Anyone used the SFS air triple clamp vs. the new spring version?

smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2017 4:23am
Just bought the spring version, hoping I didn't make a mistake buying them, and not the air version? Anyone with experience with both?
|
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
9/15/2017 6:16pm
There was another thread on the air model & two member's had broken/cracked the clamps in the same spot. I wanted to try some too but that thread made me weary. I believe Neken did replace the clamps tho, which is good.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/15/2017 6:21pm
pCp 252 wrote:
There was another thread on the air model & two member's had broken/cracked the clamps in the same spot. I wanted to try some too but...
There was another thread on the air model & two member's had broken/cracked the clamps in the same spot. I wanted to try some too but that thread made me weary. I believe Neken did replace the clamps tho, which is good.
I have read that post..
so maybe they have moved away from air because of that?
BobPA
9/15/2017 6:24pm
smv ryder wrote:
I have read that post..
They did not shy away from the air because of two vital members. They are still producing them, actually came out with an updated version not too long ago. Try them, they are sweet.
MB109
9/15/2017 6:32pm
Always wanted to try the top clamp, anyone know if they made one that fit pre-2014 YZ 2 strokes? Emailed them twice with no response.

The Shop

Charper732
9/15/2017 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2017 6:34pm
I had the air model on my 250sx. I had an issue with them leaking but neken customer service was top notch. I rode another s250sx with stock clamps back to back. IMO its really not worth it.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/15/2017 7:10pm
smv ryder wrote:
I have read that post..
BobPA wrote:
They did not shy away from the air because of two vital members. They are still producing them, actually came out with an updated version not...
They did not shy away from the air because of two vital members. They are still producing them, actually came out with an updated version not too long ago. Try them, they are sweet.
Of course they didn't my man.
So Neken came out with an updated air triple clamp? Or you referring to the new spring version?
I know you have experience with them because yours is for sale in the swap but why?
BobPA
9/15/2017 8:22pm
smv ryder wrote:
I have read that post..
BobPA wrote:
They did not shy away from the air because of two vital members. They are still producing them, actually came out with an updated version not...
smv ryder wrote:
Of course they didn't my man. So Neken came out with an updated air triple clamp? Or you referring to the new spring version? I know...
Of course they didn't my man.
So Neken came out with an updated air triple clamp? Or you referring to the new spring version?
I know you have experience with them because yours is for sale in the swap but why?
I should have mentioned my first comment was sarcasm...came off a bit dickish haha. The new design has a different design attaching the shocks, appears to be beefier...can be seen in the second page of the thread about the broken sets. I have about 75 hours on mine and they are still perfect.

To be honest, I am gathering every penny I can. I am in the process of building a garage and I am trying to avoid another loan. So if they sell, they sell, if not...I will be gladly bolting them back on
Millerrr973
9/15/2017 8:27pm
pCp 252 wrote:
There was another thread on the air model & two member's had broken/cracked the clamps in the same spot. I wanted to try some too but...
I had a top clamps that was cracked and they replace mine, no questions ask. Just got them back this week.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/18/2017 4:30pm
BobPA wrote:
I should have mentioned my first comment was sarcasm...came off a bit dickish haha. The new design has a different design attaching the shocks, appears to...
I should have mentioned my first comment was sarcasm...came off a bit dickish haha. The new design has a different design attaching the shocks, appears to be beefier...can be seen in the second page of the thread about the broken sets. I have about 75 hours on mine and they are still perfect.

To be honest, I am gathering every penny I can. I am in the process of building a garage and I am trying to avoid another loan. So if they sell, they sell, if not...I will be gladly bolting them back on
All good my man!! You have answered questions about my KX so I know you are cool Kat! So I called Munn Racing who I bought them from. So mine are like a SFF design, spring on one side and air on the other. So not sure if this is even the design you are running???

