Are dealer “freight” fees legit?

philG
2/6/2021 4:33am
Titan1. wrote:
On the numbers...I was shopping out the door at all the dealers...without a trade in...just for apples to apples. Once I got their out the door...
On the numbers...I was shopping out the door at all the dealers...without a trade in...just for apples to apples.

Once I got their out the door number...then I started talking trade (I was still considering selling it myself dpending on what a dealer would offer. I didn't haggle on the trade, I just let each dealer give me their number)...I like to trade bikes in because I don't have to deal with selling them, and, I only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the purchase price of the new bike...so it reduces the OTD price of the bike a bit.

I figure I could have sold my bike for about $7K - $7500...the dealer gave me $6500...so that saved me $480 in sales tax (I only had to pay 7.3% on $3600, rather than 7.3% on $10,150)...so its the same as selling the bike myself for $6980. So it may have cost me a few hundred bucks...but the time and hassle saved in not having to sell it, made it well worth it to me.

Would I have rather avoided those extra fees and paid $9867.85 OTD, rather than $10,600 out the door...YES! BUT, its a seller market...the dealers know they will sell every single one of them they can get in their door...so they know they don't have to negotiate...I know that, and they know that I know that...I'm the one that chose to buy right now...so it is what it is.

I'm excited...new bike day next week! And new bike days are some of the best days...
You clearly dont get it.. OTD price is irrelevant when you trade. Its the price to swap. OTD matters when you have money, but when you have a trade in the deal hinges around your trade. So price of the bike is MSRRP for the knew one , and then you get a value for your bike , and the difference between the two prices is the deal...

So unless the first guy you phoned knows you have a trade , you didnt get his deal, did you.. he might have valued your bike better than the other guy.

Just shows that you dont get how it works... best price is to sell straight out, the 'deal' is the price to go in with one and leave with the other. You dont get that price unless the dealer sees your bike.
LKHill
2/6/2021 4:59am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2021 5:01am
All the gurus that think the dealers should exist i got a q for you, do factory teams order their bikes through dealers? Yes or no...
All the gurus that think the dealers should exist i got a q for you, do factory teams order their bikes through dealers? Yes or no? If the dont they know something!

And yes at titan, the dude that works there literally bought his son a 250sxf at dealer cost, cause he is the salesman, he paid 6k cash! Bike was new in crate!
Dude, I got news for you. Not every buyer can tear his bike down to the main shaft. What that means for the haters is there would be no dirt bikes because 80% of the buyers could not service their bikes.

As other have stated Dirt bikes don't keep the dealerships open. How many street bike owners(keeping the dealers open) need dealer service? If you eliminate the thieving dealers you eliminate the sport by cutting off your own balls.

Morans I tell you.
8tensolutions
2/6/2021 6:26am
Titan1. wrote:
On the numbers...I was shopping out the door at all the dealers...without a trade in...just for apples to apples. Once I got their out the door...
On the numbers...I was shopping out the door at all the dealers...without a trade in...just for apples to apples.

Once I got their out the door number...then I started talking trade (I was still considering selling it myself dpending on what a dealer would offer. I didn't haggle on the trade, I just let each dealer give me their number)...I like to trade bikes in because I don't have to deal with selling them, and, I only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the purchase price of the new bike...so it reduces the OTD price of the bike a bit.

I figure I could have sold my bike for about $7K - $7500...the dealer gave me $6500...so that saved me $480 in sales tax (I only had to pay 7.3% on $3600, rather than 7.3% on $10,150)...so its the same as selling the bike myself for $6980. So it may have cost me a few hundred bucks...but the time and hassle saved in not having to sell it, made it well worth it to me.

Would I have rather avoided those extra fees and paid $9867.85 OTD, rather than $10,600 out the door...YES! BUT, its a seller market...the dealers know they will sell every single one of them they can get in their door...so they know they don't have to negotiate...I know that, and they know that I know that...I'm the one that chose to buy right now...so it is what it is.

