to see a whole baseline of just whoops one day. Really separate the men from the boys. Also more over unders and stank dog with a chainsaw lurking inside the tunnel.

|

2/9/2018 4:29 PM

Photo
|

2/9/2018 4:35 PM

Brett_Clark wrote:

I think one triple is needed. Two isn't necessary. I'd like to see a whole baseline of just whoops one day. Really separate ...more

Decoster would never allow that many whoops. His boy Marv wouldn't be able to handle it.

|

No brains, No headaches.

2/9/2018 4:36 PM

Is Supercross even needed.

Seems like a bunch more bikes were sold before Supercross was invented.

Are whoops even needed. Whoops were invented to slow lap times to get motocross to fit in a stadium.

I don't like that riders have to get hurt bunny hopping a bunch of steep jumps just to be seen in a stadium.

Just feels like there would be more glory in crashing on a knarly motocross track than crashing in a whoop section...if you had to crash.

That Hannah VS. Omara video was killer. More of that.

|

2/9/2018 4:41 PM

Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, SX triples, ya scrub ‘em, you whip off ‘em, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

2/9/2018 4:53 PM

I don’t know, maybe the OP is on to something here, he makes a good point about the 250’s. I say, keep the triple, but stretch them out a tad, making it somewhat more difficult to clear, if you don’t get a run at it. Make them, say, 173 feet, take off to landing. No way a guy will try that, if he got stuffed in a corner. Just another option to consider.

|

2/9/2018 4:57 PM

I vote shark pits and rings of fire

|

2/9/2018 4:58 PM

Remove them and do what? Add little jumps? Big jumps are fun

|

2/9/2018 5:09 PM

peelout wrote:

wtf?

that's almost as fucking idiotic as asking if grid girls are still needed in the F1 series.

of-fucking-course they are! ...more

Mr. Speaker, I’d like to join the fray with my brother from Utah in “Full Agreement”. I yield back the balance of my time and reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

2/9/2018 5:18 PM

There have been multiple passes shown on tv so far this year where the passer has block the other guy from doing the triple.

|

2/9/2018 5:21 PM

kx1984 wrote:

Are whoops even needed. ...more

Whoops invented at stadiums? There was miles of them in the 1960's at various spots in the Mojave Desert.

I bet the first thing Marvin wants to check out when he gets to the stadium are the whoops.

I agree with you on the Hannah vs Omara vid.

|

2/9/2018 5:25 PM

kx1984 wrote:

Phantom 661 wrote:

Whoops invented at stadiums? There was miles of them in the 1960's at various spots in the Mojave Desert.

I bet the first ...more

If you’d like, I can show you a 30 mile long “Section of Whoops” just below Constitución in Baja.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

2/9/2018 6:48 PM

kx1984 wrote:

Phantom 661 wrote:

I bet the first ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

If you’d like, I can show you a 30 mile long “Section of Whoops” just below Constitución in Baja.

30 miles of whoops? Talk about arm pump! laughing

|

2/9/2018 7:15 PM

Brett_Clark wrote:

I think one triple is needed. Two isn't necessary. I'd like to see a whole baseline of just whoops one day. Really separate ...more

Keith72 wrote:

Decoster would never allow that many whoops. His boy Marv wouldn't be able to handle it.

Yeah one can imagine if he had a guy like Baggett (who can hammer the whoops exceptionally well for a smaller dude) instead of Marvin on his team then Decoster would be campaigning for massive long whoop sections.

I say one triple is fine, but I like when it's close enough to a turn such that if a guy makes an aggressive block pass he also has to weight it against possibly having to double-single and giving up time to the guys behind. Puts a bit of strategy into it. Of course, the closer it is to the corner the higher odds a privateer in the 250s comes up short and gets hurt....

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

2/9/2018 7:34 PM

Seems like I remember someone missing a triple almost ever weekend

|

2/9/2018 7:35 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Mr. Speaker, I’d like to join the fray with my brother from Utah in “Full Agreement”. I yield back the balance of my time and ...more

And sir, if elected, how far are you willing to be corrupted and more importantly to whom?

|

2/9/2018 7:38 PM

It was pretty cool in the early 90s when the 125s couldn't always make a triple. Mike Brown winning Pontiac 1994 as a privateer because he was jumping the triple and the factory boys were not. One obstacle i don't recall seeing is an inside line double, outside line triple/quad. Maybe it would be to squirrely having two turns so close together?

|

2/9/2018 8:18 PM

It doesn't matter how many fake jumps are between them, jumps are measured in distance. If landing ramps were not in a specific distance that you "want" to hit, you could jump to the flat without a landing ramp and see who can launch it the farthest vs. who can scrub to get back on the ground.

|

2/9/2018 8:20 PM

peelout wrote:

wtf?

of-fucking-course they are! ...more

He— yeah!

|

2/10/2018 12:10 AM

Just stretch out the triples and make the landing more forgiving so you don't die if you come up short. Either that or make the middle jump a tabletop and call it a quad.

|

2/10/2018 4:38 AM

I get what your saying and you have a point but I think just for the sake of resting your hands and pulling a tear off they are still necessary before heading into the next rhythm lane.

|

2/10/2018 4:54 AM

kx1984 wrote:

Phantom 661 wrote:

I bet the first ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

You going to Tampa? Go north of there on 75 and Croom is right next to 75 and the white line shown next to 75 is all woops for miles.

Photo

|

2/10/2018 5:04 AM

The whole point of a double jump was that someone who was brave enough could take their life in their hands and clear both and hence make time over someone who wasn’t/didn’t.

That’s why Magoo had a jump named after him.

But what’s the point in them when when every rider can jump them?

There have to be better ways to design track sections that allow the better riders to use their skill to gain an advantage.

|