Are 2-strokes banned in California?

TeamGreen
3/11/2021 8:03am
Moto Nomad wrote:
I see this: "Manufacturers must decide whether to bring cleaner 2-stroke models to the California market once the Red Sticker program ends in 2022." They are...
I see this: "Manufacturers must decide whether to bring cleaner 2-stroke models to the California market once the Red Sticker program ends in 2022."
They are trying to drive new technology. Maybe the manufacturers will respond. The new regime isn't great, but it isn't the end of the world. They could build a two-stroke that meets the standards.
CARB only does what the state Legislature tells them to do- they are charged by elected officials to reduce emissions.
Not argumentative, just reflecting on years of being at Hess various hearings and even participating in studies: This isn’t “new”. CARB has been on a mission to eliminate ICEs for a while. I wouldn’t lay it at the feet of any single regime.
Johnny Depp
3/11/2021 8:24am
Moto Nomad wrote:
I see this: "Manufacturers must decide whether to bring cleaner 2-stroke models to the California market once the Red Sticker program ends in 2022." They are...
I see this: "Manufacturers must decide whether to bring cleaner 2-stroke models to the California market once the Red Sticker program ends in 2022."
They are trying to drive new technology. Maybe the manufacturers will respond. The new regime isn't great, but it isn't the end of the world. They could build a two-stroke that meets the standards.
CARB only does what the state Legislature tells them to do- they are charged by elected officials to reduce emissions.
Afaik no 2t has ever passed CA rules. The sensors get fouled by oil before they can complete the test.
TeamGreen
3/11/2021 8:28am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 7:00pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
Afaik no 2t has ever passed CA rules. The sensors get fouled by oil before they can complete the test.
There was once a Cat-Equipped air-cooled RD 400 followed by a Cat-Equipped RZ/RD 350 “LC” (liquid cooled) that both were available in California for a very brief time in the very early 80s.
SoCalMX70
3/11/2021 3:08pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
I'm sure their testing methods are sound too... Bike properly jetted and warmed up. Not that a carbureted 2-stroke would pass anyway, but CARB is full of shit.

My favorite is their comparisons of emissions from OHVs to automobiles, but with zero consideration of the typical runtime/distance of each. 1:1 comparisons, total BS. As if the average OHV rider is running their bike for many hours/hundreds of miles per week.

The Shop

casper
3/11/2021 3:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Carson Valley
Nevada
I'm ready to go. Problem is...we have too many ties here right now. San Diego is just about as perfect as a place to live (taking...
I'm ready to go. Problem is...we have too many ties here right now.

San Diego is just about as perfect as a place to live (taking all the congestion, bullshit and governing out of it). I'm 10 minutes from the back country, back roads. We love taking our (pedal) bikes to Coronado and ride.(20 minutes away). The food is amazing.... I live for ethnic food. That will be a hard thing to leave.

Shoutout from Clairemont!
3/11/2021 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 5:34pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but have followed this saga for a number of years including reading all the publicly available presentations by CARB. There is no two stroke, including TPI's, currently available that will come close to meeting the CARB or even US emissions standards. Euro standards they meet are very different than US standards and the pollutants they are trying to reduce. Perhaps direct injection, which is very different than TPI. But there is no DI dirtbike technology at this time that I am aware of that would meet it. KTM didnt use it for a reason.

If someone knows different, please share. This is my understanding of it.

CARB is well aware of it and knows the reality is no more two strokes offroad. Their statement was pure politics to redirect blame to the manufacturers for not coming out with some new non existent technology in my opinion.

This isn't an attempt to drive new technology to market. CARB made the same argument in their attempt to drive the manufacturers to provide more emissions compliant dirt bikes (green sticker) bikes to the market. It had the opposite affect, manufacturers simply recertified new models as non compliant (red sticker) bikes. More red stickers models and fewer green sticker models. CARB is also aware of this, and one of the major reasons the Red Sticker programs is being axed. Again, this is my understanding of it. By no means an expert.

I was under the impression that the CARB rules adopted at the end of 2019 meant no more two strokes sold in CA after model year 2021. I spent a couple of hours trying to find it again, but was unsuccessful. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could actually chime in.

