Apple Watch For Moto?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 4:18am
Anyone use an Apple watch for heart rate and workout calculations during riding? Does it work well? Do you put it on any specific workout mode?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/7/2017 12:16pm
I tried the App with my phone but the GPS didn't really work.

I'll give the watch a try tomorrow. It should at least monitor heart rate and time when you start the clock.
Bfogg217
3/7/2017 12:39pm
I did it accidentally one weekend. It will track it but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I think the vibration of the bike will mess it up a little. It's an awful expensive way track just your heart rate though
Motofinne
3/7/2017 12:46pm
I bought my first GPS watch a few weeks ago(Polar M200) and it works pretty good. The GPS isn't good enough that i could compare the lines i take like a LitPro would show but other than that it's great. I use the mountain bike mode, i find it pretty weird that they haven't implemented a motocross or enduro mode for it since there are so many other weird sports on it.

The Shop

moto711
3/7/2017 12:50pm
I use mine with my mountain bike and it work unbelievably well paired with strava (do make sure the watch is very tight around the wristto get the most accurate heart rate) and since i upgraded to the series 2 watch the watch has the built in GPS that works great. Been wanting to try it with moto but very hesitant since it is so expensive.
Rotaholic
3/7/2017 3:59pm
I really like the look of the Nixon Mission, its an action watch with GPS. I haven't purchased one yet but think I will pull the trigger. You can run strava an the likes stand alone. Looks like the best smartwatch at the moment and will get the android wear 3.0 update too.
kiwifan
3/7/2017 4:23pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Take a look at Garmin Fenix 3 HR
thats what I use too....with the stronger sapphire glass
racer495a
3/7/2017 4:33pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Take a look at Garmin Fenix 3 HR
kiwifan wrote:
thats what I use too....with the stronger sapphire glass
I've got the Fenix 3, amazing watch I use as a daily watch. The 920xt is lighter and a little slimmer but doesn't pass as a daily watch as easily. The Fenix is better for hiking also.
3/7/2017 5:17pm
I would absolutely NOT recommend the Apple watch for moto.

Its expensive, not tough, and not really THAT good at tracking physical activity. Sure you could do it but its a do everything device not a specific device.
jeffro503
3/7/2017 10:51pm
@Joe.....I'm an Android user , so I can't comment on the Apple watch. I'm also a Garmin user and still rocking the old , and big Garmin 305. And I'm getting ready to upgrade to ( I think and Garmin 230 ) that does not have the sensor on the watch. You can use the chest strap like I have here with my 305 , but after I get the 230 , I'm going to try one of these Scosche arm band / HRM in conjunction with the 230. I don't like using that chest strap , and the Scosche seems like it might be worth a try. This is what I'm talking about here >>> https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-RHYTHM-Heart-Monitor-Armband/dp/B00JQHTJ…

It may very well work with Apple products too , as the list seems to be pretty big with what it's compatible with. With a " watch sensor "....I'm not sure you'll get good readings from in that design.
22Ryann
Fantasy
4080th
3/8/2017 12:49am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2017 12:50am
Joe,

I met up with the builder of the RacerOne app at the track and he mentioned of the larger flaws with using the watch he is finding is it is really inaccurate with the data logging. which is a hardware problem. By inaccurate i mean for what moto guys essentially want it for, while running and jogging its probably fine.

Personally i use a Garmin 235 for cycling and moto and it works flawlessly.
8/11/2017 7:16am
I tried the App with my phone but the GPS didn't really work. I'll give the watch a try tomorrow. It should at least monitor heart...
I tried the App with my phone but the GPS didn't really work.

I'll give the watch a try tomorrow. It should at least monitor heart rate and time when you start the clock.
Did you ever try it out? Recently got a Apple watch series 2 and I love it for Mountain Biking with Strava. Curious how it would work with moto
Brent
8/11/2017 8:54am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 8:54am
Nope. The Apple Watch is an inaccurate toy when it comes to serious fitness tracking.

If you want accurate data you need a device that uses a chest strap and a HD GPS system.
Most fitness watches do not have a GPS radio thst can keep up with the high speeds and turns you see on your average moto track.
VonShofstall
8/11/2017 1:10pm
I'm not impressed with the Apple Watch 2 as a fitness tracker (I have one). I mounted my Garmin 510 from my road bike and used my Garmin HR strap. Not super Hi Res GPS data, but not bad either...Used the auto lap feature,
marked a position on the track, and bing...instant lap times!

Mouse153
8/11/2017 1:30pm
Anyone use an Apple watch for heart rate and workout calculations during riding? Does it work well? Do you put it on any specific workout mode?
I use the cycling mode and use it for both moto and offroad and it works great!
brian878
8/11/2017 6:58pm
I would absolutely NOT recommend the Apple watch for moto. Its expensive, not tough, and not really THAT good at tracking physical activity. Sure you could...
I would absolutely NOT recommend the Apple watch for moto.

