Are 21' SX and TC models going FI?

Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 7:09pm
I would be interested to hear how the FI 2 stroke performs on the track, from anyone who has ridden an offroad TX or XC
|
Pirate421
4/10/2020 2:40pm
I was wondering this too. Although I doubt it for 2021 I think the possibility could come in the next generation which may be 2022? I think I may go with an XC anyway because I want the larger tank and the estart for off-road races but I still do about 50:50 Mx and east coast off-road. Just wish they weren’t so damn expensive!

For what it’s worth the pro GNCC guys all post themselves training on Mx tracks regularly and they are riding XC and XCF’s and they go pretty well!
dalshire21
4/10/2020 3:14pm
Rule of thumb is, they always make a major model year change right after you decide to take one home. That way the regret comes out of nowhere and hits hard! I've been there a few times.
Tenacious P
4/10/2020 3:28pm
Wonder how they would do against a 450.
Always ridden Japanese but a FI 300 2T would get me to switch to white or orange.
Tuna
4/10/2020 4:23pm
Always ridden Japanese but a FI 300 2T would get me to switch to white or orange.
New 450 would smoke a 300. I have plenty of hours on the 2020 300 TPi’s. MX guys would complain they are a little too mellow with the TPi.

The Shop

Spooner
4/10/2020 4:49pm
This is my 2020 TX300i and it flat rips. Haven’t ridden a moto track yet but the power is like an electric motor and has tons of grip. Just waiting for a FMF fatty pipe to get here and I’ll see how it really runs. I guess I’d have to ride a TC back to back but I don’t see how they could have better power than this and the lack of having to mess with jetting is so nice haha!

gjbruny
4/10/2020 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 5:45pm
I have ridden a 300xc tpi on the track. It is a great bike.... scratch that, an awesome bike for its intended purpose. Kind of a jack of all trades. Having said that, it doesnt have nearly as much power as a 450. While it has a hair more off idle than a 350, it is roughly equal in the mid and the 350 will walk away from it as the revs climb. The 300 will use 2 gears for every gear the 350 uses because the powerband is so much wider on the 4st. Having said that the latest TPIs arguably have the smoothest widest power spread of any smoker to date.

Handling wise they feel a little more planted and a little less squirrely than the sx due to a less explosive motor and a little extra weight. The 300 has a heavier feel than the sx and the 250xc but only under acceleration. The 250/300 xc are starting to feel very similar power wise... much closer than in the past. In the air is where the weight difference is felt between the sx and xc. The xc tx air fork can be made to feel remarkably similar to the sx on the track with just a bump in psi and some clicker changes. And the shock can be adjusted to keep the bike balanced.

A 250sx “feels” stronger in every way than the 250/300xc tpi... but only because the mx engine isnt quite as metered and is definitely more explosive. In a drag race the sx would pull the 300 but only by half a bike length by the time we were in 5th (obviously the xc is much faster in top speed due to the somewhat wider ratio and the 6th gear).
If you want one bike to ride anything from hard enduro to motocross, you would be hard pressed to find a better bike than a 250/300xc tpi or the tx300i. They are super capable bikes!

Hope this helps
Pirate421
4/10/2020 6:02pm
gjbruny wrote:
I have ridden a 300xc tpi on the track. It is a great bike.... scratch that, an awesome bike for its intended purpose. Kind of a...
I have ridden a 300xc tpi on the track. It is a great bike.... scratch that, an awesome bike for its intended purpose. Kind of a jack of all trades. Having said that, it doesnt have nearly as much power as a 450. While it has a hair more off idle than a 350, it is roughly equal in the mid and the 350 will walk away from it as the revs climb. The 300 will use 2 gears for every gear the 350 uses because the powerband is so much wider on the 4st. Having said that the latest TPIs arguably have the smoothest widest power spread of any smoker to date.

Handling wise they feel a little more planted and a little less squirrely than the sx due to a less explosive motor and a little extra weight. The 300 has a heavier feel than the sx and the 250xc but only under acceleration. The 250/300 xc are starting to feel very similar power wise... much closer than in the past. In the air is where the weight difference is felt between the sx and xc. The xc tx air fork can be made to feel remarkably similar to the sx on the track with just a bump in psi and some clicker changes. And the shock can be adjusted to keep the bike balanced.

