Are people actually buying these over price used 125's?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2017 5:47 AM

Wtf is up with these crazily priced used 125's? I started surfing the market because my older son will be moving up in a year or so. I was looking for something kind of hammered that we could restore over the winter but every person with a clapped out 125 thinks they're sitting on a gold mine. Are these things actually selling? I seen a 96 YZ going for a thousand less than I got my new one for back in 96. Crazy!

|

9/19/2017 5:51 AM

Pretty common imo. Non-moto people think 2 strokes are some kind of mystic technology that were stopped because of a government conspiracy, so they are willing to pay top dollar for them.

You might not pay $3500 for a 1996 kx125, but Bubba will so he can rip around the sand pits with his buddies

|

9/19/2017 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 6:07 AM

Not sure about the market value in the US but I can guarantee in Europe it's pretty crazy too for 125s. You won't buy a decent kx 125 '90/'00 for less than 1500€ which is like yea about 1700 USD. Might not seems expensive but it's still a 25 years old bike like older than me lol and it's funny cause I got my used 10 years old car in perfect conditions for 500€ only.
So basically the price of a 2 strokes 125 it's three times higher than it and you still may want to do some further work on the bike too like in my case, from my point of view this is just crazy.
Plus the more we go on with the time the worse it gets.

|

9/19/2017 6:04 AM

They are all high until you are the one with it for sale

|

9/19/2017 6:06 AM

2 strokes in ohio are expensive too recently. I remeber a kx250 going for $1500 max in decent shape a couple years ago. Im looking for one in OK shape to restore to new and theyre all $2000-$3000. Not sure what the deal is. How can a 2010 efi 450 go for $3000 but a 2002 kx250 goes for the same price? Beats me.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

9/19/2017 6:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 6:12 AM

Rebuilding them is not cheap. My RM (now 144) cost well over $3500 by the time I completely rebuilt it. I'm guessing as I refuse to add up the receipts.

Mine started as a $1500 (I think) beater. Stripped to frame, powder coated frame, rebuilt engine (Gorr 144), new rims, spokes, tires, all new bearings, chain, sprockets, plastic, radiators, hoses, air filter, handlebars, levers, grips, seat cover, miscellaneous fasteners, and had the suspension completely redone by Factory Connection. Doubt I could get over $3500, but I'd still be in the hole. Yet, for less than the cost of a similarly conditioned newer bike I have a bike that is unique with great character and a blast to ride!

At the end of the day, decide what it's worth to you.

|

9/19/2017 6:16 AM

I bought a pretty tricked out 05 YZ250 for 1900 once 4 days later sold it for 2800 never even started it. I didn't plan on selling it but I noticed there was a shortage of where I live Northeast Illinois

|

9/19/2017 6:25 AM

I thought the concensus was two strokes were so much cheaper to own and maintain?

Re-building a 125 for 3500? Sounds like a 250f....which by the way, I have never had to rebuild...

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

9/19/2017 6:43 AM

It's not very easy selling 125s in so cal, most people want 450s or bigger bikes in general.

|

9/19/2017 6:53 AM

seth505 wrote:

It's not very easy selling 125s in so cal, most people want 450s or bigger bikes in general.

Out-of-town buyers. That's what I said. I remember hearing myself saying, "Out-of-town buyers." You know what? You don't pay a ho to fuck you. You pay her to leave. What you get out-of-town buyers to do? You get them to get the hell back out of town. That's why I asked for out-of-town buyers. What'd I get? In-town buyers. Someone decided to meet in-town buyers. You know what else I got for my money? In-town broskis. In-town trouble.

Victor Sweet's moral of the story: sell to people you'll never see again.

|

9/19/2017 7:06 AM

seth505 wrote:

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

Out-of-town buyers. That's what I said. I remember hearing myself saying, "Out-of-town buyers." You know what? You don't pay a ho to fuck you. You pay her to leave. What you get out-of-town buyers to do? You get them to get the hell back out of town. That's why I asked for out-of-town buyers. What'd I get? In-town buyers. Someone decided to meet in-town buyers. You know what else I got for my money? In-town broskis. In-town trouble.

Haha, funny you bring that up. My last 125 sold to someone who drove like 8-9 hours to come get it.

|

9/19/2017 7:07 AM

I have an 05 yz 125, I have a line of people that would buy it today if I wanted to sell it.

|

9/19/2017 7:09 AM

seth505 wrote:

Opposite hear on the east coast

|

9/19/2017 7:12 AM

seth505 wrote:

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

Truth. I sold a practice bike to a friend of a friend, he was over at my house every time he had a problem. One day I gave him a box full of parts, enough to probably build a new motor minus a barrel and told him I didn't want to see tjat bike again.

Never sold a bike to a friend again.

|

9/19/2017 7:17 AM

I know that struggle. My dream of finding a nice 03+ KX125 for a reasonable price isn't looking too realistic.

|

9/19/2017 7:23 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

I have an 05 yz 125, I have a line of people that would buy it today if I wanted to sell it.

Same here. Same year, same bike. Bought it for $1,700 in 2011.

|

9/19/2017 7:24 AM

You guys have it lucky. In BC Canada guys are asking $3k+ for an 03 KTM 250sx... Or $5k for a 09 250xc...prices on used bikes are insane and most are just beat to ever living hell...

|

9/19/2017 7:26 AM

kaptkaos wrote:

I thought the concensus was two strokes were so much cheaper to own and maintain?

