Are Triples the Modern Day Shark Tank?

Johnny Depp
2/19/2018 9:24am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 12:33am
It seems they have eaten 2 riders in 2 weeks? Everyone laughs, but this sport is eating it's own.

An attempt was made this week to move tuff blocks, great pro-active move. That didn't solve anything. Now What?
|
bball35
2/19/2018 9:24am
Yes
kary
2/19/2018 9:33am
Are you talking about that ?

iBobbyb
2/19/2018 9:37am
how long have triples been in SX? and weve had how many total incidents? talk about a witch hunt...

the same things could happen in a rhythm if guys are doing it differently. Js7 jumped on the back of a guy a few years ago in a rhythm section, so we should take those out too.
Johnny Depp
2/19/2018 9:45am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 9:46am
Safety is paramount to this sport's success. Parents are pulling their kids out of all sorts of sports due to injury risk, including concussion. It's a stated objective that SX is hoping to sell more bikes. Rider after rider leaving in a meat wagon, or coming out with a cast on, and 1st turn mayhem is going to have the opposite effect, it is chasing potential dirt bike families away from the sport. Every local track does the monkey see monkey do and has huge jumps and ruts, with rider's (paying customer's) leaving the sport due to injuries or fear of them. Call me chicken if you want, but this sport is at a crossroads.

The Shop

twotwosix
2/19/2018 9:50am
Single, Double. Keeps you from dying.
2/19/2018 10:13am
Safety is paramount to this sport's success. Parents are pulling their kids out of all sorts of sports due to injury risk, including concussion. It's a...
Safety is paramount to this sport's success. Parents are pulling their kids out of all sorts of sports due to injury risk, including concussion. It's a stated objective that SX is hoping to sell more bikes. Rider after rider leaving in a meat wagon, or coming out with a cast on, and 1st turn mayhem is going to have the opposite effect, it is chasing potential dirt bike families away from the sport. Every local track does the monkey see monkey do and has huge jumps and ruts, with rider's (paying customer's) leaving the sport due to injuries or fear of them. Call me chicken if you want, but this sport is at a crossroads.
This is extremely valid.

I’m 100% with ya Depp. Your posts on this and related topics have been spot on imo.
TeamGreen
2/19/2018 10:18am
twotwosix wrote:
Single, Double. Keeps you from dying.
There it is!
ATKpilot99
2/19/2018 10:23am
Triples became a regular feature in SX in the late 80s.
kkawboy14
2/19/2018 10:40am
Make......them......bigger 120’
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
2/19/2018 10:44am
Big Barcia fan but that was on him. He was out front and totally botched the rhythm leading up to the triple. If that was a long table-top and he backed off the same result could have happened.
Bultaco
2/19/2018 12:05pm
Injury rate should be #1 concern in the Feld board room. If only because less than half the season is complete and 18+ riders, many of which are front runners, are already out. Feld learned last year that without lions and tigers, they don't have a circus. Just saying.
kb228
2/19/2018 12:09pm
I think they should be bigger. The reason riders crash is their own wrong doing.
2/19/2018 12:15pm
Bultaco wrote:
Injury rate should be #1 concern in the Feld board room. If only because less than half the season is complete and 18+ riders, many of...
Injury rate should be #1 concern in the Feld board room. If only because less than half the season is complete and 18+ riders, many of which are front runners, are already out. Feld learned last year that without lions and tigers, they don't have a circus. Just saying.
You mean to tell me that fans show up to see the stars?

All this time I thought they came to see Johnny Privateer and worthless heat races.
Doddy
2/19/2018 12:29pm
Safety is paramount to this sport's success. Parents are pulling their kids out of all sorts of sports due to injury risk, including concussion. It's a...
Due to who will actually line up, it is highly doubtful we show up at Seattle. Also, this is exactly why my kid isn't hitting the track for quite a few years. Perhaps I too am a chicken. I feel like we are not watching a race at times, more of people trying survive. Can't watch a good race without someone getting seriously messed up. It is getting old, then again so am I.
TeamGreen
2/19/2018 12:52pm
seth505 wrote:
Big Barcia fan but that was on him. He was out front and totally botched the rhythm leading up to the triple. If that was a...
Big Barcia fan but that was on him. He was out front and totally botched the rhythm leading up to the triple. If that was a long table-top and he backed off the same result could have happened.
Real-World analyst skills are not allowed on the interwebz.

When you see an RMZ w/ “Vital” on the front fender and a fat old dude on it...come on over and say,”hey!”
2/19/2018 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 1:01pm
seth505 wrote:
Big Barcia fan but that was on him. He was out front and totally botched the rhythm leading up to the triple. If that was a...
TeamGreen wrote:
Real-World analyst skills are not allowed on the interwebz. When you see an RMZ w/ “Vital” on the front fender and a fat old dude on...