A 250sx “feels” stronger in every way than the 250/300xc tpi... but only because the mx engine isnt quite as metered and is definitely more explosive. In a drag race the sx would pull the 300 but only by half a bike length by the time we were in 5th (obviously the xc is much faster in top speed due to the somewhat wider ratio and the 6th gear).
If you want one bike to ride anything from hard enduro to motocross, you would be hard pressed to find a better bike than a 250/300xc tpi or the tx300i. They are super capable bikes!

Hope this helps
That is awesome and very helpful. I’ve never ridden a 300 but have had 250sx’s in the past. For a do everything eastern woods and Mx bike would you pick the 300XC or the 250XC if you’ve ridden both? Have heard the 250 may have better top end and the 300 better bottom and mid? I’m just a 30+ b/c rider. Thanks
gjbruny
4/10/2020 7:23pm
I have ridden both and very recently. The 250 and 300XCs are getting extremely close with each other. The 300 has a hair more right off idle where the 250 revs out a hair further and is slightly more snappy. The 250 still feels very slightly lighter when accelerating or when riding on the pipe on the track. It really is a tossup with these two. If u plan on racing any moto id get the 250 simply because u can race in the 250 class. Mostly hard enduro and id probably go with the 300. A mix of everything and id take the 250.

I typically get a new bike every 2 years and flop back and forth between the 300xc and the 350 (since 2013... i have had 3 300s prior to that as well as other brands). I have a ‘17 350 xcf now (as well as my ‘15 300xc) and im going with ‘21 250xc for my next bike. But to be totally honest they are so darn close these days I'm surprised they still make both. Seriously, bone stock they are that close.

For what you are asking, id take the 250
gjbruny
4/10/2020 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 8:17pm
On a side note, my wife surprised me with a tc 125 last summer after i picked up a 125sx for my nephew. I forgot how fun 125s are to ride and after talking about it so much i came home to one sitting in my shop. On a whim i took it on a mtn single track ride thinking i was going to hate it (i originally just wanted it fir the track). Come to find out i had a blast on it! Something about that little bike shrieking in the timber and the fact that at under 200lbs its magic dodging trees. It was surprisingly capable in technical stuff too. Its not a lugger but if you can keep it in the power it has no problem holding its own.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and i got to ride a TE150i. That little motor blows my mind. While it doesnt make the outright peak power of the TC, its very close. The mind boggling part is how smooth it is. More importantly it has WAY more bottom than it should (compared to the beta 200 its very similar from bottom to top but when the beta signs off, the 150 pulls a good bit further). It is actually luggable... and i dont mean luggable for a 150... you can actually lug this thing really low in the revs yet it pulls without having to touch the clutch. The extra weight with all the off-road fluff and tpi is noticeable but not a deal killer. For tight eastern woods riding it would probably be a top contender (though id have to do a lot of work to get the suspension where i need it. the TE/XCWs are way too soft for me).

Honestly, if the 150i came in an xc/tx or sx/tc i’d be headed to my dealer now. For a track only bike it would need another 1k-1500 rpm up top... but to be totally honest the power comes on WAY sooner than the carb’d 150. Power spread is much much wider on the injected bikes.
ccullins
4/10/2020 9:03pm
No better than a carb model, maybe not as well.

My son races a TM 300 in pro Endurocross. TM has the same FI system as KTM. They sell both a carb and FI version. He still prefers the carb bike, it just revs a little quicker and revs out further. The FI is great, but it’s not a faster bike.

Bottom line is FI is only on 2t’s for euro emissions.
4/10/2020 11:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 11:25pm
Have TM improved the TPI system ?

Have a TE250 lec 2017. But sooner or later I´ll need a new bike. No new carb bike to buy...

Ktm don´t have a "safetyloop "on the oil pump, nothing thats monitoring that it´s working.
For mecanical faliure and air trapped in the system.

Heard that it´s mixing down to 0,5%, is that really good to the engine ? or is it for like ccullins said emissions !?
Ryan625
4/11/2020 12:16am
gjbruny wrote:
I have ridden a 300xc tpi on the track. It is a great bike.... scratch that, an awesome bike for its intended purpose. Kind of a...

Hope this helps
Having spent considerable time on my TC250, and my dad having both an 350EXC and a 300TPI, I actually disagree with your post a lot. it may simply come down to riding style or bike preference, but I think the 300 walks all over the 350. It isn't as explosive as my TC(SX) its still healthy and tunable. I love the 300, I think that motor can be plenty snappy to make a good MX bike out of.

