Are factory tyres a thing?

Whip
Fantasy
3240th
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 10:02pm
Do top pro's have custom/factory tyres or do they simply get a brand new stock set for each race?

And before someone comments, tyre is spelt with a "y" in the UK (where English was created) Grinning
|
Jrewing
6/12/2018 2:45pm
Yes Dunlop riders do. Not entirely sure on pirelli but their press releases from the gp races tell you what their riders ran in size and style
Gandorlf
6/12/2018 2:46pm
I saw a video on youtube of Daytona behind the scenes,, someone had a Dunlop with Knobs on the outside and paddles on the inside. Like a paddle tyre and a MX3S had a baby. I think it was the Pro Circuit team who had them. I've never seen them for sale anywhere!

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/12/2018 2:51pm
Jrewing wrote:
Yes Dunlop riders do. Not entirely sure on pirelli but their press releases from the gp races tell you what their riders ran in size and...
Yes Dunlop riders do. Not entirely sure on pirelli but their press releases from the gp races tell you what their riders ran in size and style
In 2010 I worked the USGP at Glen Helen for Pirelli and they had their own tires for the factory teams. Otherwise, for privateers, we sold them regular MX32's because that's what they provided for us to sell.
milliebays
6/12/2018 2:51pm
probably super soft compounds, right? maybe more supple sidewalls?

MTB DH race tires run much softer than std trail tires.

Jason Thomas' comments on tubeless tires were interesting. shame it hasn't work out for moto.

The Shop

BobPA
6/12/2018 3:16pm
milliebays wrote:
probably super soft compounds, right? maybe more supple sidewalls? MTB DH race tires run much softer than std trail tires. Jason Thomas' comments on tubeless tires...

Jason Thomas' comments on tubeless tires were interesting. shame it hasn't work out for moto.
The Tubliss system works well for the off-road guys. I know bros who will air down to 5 PSI in the real technical stuff. They are also using an 18” wheel out back. Most do not run it up front, as it does not seem to be as much as an advantage.
HusqFan3
6/12/2018 3:24pm
Can’t belive the OP doesn’t even no how to spel tier corectley?
milliebays
6/12/2018 3:36pm
milliebays wrote:
probably super soft compounds, right? maybe more supple sidewalls? MTB DH race tires run much softer than std trail tires. Jason Thomas' comments on tubeless tires...

BobPA wrote:
The Tubliss system works well for the off-road guys. I know bros who will air down to 5 PSI in the real technical stuff. They are...
The Tubliss system works well for the off-road guys. I know bros who will air down to 5 PSI in the real technical stuff. They are also using an 18” wheel out back. Most do not run it up front, as it does not seem to be as much as an advantage.
siick. seems like itd be a huge advantage on hardpack.
6/12/2018 3:39pm
They usually don't use different tread patterns, but they will use different "special" compounds tailored to the track or rider's preference.
Titan1
6/12/2018 3:42pm
milliebays wrote:

BobPA wrote:
The Tubliss system works well for the off-road guys. I know bros who will air down to 5 PSI in the real technical stuff. They are...
milliebays wrote:
Tubliss is good for off road-trail-riding (maybe east coast scrambles)...but they stink for racing in the desert. I know a ton of guys that bought them...I don't know of anyone-with any amount of speed-still running them in my local desert series. Way to many flats.

Bib Mouses' are king in the desert.
loftyair
6/12/2018 4:04pm
I know Dunlop has the RR, for top-ten dudes. The pirelli is standard. I saw a tire from Barcia go on and off, same as others that bought them. 2 years ago.
6/12/2018 4:40pm
I remember reading that pirelli riders run the same tire that's available to the public. But in this thread, I read different, so who knows. Also remember watching a how to change a tire by windams mechanic? You could tell by the way the sidewall moved that it was an extremely soft compound. Looked like you could have changed it with those little plastic spoons for bmx tires
6/12/2018 4:53pm
Gandorlf wrote:
I saw a video on youtube of Daytona behind the scenes,, someone had a Dunlop with Knobs on the outside and paddles on the inside. Like...
I saw a video on youtube of Daytona behind the scenes,, someone had a Dunlop with Knobs on the outside and paddles on the inside. Like a paddle tyre and a MX3S had a baby. I think it was the Pro Circuit team who had them. I've never seen them for sale anywhere!

Look up the MX12. Im guessing thats what you seen on the PC bikes.
Homey55
6/12/2018 4:57pm
Does anyone remember when James used a factory Dunlop with Pirelli stickers on it at Anaheim? Dunlop quickly repo'd the tire but Pirelly got a hold of some "works" Dunlops for a while and advanced their product.
BobPA
6/12/2018 4:59pm
milliebays wrote:

BobPA wrote:
milliebays wrote:
Never even thought of that. I know it is a huge advantage in the technical slippery stuff. High speed GNCC style racing I do not think it would be worth it. I have ridden a few bikes with bibs on an MX track...and they were pretty squirrely.

If you get a flat, a regular tire plug usually fixes it pretty quick.
tempura
6/12/2018 5:59pm
Yes, they do.
In this pic (from the Japanese national at the weekend), shorty after the race, a Dunlop and Showa Tech guy arrived at the Honda pits, clip board in hand, waiting to talk to Notsuka. They don’t just simply hand them a new set of tyres. They are tweaked using the feedback.
You can see Notsuka in the background, talking to the Dunlop guy.

