Are the 2018 RMZ450's that bad?

Double
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2018 6:43am
Are the 2018 RMZ450's that bad compared to the rest of the other 450's? Over the last 6 weeks I have been seeing a lot of 18 RMZ450's up for sale with anywhere from 10 - 30 hours on them for $5,000 - $5500 AUD ($3,645 - $4,000 USD) and after talking with the owners the reasons why they are selling them, the common answer is to get a decent 450.

|
zehn
8/23/2018 3:44am
It was good enough in stock trim for Reed
mxrudi
8/23/2018 4:01am
They are anything but bad. Very reliable. Not as good in the shoououts, partly (I think), because of lack of R&D. Lately they are all complaining that RMZs transfer a lot of energy to the body but it's been like that since 08. Some like to feel the ground more than others. That's not suspension, but frame related. Sure that makes you tired a little more.
OtotheB178
8/23/2018 4:06am
no such thing as a bad modern bike.....it's all down to personal tastes and budgets. I like the look of the RMZ and i like the way they put the power to the ground, they're also cheaper so that's enough positives for me to consider one. I personally ride a KTM 250sx and i'd recommend a 250 2 stroke if my opinion was asked for.....lol
motomike894
8/23/2018 4:10am
No they’re not, I love mine, and I’m no slouch on a bike either and I weigh lot.

35 hours and not one single issue, I have suspension revalved and sprung, lowering link, pipe, bunch cosmetic stuff, just had intake cam gear moved give me little more response it worked.

This winter I’ll do a high comp piston and probably have head ported.

But it handles great, smooth, reliable, good brakes, I’ve ridden a new ktm and don’t see the hype.

The Shop

kb228
8/23/2018 4:30am
Theyre not bad bikes if you compare it with all 450s from 2010. Like theyre solid bikes. Theyre just not as good as the other 2019 bikes. Thats why its priced so low. You get estart, hydro clutch, kick ass suspension and lighter weight bikes with every other brand. The only reason to buy a zook is the price point. If they sold them for $8500-9000 they wouldnt sell any bikes at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Makes it easy for new riders to get one
kijen
8/23/2018 5:11am
Good thing bikes can't complain about the riderSmile
agn5009
8/23/2018 5:14am
kijen wrote:
Good thing bikes can't complain about the riderSmile
LaughingLaughingLaughing
mister2dt
8/23/2018 5:16am
I see lots of local races being won by guys on zooks. They are great bikes, price cant be beat. Making the changes needed to suit the rider, you still come out cheaper than any of the other brands. How can you go wrong with that?
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/23/2018 5:33am
I rode a friends 18 when he got it and I felt comfortable in one lap, it was crazy. I felt like I had been riding the bike all year. Power was great, turned, slim and didn't feel heavy.

I would buy one with 10 hours on it any day.
Gilby122
8/23/2018 7:35am
I just bought one last week. Paid $6800 otd. Been on a '16 350 SXF the last two years. I ordered an exhaust, sprockets, chain, grips, air filters, holeshot device, oil, filters, some other bling, etc. You name it. A fully "built" bike for me...and I'm still about $1500-2000 less than a new 350 or450 that's stock.

I put a few hours on it last weekend and can say I'm already a better rider on the Suzuki than my 350. I love it. Been messing a lot with settings tryin to figure out how everything feels, but can say 100% I love the bike. Don't notice the weight at all. And love the power. Very smooth. Handles amazing. I'm the one that sucks...but the bike is doing great!
TeamGreen
8/23/2018 8:05am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 8:10am
I've got most all of my 2018 track time on the RMZ. It's EXCELLENT. Stock, the shock is a bit of a challenge to get set-up and never seems to be quick enough to absorb little kickers & square edged bumps...
But, after sending the suspension off to Factory Connection, that's no longer an issue and I LOVE the way this bike works.

Nothing turns as good as the Suzuki.
Here I am having fun on the '19 during the Vital MX 2019 450 Shootout. I rated it 6th, but...be sure to read "why"....& just FIX the suspension...