I do know that unless CA SB 227 is passed, none of us will be riding 2022 model year or newer non emission compliant competition bikes (Red Sticker) on public land in California. Two or Four stroke.

dcg141
3/11/2021 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 5:48pm
YZ1254LIFE wrote:
I know what you mean. I read an article yesterday that said a 2-stroke on a 50 mile ride polluted 30% more than a car that...
I know what you mean. I read an article yesterday that said a 2-stroke on a 50 mile ride polluted 30% more than a car that drove 500+ miles.
But total number of 2 stroke bikes..being ridden once or twice a week vs cars. Anyone run those numbers yet?
SoCalMX70
3/11/2021 5:56pm
I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but have followed this saga for a number of years including reading all the publicly available presentations by CARB...
I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but have followed this saga for a number of years including reading all the publicly available presentations by CARB. There is no two stroke, including TPI's, currently available that will come close to meeting the CARB or even US emissions standards. Euro standards they meet are very different than US standards and the pollutants they are trying to reduce. Perhaps direct injection, which is very different than TPI. But there is no DI dirtbike technology at this time that I am aware of that would meet it. KTM didnt use it for a reason.

CARB is well aware of it and knows the reality is no more two strokes offroad. Their statement was pure politics to redirect blame to the manufacturers for not coming out with some new non existent technology in my opinion.

This isn't an attempt to drive new technology to market. CARB made the same argument in their attempt to drive the manufacturers to provide more emissions compliant dirt bikes (green sticker) bikes to the market. It had the opposite affect, manufacturers simply recertified new models as non compliant (red sticker) bikes. More red stickers models and fewer green sticker models. CARB is also aware of this, and one of the major reasons the Red Sticker programs is being axed. Again, this is my understanding of it. By no means an expert.

I was under the impression that the CARB rules adopted at the end of 2019 meant no more two strokes sold in CA after model year 2021. I spent a couple of hours trying to find it again, but was unsuccessful. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could actually chime in.

I do know that unless CA SB 227 is passed, none of us will be riding 2022 model year or newer non emission compliant competition bikes (Red Sticker) on public land in California. Two or Four stroke.

All bikes that cannot be certified as emissions compliant can still be sold as competition only vehicles (including 2 strokes). Every single current red sticker model, if unchanged, will be sold as competition only starting next year.
endurox
3/11/2021 6:13pm
Vote out the blue politicians and then change the laws.
3/11/2021 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 6:20pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but have followed this saga for a number of years including reading all the publicly available presentations by CARB...

When ktm first released the tpi in 2018 there was a picture of different cylinder protoprototype's. One of them ktm said was DI. They also said at the time it wouldn't work on a dirt bike for a couple different reasons. This one was the DI one I thought.

3/11/2021 6:19pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
All bikes that cannot be certified as emissions compliant can still be sold as competition only vehicles (including 2 strokes). Every single current red sticker model...
All bikes that cannot be certified as emissions compliant can still be sold as competition only vehicles (including 2 strokes). Every single current red sticker model, if unchanged, will be sold as competition only starting next year.
That's good news. Not to be argumentative, do you have a source for this? I was looking for information all afternoon online including CARB website. Perhaps my google skills are lacking.

That said, unless CA SB 227 is passed, it is still my understanding we will be limited to riding those bikes on private land only however. No issue for most MX guys, big deal for us offroad folks.
SoCalMX70
3/11/2021 7:19pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
All bikes that cannot be certified as emissions compliant can still be sold as competition only vehicles (including 2 strokes). Every single current red sticker model...
That's good news. Not to be argumentative, do you have a source for this? I was looking for information all afternoon online including CARB website. Perhaps...
That's good news. Not to be argumentative, do you have a source for this? I was looking for information all afternoon online including CARB website. Perhaps my google skills are lacking.