When you see an RMZ w/ “Vital” on the front fender and a fat old dude on it...come on over and say,”hey!”
I keep looking for ya every time I ride. You’re easily one of my favorite people on this site. Eventually we will cross paths. And I know you’ll love the crew I ride with.
kkawboy14
2/19/2018 1:09pm
seth505 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Real-World analyst skills are not allowed on the interwebz. When you see an RMZ w/ “Vital” on the front fender and a fat old dude on...

I keep looking for ya every time I ride. You’re easily one of my favorite people on this site. Eventually we will cross paths. And I...
I keep looking for ya every time I ride. You’re easily one of my favorite people on this site. Eventually we will cross paths. And I know you’ll love the crew I ride with.
Of course he will love you guys.....y’all always have ice cold beer to share!
TeamGreen
2/19/2018 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 1:17pm
seth505 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

I keep looking for ya every time I ride. You’re easily one of my favorite people on this site. Eventually we will cross paths. And I...
At the end of the riding day, a can of Rockstar Organic to keep me awake for the drive back to Dana. At the SX races it’s “1942” if we’re walking or we Uber back to the hotel...

Btw, here’s what a Sunday looks like for the Mechanics that’re up before the riders and still working when the riders leave on Saturday-night...

Cold, wet...raining and there ain’t no “heater”; but, they still “Got shit to do!”
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
2/19/2018 3:02pm
seth505 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

Yes, I shall track him down someday as well!
peelout
2/19/2018 3:17pm
it appeared to me that Barcia's hand was miraculously sandwiched between his bars and a loose sprocket bolt.

proper machine maintenance is incredibly important. how long until we see torque being checked at Tech Inspection? if it were next weekend it would already be too late.
Fourth_Floor
2/19/2018 3:44pm
I think the ultimate solution to this is to triple the triple.
Johnny Depp
2/19/2018 3:52pm
This is extremely valid.

I’m 100% with ya Depp. Your posts on this and related topics have been spot on imo.
Thanks for the response. If we didn't give a shit we could just say nothing.
Johnny Depp
2/19/2018 5:06pm
kary wrote:
Are you talking about that ? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/19/244834/s1200_Capture_decran_2018_02_19_a_18.31.59.jpg[/img]

The shark pit would be designed so that if you make a mistake, screw up and get eaten. The triples, especially on the 1st lap are the same concept. Stating that it was JB51's fault is obviously obvious.

So you have a sport that you need entertainers and personalities to sell tickets, and they keep getting eaten by sharks. You are a manufacturer trying to sell bikes, and your customers feel like it might be a good idea not to get into the arena with the lions.

Problems usually lead to solutions.
2/19/2018 5:36pm
kary wrote:
Are you talking about that ? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/19/244834/s1200_Capture_decran_2018_02_19_a_18.31.59.jpg[/img]

The shark pit would be designed so that if you make a mistake, screw up and get eaten. The triples, especially on the 1st lap are...
The shark pit would be designed so that if you make a mistake, screw up and get eaten. The triples, especially on the 1st lap are the same concept. Stating that it was JB51's fault is obviously obvious.

So you have a sport that you need entertainers and personalities to sell tickets, and they keep getting eaten by sharks. You are a manufacturer trying to sell bikes, and your customers feel like it might be a good idea not to get into the arena with the lions.

Problems usually lead to solutions.
This sport is the only one that does nothing despite the fact that a season in which it’s stars stay healthy is overwhelmingly the exception to the rule.

That said, how much do you neuter SX before it’s no longer a show? Can the stars carry it by themselves? Can difficult SX tracks carry the sport w/o stars?

Say we hypothetically drop SX from the calendar... Is the MX outdoors any safer?

Or maybe we should hold the riders & teams who employ them partially responsible? Look at the guys who routinely get hurt, they arent the smartest bunch. The stars are who the promoter & teams make them. Maybe they should stop banking on guys who got dicks for brains?

Dungey never had injury issues plague him throughout his career. I dont think that’s a coincidence.
2/20/2018 12:33am
I’m pretty torn on this one. I mean, it’s motorcycle racing, it’s always been dangerous, everyone knows that when they throw a leg over their bike.

That being said, I just think it’s a combo of the bikes and the tracks built for them. 450s are so fkn fast it blows my mind. These guys are hardly even opening them up in these stadiums.

I’m a die hard race fan. I’ve been to 7 SX/MX pro races in the last year and it just sucks seeing someone get hurt every time I’m there. Regardless of who it is or why or how, it’s never a good thing.

2018 SX has seen atleast 1 rider from each factory team miss races due to injury, some teams both riders(kawi). Somethings got to give, just not sure what..

Post a reply to: Are Triples the Modern Day Shark Tank?

The Latest