Note: after the 2018 shootout, I was annoyed by the fact that the Suzuki was "trying" to ba an AWESOME bike (that was held back by goofy suspension settings) and I really loved it's turning prowess and layout. I could see with my own eyes & hear with my own ears that it had an exhaust system that HAD TO BE THE HEAVIEST in the test...it was THAT quiet...and I knew that someone had to be able to get that shock (and even the forks) to work a lot better. So, I told Michael and Suzuki what I wanted to do with it...it became a Long Term Test Bike and went on to have a life in the "Bike Builds" section here at Vital...
I put a Yoshimura Ti/Carbon pipe on it...POOF! Good bye 4 pounds!
I put the Lightwieght Guts seat on it...POOF! More weight gone and better ergos.
I put some Mettec Ti bolts on it (around $800 worth just for fun!)...good bye to another pound and looks awesome!
Most importantly, I sent the suspension off to Factory Connection: IT'S A DIFFERENT BIKE!
The Suzuki has been SUPER RELIABLE and has been an awesome bike that's won races for me and has been less expensive over an entire year than any other 450 I've ever ridden or raced.

See https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/The-Vital-MX-2018-RMZ450-… over in Bike Bullds.

Good Luck!

Manny
Moto520
8/23/2018 8:11am
They are great bikes. Super reliable and good fit and finish. The forks are top notch as well.
bultokid
8/23/2018 8:37am
Great bikes for us mere mortals, love my '12 RMZ450 and if didn't buy an '18 TC250 would have got a new RMZ. Reliable as a claw hammer...ride,rinse,repeat
Doddy
8/23/2018 8:46am
Personally, I feel the bike is a good bike. In a world were everything has to be lighter, better, more advanced, and faster it just falls short. If I was to drop money on a 4stroke, it would go to the best bike available. There is not a single practical reason to get a Suzuki over another brand other than cost(not all of us care either. look at KTM sales). After growing up on Suzuki's, I can honestly say I'm happy I made the switch to Yamaha. Perhaps I switch again, but I doubt it is back to Suzuki. I see no reason to buy brand new bike that's already behind everyone else. I am no pro, and yes I can tell the differences usually. I want the best bike, not an easy bike to put around the track and be lazy on. Just an opinion from someone who won't be buying a Suzuki anytime soon, if ever(not having a 2stroke kinda seals the deal). If I wanted a dated bike I would go to craigslist, not a Suzuki dealer.

Double
8/23/2018 4:48pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've got most all of my 2018 track time on the RMZ. It's EXCELLENT. Stock, the shock is a bit of a challenge to get set-up...
I've got most all of my 2018 track time on the RMZ. It's EXCELLENT. Stock, the shock is a bit of a challenge to get set-up and never seems to be quick enough to absorb little kickers & square edged bumps...
But, after sending the suspension off to Factory Connection, that's no longer an issue and I LOVE the way this bike works.

Here I am having fun on the '19 during the Vital MX 2019 450 Shootout. I rated it 6th, but...be sure to read "why"....& just FIX the suspension...

Note: after the 2018 shootout, I was annoyed by the fact that the Suzuki was "trying" to ba an AWESOME bike (that was held back by goofy suspension settings) and I really loved it's turning prowess and layout. I could see with my own eyes & hear with my own ears that it had an exhaust system that HAD TO BE THE HEAVIEST in the test...it was THAT quiet...and I knew that someone had to be able to get that shock (and even the forks) to work a lot better. So, I told Michael and Suzuki what I wanted to do with it...it became a Long Term Test Bike and went on to have a life in the "Bike Builds" section here at Vital...
I put the Lightwieght Guts seat on it...POOF! More weight gone and better ergos.
I put some Mettec Ti bolts on it (around $800 worth just for fun!)...good bye to another pound and looks awesome!
Most importantly, I sent the suspension off to Factory Connection: IT'S A DIFFERENT BIKE!
The Suzuki has been SUPER RELIABLE and has been an awesome bike that's won races for me and has been less expensive over an entire year than any other 450 I've ever ridden or raced.

See https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/The-Vital-MX-2018-RMZ450-… over in Bike Bullds.

Good Luck!

Manny
Thanks Manny, that's a good in sight. Because you have ridden all the 450's back to back and now had the test RMZ. If you were not paying for your bike / parts and had the choice between the RMZ with all the parts / suspension and any other 450 with all the parts / suspension the same as the RMZ what way would you go for your everyday bike?
Bry145
8/23/2018 4:54pm
Even Yamaha guy Doug Dubach said "It's still a pretty good motorcycle.