Knobbyjake
6/12/2018 9:55pm
I got one of Jeff Stanton's Dunlops from Skip Norfolk at High Point a few years back. No markings on it at all. Skip said it was a one off for Jeff. Doesn't have much wear after only one moto. Wish I had thought of asking Stanton to sign it.
6/12/2018 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 10:09pm
Mechanic for a privateer in 2010, my rider would get a Dunlop from a factory rider that he used for the heat race. Would use it for the main, said it was a big difference over a new off the shelf Dunlop.
tcallahan707
6/12/2018 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 11:21pm
Mechanic for a privateer in 2010, my rider would get a Dunlop from a factory rider that he used for the heat race. Would use it...
Mechanic for a privateer in 2010, my rider would get a Dunlop from a factory rider that he used for the heat race. Would use it for the main, said it was a big difference over a new off the shelf Dunlop.
Must of been putting in some finishes to get his hands on a spec tire as a privateer.

Edit. Misread. Hand me down. Still, those things aren’t easy to get your hands on.
mark911
6/12/2018 11:25pm
Traction is the obvious variable but don't forget that the pneumatic tire is an essential and tunable part of the overall suspension system. The major manufactures can one-off tires with specific stiffness and damping characteristics to better suit an individual bike or rider.
6/13/2018 3:14am
Jrewing wrote:
Yes Dunlop riders do. Not entirely sure on pirelli but their press releases from the gp races tell you what their riders ran in size and...
Around 4-5 years ago I was selling 300+ Pirelli tyres a year. Word from the factory was that Pirelli was the only tyre manufacturer who raced at GPs the very same tyre they sold to their consumer.
Whether true or not I cannot argue with..
I remember them saying the MS32 was Everts' favourite from the range and the MH454 was Tommy Searle's favourite.
Jrewing
6/13/2018 4:05am
Jrewing wrote:
Around 4-5 years ago I was selling 300+ Pirelli tyres a year. Word from the factory was that Pirelli was the only tyre manufacturer who raced...
Around 4-5 years ago I was selling 300+ Pirelli tyres a year. Word from the factory was that Pirelli was the only tyre manufacturer who raced at GPs the very same tyre they sold to their consumer.
I remember them saying the MS32 was Everts' favourite from the range and the MH454 was Tommy Searle's favourite.
The 454 was a great tyre much better than the 554
GangGreen
6/13/2018 4:07am
They usually don't use different tread patterns, but they will use different "special" compounds tailored to the track or rider's preference.
And they are significantly lighter. "Unsprung weight", is the most important kind.
ehr400
6/13/2018 4:14am
GangGreen wrote:
And they are significantly lighter. "Unsprung weight", is the most important kind.
^^^This is a biggie, I had a "works" tire from Dunlop on a BTO bike I bought that used to be Byrnes. Lasted one practice day, and according to Clark Stiles he was surprised it lasted that long. Tire compound was different too, thing had traction everywhere. This was a MX51 front and rear, had just dunlop on the side and size and hand paint marker written some abbreveation on it. Clark asked how the hell I got these tires. Lol.
6/13/2018 4:30am
Jrewing wrote:
Around 4-5 years ago I was selling 300+ Pirelli tyres a year. Word from the factory was that Pirelli was the only tyre manufacturer who raced...
Jrewing wrote:
The 454 was a great tyre much better than the 554
Pirelli UK changed the trading terms- more units/less profit, so I dropped them. Have sold barely a handful of Pirellis since. In the UK bridgestone are beginning a bit of a push right now. Trading terms are good. Tyres are good.
ando
6/13/2018 4:45am
I read a story that Dan Reardon’s mechanic told about his time in the US racing SX.

He was on a satellite team of some description, and during free practice and first qualifying he was showing some promising times. Prior to the second qualifying, a couple of tyre manufacturer guys came over to the team with a set of works tyres. They changed the tyres on the bike, with the instructions that no-one else was allowed to touch them. Dan went out and immediately took two seconds off his previous best time with no other changes to the bike. When he came back in, the tyre dudes went over to the bike, took their tyres off, and walked off.
Donovan759
6/13/2018 5:07am
HusqFan3 wrote:
Not sure if your baiting or just a complete moran.
HusqFan3
6/13/2018 7:39am
HusqFan3 wrote:
Donovan759 wrote:
When 6 out of the 11 words in a sentence about spelling are misspelled, i think it’s safe to assume the former. For the record, I’d never really call someone out of their spelling in an MX forum unless say for example they misspelled the word “moron” when taking a shot at someone’s intelligence; )
bvm111
6/13/2018 8:00am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 8:02am
HusqFan3 wrote:
Donovan759 wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
When 6 out of the 11 words in a sentence about spelling are misspelled, i think it’s safe to assume the former. For the record, I’d...
When 6 out of the 11 words in a sentence about spelling are misspelled, i think it’s safe to assume the former. For the record, I’d never really call someone out of their spelling in an MX forum unless say for example they misspelled the word “moron” when taking a shot at someone’s intelligence; )
This will always be funny ... newb Tongue

Post a reply to: Are factory tyres a thing?

The Latest