Applying Graphics

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2020 4:02 PM

Is it easier to apply graphics with the plastics on the bike or off the bike?

|

7/8/2020 4:03 PM

On

|

7/8/2020 4:08 PM

Grizz wrote:

On

Even the shroud graphics and side plates?

|

7/8/2020 4:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 4:11 PM

Personal preference. I just finished fitting mine and found the number plates easier off the bike to mould it around the tricky bits. Everything else was fine.

Heat gun is your friend, edges may need tending to every 12 hours for the first couple of days. Don’t use soapy water.

Photo

|

7/8/2020 4:11 PM

tobz wrote:

Personal preference. I just finished fitting mine and found the number plates easier off the bike to mould it around the tricky bits. Everything else was fine.

Heat gun is your friend, edges may need tending to every 12 hours for the first couple of days. Don’t use soapy water.

Photo

That looks sweet! I always loved the Yamaha of Troy Dragon.

|

7/8/2020 4:17 PM

Off. A 12 pack usually helps me

|

7/8/2020 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 4:28 PM

For me it is always on with a spray bottle with quick spray of water, credit card style squeegee for bubbles and a heat gun. Especially if you are trying to line things up with a seat cover.

EDIT: Always with a 12 pack.

|

7/8/2020 4:33 PM

I just did a set tried using soapy water first that was awful. I went with the peel and stick with a hair dryer. Always on the bike for me they move around too much otherwise.

|

7/8/2020 5:06 PM

crusher773 wrote:

I just did a set tried using soapy water first that was awful. I went with the peel and stick with a hair dryer. Always on the bike for me they move around too much otherwise.

Definitely wouldn’t use soapy water, the stick doesn’t last as long and can produce air bubbles easier.
Heat gun and slowly work the decal from one corner peeling the backing off a bit at a time to line things up is the go.

|

7/8/2020 6:24 PM

I did some graphics on my xr400 a few weeks ago and it went pretty good but after a few weeks I got some
air bubbles I assume from gas fumes. Oh well.

|

7/8/2020 6:33 PM

On the bike. One less thing you have working against you.

|

7/8/2020 6:35 PM

I prefer number plates off the bike if alignment isn’t an issue. Shrouds and fenders on. If number plates need to match up for lines or designs to look right then I keep everything on. Depending on bike take the seat off.

I use a solution designed for vinyl installation. Couldn’t tell you what it is. It’s not soapy water but it’s not just water either.

Spray plastics and back of vinyl, lay it down, form with heat gun, squeegee air bubbles and solution out, apply heat when needed through the process. Apply heat when finish to make sure solution is evaporated and graphics take proper shape.

|

7/8/2020 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 9:26 PM

i prefer off the bike and dry!

don’t be scared, be bold and don’t be afraid of the adhesive as you can always lift as you go and it won’t destroy the graphics.

1. with the backing still on I use small bits of masking tape to get everything lined up such as cut outs, corners, or bolt holes.

2. I then decide which way to apply which is usually front to back or vise versa as the panel sits on the bike. I then peel back appx 2-3 inches of backing and fold back and apply that small section.

3. I then continue to fold backing back and apply 2-3 inches at a time... take your time and work the graphics into the contours and if you trap some air don’t be afraid to peel up and work the air out.

4. Once it’s all the way down to your satisfaction use the heat gun or even a hair dryer to reactivate the adhesive and with a clean towel I really put the pressure down around the edges.