A 350 is easier to ride, but I can't got nearly as fast on it. (Washed up A class)
Tuna
4/11/2020 4:24am
gjbruny wrote:

Hope this helps
Pirate421 wrote:
That is awesome and very helpful. I’ve never ridden a 300 but have had 250sx’s in the past. For a do everything eastern woods and Mx...
That is awesome and very helpful. I’ve never ridden a 300 but have had 250sx’s in the past. For a do everything eastern woods and Mx bike would you pick the 300XC or the 250XC if you’ve ridden both? Have heard the 250 may have better top end and the 300 better bottom and mid? I’m just a 30+ b/c rider. Thanks
300 for sure.
gjbruny
4/11/2020 6:45am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 6:52am
Ryan625 wrote:
Having spent considerable time on my TC250, and my dad having both an 350EXC and a 300TPI, I actually disagree with your post a lot. it...
Having spent considerable time on my TC250, and my dad having both an 350EXC and a 300TPI, I actually disagree with your post a lot. it may simply come down to riding style or bike preference, but I think the 300 walks all over the 350. It isn't as explosive as my TC(SX) its still healthy and tunable. I love the 300, I think that motor can be plenty snappy to make a good MX bike out of.

A 350 is easier to ride, but I can't got nearly as fast on it. (Washed up A class)
The 350exc and 350xcf/sxf engines are VERY different from each other. The EXC is a very neutered version if we are talking about power output (different cam, different compression ratios, timing, ecu etc etc.... even the exhaust is VERY different).

It wasnt a “hate on your 300” post. I own both the 350xcf and 300xc, have owned multiple years of both models and love both. But in race trim, the later gen 350s are faster than the 300s. In enduro trim (350exc) the 300 engine is certainly more potent. There is a massive gap between the 350exc and 350xcf/sxf power plants.... literally apples to oranges comparison. Hop on both back to back and you will find they feel nothing alike.
dcg141
4/11/2020 7:52am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 7:55am
I know testing has been ongoing with the TC and SX with TPI. Not sure when we see it in production. Also the 20 has been quite an improvement over the 19 with the current TPI bikes.
Natester551v
4/11/2020 8:09am
ccullins wrote:
No better than a carb model, maybe not as well. My son races a TM 300 in pro Endurocross. TM has the same FI system as...

My son races a TM 300 in pro Endurocross. TM has the same FI system as KTM. They sell both a carb and FI version. He still prefers the carb bike, it just revs a little quicker and revs out further. The FI is great, but it’s not a faster bike.

Ty's experience seems pretty close to what Cody Webb stated on Pulp (when asked about the KTM vs. the Sherco). He seemed to prefer the carb version...for now...
endurox
4/11/2020 8:46am
ccullins wrote:
No better than a carb model, maybe not as well. My son races a TM 300 in pro Endurocross. TM has the same FI system as...

A friend has a 2020 150 tpi. We did a roll on. My 17 150 xc-w with a worn out piston still pulled him by a few bike lengths. The 150tpi hits red line and the computer retards the timing so no over rev. Plus the tpi is 6 pounds heavier.
Cody Webb is happy to be back on a carb 2 stroke. Slavens will fix the tpi bikes for about 1500 in parts.
swvaripper
4/11/2020 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 9:10pm

I don’t get the 450s are so much faster than everything. Has anyone ever had a direct bike to bike comparison before? On long straights my 13 Honda crf450r would get absolutely worked by ktm 300s sx/xc/ and it truly hurt my feelings when the “trail bike” xcw 300 ate my 450 around a half mile dirt track at the start of a race. I had a 12 250sx with a 300 kit the same time I owned a 16 yz450 full fmf with Fmf sand map and the older ktm would walk it every time. The yz had more hit but was not as fast as the 300. Now the 16 tm 300en I had was an absolute animal and I don’t know what kind of modded 450 you would need to be as straight line fast as it was. Now that I said that 450s are way easier to ride and go fast on compared to 250/300s. 450s just do stuff easier with the amount of off idle torque they produce but they are not as fast as everyone makes them out to be. Would I trade my 19 kx450 for a new 250/300 no but I wouldn’t mind having one to play around on.
gjbruny
4/11/2020 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 10:36pm
swvaripper wrote:
I don’t get the 450s are so much faster than everything. Has anyone ever had a direct bike to bike comparison before? On long straights my...

