Are these still a thing or was it just a fad?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/5/2019 9:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2019 9:15 PM

Photo

Back when I was racing in the mid-2000’s it seemed that everyone had the stubby gas cap vent tube. I don’t seem to see them very much anymore...
|

2/5/2019 9:16 PM

I run them. Unless you get the tank hoses worth a valve in it when you tip the bike over fuel comes out the hose and all through the steering bearings. That said i think I'm one of the only ones at the track running it

|

2/5/2019 9:21 PM

chump6784 wrote:

I run them. Unless you get the tank hoses worth a valve in it when you tip the bike over fuel comes out the hose and all through the steering bearings. That said i think I'm one of the only ones at the track running it

Bearing are on the outside of the stem the fuel runs down the inside of the stem onto the front fender, never comes in contact with the bearings. wink

|

Ed Johnson

2/5/2019 9:24 PM

Ain't runnin' that stuff on my injected rigs, bro.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

2/5/2019 9:30 PM

"I'm gonna change a perfectly good, working part for a pointy object that sits right in front of my ball sack." Brilliant idea!!

Never understood that fad. Correct me if I'm wrong but I never saw any factory teams at any point run those dumb ass things. I certainly didn't.

|

2/5/2019 9:33 PM

chump6784 wrote:

I run them. Unless you get the tank hoses worth a valve in it when you tip the bike over fuel comes out the hose and all through the steering bearings. That said i think I'm one of the only ones at the track running it

lostboy819 wrote:

Bearing are on the outside of the stem the fuel runs down the inside of the stem onto the front fender, never comes in contact with the bearings. wink

Well there you go, I always blamed dry head stem bearings on fuel getting on them. That said, the fuel running down the fender worth premix in it looks ugly so at least I avoid that

|

2/5/2019 9:40 PM

Those work great for taking cap off without having to try and stuff the vent hose back into your steering stem everytime. Not alot of room with fatbars. Still use them on some bikes.

|

2/5/2019 9:40 PM

I actually had one on my last bike! However it cracked near the bottom so I pulled it off. I always thought they looked cool but I do love early 2000'a bikes and gear etc.

|

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure.

2/5/2019 9:44 PM

There are caps made with no vent hose and completely smooth. It vents under the rim of the cap , but has a ball bearing check valve for when it tips over. Check out IRP LLC. Ian is a good dude and makes some cool stuff.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/5/2019 10:11 PM

I’ve got one on my bike. Had to make free shipping plus **BLING**

|

Life's a garden, dig it.

1996 CR250R
2016 YZ450F
2001 Suzuki Bandit 600

2/5/2019 10:19 PM

Is it considered a "fad" if it's been around for (at least) 37 years? I did it to the vent tube on my RM80 back in '82.

|

2/5/2019 11:00 PM

I run an extra long tube with an extra big cap. I like how it swings around and hits stuff. Reminds me, of, me.?

|

2/6/2019 12:55 AM

I never understood the reason for aluminum gas caps. Guys will spend hundreds on Ti, then run an aluminum cap that weighs twice as much as the plastic one

|

2/6/2019 1:50 AM

Let me be one of the first to say I absolutely despise the crap out of those stupid shorty vent hose tips for one when you take your gas cap off to put gas in your bike you have to set the cap somewhere and hope it doesn't fall down in the ground in the dirt whereas with a normal hose you can just unscrew it and let it hang off to the side and then put it back on your gas tank.

If those dam things get clogged or blocked for ANY reason they will give the illusion that your bike is running out of gas because it starves the bike, if air can't get through, your gas won't drain into the carb. (like putting your finger on the top of a straw while it's in a cup of soda or water) . IMO these things are garbage and also yes you can whack your nuts on them....I had one on myn03 KX250 when I picked it up and that was the first thing I replaced.

|

2/6/2019 1:58 AM

loftyair wrote:

I run an extra long tube with an extra big cap. I like how it swings around and hits stuff. Reminds me, of, me.?