I'm excited...new bike day next week! And new bike days are some of the best days...
philG wrote:
You clearly dont get it.. OTD price is irrelevant when you trade. Its the price to swap. OTD matters when you have money, but when you...
You clearly dont get it.. OTD price is irrelevant when you trade. Its the price to swap. OTD matters when you have money, but when you have a trade in the deal hinges around your trade. So price of the bike is MSRRP for the knew one , and then you get a value for your bike , and the difference between the two prices is the deal...

So unless the first guy you phoned knows you have a trade , you didnt get his deal, did you.. he might have valued your bike better than the other guy.

Just shows that you dont get how it works... best price is to sell straight out, the 'deal' is the price to go in with one and leave with the other. You dont get that price unless the dealer sees your bike.
In this case I agree with Titan. He does "get it". At the end of the day, he was happy with the "trade difference", Getting the best price on the bike first makes him able to see the "real money" they are giving him for the trade. This is absolutely the best way to buy a car, truck, or bike if you have a trade.

Titan1.
2/6/2021 6:44am
Titan1. wrote:

philG wrote:
You clearly dont get it.. OTD price is irrelevant when you trade. Its the price to swap. OTD matters when you have money, but when you...

I shopped out the door on the new bike and trade on the old bike at all the shops. I factored both into my decision and I got the lowest out of pocket costs between the two.

The dealer at $10,900 was also only $5800 on the trade.

The dealer at $11,600 was $6600 on the trade.

I went with the dealer at $11,100 and $6500 on the trade...because they were the lowest out of pocket cost for me and therefore the cheapest.

What am I missing?

The Shop

philG
2/6/2021 7:04am
In this case I agree with Titan. He does "get it". At the end of the day, he was happy with the "trade difference", Getting the...
In this case I agree with Titan. He does "get it". At the end of the day, he was happy with the "trade difference", Getting the best price on the bike first makes him able to see the "real money" they are giving him for the trade. This is absolutely the best way to buy a car, truck, or bike if you have a trade.

No, you dont get it either.

The price of neither item matters , only the difference, so he could have quoted the guy $4000 OTD and given him $350 for the trade.. Thats $3650 to swap.. Thats the deal.

I have lost deals in the past cos we were $500 light on the trade, when our new bike was $1000 cheaper than the other dealer... all he could see , was that his bike was worth $500 more with the other guy, he didnt get that he would be paying the guy $500 more to leave with the same bike.

At that point you decide they arent worth any amount of money , and move on.

And when they turn up with the trade, and you appraise it, and the deal changes by $500 because despite it being clean, the tyres are done, it needs a chain and sprocket kit, and pads and a rear disc, and thats just the stuff that leaps out at you .. the closer you look, the worse it gets, rads are tweaked, and repaired... and they still expect top dollar.

So Titan should have said ' I have a 19 450X, whats it gonna cost to get on a 21' .. thats it .

Of course , there is only a $500 deposit, so if the rest is financed, they could be having money out of that too... which adds another dimension, as then , only the monthly matter, the rest is irrelevant.

So if you turn up with your bike, and $500, and leave with a new one paying $200/mo thats a better deal than paying $225 , irrespective of the price of either bike.

Our competition used to undercut by $200 on the price, and wang it up on the finance, so even though it looked cheaper, they were paying more per month, because the rate was 3% higher.

8tensolutions
2/6/2021 7:07am
In this case I agree with Titan. He does "get it". At the end of the day, he was happy with the "trade difference", Getting the...

philG wrote:
No, you dont get it either. The price of neither item matters , only the difference, so he could have quoted the guy $4000 OTD and...

The price of neither item matters , only the difference, so he could have quoted the guy $4000 OTD and given him $350 for the trade.. Thats $3650 to swap.. Thats the deal.

I have lost deals in the past cos we were $500 light on the trade, when our new bike was $1000 cheaper than the other dealer... all he could see , was that his bike was worth $500 more with the other guy, he didnt get that he would be paying the guy $500 more to leave with the same bike.

And when they turn up with the trade, and you appraise it, and the deal changes by $500 because despite it being clean, the tyres are done, it needs a chain and sprocket kit, and pads and a rear disc, and thats just the stuff that leaps out at you .. the closer you look, the worse it gets, rads are tweaked, and repaired... and they still expect top dollar.

