Anyone use the F-150 loading ramps?

9/22/2016 8:04pm
About to buy my first real bike, and will be hauling it around in my F-150.

Looking for something sleek to help with loading/unloading the bike. Not interested in carrying around a board.

Has anyone used the F-150 ramp?

I like that it 'clips' into the tailgate, and that it stores nicely on the wall of the bed. But it's definitely overpriced at $370.

https://accessories.ford.com/ramp-asy-11273.html
|
Hut
9/22/2016 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 8:07pm
I have never seen that before but it looks easily worth that price to me. Very nice!
NHtoWA421
9/22/2016 8:24pm
Dang! I have never seen that! I I will definitely look into that. Do you know if it works with the f150 bed extender?

Just bought a lariat ecoboost last month. Worth every penny!

731chopper
Fantasy
390th
9/22/2016 8:41pm
I've never seen one in person. I thought about getting it when I ordered my last truck but was leery of how well it'd hold up and if its storage spot would even work after loading 2 bikes. I got the bed extender which was a good buy even though it doesn't work for 3 bikes. Here's a picture of the bed extender (and my old man's rear end). With either 1 or 2 bikes in the back it locks together fine.

For a ramp, I've been using a folding aluminum ramp I bought from Cycle Gear for years. You can use a tiedown strapped to the ramp and your trailer hitch to make it secure while loading the bikes.

mirramaxx
9/22/2016 8:42pm
Here's my setup
I use one for the bike and one to walk on. Also fold up to store in the cab if I want. My brother got them for me at Walmart haha. Nice getting good mpg while hauling the dirt cycle!

The Shop

RandyS
9/22/2016 10:06pm
I have an F150, I have a 2 x 12 with an aluminum tongue. The very first time I ever rode a motorcycle in 1969 my Z50 went up it. I don't think I've ever put a bike in my truck when I didn't use it. When I was little my Dad told me never to ride up it so when I started driving myself of course I rode up it and have every time for the last 38 years. Same aluminum, same 2 x 12. Sucks that you can't get old growth lumber anymore.
billyslap
9/23/2016 5:10am
I have had a dealer demonstrate them for me to see if I would want them.

Nope they were hoakie. Didn't like them at all.

Before you buy find a dealer with one and use them you'll see what I mean.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
9/23/2016 5:35am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 5:36am
370 bucks for a motorcycle ramp? Wow. Are they gold plated?
MxKyle (MD)
9/23/2016 7:02am
SweetDaddy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/23/153095/s1200_KTM_Muddy.jpg[/img]

Now why do you own a pickup again?? :-)
MX558
9/23/2016 7:10am
6 ft ramp harbor freight. I also used a 2x10 for 5 years lol
4rings
9/23/2016 7:21am
+1 for the harbor freight ramp.
9/23/2016 8:13am
billyslap wrote:
I have had a dealer demonstrate them for me to see if I would want them. Nope they were hoakie. Didn't like them at all. Before...

Mind expanding upon that? Were they flimsy? Too steep?

Like I said I've yet to own a full-size bike, and have never tried to load one in a truck so have no ramp experience—not sure I'd pick up on what's bad about them until it's too late.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
9/23/2016 8:34am
MX558 wrote:
6 ft ramp harbor freight. I also used a 2x10 for 5 years lol
Yep, set of two for 69 bucks
kkawboy14
9/23/2016 8:44am
If someone in the Austin tx area is looking for a Trailor, I have 1 on Craigslist for sale.
9/23/2016 8:59am
I don't get why all the americans use pick ups to put their bikes on.... Here in Europe everybody uses either a van (vw transporter, mercedes sprinter) or a trailer. Pick ups are just so impractical.
ga_pike
9/23/2016 10:23am
I don't get why all the americans use pick ups to put their bikes on.... Here in Europe everybody uses either a van (vw transporter, mercedes...
I don't get why all the americans use pick ups to put their bikes on.... Here in Europe everybody uses either a van (vw transporter, mercedes sprinter) or a trailer. Pick ups are just so impractical.
Because 'Merica!!!

I have a pickup because I haul lots of different stuff including dirt, gravel, trash, dogs, and even a bike or 2. Let's see you drop a load of cow manure in your van and drive it across town.
crusher773
9/23/2016 10:57am
I don't get why all the americans use pick ups to put their bikes on.... Here in Europe everybody uses either a van (vw transporter, mercedes...
ga_pike wrote:
Because 'Merica!!! I have a pickup because I haul lots of different stuff including dirt, gravel, trash, dogs, and even a bike or 2. Let's see...
Because 'Merica!!!

