Anyone with gas in oil, 2013 Honda CRF450R ?

sozo
1/16/2013 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2013 12:49pm
This is not a flame, but is anyone having issues with gas in their oil on their 2013 Honda 450 ? I'm getting at least a few ounces of gas in my oil after every ride. My motor is now gone after only a few hours (4) on the bike because the gas diluted the oil, wore the bearings. I even noticed the gas caused the rubber seals to expand.
|
sharkey
1/16/2013 5:12pm
a friend of mine had the same problem with low hrs on the bike about 10. he replaced the injector
mattbmx63
1/16/2013 5:16pm
I had that after I had the bike apart for a couple weeks while rebuilding the engine on my '09. Started running injector cleaner in all my gas and it hasn't done it since. Might want to give that a try. Also let the bike warm up really good before riding.
SEE ARE125
1/16/2013 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2013 6:19pm
You run pump gas with ethanol in it? If so, did it sit much since you put gas in it? That stuff is junk. It's ok I guess for something that gets driven everyday, but for things that might sit a while, lawn mowers, weedeaters, motorcycles, it'll start to break down and could clog up the fuel system. I'd say it may have clogged up the injector and/or ate up the seals. I'd suggest running 100% gas and/or some ethanol fuel treatment/injector cleaner from now on. I run 100% premium gas in everything from my wife's car to the pressure washer. I won't buy ethanol at all. Hope this helps.
ATKpilot99
1/16/2013 6:21pm
Isn't that common on EFI mxers?

The Shop

newmann
1/16/2013 6:37pm
What's Honda offered to do?
mx-4-2
1/16/2013 6:51pm
No issues with mine. 8-1/2 hours so far and all is good.
mcopsey
1/16/2013 7:54pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
You run pump gas with ethanol in it? If so, did it sit much since you put gas in it? That stuff is junk. It's ok...
You run pump gas with ethanol in it? If so, did it sit much since you put gas in it? That stuff is junk. It's ok I guess for something that gets driven everyday, but for things that might sit a while, lawn mowers, weedeaters, motorcycles, it'll start to break down and could clog up the fuel system. I'd say it may have clogged up the injector and/or ate up the seals. I'd suggest running 100% gas and/or some ethanol fuel treatment/injector cleaner from now on. I run 100% premium gas in everything from my wife's car to the pressure washer. I won't buy ethanol at all. Hope this helps.
Premium fuel doesn't mean ethanol free fuel. In Ohio ethanol free gas can be purchased at essentially a few marinas. In Tennessee it may be easier but it's not guaranteed. I run Star-Tron in everything from the 350 to the Scag.
slipdog
1/16/2013 8:07pm
newmann wrote:
What's Honda offered to do?
I know a guy that had it happen to his 2011 250f at 15hrs and after a handful of phone calls Honda covered it.
Steve_O
1/16/2013 8:36pm
I have a freind who has an 12 CRF450 and he was told there is a overflow pipe that comes out the bottom of the bike that is capped. You need to empty the fuel out of that every ride or so or it builds up to high and can leak back into the case... Not 100% sure on this but that is what was told to him. I assume it would be similar for the newer bike
Cheers
TerryK
1/16/2013 10:44pm
Steve_O wrote:
I have a freind who has an 12 CRF450 and he was told there is a overflow pipe that comes out the bottom of the bike...
I have a freind who has an 12 CRF450 and he was told there is a overflow pipe that comes out the bottom of the bike that is capped. You need to empty the fuel out of that every ride or so or it builds up to high and can leak back into the case... Not 100% sure on this but that is what was told to him. I assume it would be similar for the newer bike
Cheers
Overflow pipe from what?
gyd58
1/17/2013 5:13am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
You run pump gas with ethanol in it? If so, did it sit much since you put gas in it? That stuff is junk. It's ok...
mcopsey wrote:
Premium fuel doesn't mean ethanol free fuel. In Ohio ethanol free gas can be purchased at essentially a few marinas. In Tennessee it may be easier...
Premium fuel doesn't mean ethanol free fuel. In Ohio ethanol free gas can be purchased at essentially a few marinas. In Tennessee it may be easier but it's not guaranteed. I run Star-Tron in everything from the 350 to the Scag.
You can find ethanol free gas by state at this web site