So Titan should have said ' I have a 19 450X, whats it gonna cost to get on a 21' .. thats it .

Of course , there is only a $500 deposit, so if the rest is financed, they could be having money out of that too... which adds another dimension, as then , only the monthly matter, the rest is irrelevant.

So if you turn up with your bike, and $500, and leave with a new one paying $200/mo thats a better deal than paying $225 , irrespective of the price of either bike.

Our competition used to undercut by $200 on the price, and wang it up on the finance, so even though it looked cheaper, they were paying more per month, because the rate was 3% higher.

Nah, I get it now. You are looking at it as a dealer and once the customer gets there its up to you to educate them as to why they should buy from you. I am looking at it as a customer.
Forty
2/6/2021 7:37am
Titan1. wrote:
I bought a new 2021 YZ450FX today...I shopped around at 4 dealers within about 100 miles of me...two of them had bikes in stock...two of them...
I bought a new 2021 YZ450FX today...I shopped around at 4 dealers within about 100 miles of me...two of them had bikes in stock...two of them didn't.

I was quoted OTD prices anywhere from $10,900 to $11,600.

The $10,900 didn't have one...The one I ended up going with was the $11,100 OTD.

The $11,600 dealer was the closest to my house...I asked them if they'd match the $11,100...they wouldn't. So I walked. (Otherwise I didn't haggle over price with the dealers.. I just hoped the one closest to my house would come down so I couldn't have to drive an extra 20 minutes further...but I get why they didn't).

Then I traded in my 19 YZ450FX...I got trade in quotes anywhere from $5800 to $6600.

The dealer I picked was $11,100 OTD...and gave me $6500 on trade.

After the trade my OTD cost was $10,600. (Since the trade reduced the sales tax).

I ended up paying a bunch of fees over invoice...not thrilled about it...but its a sellers market right now...

At the end of the day...I'm excited to get my new bike next week (once they get it out of the warehouse, and put it together)...now if only it would stop snowing.

I’d like to have had a crack at your trade bike for that $. It must have been clean.
Timo
2/6/2021 7:43am
Well last year i bought a 19 ktm 350sxf left over otd in march, and it was $7000.00 otd they waived the prep, (cause i had...
Well last year i bought a 19 ktm 350sxf left over otd in march, and it was $7000.00 otd they waived the prep, (cause i had it shipped to me) and they said the doc fee was included in the 7k.

This year i call around to find new Ktm 350sxf and not one dealer is under 11,200 otd

So instead i went to ATV’s and MOR and bought a 2021 KTM250SX for 8k otd, they waived prep fee!

Just doc fee! $220.00

Im cool with paying that this time around cause i know dealers that are selling 2020 left over 250sx bikes for 8699.00

Since thats the case that means i can pay 8200 for my 2021 and next year sell it for the same amount if not $200.00 and it only will cost me $200.00-$400.00 to own the bike and ride it for a whole year!

So, to recapp, find a dealer you are capable to work with and get in good with salesman and let them let you know when the rebates come alive and TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT.

Remember sometimes the doc fee could be their commission so dont bitch about paying it, if your returning to that dealer in future.
Who is paying $8000 for a year old race bike? I've got some "new" used parts I can sell them as well...
2/6/2021 8:21am
Nice that your state gives credit on a trade for taxes. In RI that only applies to cars. Even street bikes get no credit for sales tax paid on a street bike trade.
philG
2/6/2021 9:13am
Nah, I get it now. You are looking at it as a dealer and once the customer gets there its up to you to educate them...
Nah, I get it now. You are looking at it as a dealer and once the customer gets there its up to you to educate them as to why they should buy from you. I am looking at it as a customer.
Exactly.

Where we used to score, ( and my buddy still does) is that if you do the finance right and make just a bit, when they want to trade after 12 months, they can settle the outstanding balance easily, and trade and just keep the same payments.