I don’t get the 450s are so much faster than everything. Has anyone ever had a direct bike to bike comparison before? On long straights my 13 Honda crf450r would get absolutely worked by ktm 300s sx/xc/ and it truly hurt my feelings when the “trail bike” xcw 300 ate my 450 around a half mile dirt track at the start of a race. I had a 12 250sx with a 300 kit the same time I owned a 16 yz450 full fmf with Fmf sand map and the older ktm would walk it every time. The yz had more hit but was not as fast as the 300. Now the 16 tm 300en I had was an absolute animal and I don’t know what kind of modded 450 you would need to be as straight line fast as it was. Now that I said that 450s are way easier to ride and go fast on compared to 250/300s. 450s just do stuff easier with the amount of off idle torque they produce but they are not as fast as everyone makes them out to be. Would I trade my 19 kx450 for a new 250/300 no but I wouldn’t mind having one to play around on.
I personally have a tc125, 350xcf, 300xc and a 450sxf (permanently a snowbike now) sitting in my shop right now. I also have a private track so i get to ride a lot of buddy’s bikes on it. I can tell you for sure 100% that the 450 will definitely out run my 300 in a drag race no matter if we swap riders on bikes. The 350 will do the same and with all 3 bikes, the 350 will be closer to the 450 than the 300 will be to the 350 every single time regardless of which rider is on what bike.

Look im a 2 st guy at heart but there is no denying the 4st are faster. The 450 makes more torque and roughly 10hp more than the 300 and the 350 is nearly equal in torque but pulls 5-6hp more. They make their power over a wider spread of revs and put the power to the ground better/hook up. And are now actually lighter (450sxf is 222lbs). I know its a tough pill to swallow but these 4st are really fast and are faster than the 300s. I hate to have to admit it... but they are. Now if you are talking top speed the 450 will get smoked by the XCs but ONLY after the sxf tranny has run out of legs. gps shows the 350 about 11mph faster than the 300 when both XCs are completely tapped in 6th (both are geared (13/51).

Now.... how often do guys use all the power of their 300, 350 or 450. It really is a moot point at which one wins a drag race. They are all great platforms. If i went to race moto ill put the 350 in the trailer. If i go race the silver mtn extreme hard enduro i always take the 300. Anything in between and it will just depend on which side the coin falls.
4/12/2020 6:58am
Spooner wrote:
This is my 2020 TX300i and it flat rips. Haven’t ridden a moto track yet but the power is like an electric motor and has tons...
This is my 2020 TX300i and it flat rips. Haven’t ridden a moto track yet but the power is like an electric motor and has tons of grip. Just waiting for a FMF fatty pipe to get here and I’ll see how it really runs. I guess I’d have to ride a TC back to back but I don’t see how they could have better power than this and the lack of having to mess with jetting is so nice haha!

Let’s go to Oakland and swap bikes for a moto in the sand box and on Tucker’s training loop. We can run my LapKing and I have two gopros. Then we can have a true side by side comparison. One won’t be better than the other doing SX vs TC tpi, it will just be great to know the difference.
Spooner
4/12/2020 11:16am
Let’s go to Oakland and swap bikes for a moto in the sand box and on Tucker’s training loop. We can run my LapKing and I...
Let’s go to Oakland and swap bikes for a moto in the sand box and on Tucker’s training loop. We can run my LapKing and I have two gopros. Then we can have a true side by side comparison. One won’t be better than the other doing SX vs TC tpi, it will just be great to know the difference.
Yeah I’m down for sure!
Tracktor
4/13/2020 10:22am
gjbruny wrote:
On a side note, my wife surprised me with a tc 125 last summer after i picked up a 125sx for my nephew. I forgot how...
On a side note, my wife surprised me with a tc 125 last summer after i picked up a 125sx for my nephew. I forgot how fun 125s are to ride and after talking about it so much i came home to one sitting in my shop. On a whim i took it on a mtn single track ride thinking i was going to hate it (i originally just wanted it fir the track). Come to find out i had a blast on it! Something about that little bike shrieking in the timber and the fact that at under 200lbs its magic dodging trees. It was surprisingly capable in technical stuff too. Its not a lugger but if you can keep it in the power it has no problem holding its own.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and i got to ride a TE150i. That little motor blows my mind. While it doesnt make the outright peak power of the TC, its very close. The mind boggling part is how smooth it is. More importantly it has WAY more bottom than it should (compared to the beta 200 its very similar from bottom to top but when the beta signs off, the 150 pulls a good bit further). It is actually luggable... and i dont mean luggable for a 150... you can actually lug this thing really low in the revs yet it pulls without having to touch the clutch. The extra weight with all the off-road fluff and tpi is noticeable but not a deal killer. For tight eastern woods riding it would probably be a top contender (though id have to do a lot of work to get the suspension where i need it. the TE/XCWs are way too soft for me).