I have a pickup because I haul lots of different stuff including dirt, gravel, trash, dogs, and even a bike or 2. Let's see you drop a load of cow manure in your van and drive it across town.
I agree I have a double carrier even and it leaves the back of the truck for all the gear and other stuff. It hauls 2 big bikes no problem. I could haul 5 bikes easily if I wanted to. Good alternative to a trailer has worked great for years.
9/23/2016 11:31am
ga_pike wrote:
Because 'Merica!!! I have a pickup because I haul lots of different stuff including dirt, gravel, trash, dogs, and even a bike or 2. Let's see...
Because 'Merica!!!

We have tractors for that.
Krazyk2774
9/23/2016 11:42am
ga_pike wrote:
Because 'Merica!!!

We have tractors for that.
Way more space over here, the farms are huge! it would talk half a day to drive a tractor from one side of some farms to the other. I have 2 good friends that farm, one does about 7500 acres ant the other does 5000. I bought a set of aluminum quad ramps. I use one for the bike and one for me.
MX4EVR
9/23/2016 2:29pm
Real ballers use a board like me Smile
billyslap
9/23/2016 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 3:09pm
billyslap wrote:
I have had a dealer demonstrate them for me to see if I would want them. Nope they were hoakie. Didn't like them at all. Before...

Mind expanding upon that? Were they flimsy? Too steep? Like I said I've yet to own a full-size bike, and have never tried to load one...
Mind expanding upon that? Were they flimsy? Too steep?

Like I said I've yet to own a full-size bike, and have never tried to load one in a truck so have no ramp experience—not sure I'd pick up on what's bad about them until it's too late.
Sure no problem. The F150 bed has 4 places you can put these cleats in the bed for tie down straps. You can see the first pic below. To use the loading ramps those cleats come out and another bracket pops into place.

So number 1 you will lose the cleats for tie downs.

Then the whole process of getting the ramps onto the brackets was a pain in the butt. Now granted this was mine and the salesmans first time messing with them so with some practice it may become easier.

Anyhow once in place they take up a lot of room in the bed because they don't fit as close to the bed side wall as you may think. So that is con number two.

Then to secure them on there bracket is another pain. It's been almost a year since I have messed with them so I can't recall but there are a couple of pins or cables to secure them. You can see them in the last pic. One is the lock in the back you can just see the orange lock above the "F" in Fairway Ford. Then there is one on the front too.

So to take them out you have to unlock two locks, undo two cables, pop a couple pins then wrangle them off the brackets. Then there was this piece on the tailgate that you had to wiggle them in from the side. It was also a pain as it was sorta a tight fit. Really that was the only reason I really wanted them was the security of it being locked to the tailgate.

But after messing with them for twenty minutes I realized this was more trouble than it was worth. Just throw an aluminum ramp in there and be done with it. Plus it was $5-600 option.

I would just advise anyone that wants these to go to the dealer and play with them for a minute. Have them all locked up and secure then take em out and set them up. Then resecure them in the bed. If you think about it for one minute you'll realize the old fold in half aluminum ramp you slide under or in between your bikes is faster, easier, cheaper, better.

rbabb524
9/23/2016 3:19pm
I use one of these. Works awesome. Don't have to angle bikes. Don't have to worry about anything falling out and doesn't take up any bed space. Also it's pretty strong. I used it once to load a Harley for my friend.
billyslap
9/23/2016 3:36pm
rbabb524 wrote:
I use one of these. Works awesome. Don't have to angle bikes. Don't have to worry about anything falling out and doesn't take up any bed...
I use one of these. Works awesome. Don't have to angle bikes. Don't have to worry about anything falling out and doesn't take up any bed space. Also it's pretty strong. I used it once to load a Harley for my friend.
That looks cool
Hut
9/23/2016 3:42pm
Honestly I don't even use ramps that often. I just pick up bike and roll it into the bed.
Hut
9/23/2016 3:44pm
Impractical? That is all I own. Hauls everything
JWACK
9/23/2016 3:46pm
Hut wrote:
Honestly I don't even use ramps that often. I just pick up bike and roll it into the bed.
You beast.
JWACK
9/23/2016 3:54pm
I drive a Ford F-350 for safety. If a car or van hits me, I win. I lose only to semis and trains. That seems fairly practical to me.

Post a reply to: Anyone use the F-150 loading ramps?

The Latest