I rode a 2013 as well as a 2008 model. I'd buy one at the right price, but switched back to a two-stroke as they suit my budget better. If money wasn't as tight, I'd happily ride Yellow.

BroFoSho
8/23/2018 4:59pm
No, the 2018 RMZ450 is not a bad bike. Why? Because the 2009 wasn't a bad bike either and they're the same LaughingLaughing
Kyle_McNab
8/23/2018 5:04pm
No they’re not, I love mine, and I’m no slouch on a bike either and I weigh lot. 35 hours and not one single issue, I...
No they’re not, I love mine, and I’m no slouch on a bike either and I weigh lot.

35 hours and not one single issue, I have suspension revalved and sprung, lowering link, pipe, bunch cosmetic stuff, just had intake cam gear moved give me little more response it worked.

This winter I’ll do a high comp piston and probably have head ported.

But it handles great, smooth, reliable, good brakes, I’ve ridden a new ktm and don’t see the hype.
Suzuki are good bikes for the weekend warrior. I have a 13 rmz 250 even they get a lot of hate. I’m only a 130 lbs. so the motor doesn’t hurt me to bad. Super rideable and predictable bike which often gets overlook by most riders. I have a Yoshimura slip on with my suspension and shock set up for my weight. Zero problems other than maintenance

JWACK
8/23/2018 5:15pm
Ba ba ba bad!

Bad to the bone.!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/23/2018 5:23pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've got most all of my 2018 track time on the RMZ. It's EXCELLENT. Stock, the shock is a bit of a challenge to get set-up...

Good Luck!

Manny
Holy shit. I'm not saying the RMZ is a bad bike, but you spend $800 to cut 1 pound off that bike? What is the point?
MelonFan123
8/23/2018 5:30pm
if it had electric start i would consider one in a heartbeat.
jtiger12
8/23/2018 5:42pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Suzuki are good bikes for the weekend warrior. I have a 13 rmz 250 even they get a lot of hate. I’m only a 130 lbs...
Suzuki are good bikes for the weekend warrior. I have a 13 rmz 250 even they get a lot of hate. I’m only a 130 lbs. so the motor doesn’t hurt me to bad. Super rideable and predictable bike which often gets overlook by most riders. I have a Yoshimura slip on with my suspension and shock set up for my weight. Zero problems other than maintenance

I sure do miss speedciti. RIP.
ge217
8/23/2018 5:48pm
Love mine. Im 6'3, I had to move the center point of my bars forward and added a PC link. Plenty of power, to me the power curve is smoother then years past, making it better in my eyes.
TeamGreen
8/23/2018 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 8:29pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Good Luck!

Manny
Double wrote:
Thanks Manny, that's a good in sight. Because you have ridden all the 450's back to back and now had the test RMZ. If you were...
Thanks Manny, that's a good in sight. Because you have ridden all the 450's back to back and now had the test RMZ. If you were not paying for your bike / parts and had the choice between the RMZ with all the parts / suspension and any other 450 with all the parts / suspension the same as the RMZ what way would you go for your everyday bike?
Go read my build thread...

For the money and with the suspension mods...the Suzuki is soooooo inexpensive and dependable that it’s a “no brainer” to me. The FC suspension makes it a COMPLETELY amazing bike.
TeamGreen
8/23/2018 8:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Good Luck!

Manny
GrapeApe wrote:
Holy shit. I'm not saying the RMZ is a bad bike, but you spend $800 to cut 1 pound off that bike? What is the point?
If you came from Aerospace or F1...you’d understand my “addiction” to really, really nice fasteners. I blame Lockheed and the F22 for my “problem”.

Besides, ya big ape...I’m worth it!
Kyle_McNab
8/24/2018 6:43am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Suzuki are good bikes for the weekend warrior. I have a 13 rmz 250 even they get a lot of hate. I’m only a 130 lbs...

jtiger12 wrote:
I sure do miss speedciti. RIP.
I know such a bummer. One of my favorite tracks. Had my first race there in 2010 back when the had the circle track

Post a reply to: Are the 2018 RMZ450's that bad?

The Latest