Titan1.
2/6/2021 9:36am

philG wrote:
No, you dont get it either. The price of neither item matters , only the difference, so he could have quoted the guy $4000 OTD and...

I dont understand how that isn’t exactly what I did?

Their OTD price - the trade amount = what I pay out of pocket...the lower out of pocket the better the deal...

It seems to me we are getting the same answer but possibly going about the math in two different ways...(like I’m saying 4X3=12...and you are saying 6X2=12...two ways of looking at it, but the same answer.)

And I’m paying cash...no financing. I made a deposit so they’d hold it until I can get over to the dealer the beginning of next week.

Honestly, If I’m doing it wrong and didn’t get the best deal...I’d love for you to educate me further on this.
Titan1.
2/6/2021 9:41am
Titan1. wrote:
I bought a new 2021 YZ450FX today...I shopped around at 4 dealers within about 100 miles of me...two of them had bikes in stock...two of them...
I bought a new 2021 YZ450FX today...I shopped around at 4 dealers within about 100 miles of me...two of them had bikes in stock...two of them didn't.

I was quoted OTD prices anywhere from $10,900 to $11,600.

The $10,900 didn't have one...The one I ended up going with was the $11,100 OTD.

The $11,600 dealer was the closest to my house...I asked them if they'd match the $11,100...they wouldn't. So I walked. (Otherwise I didn't haggle over price with the dealers.. I just hoped the one closest to my house would come down so I couldn't have to drive an extra 20 minutes further...but I get why they didn't).

Then I traded in my 19 YZ450FX...I got trade in quotes anywhere from $5800 to $6600.

The dealer I picked was $11,100 OTD...and gave me $6500 on trade.

After the trade my OTD cost was $10,600. (Since the trade reduced the sales tax).

I ended up paying a bunch of fees over invoice...not thrilled about it...but its a sellers market right now...

At the end of the day...I'm excited to get my new bike next week (once they get it out of the warehouse, and put it together)...now if only it would stop snowing.

Forty wrote:
I’d like to have had a crack at your trade bike for that $. It must have been clean.
It’s very clean...46 hours. It’s a great bike! I just wanted a new one.
Titan1.
2/6/2021 9:48am
Here are some pics of the trade...

Titan1.
2/6/2021 9:58am
All the gurus that think the dealers should exist i got a q for you, do factory teams order their bikes through dealers? Yes or no...
All the gurus that think the dealers should exist i got a q for you, do factory teams order their bikes through dealers? Yes or no? If the dont they know something!

And yes at titan, the dude that works there literally bought his son a 250sxf at dealer cost, cause he is the salesman, he paid 6k cash! Bike was new in crate!
LKHill wrote:
Dude, I got news for you. Not every buyer can tear his bike down to the main shaft. What that means for the haters is there...
Dude, I got news for you. Not every buyer can tear his bike down to the main shaft. What that means for the haters is there would be no dirt bikes because 80% of the buyers could not service their bikes.

As other have stated Dirt bikes don't keep the dealerships open. How many street bike owners(keeping the dealers open) need dealer service? If you eliminate the thieving dealers you eliminate the sport by cutting off your own balls.

Morans I tell you.
There are plenty of independent shops around with qualified techs who do the service on all of my bikes (faster and for less money that any dealer around). To say bikes wouldn’t get serviced without dealers isn’t looking at the full picture.

But still, OEM’s would have to have a presence in the markets they are doing business in do handle recalls etc....so dealers would/could morph into service centers that would be owned by the manufacturer rather than individually dealerships.
APLMAN99
2/6/2021 10:25am
Titan1. wrote:

philG wrote:

In Titan’s original description it does appear that he “controlled” for his trade value pretty well. It may not be the same way that you would have done it, but it seems valid to me.

Sounds like he negotiated or at least received a quote from each dealer as if it were a standalone deal. After receiving that “OTD” number, he then introduced the trade and each of them gave their trade offer without changing their “cash” price for the bike. At that point it’s pretty easy to do the calculations for the “difference and if one dealer had a slightly higher cost for the new bike but a substantially higher offer on his trade, it would be easy to see that advantage in the numbers.

