Anyone using swimming for MX conditioning?

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 6:38am
I'm considering replacing running, cycling and weight training with swimming as a more efficient/effective means of training, partially to relieve stress on knee and wrist joints. I haven't noticed any riders using swimming as a training tool...is it not desirable for MX conditioning?
|
4/27/2015 7:59pm
I used to. Couldn't recommend swimming for training highly enough.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/27/2015 8:11pm
Swimming is great training and it stretches out some of the muscles you need most and you get cardio at the same time.
Motoxdoc
4/27/2015 8:23pm
Joko wrote:
I'm considering replacing running, cycling and weight training with swimming as a more efficient/effective means of training, partially to relieve stress on knee and wrist joints...
I'm considering replacing running, cycling and weight training with swimming as a more efficient/effective means of training, partially to relieve stress on knee and wrist joints. I haven't noticed any riders using swimming as a training tool...is it not desirable for MX conditioning?
Swimming is an excellent training tool. It's non weight bearing on the spine and lower extremities. It promotes strengthening of the back muscles and extension of the spine and it's great cardio for he heart muscle....the most important muscle of the body! However, I would still include some heavier strengthening exercises for the legs. IMO, MX requires more legs and lower back strength than many people believe it does.

The Shop

The Rock
4/27/2015 8:23pm
+1000

Soaking in a hot tub for a half hour then swimming was my program at the Torrance YMCA when I lived in CA. When I travel I always look for places with a hot tub and pool or at a minimum a pool. The way I look at it I an going to take a shower in the AM anyway and why not get a soak and swim in first thing?

4/27/2015 9:11pm
I used to swim a lot back when I was in my teens to keep in shape during the PA winters. It also was a great method to recover from broken bones. It's one of the best training options. I am so beat up now I can't even run to the fridge for a beer lol. I need to get back in the pool. The indoor pool here in bend is freaking freezing! I hate being cold at the pool.
Fearo
4/28/2015 12:29am
Swimming is a great tool for moto, as long as you're doing aerobic swim sets, meaning longer, more steady state work. That's why it's great in the off-season for improving base fitness, especially for people (like myself) that live in places with hard winters..

I wouldn't do short anaerobic interval sets like you will see most actual swimmers do. Even though swimming uses nearly all of the "moto muscles", the actual stresses to the body from swimming are much different from moto, so when doing anaerobic work, I would stick with the thing that most closely resembles motocross: mountainbiking.
Question
4/28/2015 12:46am

I do not do but I think it is the best training for MX after MX itself.
JD35
4/28/2015 1:11am
Always worked for me well - so definitely recommend. I usually did long swims (30-40mins without a break) breaststroke and freestyle. Helped me a lot to control my breathing when on moto.
mmcmx
4/28/2015 1:19am
As a mxer, you already get a lot of impact on the joints so I'd definetly ditch the running. Cycling and swiming is a good combination. I've ben doing it for a while and feels awesome. Just be smart with the timing so you arent tired on your moto days!
kev472
4/28/2015 1:24am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 1:29am
If you think swimming can replace weight training, more power to you
However it does not,there are severly factors missing I.e. Mechanical tension for one
Even top olympic swimmers spend time in the weight room

For moto you need both endurance and strength, you should train as such , it's the law of specificity
SAID principle, Google it

Just my 2 cents
4/28/2015 1:46am
Joko wrote:
I'm considering replacing running, cycling and weight training with swimming as a more efficient/effective means of training, partially to relieve stress on knee and wrist joints...
Motoxdoc wrote:
Swimming is an excellent training tool. It's non weight bearing on the spine and lower extremities. It promotes strengthening of the back muscles and extension of...
Swimming is an excellent training tool. It's non weight bearing on the spine and lower extremities. It promotes strengthening of the back muscles and extension of the spine and it's great cardio for he heart muscle....the most important muscle of the body! However, I would still include some heavier strengthening exercises for the legs. IMO, MX requires more legs and lower back strength than many people believe it does.
spot on deadlifts , squats and swimming , ide also still do some rowing for vo2 max workouts its hard to beat for an all over workout
Jrewing
4/28/2015 3:49am
Surfing is a good workout especially in bigger swells.
Flip109
4/28/2015 5:29am
That will come In real handy incase you ever race a GP and get pushed inside the first turn and fall into a pond! Grinning
Spartacus
4/28/2015 5:38am
Classically retarded. One only has to look a tiny bit deeper to see the many athletes using some form of high intensity functional movement training. Call it CF or circuit training, there is a ton of research that shows the overall benefits of that type of training.

Whether someone choses to use it to enhance their performance in a sport or enjoys the sport of fitness in its self, why anyone cares if beyond me. Other than 'Merica now seems to function best on negativity.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/28/2015 6:24am
Every single pro surfer is ripped to the max. Men and women. If you see a fat surfer he is supposed to be 400lbs. Swimming works.
newmann
4/28/2015 6:38am
My son was on the high school swim team. He would make a good portion of pro motocrossers look like fatasses. Coach was a bit of a swim Nazi, five days a week workouts with a swim meet damn near every weekend...summers included. Training included weights and running as well. Pretty brutal.Laughing

Post a reply to: Anyone using swimming for MX conditioning?

The Latest