Re-building a 125 for 3500? Sounds like a 250f....which by the way, I have never had to rebuild...

Did you read his post? He was talking about a full bike rebuild not just engine. Bearing, wheels, suspension, plastic, clutches, controls cost about the same for all bikes. Engines are another story.

|

9/19/2017 7:28 AM

kaptkaos wrote:

By rebuild he means rebuilding the entire bike from years of abuse. When he's done and wears out the motor, he'll be able to rebuild the entire engine for less than a thorough top end on a 4-stk.

I'll have about 3500-4000 into my third-gen AF CR250. Will I get that out of it if I decided to sell? Nope. Will I have a basically new bike for half the cost of a new 450? Yep. I'll have enough money to get my kids outfitted for riding and some left over. That's what it's about. 450's are neat, been there done that. But I didn't have one ounce more fun than I did back in '02 on my last 2-stroke, while paying a $&@? Load more $$$ to do it.

|

9/19/2017 7:46 AM

I just sold my 10 year old 250 SX for $3K. I bought it in 2011 for less than that. I ran it through several top ends, a bottom end, multiple clutches, some transmission gears, and a ton of bearings. It was thoroughly used, but maintained. I freshened it up nicely before selling it, but I was still surprised at the amount of interest in a bike that old at that price.

Looking in my market, there are hardly any 2 strokes available for less than $3K. The ones that are look like garbage.

Supply and demand imo. All the cool kids want a 2 stroke now.

|

9/19/2017 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 8:02 AM

You're not wrong, I think what it is bikes like the CR or RM that they no longet make they think they have something extremely rare. I was looking at RM125's a while back and one of them they wanted 2400 and it was nothing special at all.

|

9/19/2017 7:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 7:59 AM

What are you looking to pay up front?

My girlfriend bought a 99 CR125 for $1600. It needed about $500 in resto to be what I would consider safe for her to ride again. So for $2100 she got a nice reliable 125.

You can find very nice well taken care of 125's for $2000-$3000. Anything less than 2K probably needed a decent resto to be safe/reliable.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

9/19/2017 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 8:25 AM

kaptkaos wrote:

Pick up an old sacked out four stroke, and rebuild the entire bike, chassis and engine, and get back to us on the cost. And then when you need to rebuild/refresh the engine again, how much will it cost?

|

9/19/2017 8:06 AM

3D wrote:

Wtf is up with these crazily priced used 125's? I started surfing the market because my older son will be moving up in a year or so. I was looking for something kind of hammered that we could restore over the winter but every person with a clapped out 125 thinks they're sitting on a gold mine. Are these things actually selling? I seen a 96 YZ going for a thousand less than I got my new one for back in 96. Crazy!

Start trying to look in different places. Out of town or out of state. Maybe some shops and so forth. Also....finding out of state and having it shipped works. Ask for help on here about having someone maybe look at one for you , and things like that. OR.....find one out of state and make a road trip.

The bikes are out there , so you have to keep looking. You'll find one. A new one is about 7K.....so if you find a nice used one at 1/2 that price.....there shouldn't be anything to complain about.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/19/2017 8:19 AM

I've just bought (have not seen pictures yet - they show up this afternoon) a 1972 Monarch 125cc. Serial # 3534, for $750.00 Original tank and seat, after market pipe and Sachs Type D motor

This picture is of serial # 3558

Photo

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

9/19/2017 8:28 AM

3D wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

Start trying to look in different places. Out of town or out of state. Maybe some shops and so forth. Also....finding out of state and having it shipped works. Ask for help on here about having someone maybe look at one for you , and things like that. OR.....find one out of state and make a road trip.

The bikes are out there , so you have to keep looking. You'll find one. A new one is about 7K.....so if you find a nice used one at 1/2 that price.....there shouldn't be anything to complain about.

I do have the luxury of having time. I know I'll find something at some point. I was just shocked when I seen the 06+ YZ going for 3k easy. Even complete roached out steal framers were 2k+.

|

9/19/2017 8:29 AM

Supply and Demand. It's a tricky concept, I know...

|

9/19/2017 8:36 AM

That's the asking price. There are tons of cheap ass tire kickers that think they can do better than you restoring or rebuilding. I called a lowballer out as a full of shit because he drove 40 miles and acted like he was not really interested. I asked him why he would drive that far if he wasn't interested.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/19/2017 8:41 AM

3D wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

3D wrote:

I do have the luxury of having time. I know I'll find something at some point. I was just shocked when I seen the 06+ YZ going for 3k easy. Even complete roached out steal framers were 2k+.

Yeah those prices aren't un-common. Out here you can find some under $2000.00 , but most look pretty clapped out. Usually about $2500.00 - $3200.00 you can find a nice one. A gal on here named Bronwyn picked up a 2006 YZ 125 that litteraly had like 4hrs on it , and she picked it up for $2500.00. She's been riding the hell out of it for 1.5 years now. Widen that feeler gauge , you'll find one. Heck....if it isn't out of your price range , finding a used 12'-16' model can go for around $4000.00. There really isn't that big of a price difference.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/19/2017 8:46 AM

seth505 wrote:

I'm looking for a 06+ YZ125. Are you selling one? I'm in SD.

|