I pray they sell my man! Loans are silly
FTB
9/18/2017 4:41pm
MB109 wrote:
Always wanted to try the top clamp, anyone know if they made one that fit pre-2014 YZ 2 strokes? Emailed them twice with no response.
Have they changed the YZ clamps since 06/08? NAFAIK, so they should fit 06 and up.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/18/2017 4:44pm
I had a top clamps that was cracked and they replace mine, no questions ask. Just got them back this week.
Will you reinstall the top clamps? Or nervous?
bgpn35
9/18/2017 5:23pm
I am one of the guys that had a issue with them and neken replaced them with the updated clamp, I am trying to sell them because I sold my 250f right after they sent me the new upper so I never got to use it. I'm waiting on my 18 yz450 to get here and sell these to buy a 22mm offset for it.

xr70
9/18/2017 5:36pm
I was going to get a set but then I realized that will be just a other thing to mess with it and worry about it and I said fuckit.
They looks sick but is just a other worthless blink blink for lots money!
Motofinne
9/18/2017 5:50pm
xr70 wrote:
I was going to get a set but then I realized that will be just a other thing to mess with it and worry about it...
I was going to get a set but then I realized that will be just a other thing to mess with it and worry about it and I said fuckit.
I was in the same situation as you, i actually was offered an extremely good deal on a brand new set for my SXf 450 2017(570€). I declined and went with a 22-24mm adjustable offset X-Trig ROCS clamp.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/18/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 5:57pm
xr70 wrote:
I was going to get a set but then I realized that will be just a other thing to mess with it and worry about it...
Motofinne wrote:
I was in the same situation as you, i actually was offered an extremely good deal on a brand new set for my SXf 450 2017(570€)...
I was in the same situation as you, i actually was offered an extremely good deal on a brand new set for my SXf 450 2017(570€). I declined and went with a 22-24mm adjustable offset X-Trig ROCS clamp.
I paid $540 bucks American for them.. brand new gals

But yes One more fucking thing to tinker with. But I said that about ride engineering hspd steering stabilizer and I don't mess with it one bit. We will see
Spooner
9/18/2017 6:51pm
The new coil ones don't replace the full air version, its just more of a price point product. The coil spring does still have an adjustable air spring.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/18/2017 7:14pm
Spooner wrote:
The new coil ones don't replace the full air version, its just more of a price point product. The coil spring does still have an adjustable...
The new coil ones don't replace the full air version, its just more of a price point product. The coil spring does still have an adjustable air spring.
Correct
I was hoping for the full air versions but got caught up in the cheap price and got the new price point version. Ahh fuck it
We will see
PFitzG38
9/19/2017 1:01pm
Quick question. I just got the SFS original air. How do you loosen the clamps if you twist the bars? Is there a special wrench to loosen that ring around the damping chamber?
IceMan446
9/19/2017 1:24pm
PHDS or SFS for any of those that have tried both??
BobPA
9/19/2017 2:02pm
BobPA wrote:
I should have mentioned my first comment was sarcasm...came off a bit dickish haha. The new design has a different design attaching the shocks, appears to...

smv ryder wrote:
All good my man!! You have answered questions about my KX so I know you are cool Kat! So I called Munn Racing who I bought...
All good my man!! You have answered questions about my KX so I know you are cool Kat! So I called Munn Racing who I bought them from. So mine are like a SFF design, spring on one side and air on the other. So not sure if this is even the design you are running???