He basically treated the issue like 2 separate transactions and calculated the total effect of both transactions on his wallet.

Some of the numbers didn’t look correct to me last night because I was extremely tired and obviously don’t have the quote sheets from each of the dealers in front of me, but the method he used seems to be pretty sound.

The best part of the story is hearing that the dealer was honest and legit and didn’t try it pull the ol’ “That unit sold just before you got here but I can get you one just like it for only $500 more!” deal on him!!!!!
philG
2/6/2021 10:48am

philG wrote:

Titan1. wrote:
I dont understand how that isn’t exactly what I did? Their OTD price - the trade amount = what I pay out of pocket...the lower out...

Their OTD price - the trade amount = what I pay out of pocket...the lower out of pocket the better the deal...

It seems to me we are getting the same answer but possibly going about the math in two different ways...(like I’m saying 4X3=12...and you are saying 6X2=12...two ways of looking at it, but the same answer.)

And I’m paying cash...no financing. I made a deposit so they’d hold it until I can get over to the dealer the beginning of next week.

Honestly, If I’m doing it wrong and didn’t get the best deal...I’d love for you to educate me further on this.
Because the deal, as i said, is the price to swap.

But you are agreeing with me... the 2 numbers mean nothing, only the difference... so finding the lowest OTD price is irrelevant.

As a dealer, if you have a good clean bike that i can retail out straight away , or even have someone waiting for, i want to know that straight away.

This is where your smaller dealer comes into his own, because he will stand taller for used stuff, because he will sell it better than the huge dealer, who just wants to move units for volume bonus.

My point is that if you are going to trade, that is where you open, else its meaningless.

And only paying tax on the difference seems dumb to me, here in the UK, the tax is on the value of the new price, irrespective of whether you trade.. i dont get that bit at all.

Titan1.
2/6/2021 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2021 1:12pm
philG wrote:

Titan1. wrote:
I dont understand how that isn’t exactly what I did? Their OTD price - the trade amount = what I pay out of pocket...the lower out...

philG wrote:
Because the deal, as i said, is the price to swap. But you are agreeing with me... the 2 numbers mean nothing, only the difference... so...

But you are agreeing with me... the 2 numbers mean nothing, only the difference... so finding the lowest OTD price is irrelevant.

As a dealer, if you have a good clean bike that i can retail out straight away , or even have someone waiting for, i want to know that straight away.

This is where your smaller dealer comes into his own, because he will stand taller for used stuff, because he will sell it better than the huge dealer, who just wants to move units for volume bonus.

My point is that if you are going to trade, that is where you open, else its meaningless.

And only paying tax on the difference seems dumb to me, here in the UK, the tax is on the value of the new price, irrespective of whether you trade.. i dont get that bit at all.

Yes...I did exactly what you are saying. I went about calculating the math different than you, or asking the questions different than you would have, but I did exactly as you described.

I asked each dealer what they could do on trade and what they could do OTD on the new bike...and the difference was what I cared about.

I was looking for highest trade value, and lowest OTD sale price...I found the best combo of the two which meant my out of pocket was the lowest.

The reason I didn’t just say “I have this bike for trade what will it take to get me into a 21?” Is because I still had the option of selling it on my own...and I needed to know the trade in value so I could compare that to what I thought I could get selling it myself. I’m all about the convenience of a trade, but the price of that convenience is what I have to know to help me make my decision.

And the tax on the difference may seem dumb, but I’ll take it as it saves me money. I know not all states do it this way. But I don’t complain.
tk2stroke
2/6/2021 12:24pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I have to laugh at the prep charge to “build” the bike. You uncrate the bike with a drill and that takes 5 minutes maximum if...
I have to laugh at the prep charge to “build” the bike. You uncrate the bike with a drill and that takes 5 minutes maximum if you take your time. Then you throw on the bars, front fender and front wheel, check coolant and oil and finish off with checking some nuts and bolts. Two hours max(if the mechanic is slow) and shops charge $400-$1000 for this “prep” for each bike. That’s outrageous. Most shops charge $95 per hour and only pay the mechanic $15-$20 per hour.
"I have to laugh" when I read blatant naiveness. In this case it's a certainly this individual has never owned or run a sustainable business.
three9zero
2/6/2021 12:36pm
$ 3600 and Titan got a brand new bike, congrats on your new scooter.
Titan1.
2/6/2021 1:17pm
three9zero wrote:
$ 3600 and Titan got a brand new bike, congrats on your new scooter.
Thanks bro!