Its expensive, not tough, and not really THAT good at tracking physical activity. Sure you could do it but its a do everything device not a specific device.
Generally true that an optical HR is going to be worse than a chest strap but it's not true that other watches have better HR. Of the optical HR devices Apple's is the most accurate but it's not perfect in part because optical HRM technology is susceptible to motion. In fact most of the other wrist based HRMs are garbage and highly inaccurate. All of this assumes that you have it in workout mode where it uses green light and not IR to make the measurements.

The accuracy of Apple Watch is highly impacted by motion and how snug you wear it matters. Too tight and there isn't enough signal (you squeeze all the blood out of your skin) and too loose and the watch will move around too much. Also a wrist based HR rate monitor will be impacted by finger motions as the tendons move inside your wrist but the watch will not sense this motion (not Apples nor will anyone else's). So watch HR accuracy will depend as on how much grip/hand motion you have. I'd recommend wearing it on your left hand since there is more hand motion on the throttle side. Also you ca improve accuracy by wearing it away from the wrist bones above the ulnar styloid (bump on outside of your arm where the ulna meets the wrist). This has several advantages; it moves the sensor away from tendons in the wrist and to a fleshy part of the "wrist" where there are more blood vessels. More blood vessels==> better signal.

I wear it for moto and it's been good for HR if you turn it into workout mode. In passive mode it will not work. This is because it uses IR in passive mode and IR that is more susceptible to motion.
Disclosure I formerly worked as an engineer in this area.
8/11/2017 7:50pm
I'm not impressed with the Apple Watch 2 as a fitness tracker (I have one). I mounted my Garmin 510 from my road bike and used...
I'm not impressed with the Apple Watch 2 as a fitness tracker (I have one). I mounted my Garmin 510 from my road bike and used my Garmin HR strap. Not super Hi Res GPS data, but not bad either...Used the auto lap feature,
marked a position on the track, and bing...instant lap times!

Great! I also use a 510 on my roadie. I have thought about mounting it for MX training. Specifically, how did you mount it and set it up? Did you create a segment or just hit "START" at the point on the track that you want to designate the start/finish line?
pietscher
8/12/2017 1:07am
Check out this article for more information on GPS based lap timing and what to expect: https://mxbuddy.wordpress.com

In my experience, the Apple Watch produces worse results than the Garmin watch. And as brian878 mentioned, heart rate isn’t precise either!

Despite I meanwhile switched to LITPro, I use my Garmin watch now and then and analyze my sessions / lap times with the MX Buddy App. The watch is small, sturdy and the lap times are off just a little (in my experience max 0.3s).
crockett
2/20/2018 11:19am
deciding between a apple watch and polar m430
does anyone mount there apple watch to the cross bar?
would be nice to look down while on a trail ride to view hr. and also ease of looking at lap times

anyone know of an app for apple watch that can set a automatic lap?
2/20/2018 11:32am
I wear mine every time I ride.

100% accurate? I doubt it. But does it give me some reference points? Yeah.

I just use the “cross training” mode.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
2/20/2018 2:32pm
if the glass breaks its $250 to replace it through apple... I use a Fitbit
4/23/2020 1:50pm
Refreshing this thread now that we are on version 5. Has anyone been using Apple Watch version 4 or 5 for moto?
4/23/2020 2:15pm
I used my apple watch for a few months, did not really like it. I now use the Polar H10 heart rate monitor and connect it to my phone. Works really well and pretty accurate. I use it for all my workouts and road bike rides. The h10 has enough storage(memory) to keep your entire workout/riding session, so you don't to have your phone on you when riding.
jtmaster
4/23/2020 3:15pm
I got a Garmin Fenix 3 from the Garmin Outlet and downloaded the moto sports app. If we are ever allowed to ride again, I’ll see how good it works.
F1prerun
4/23/2020 3:30pm
I use the Apple Watch with the Strava app and a heart rate strap. I have been fairly unsuccessful with the Apple Watch for heart rate with both arms sleeved. After the riding session you can go to strava.com and set your segments and get lap times.
4/23/2020 3:33pm
F1prerun wrote:
I use the Apple Watch with the Strava app and a heart rate strap. I have been fairly unsuccessful with the Apple Watch for heart rate...
I use the Apple Watch with the Strava app and a heart rate strap. I have been fairly unsuccessful with the Apple Watch for heart rate with both arms sleeved. After the riding session you can go to strava.com and set your segments and get lap times.
What do you mean with both arms sleeved? You would wear the watch under the sleeves correct?

Post a reply to: Apple Watch For Moto?

The Latest