Are 2-strokes banned in California?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2021 6:37 PM

I remember hearing something that said California was going to ban 2-strokes in 2021, anyone have the latest info?

|

3/9/2021 6:40 PM

No

|

James

3/9/2021 6:43 PM

Not yet

|

3/9/2021 6:44 PM

No...

|

Hello..Vital?..

3/9/2021 6:58 PM

No, you can walk into a dealership and buy a brand new YZ250. This is the last year of the red sticker program however, so 2022 models you may not be able to ride on public lands outside of competition events.

|

21 WR450 | 21 CRF110 | 12 WR450 | 06 YZ250 | 04 TXT 280 Pro

3/9/2021 7:05 PM

Give it time....

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in Valencia during the 80's.

3/10/2021 6:46 AM

Yep, just like inside dining...

|

Mantis Toboggan, M.D

3/10/2021 6:51 AM

You can buy a 2-stroke, you just can't eat inside a restaurant with your family.

|

3/10/2021 8:22 AM

Even if they are banned, I've never had a park ranger stop me to look at my sticker. Good thing, too, because I never put those things on my bikes!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/10/2021 8:31 AM

"I'm sorry mister but I've lost all my 2-strokes in a tragic boating accident."

|

3/10/2021 8:34 AM

Falcon wrote:

Even if they are banned, I've never had a park ranger stop me to look at my sticker. Good thing, too, because I never put ...more

Yeah I always wonder where to stick the stupid things. I cut a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe 1/2” longer than the red or green sticker, then make two cuts lengthwise about 90° apart, that’ll leave you with a C shaped piece of PVC, stick your sticker on the piece of PVC pipe and then it will snap over the fork tubes between the triple clamps. Easy on, easy off.

|

3/10/2021 8:44 AM

Jardo wrote:

"I'm sorry mister but I've lost all my 2-strokes in a tragic boating accident."

All my guns & ammo were onboard too. We lost everything......

|

3/10/2021 9:23 AM

Falcon wrote:

Even if they are banned, I've never had a park ranger stop me to look at my sticker. Good thing, too, because I never put ...more

sumdood wrote:

Yeah I always wonder where to stick the stupid things. I cut a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe 1/2” longer than the red or green ...more

E-Line also makes a thin carbon sheet that wraps around the fork tube also. Super easy on easy off as well.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/10/2021 2:17 PM

Not sure if this is the current info (it's from 2019) but this was found on the CARB website.
Sounds like good news actually for 2022 and older red sticker bikes as there will no longer be seasonal riding restrictions. They will effectively become green sticker starting in 2022.
Bad news is that new models after 2022 will not be able to be used outside of closed course competition scenarios.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/Red%20Sticker%20Guidance%20Document%20for%20Riders.pdf

|

3/10/2021 2:31 PM

CornflakeJackson wrote:

Not sure if this is the current info (it's from 2019) but this was found on the CARB website.
Sounds like good news actually ...more

I have to laugh at this one!

"When sales of new Red Sticker vehicles end with the 2022 model year, will I
still be able to buy the model I want?
o The regulation was designed to provide manufacturers with flexibility to certify
a wide range of OHRV to meet applicable emissions standards, including
high-performance models that have historically been sold as Red Sticker
vehicles. Starting in 2020, we expect to see an increase in the number of
Green Sticker models available in California dealerships. This trend should
continue in subsequent years as manufacturers develop and certify even
more emissions-compliant models. California’s emissions standards for offhighway motorcycles in model year 2022 and beyond are closely aligned with
federal standards, so the range of models available in California should be
identical to what is available in the other 49 states today"

More green sticker models available in California by 2020??? No! We have more red sticker models now because they changed their "requirements." Go buy a 2018+ TTR, they are now red stickers. FTP

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/10/2021 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2021 3:40 PM

CornflakeJackson wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

still be able to ...more

Here's a strange stuff CARB was telling us at the hearings...

They're expecting the manufacturers to put Exhaust and Evap systems on the competition type bikes. Think of a CRF-R with a CRF-X cylinder head (with fresh-air system) and evap system on the gas-tank.

It's "doable'; but, it's more crap on the bike an more money.

Also, they've (CARcool got a law on the books that pushes for ALL new ICE to have an evap-system on the gas tank in the near future.

I've had discussions with these people and they're "out of their F'ing minds" about "The Environment" and "Climate Change"...

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

3/10/2021 3:41 PM

twotwosix wrote:

You can buy a 2-stroke, you just can't eat inside a restaurant with your family.