I have done this many times and there are always little bubbles the next day for some reason, don’t get frustrated it happens to the best of us, so i use a sewing needle and poke a tiny hole and press the air out with my finger nail... it may not be factory but it works!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

7/8/2020 7:05 PM

Good timing on this thread, I just ordered some preprinted backgrounds. They should arrive on Monday around the same time my new 350 arrives in a crate 😎.

|

7/8/2020 8:01 PM

Photo
I usually do mine off the bike.
|

7/8/2020 8:09 PM

All dry and on the bike. Much easier when things aren’t moving around on you while trying to stick graphics on. Very little heat when absolutely needed and when everything is done I use low heat and go around all of the edges.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/8/2020 8:11 PM

1st) get yourself a really good Son in Law

2nd) let him do it!

|

7/8/2020 8:24 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

All dry and on the bike. Much easier when things aren’t moving around on you while trying to stick graphics on. Very little heat when absolutely needed and when everything is done I use low heat and go around all of the edges.
Photo
Photo
Photo

Good looking scoots Matty!

|

7/8/2020 8:39 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo

dadofagun wrote:

Good looking scoots Matty!

Thank you sir!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/8/2020 8:42 PM

I always do em off and mist the plastics with a lil bit of windex. Perfect every time. Easy money

|

7/8/2020 9:20 PM

I've tried every method. Next time I'm going to try a new method. I'm going to bribe mattyhamz2 with his favorite beer and have him do them. laughing laughing Flat sticker on roundy plastic ?, I'm out.tongue
Photo
Photo

|

7/8/2020 9:24 PM

Pro tip, if its warm and sunny out let the graphics sit outside for a second. You ever tried to apply graphics in a freezing cold garage in the middle of the night? Your thumbs will hate you

|

7/8/2020 9:36 PM

sumdood wrote:

I've tried every method. Next time I'm going to try a new method. I'm going to bribe mattyhamz2 with his favorite beer and have him do them. laughing laughing Flat sticker on roundy plastic ?, I'm out.tongue
Photo
Photo

i’ve been there and know the feeling!

looks like you are maybe going top to bottom, and those sharp compound contours just suck! on those i start at the silencer end as it’s always the sharpest curve... go slow about an inch at a time and work towards the front along the top of the curve and then use heat on the sharp contours and work your way towards the top and bottom. when you get a fold like those pull them back up towards the center and work them out... go slow and i swear they will work out and allow the backgrounds to fit.

I have a drawer full of backgrounds from all of the ones i messed up like that and gave up on leaving many extra left and front backgrounds!

Photo

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

7/8/2020 10:13 PM

sumdood wrote:

Photo
Photo

Haha god damn dood! Wappened?!!

|

7/8/2020 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 10:44 PM

Use alcohol based window cleaner (not ammonia) or a spay bottle with 1:5 or so alcohol:water.

Heat is your friend. I like a hair dryer better as it's way too easy to overcook it with a heat gun.

On compound curves like the silencer side plate, start in the middle and work your way out towards the edges. That way you are working smaller, easier wrinkles instead of bunching it all up to one edge and working huge SX whoops like above.

Oh, and almost 100% thumbs to prevent scratches. Only use a stiff plastic squeegee when absolutely needed to work out a wrinkle.

|

Powerband in every gear !

7/8/2020 10:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 10:53 PM

Dirtydeeds wrote:

Wappened ? Fuggin football shaped side panels happened, wtf Honda ? laughing laughing I eventually got it good from afar but far from good. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/8/2020 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 10:55 PM

90% on the bike. I think I just take the front number plate off because the cable in the way. Dry and a little heat when needed.Photo
(Not sure why my photos post sideways? pinch )

|

7/8/2020 10:56 PM

sumdood wrote:

Photo
Photo

Dirtydeeds wrote:

sumdood wrote:

Wappened ? Fuggin football shaped side panels happened, wtf Honda ? laughing laughing I eventually got it good from afar but far from good. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Haha looks good from my couch! All good!

|

7/9/2020 4:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 7:12 AM

sumdood wrote:

Photo
Photo

I did this with my front number plate a couple weeks ago. My dumbass tried to apply the front number plate graphic with the brake line still running across it, I was really tired and thought oh I can do it really fast!

Fucked it all up lmao. Threw that front plate decal right in the garbage in frustration grin

|

7/9/2020 5:06 AM

I use THIS stuff. Works better than any method I've ever tried since the late 90's with bike graphics. I never have any issues with bubbles or corners coming up. I wouldn't use anything else at this point!

|