It was $4100 (after my $500 deposit)...but still...to be out of pocket $4100 on a new bike...and do that every year to year and a half to two years sure seems affordable.
APLMAN99
2/6/2021 3:23pm
philG wrote:

Titan1. wrote:

philG wrote:
Because the deal, as i said, is the price to swap. But you are agreeing with me... the 2 numbers mean nothing, only the difference... so...

In Titan's real life example, it made no difference whether he told them that he had a trade first. No matter the standalone price of the new bike, if a dealer really felt that his bike was "a good clean bike that (they) can retail out straight away , or even have someone waiting for" then that dealer had the opportunity to pay more for his trade before a deal was done.

Your point would absolutely be valid if Titan only took the quote with the lowest initial "OTD" price, but he didn't. Based on his numbers, the dealer with the lowest standalone "OTD" price didn't actually have one, and the next best quote was $200 higher. His trade-in offers had only one offer better, by $100, which was presumably not from the same dealer who didn't have the new bike in the first place but had the lowest standalone offer. So all things being said, his math is certainly "close enough".

Obviously the used bike market is absolutely topsy turvy right now, but in a "normal" time you could probably use a published 'blue book trade in' value as a benchmark for his trade in offers and subtract every dollar that he was offered over that amount from the asking price of the new bike, but really that's just overkill and the market really isn't stable enough to do that.

Basically, he got a good deal because he's happy with it. That's really all that matters.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
2/6/2021 3:38pm
Mental accounting tortures you.

Just negotiate an acceptable total price with a dealer you feel good about.

There are mills that want to churn every last dime out of a transaction, but you can get a feel for that pretty quickly just buying some afternarket stuff or parts for an old bike before deciding if you want to drop money for a bike or even talk to them about that. The attitude at the parts counter usually reflects the operation in my experience.
philG
2/6/2021 4:20pm
Titan1. wrote:

philG wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
In Titan's real life example, it made no difference whether he told them that he had a trade first. No matter the standalone price of the...
In Titan's real life example, it made no difference whether he told them that he had a trade first. No matter the standalone price of the new bike, if a dealer really felt that his bike was "a good clean bike that (they) can retail out straight away , or even have someone waiting for" then that dealer had the opportunity to pay more for his trade before a deal was done.

Your point would absolutely be valid if Titan only took the quote with the lowest initial "OTD" price, but he didn't. Based on his numbers, the dealer with the lowest standalone "OTD" price didn't actually have one, and the next best quote was $200 higher. His trade-in offers had only one offer better, by $100, which was presumably not from the same dealer who didn't have the new bike in the first place but had the lowest standalone offer. So all things being said, his math is certainly "close enough".

Obviously the used bike market is absolutely topsy turvy right now, but in a "normal" time you could probably use a published 'blue book trade in' value as a benchmark for his trade in offers and subtract every dollar that he was offered over that amount from the asking price of the new bike, but really that's just overkill and the market really isn't stable enough to do that.

Basically, he got a good deal because he's happy with it. That's really all that matters.
If he was happy, surely he wouldnt have started the thread

But seriously, his old bike looked sweet, i am, sure his new one will be too.
Titan1.
2/6/2021 4:51pm
philG wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
In Titan's real life example, it made no difference whether he told them that he had a trade first. No matter the standalone price of the...

philG wrote:
If he was happy, surely he wouldnt have started the thread But seriously, his old bike looked sweet, i am, sure his new one will be...
If he was happy, surely he wouldnt have started the thread

But seriously, his old bike looked sweet, i am, sure his new one will be too.
The thread was started because I was asking a question...it was answered (it’s a legit fee). Since then it evolved into something different.