Still under lockdown? What the hell is wrong with that state?

|

3/10/2021 3:54 PM

twotwosix wrote:

musrat88 wrote:

Depends on the county; but, most counties ARE still under Gavin's thumb.

Psssst...Alpine County is 'orange' which is 'semi-normal/kinda open for business (Bear Valley and Kirkwood ski resorts).

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

3/10/2021 4:07 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Psssst...Alpine County is 'orange' which is ...more

I hope life there starts returning to normal for you real soon. Best of luck bud

|

3/10/2021 4:11 PM

musrat88 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

musrat88 wrote:

I hope life there starts returning to normal for you real soon. Best of luck bud

As soon as we vote Governor Newscum TFO of office, it will get better. 1.9 million signatures on the petition already.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/10/2021 4:16 PM

CornflakeJackson wrote:

No, 2021 and older models wont become green sticker until 2025! They'll still have the seasonal restrictions and models 2022 and newer will not be allowed for off-road use other than competition.This law friggin sucks!

|

3/10/2021 4:17 PM

musrat88 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

musrat88 wrote:

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I can't really complain. I haven't been negatively impacted like so many others have.

I've been extremely fortunate and even the necessary 'relocating" of the eldest in my family has gone virtually "super smooth and easy": I found it necessary to have my 84 y/o mother-in-law GTFO of the old-folks-community she was in & relocate to my Redding house. She's got 2000 square feet & a little over 1/3 acre to herself AND NO-ONE-ELSE!
grin

And on the company front, we went from thinking we were closing our doors for a while to being TOO DAMN BUSY! I feel extremely fortunate and have been enjoying the opportunity to share my 'good luck' wit my family and friends.

|

3/10/2021 4:37 PM

CornflakeJackson wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

still be able to ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

They're expecting the manufacturers to put Exhaust and Evap ...more

What function would an evap have on a dirt bike? How can I get involved with these politics?

|

3/10/2021 5:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2021 6:06 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

still be able to ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

YZ1254LIFE wrote:

What function would an evap have on a dirt bike? How can I get involved with these politics?

The "Air-Heads", as I call them, are SOOOOOOO concerned with the evap that a bike does/the fuel does while it's sitting in your garage. That's why EPA legal bikes have an Evap-Canister to catch all those evil vapors as they sneak out of your gas tank.

As for the politics? Shiiiit. I got some 'heads up' e-mail form the AMA/a few land use organizations & I followed thru. There were hearings thru-out the state.

There were a coupl'a Berkeley/UC/state of Cali science types on the gov't side of the hearings that tried to get super ubber-technical...I had a lot of fun with them . I asked for the metrics of dirt-bikes versus automobiles. They didn't have them...go figure, right? They were super excited about evap and "other" emissions stats...until you asked for supporting documentation. Then...? Well, they got PISSED!

They suck.

They suck...Bigly.

|

3/10/2021 5:53 PM

musrat88 wrote:

How long to you have to allow me to list everything?

I love living here...but the reasons for staying are going down the drain at an exponential rate.

|

3/10/2021 6:07 PM

twotwosix wrote:

musrat88 wrote:

ShawdowGlen wrote:

How long to you have to allow me to list everything?

I love living here...but the reasons for staying are going down the ...more

Carson Valley
Nevada

|

3/10/2021 6:26 PM

If they enforce the rule like they enforce the no 2 stroke leaf blower rule I don’t think we have too much to worry about. At least for a while

|

3/10/2021 6:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2021 7:45 PM

sumdood wrote:

If they enforce the rule like they enforce the no 2 stroke leaf blower rule I don’t think we have too much to worry about. At ...more

I recently got a place in Laguna Niguel that’s got an HOA that takes care of the yards, common areas and all that ...the greens-keeper dudes borrowed some of my VP T2 to finish their work the other day. Their equip ran sooooo good that they want to know where to get it...

Classic!

|

3/10/2021 7:43 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Carson Valley
Nevada

I'm ready to go. Problem is...we have too many ties here right now.

San Diego is just about as perfect as a place to live (taking all the congestion, bullshit and governing out of it). I'm 10 minutes from the back country, back roads. We love taking our (pedal) bikes to Coronado and ride.(20 minutes away). The food is amazing.... I live for ethnic food. That will be a hard thing to leave.

|

3/10/2021 7:47 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

YZ1254LIFE wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

The "Air-Heads", as I call them, are SOOOOOOO concerned with the evap that a bike does/the fuel does while it's sitting in ...more

I know what you mean. I read an article yesterday that said a 2-stroke on a 50 mile ride polluted 30% more than a car that drove 500+ miles.

|