That said, unless CA SB 227 is passed, it is still my understanding we will be limited to riding those bikes on private land only however. No issue for most MX guys, big deal for us offroad folks.
That's why I said competition only... Racing. No public OHV anything for any bike that doesn't meet emissions requirements. I know there was possibly some other bill in the works to allow them in some cases (practice?), no idea how that turned out. You have the right info.
3/12/2021 1:39am
I’ll be surprised if this sport even exists in 10 years. The way climate change is getting pushed very hard now & tracks closing down. All part of Agenda 2030 baby.
Motofinne
3/12/2021 1:43am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 11:19am
I’ll be surprised if this sport even exists in 10 years. The way climate change is getting pushed very hard now & tracks closing down. All...
I’ll be surprised if this sport even exists in 10 years. The way climate change is getting pushed very hard now & tracks closing down. All part of Agenda 2030 baby.
It will survive. You don't think the big manufacturers have prepared for this? They will all go under unless they come up with electric alternatives or a major breakthrough with carbon-neutral fuel.
3/12/2021 2:43am
I’ll be surprised if this sport even exists in 10 years. The way climate change is getting pushed very hard now & tracks closing down. All...
Motofinne wrote:
It will survive. You don't think the big manufacturers have prepared for this? They will all go under unless they come up with electric alternatives or...
It will survive. You don't think the big manufacturers have prepared for this? They will all go under unless they come up with electric alternatives or a major breakthrough with carbon-neutral fuel.
I hope you’re right.
JM485
3/12/2021 12:42pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's a strange stuff CARB was telling us at the hearings... They're expecting the manufacturers to put Exhaust and Evap systems on the competition type bikes...
Here's a strange stuff CARB was telling us at the hearings...

They're expecting the manufacturers to put Exhaust and Evap systems on the competition type bikes. Think of a CRF-R with a CRF-X cylinder head (with fresh-air system) and evap system on the gas-tank.

It's "doable'; but, it's more crap on the bike an more money.

Also, they've (CARCool got a law on the books that pushes for ALL new ICE to have an evap-system on the gas tank in the near future.

I've had discussions with these people and they're "out of their F'ing minds" about "The Environment" and "Climate Change"...
YZ1254LIFE wrote:
What function would an evap have on a dirt bike? How can I get involved with these politics?
TeamGreen wrote:
The "Air-Heads", as I call them, are SOOOOOOO concerned with the evap that a bike does/the fuel does while it's sitting in your garage. That's why...
The "Air-Heads", as I call them, are SOOOOOOO concerned with the evap that a bike does/the fuel does while it's sitting in your garage. That's why EPA legal bikes have an Evap-Canister to catch all those evil vapors as they sneak out of your gas tank.

As for the politics? Shiiiit. I got some 'heads up' e-mail form the AMA/a few land use organizations & I followed thru. There were hearings thru-out the state.

There were a coupl'a Berkeley/UC/state of Cali science types on the gov't side of the hearings that tried to get super ubber-technical...I had a lot of fun with them . I asked for the metrics of dirt-bikes versus automobiles. They didn't have them...go figure, right? They were super excited about evap and "other" emissions stats...until you asked for supporting documentation. Then...? Well, they got PISSED!

They suck.

They suck...Bigly.
I remember when CARB put out their “study” a year or so ago and I asked the same question, “So how does this compare to the number of cars on the road?” I looked high and low in that study for a comparison, but strangely enough any information that would provide context to the numbers and “findings” being discussed was noticeably absent. Hmm. . . I also counted the number of times they used the phrase “must comply” and it was pretty staggering if I remember correctly. It’s not just what you say, but how you say it. . .

I think the biggest thing we’re fighting here is the level of trust that the public has in these institutions. Somewhere along the way we stopped instilling into people that you can’t just trust everything at face value, especially from a government agency, and now a scary amount of people will just accept anything they state as fact. In reality, most of what they say is technically “true”, but context is everything, and without it the actual data in a report is, well, meaningless.
3/12/2021 6:01pm
twotwosix wrote:
You can buy a 2-stroke, you just can't eat inside a restaurant with your family.
musrat88 wrote:
Still under lockdown? What the hell is wrong with that state?
only one thing: democrats

Post a reply to: Are 2-strokes banned in California?

The Latest