But not being happy about this purchase wasn’t the point of the thread...

Am I happy about paying anything but MSRP plus tax, title and license? No...I’d also love to pay below MSRP...but I also know that there is more demand than supply...so dealers are in the drivers seat. And if I want a new bike, then I don’t have much choice either. Dealers charge them because they can.

Even so, the price I pay (or the fees that are or are not included in that price) is irrelevant as to my feeling about dealers...In that I’d much rather not have to deal with them, and just buy online direct from the OEM. Again, that was a tangent the thread took from the original question.
LKHill
2/7/2021 12:29am
Titan1. wrote:
The thread was started because I was asking a question...it was answered (it’s a legit fee). Since then it evolved into something different. But not being...
The thread was started because I was asking a question...it was answered (it’s a legit fee). Since then it evolved into something different.

Am I happy about paying anything but MSRP plus tax, title and license? No...I’d also love to pay below MSRP...but I also know that there is more demand than supply...so dealers are in the drivers seat. And if I want a new bike, then I don’t have much choice either. Dealers charge them because they can.

Even so, the price I pay (or the fees that are or are not included in that price) is irrelevant as to my feeling about dealers...In that I’d much rather not have to deal with them, and just buy online direct from the OEM. Again, that was a tangent the thread took from the original question.
If that was the case then why would you trade a bike in? I guess at the end of the day you really do need a dealer. lol!
sandtrack315
2/7/2021 4:01am
I had considered doing a trade in for tax reasons too but ended up selling on my own. I will take this more seriously next time around. I always do this with my cars. You end up about even minus a few headaches, so long as you keep your bike or car in good condition.
2/7/2021 4:39am
Im so lost of how these people in this thread are saying 8k for the bike i purchased when i 7 otd,

There saying it included a rebate lmao, what dealership would put a rebate on a 1year old new inventory stock,

And that comment of who is payin 8 k for a year old race bike, lmfao, cause that bike went up in value by 3k lmao, go buy a 2020-2021 350sxf and see what otd price is, bet its 11,200 regardless of year old or not, also betigotsumweed.
Titan1.
2/7/2021 4:51am
Titan1. wrote:
The thread was started because I was asking a question...it was answered (it’s a legit fee). Since then it evolved into something different. But not being...

LKHill wrote:
If that was the case then why would you trade a bike in? I guess at the end of the day you really do need a...
If that was the case then why would you trade a bike in? I guess at the end of the day you really do need a dealer. lol!
Need? No...I traded because I could. Not because I needed to. I very easily could have sold it on my own...but because of the tax laws in my state (not because is anything the dealer did) in some situations it makes sense to trade, this was one of those situations.
LKHill
2/7/2021 5:14am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2021 5:26am
Titan1. wrote:
Need? No...I traded because I could. Not because I needed to. I very easily could have sold it on my own...but because of the tax laws...
Need? No...I traded because I could. Not because I needed to. I very easily could have sold it on my own...but because of the tax laws in my state (not because is anything the dealer did) in some situations it makes sense to trade, this was one of those situations.
After listening to your rant about dealers and hearing your actions I would say your a full blown hypocrite.

" I honestly look forward to the day I can just buy a bike online directly from the manufacturer and have it delivered to my house) so all other “value” dealers can claim to provide aren’t factors in my decision....so buying a bike is all about price to me....because that is literally all I need the dealer for (selling the bike). "

Me, If I made a statement about not wanting or needing dealers such as you the last thing I would be doing Is putting myself in a better situation than I would be without their existence by using one for my benefit.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
2/7/2021 7:36am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2021 9:36am
I like a good deal, but I’ve always enjoyed riding more.

I wonder some times if these discussions are about hating to spend money as much as not liking the inreasing cost of bikes. People had these OTD fees discussions back in the 70s, so that hasn’t changed. Maybe it’s just personality. Nothing wrong with hating to spend money, but it doesn't seem necessary to add a disgruntlement tax to something that in the big picture exists purely for fun..

Post a reply to: Are dealer “freight” fees legit?

The Latest