Honestly, if the 150i came in an xc/tx or sx/tc i’d be headed to my dealer now. For a track only bike it would need another 1k-1500 rpm up top... but to be totally honest the power comes on WAY sooner than the carb’d 150. Power spread is much much wider on the injected bikes.
I'm satarting to feel like a shill for these but they work. Throw a 38mm Keihin & STIC metering block on your TC125 and it will blow you away - Pulls hard from much lower & never signs off. http://www.sticsupertorque.com/
JoeWV
4/13/2020 3:28pm
You guys on the 300 tpi’s need to try the new Coober ECU units. It really opens up the 300. The power is still very smooth and linear but makes it feel a bit more snappy on the bottom and definitely helps with over rev up top. It also changed the weird pipe sound on decel. I’ve not had a chance to spend a lot of time on the bike since installing the unit but the couple hours I did made me a believer and imo it’s def worth the money.
nytsmaC
4/13/2020 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2020 3:51pm
swvaripper wrote:
I don’t get the 450s are so much faster than everything. Has anyone ever had a direct bike to bike comparison before? On long straights my...

That era of Honda 450’s were notoriously slow, as in slower than the KTM 350’s which weren’t as fast as they are now either. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as 99% of us who buy 450’s would turn faster laps with less power, but Honda got dogged pretty bad in the shootouts for being remarkably slow compared to the others.

Any current 450 is considerably faster than any 300 I’ve ever been on. That being said I’d much rather ride a 300.
Johnny Depp
4/13/2020 4:05pm
If the'21's go TPI does that make you want one, or would you buy up the last of the carb models?
ferg722
4/13/2020 4:29pm
Heard from a KTM rep that the SX models will eventually transition to TPI soon..
Would I buy one? Likely not.. I’ve always been hung up on the nostalgia of a two stroke and a carburetor *as well lesser weight minus all the electronics & battery.
Also the cost & tune-ability associated to a TPI compared to a carburetor. Defeats the simplicity of what many sought after for a two stroke platform.

I suppose those who ride through ranging elevation and temperatures adore the TPI models.
But for SX models I don’t believe it deserves a place..
endurox
4/13/2020 4:35pm
gjbruny wrote:
On a side note, my wife surprised me with a tc 125 last summer after i picked up a 125sx for my nephew. I forgot how...

Tracktor wrote:
I'm satarting to feel like a shill for these but they work. Throw a 38mm Keihin & STIC metering block on your TC125 and it will...
I'm satarting to feel like a shill for these but they work. Throw a 38mm Keihin & STIC metering block on your TC125 and it will blow you away - Pulls hard from much lower & never signs off. http://www.sticsupertorque.com/
The Mikuni is fine once the slide gets cut to a 7.0 and the leaking block jet gasket gets changed. I had a machinist put a carb splitter in the engine side of the slide. Bike pulls a gear taller than my friend's 150 tpi up semi steep hills. Even with the splitter, still has good over rev.
Tracktor
4/14/2020 11:05am
endurox wrote:
The Mikuni is fine once the slide gets cut to a 7.0 and the leaking block jet gasket gets changed. I had a machinist put a...
The Mikuni is fine once the slide gets cut to a 7.0 and the leaking block jet gasket gets changed. I had a machinist put a carb splitter in the engine side of the slide. Bike pulls a gear taller than my friend's 150 tpi up semi steep hills. Even with the splitter, still has good over rev.
This isn't a Keihin vs Mikuni thing. I ran both stock & well tuned. The STIC insert goes to a whole new level. Completely different power curve. It's a massive difference.........

Post a reply to: Are 21' SX and TC models going FI?

The Latest