http://pure-gas.org
SEE ARE125
1/17/2013 7:49am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2013 7:58am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mcopsey wrote:
Premium fuel doesn't mean ethanol free fuel. In Ohio ethanol free gas can be purchased at essentially a few marinas. In Tennessee it may be easier...
I know premium at most pumps isn't ethanol free. That's why I said 100% premium gas. Not the 90-10 mix you find at the ordinary premium gas pump. Sorry for the confusion. And if you read the sticker on the ordinary pumps it says a "This gasoline contains a MINIMUM of 10% ethanol," so who knows what you're really getting.. 90-10? 80-20? 50-50? But yeah, only about 3-4 gas stations around here have the 100% gasoline, and it's at a completely seperate pump over in the corner by itself. About 10 cents more per gallon, but my wife's car gets about 2-3 more mpg on the 100% gas as opposed to that ethanol crap and runs better too.
JB 19
1/17/2013 1:41pm
My 2012 CRF250 did that. After a ride I could smell gas in the oil. A lot of people on thumpertalk talk about this. Some of them say that if you bring it to TDC after you shut the engine off that it won't do it. I never had any luck with that.

I never had any problems other than the bike being hard to start. I change my oil about every 1.5 hrs though. That comes out to every 2 rides for me. Some guys on thumpertalk say they have been dealing with it for a few years with no big issues. Sorry your bike only lasted 4 hours.
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
1/20/2013 6:29pm
How much fuel would need to leak into your oil to dilute it enough to blow the bike up in 4 hours??

Like mentioned above, i have heard of old CRF's leaking fuel from the injector after it has been turned off, something to do with residual line pressure is what i heard, and it was supposed to be reasonably minimal. But to have it let go after 4 hours, something more than a little weeping seems to be occuring here.
MOTODAD422
1/21/2013 12:49pm
A friend of mine that was so frustrated over that,put a tee in fuel line with a little valve and cap.after he is done riding he vents the pressure in the hose and it cured it. I know that is extreme but it stopped the contamination of the oil. also when the bike is cold resist blipping the throttle until fully warmed up.
MudPup545
5/18/2017 5:14am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2017 5:30am
How often should I use injector cleaner? Every time I fill up?

Edit: Just found a gas station about 3 miles from my house that sells ethanol free gas. Thank you for link above.
Tuzzo123
5/18/2017 9:49am
Don't snap the throttle while you're warming it up, also when done riding, kick the bike over slowly until you come to Top Dead Center. I got this from a Honda Mechanic at the Red Bud National when I had my Honda.
5/18/2017 10:51am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2017 10:52am
haydos25 wrote:
How much fuel would need to leak into your oil to dilute it enough to blow the bike up in 4 hours?? Like mentioned above, i...
How much fuel would need to leak into your oil to dilute it enough to blow the bike up in 4 hours??

Like mentioned above, i have heard of old CRF's leaking fuel from the injector after it has been turned off, something to do with residual line pressure is what i heard, and it was supposed to be reasonably minimal. But to have it let go after 4 hours, something more than a little weeping seems to be occuring here.
Just a single ounce of gasoline in a 0.6 liter sump would mean it was 5% diluted. I think 2-4% is the typical alert level when looking at a used oil analysis depending on the machine. So if the OP is saying a few ounces of gas was in the oil it must be pretty significant. Since the dilution seriously cuts the viscosity of the oil down, the oil film gets thrashed in short order.

Post a reply to: Anyone with gas in oil, 2013 Honda CRF450R ?

The Latest