Are high speed or low speed crashes worse?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2014 11:13 AM

Not crashing is obvioiusly better but in the event you're going to take a soil sample what is your preference? I've experienced both and in my experience I have gotten hurt just as bad if not worse when crashing at lower speeds. I have stepped off at speed and had a chance to scrub off some energy before coming to stop but in a low speed crash it is usually WHAM!

What's your take?

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

12/4/2014 11:18 AM

I would rather have a low speed crash. High speed crashes freak me out.

|

12/4/2014 11:24 AM

they can be equally as dangerous, why youre seeing alot of companys really getting the low impact protection better with the new layered styled EPS liners

|

12/4/2014 11:48 AM

Panic_Rev wrote:

I would rather have a low speed crash. High speed crashes freak me out.

I've had two serious get offs and both were high speed. I prefer slow speed crashes especially since I'm usually in the woods. High speed into trees is a recipe for disaster.

|

12/4/2014 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2014 11:53 AM

Both can be bad, but I'm currently recovering from a 3-4 MPH fall that tore my groin up! It has been 1.5 months and I am still bothered by it. It was a slip and fall in a muddy trail during a hare scrambles. Imagine grabbing a turkey leg and ripping it off....that's how my groin felt! This has been a slow healing process... Now I can understand when a football player is out so long for a groin pull and how easily it is to re-injure...

|

2019 KTM 350 XC-F
Daytona Dirt Riders (DDR)
Floridatrailriders.org (FTR)

12/4/2014 12:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2014 12:03 PM

Fucked myself up on a easy 10 ft jump on my 125 when my foot bumped my shifter from 2nd to 1st up the face. Broken collar bone , concussion, fractured sternum, torn mcl, nerve damage in arm. day and a half in hospital because of trauma to my chest if I remember right... Pretty ridiculous for how slow I was going.

|

12/4/2014 12:09 PM

slow ssems worse to me.
son on yz85 crashes happen like this.

slow speed = at least a set of handlebars and him being stuck under the bike for a few seconds.

High speed = bike fliping end over end, nothing getting damaged and body and bike far apart from each other.

and on the body well any crash is worthy of a ambulance ride and a cast to him lol.

|

12/4/2014 12:21 PM

There is a reason you dont hear about the really bad high speed crashes.

|

12/4/2014 12:38 PM

Low speed =knee

High speed=shoulder/collarbone

|

12/4/2014 12:47 PM

I don't care if it's high speed or low speed. The one's that hurt me are the one's that body slam me into the ground. As long as I can roll out of it I'm fine. Over the handle bar crashes also tend to punish me.

|

12/4/2014 12:48 PM

Ask Seth Enslow!

|

12/4/2014 1:08 PM

nothing worse in my mind than a low-mid speed high-side... no way to tuck and roll. just fucking PLAP

|

12/4/2014 1:09 PM

Both can be bad, but I typically get hurt on the slow crashes. It feels like with the slower crashes I don't get away from the bike and that ends up getting me.

|

12/4/2014 1:11 PM

Micahdogg wrote:

Ask Seth Enslow!

videos please...

|

12/4/2014 1:28 PM

Honestly, I don't know. I suspect both can be equally bad depending on how one ends up falling. The only time I have got a concussion was low-speed. Low speed also brake 3 ribs on my left side. High speed has gifted me with a broken wrist, broken ankle, separated shoulder, serious neck injury and a scar on my stomach about five inches long.

I've just had a revelation. I'm going with high-speed.

|

12/4/2014 1:55 PM

My high speed crashes would be most peoples low speed crashes.

|

12/4/2014 2:05 PM

mach6972 wrote:

videos please...

Look up "the hard way."

Photo

|

12/4/2014 2:09 PM

wired4speed wrote:

I don't care if it's high speed or low speed. The one's that hurt me are the one's that body slam me into the ground. As long ...more

Yup...nailed it.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

12/4/2014 2:12 PM

I've been hurt in both. Just depends on how you hit the ground or which way your bike throws you off. I have come away unscathed from some high speed stuff....had a buddy that broke two vertebrae in his back from falling over in a slow rutted corner.

I gotta say though...."most " of my bad injuries came at high speeds though. The lower speed crashes seem to target one specific area ( like where your body hits the ground )....at high speed....you do a lot of tumbling and hit multiple areas, multiple times , over and over and over.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/4/2014 2:42 PM

I allways rode really deep sand tracks so there was not that much difference in high or low speed crashes on straight-aways / corners since you land in soft soil anyway. The thing that allways scared me the most was big tabletops with deep ruts in in them cross rutting happened quite often and would lead to far worse crashes / injuries in my experience. But i learned my lessons early on (mainly during 80 / 85cc period when you start to ride on the 'big guys track') stand up on them pegs and commit to hit the jumps while maintaining a certain 'looseness' to let the bike flow into the ruts and you'd be fine smile

|

12/4/2014 2:53 PM

High speed for sure. When you hit the ground so hard your whole body hurts for weeks. Sure you can get injured at any speed, but a high speed body slam and concussion hurt more than a broken ankle. Anybody who says low speed hasn't crashed hard enough IMO lol

|

12/4/2014 2:56 PM

wired4speed wrote:

I don't care if it's high speed or low speed. The one's that hurt me are the one's that body slam me into the ground. As long ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

Yup...nailed it.

Agreed, the ones where the bike launches you out of control, either unpredicted or trying to hold on to long. I got pile driven very low speed into a hill once, head first, no damage, but got to say it's the one I remember that scared me the most.

|

12/4/2014 3:43 PM

Rock you know how hard the dirt is here -- I'm terrified of a high speed crash on this stuff!!

|

12/4/2014 4:16 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I've been hurt in both. Just depends on how you hit the ground or which way your bike throws you off. I have come away ...more

I agree with Jeff, it all depends on how you hit the ground. Josh Coppins did this in practice, and still finished out the day:

Jimmy Button was putting through the whoops in San Diego and ended his career. High speeds definitely look gnarlier, though.
|

12/4/2014 6:32 PM

Would you rather be hit by a stuffed bunny rabbit thrown by a 3yr old in a hissy fit or a baseball bat swung by a 9 digited Jose Canseco ..... ?

|

12/4/2014 7:32 PM

Photo
|

12/4/2014 10:11 PM

Sully wrote:

I agree with Jeff, it all depends on how you hit the ground. Josh Coppins did this in practice, and still finished out the ...more

Thanks for Coppins crash video........DAMN that was ugly! Testament to how sometimes high speed crashes are "safer."

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

12/4/2014 10:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2014 10:18 PM

Anything can bite you. Justin Weeks crash was low speed. Chance can destroy anything.

Was standing right there when that happened, thought he was dead. Scariest thing I've ever seen. Video doesn't make this seem as horrific as it actually was. He was hauling ass.
|

GP740
Since 1987

12/5/2014 3:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2014 3:56 PM

What about the crash you take JUST when you are thinking I can save this?

The 1990 crash at Carlsbad (actually had more than one there) on my CR500 where I fractured my pelvis was a high speed get off. It actually lasted long enough that I had time to think "this is NOT good!" while doing a reverse wheelie crossed up in third gear.

I was right but didn't realize this crash would haunt me to this day with hip issues. Man dirt bikes are fun. LOL

|

Michel Petrucciani

12/5/2014 5:25 PM

High speed ones that you see coming are really bad. Low speed ones that you don't see coming are often worse.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.