I pray they sell my man! Loans are silly
You know I never actually looked how if the chambers are different. I bought them a while ago and bolted them on...Put a ton of hours on my 350 and then sold it for a new 450 early this year. I was going to bolt them on my bike as soon as I got it, but I felt bad cannibalizing a brand new bike haha. If they do not sell I will slap them on the new ride when I frame the bike over winter.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/19/2017 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2017 5:54pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I will have both... give me this weekend for a test

I have been very happy with the phds, not the craziest steering stabilizer like a Scott's but fits what I needed it to do. Mine was revalved for off road with a Racetech gold valve by Motovate Racing in Rifle Colorado
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/19/2017 5:56pm
BobPA wrote:
You know I never actually looked how if the chambers are different. I bought them a while ago and bolted them on...Put a ton of hours...
You know I never actually looked how if the chambers are different. I bought them a while ago and bolted them on...Put a ton of hours on my 350 and then sold it for a new 450 early this year. I was going to bolt them on my bike as soon as I got it, but I felt bad cannibalizing a brand new bike haha. If they do not sell I will slap them on the new ride when I frame the bike over winter.
Nice my man!!
FRANZINI499
9/19/2017 7:07pm
IceMan446 wrote:
smv ryder wrote:
I will have both... give me this weekend for a test I have been very happy with the phds, not the craziest steering stabilizer like a...
I will have both... give me this weekend for a test

I have been very happy with the phds, not the craziest steering stabilizer like a Scott's but fits what I needed it to do. Mine was revalved for off road with a Racetech gold valve by Motovate Racing in Rifle Colorado
I think what you meant was the HPSD, steering damper. He was talking about the X-Trig PHDS bar mounts. Common mistake since they're the same letters in a different order haha! They do mean very different things though, Honda Progressive Steering Damper vs. Progressive Handlebar Damping System.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/19/2017 7:55pm
I think what you meant was the HPSD, steering damper. He was talking about the X-Trig PHDS bar mounts. Common mistake since they're the same letters...
I think what you meant was the HPSD, steering damper. He was talking about the X-Trig PHDS bar mounts. Common mistake since they're the same letters in a different order haha! They do mean very different things though, Honda Progressive Steering Damper vs. Progressive Handlebar Damping System.
Yep just got served... sorry dudes for the mistake

Thanks bro!
MT952
9/20/2017 7:03pm

I got a pair of the new spring air ones. Installed them and tried them out today. Liked them. Will have to pump them up and ride them back to back. I never rode with the all air ones. So I can't compare them.

75 psi break in period used about half the 10mm stroke. Will mess with air pressure next time out.

Mike

smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/20/2017 7:14pm
MT952 wrote:
I got a pair of the new spring air ones. Installed them and tried them out today. Liked them. Will have to pump them up and...

I got a pair of the new spring air ones. Installed them and tried them out today. Liked them. Will have to pump them up and ride them back to back. I never rode with the all air ones. So I can't compare them.

75 psi break in period used about half the 10mm stroke. Will mess with air pressure next time out.

Mike

Hell yes my man!! Stoked you like them and praying I do as well.
What pump did you buy?
You using the bike for MX? Single track? ??
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/20/2017 8:16pm
MT952 wrote:
i used the Pump from my AER forks. MX only, Dont ride in the woods. i posted a longer write up here at the request of...
i used the Pump from my AER forks.

MX only, Dont ride in the woods.

i posted a longer write up here at the request of a member

i think you can see it if your not a member of the site.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?537812-Nekken-SFS-tripple-clamps

mike
Ktmtalk member and read your post! Thank you !
FTB
9/20/2017 9:41pm
MT952 wrote:
i used the Pump from my AER forks. MX only, Dont ride in the woods. i posted a longer write up here at the request of...
i used the Pump from my AER forks.

MX only, Dont ride in the woods.

i posted a longer write up here at the request of a member

i think you can see it if your not a member of the site.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?537812-Nekken-SFS-tripple-clamps

mike
Why MX only?
MT952
9/21/2017 4:23am
FTB wrote:
Why MX only?
Because i'm short and fall over too much in the woods, unless i dont stop. If i have to put my foot down the bike is over too far for me to hold it up. So i typically end up jumping off or falling off. with a bad left knee and bad right ankle its just easier to not ride in the woods.

mike

Post a reply to: Anyone used the SFS air triple clamp vs. the new spring version?

The Latest