Don't go bragging about being the diameter of a vent hose

|

2/6/2019 2:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 4:10 AM

I had one on one of the bikes when I got it. Lost it at one of the sandy tracks a couple of weeks later, came back to standard vent hose but I never gave it much thought.

|

2/6/2019 2:50 AM

I got mine off eBay for 3 bucks

|

2/6/2019 3:08 AM

Thanks China

|

2/6/2019 3:40 AM

I must be in the minority as I’ve never been a part of the #METOO movement when it comes to bike bling. I’ve always thought a clean purpose looking bike was the cat’s ass. Function over form I always say.

|

2/6/2019 4:00 AM

They can vapor lock your bike

|

2/6/2019 4:31 AM

I have them on my bikes. Not a fan of gas pouring out when i crash

|

2/6/2019 6:07 AM

Lightning78 wrote:

Let me be one of the first to say I absolutely despise the crap out of those stupid shorty vent hose tips for one when you take your gas cap off to put gas in your bike you have to set the cap somewhere and hope it doesn't fall down in the ground in the dirt whereas with a normal hose you can just unscrew it and let it hang off to the side and then put it back on your gas tank.

If those dam things get clogged or blocked for ANY reason they will give the illusion that your bike is running out of gas because it starves the bike, if air can't get through, your gas won't drain into the carb. (like putting your finger on the top of a straw while it's in a cup of soda or water) . IMO these things are garbage and also yes you can whack your nuts on them....I had one on myn03 KX250 when I picked it up and that was the first thing I replaced.

I had one for a very short amount of time. First race (harescramble) it was not breathing, boiled the fuel, and eventually blew the hose out of the bottom of the tank. Really scary situation for a little bit and will never take that risk again.

|

2/6/2019 6:20 AM

I don’t trust them. Have had numerous vents like that cause my bike to vapor lock. I run one on my pit bike but I’m not sending it 100’ on my pit bike.

|

2/6/2019 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 6:31 AM

If you’re on a carbureted bike and by some chance lose your fuel line, you can pull your vent hose and use it as a fuel line in a pinch. That doesn’t work so well with the shorty.

That’s pretty rare, but I’ve happened across guys at races that have had it happen. I just pull the vent hose, put it on the tank and carb and it’s good enough to get them back to the truck.

|

2/6/2019 6:40 AM

WoodsRider378 wrote:

If you’re on a carbureted bike and by some chance lose your fuel line, you can pull your vent hose and use it as a fuel line in a pinch. That doesn’t work so well with the shorty.

That’s pretty rare, but I’ve happened across guys at races that have had it happen. I just pull the vent hose, put it on the tank and carb and it’s good enough to get them back to the truck.

actually just did this! saved myself a long walk back to the truck

|

Disregard females, acquire currency.

2/6/2019 7:04 AM

I remember racing as a kid my uncle had purchased me one thought it was badass fell off on the track he purchased another one same story again, then when your racing gas would slightly splashing out I look back and laugh now... fad for sure!

|

Washed up mid pack B rider

2/6/2019 7:11 AM

WoodsRider378 wrote:

If you’re on a carbureted bike and by some chance lose your fuel line, you can pull your vent hose and use it as a fuel line in a pinch. That doesn’t work so well with the shorty.

That’s pretty rare, but I’ve happened across guys at races that have had it happen. I just pull the vent hose, put it on the tank and carb and it’s good enough to get them back to the truck.

And you can use it to connect petcock to petcock to transfer fuel to another bike. Like when you're in the woods and someone runs out of gas 2 miles from the truck.

Even so.... I run shorties on my ATV's and anyplace where it's hard to tuck a fuel line breather.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2019 Husqvarna TX300
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/6/2019 7:26 AM

I watched a kid (young adult) at my local track who was running VP MR12 and one of the gay thing's from above get a full on facial from the pressure build up. It was funny

|

2/6/2019 7:30 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

There are caps made with no vent hose and completely smooth. It vents under the rim of the cap , but has a ball bearing check valve for when it tips over. Check out IRP LLC. Ian is a good dude and makes some cool stuff.

Jeffro, can you shoot me a PM please?

|

"We don't rent pigs."

2/6/2019 7:31 AM

That shit is old school like vented plates or helmet fins

|