Anyone use a GPR stabilizer for moto?

groggylbc
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 10:17pm
I have Scotts, but got xtrig triple clamps. They are not compatible for submount, but GPR is.
My Scotts has free play till about half way to the stoppers....works great. I felt a GPR on a bike the other day, it was the opposite. Tension at first, then free play. Scotts works great for moto and desert. Not sure about the GPR for moto..... Thanks
|
PBRvince
Fantasy
2055th
3/18/2020 6:02pm
I have a GPR and use it for GPs and desert, it's fine for both of those but when I ride/race Glen Helen or LACR I turn the stabilizer down to the lowest setting, later in the day I'll go between 1 and 2 for the breaking bumps. I had it on 3 once I had trouble cornering. (more than usual). For moto it does help with the breaking bumps, just don't set it to too high of a setting.
3/18/2020 6:09pm
I used to have a GPR on an older bike while playing around at Cahuilla Creek when it was really Muddy, it worked extremely well, Ruts were really deep!

If I am willing to part with the money I will get another. I would prefer to buy the Honda Style Steering Stabilizer, but you have to spend for the Triple Clamps as well.
BUTWHY?
3/18/2020 6:39pm
I found that unless you are an advance rider and really pushing the suspension, even on the lowest setting, the stabilizer works too much at the track and causes steering lock. This is coming from a medium skilled vet rider.
ktmwoods
3/18/2020 7:28pm
Have one, use it, love it. As others have said, just turn down when you don't need much, but in rockier terrain/deflection and high speed zones or woods/single track it is a MASSIVE benefit.

The Shop

groggylbc
3/18/2020 7:40pm
PBRvince wrote:
I have a GPR and use it for GPs and desert, it's fine for both of those but when I ride/race Glen Helen or LACR I...
I have a GPR and use it for GPs and desert, it's fine for both of those but when I ride/race Glen Helen or LACR I turn the stabilizer down to the lowest setting, later in the day I'll go between 1 and 2 for the breaking bumps. I had it on 3 once I had trouble cornering. (more than usual). For moto it does help with the breaking bumps, just don't set it to too high of a setting.
when you put yours on the lowest setting does it still have tension or damping? when i was messing around with that one on that bike...it still had quite a bit of damping on setting number 1.
i race a lot of the big 6 stuff as well as race at LACR and GH
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
3/18/2020 8:17pm
groggylbc wrote:
I have Scotts, but got xtrig triple clamps. They are not compatible for submount, but GPR is. My Scotts has free play till about half way...
I have Scotts, but got xtrig triple clamps. They are not compatible for submount, but GPR is.
My Scotts has free play till about half way to the stoppers....works great. I felt a GPR on a bike the other day, it was the opposite. Tension at first, then free play. Scotts works great for moto and desert. Not sure about the GPR for moto..... Thanks
the GPR is not where near as good as the Scotts/ohlins, but its better than a WER, have used all 3 for moto, the last of the ohlins underbar ones are awesome but no longer made Sad
Highflier
3/18/2020 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2020 8:59pm
I’ve ridden with both, Scott’s and GPR over the last 15+ years.
Overall I’ll give GPR the nod for the lesser transmission of steering input to the chassis.

I really liked their Pro Mount setup until recently, purchased 3 of their Pro Mounts before. .
The Pro Mount is an upper clamp that is machined for their low profile stabilizer, very slick, and very expensive.

That said, I’m out ever doing business with GPR again.

in 2017 I bought a new XCF 350 and had the dealer add a few parts before delivery.
One being a GPR Pro Mount.
About 5 hours in and wondering why the front end felt strange, I took it all apart to check.
Right away I saw the GPR upper clamp was wonky.
It was 2 degrees off the stock angle and stock lower clamp.

Called GPR, they had the dealer purchase record and compared to the part number I had in hand.
Guy on the phone stated the part I had wasn’t even close to what should have been sent.
I asked and he confirmed, they sometimes make mistakes with packaging.
No worries.
As they asked, I sent the part back and waited for a proper replacement

What I got was a phone call saying this should never have been put on the bike and since it had been installed and now had wear, they would only offer to sell me a proper part AT FULL PRICE.
Guy on the phone agreed that they should help out with a little discount, but was told nope, boss said no discount.
We can’t resell it, full price.
I pointed out and they have in their records I had purchased 2 or 3 stabilizers directly from them.
Only choice I was given was to pay full price for a clamp to use the stabilizer and post I already had.
I decided to suck it up and buy what I needed and move on.

However, when I’ve seen the opportunity to share the poor treatment that GPR has toward their customers, I will speak up and say, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Steve Sewell
Cypress, Texas

Look it up GPR, I’m in your records...
LungButter
3/18/2020 8:38pm
I used to have a GPR with lighter oil than the standard one, it was great.

I imagine if you purchase right from GPR that is something they can do for you.
PBRvince
Fantasy
2055th
3/18/2020 10:14pm
PBRvince wrote:
I have a GPR and use it for GPs and desert, it's fine for both of those but when I ride/race Glen Helen or LACR I...
groggylbc wrote:
when you put yours on the lowest setting does it still have tension or damping? when i was messing around with that one on that bike...it...
when you put yours on the lowest setting does it still have tension or damping? when i was messing around with that one on that bike...it still had quite a bit of damping on setting number 1.
i race a lot of the big 6 stuff as well as race at LACR and GH
At the lowest setting it feels as if there's no stabilizer. Always check to make sure its at the lowest setting as the dial can go past the lowest setting and you can end up on the stiffest setting which I believe is 8, happened to me before... I run the GPR4 with the under bar mount, very clean design. For Big6 I usually keep it at 2 1/2 sometimes 3.
r.sal923
3/19/2020 10:48am
I had one on a 2009 yz250f. Only used it for Moto on lowest setting. I fell over in a corner and my leg must have hit the knob from 1 to 9 , when I got up and going I made it 10 feet before I crashed again. That was a design flaw in that.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
3/19/2020 4:49pm
IMO you need a Showa stabilizer which Ride Engineering sells and sells an adapter kit for every bike I believe. I frame mounted mine because I am running Neken SFS triple clamps. The GPR is too much resistance for me, even on setting 1 but different stroked for different folks. Some dudes don’t like the feel of my set up.
coastie44
3/19/2020 7:46pm
I ran a GPR stabilizer on my last 4 bikes (07 CRF450, 13 450SXF, 13 KX450, 15 350 SXF) and ride vet moto only. I'm a little slower now but during that period I was running a fast vet intermediate (OTHG expert) speed.

Then I bought a 17 KX450 (and 19 KX450) and IMHO neither of those bikes benefit from the GPR for moto (when the suspension is set up well).
groggylbc
3/19/2020 8:57pm
coastie44 wrote:
I ran a GPR stabilizer on my last 4 bikes (07 CRF450, 13 450SXF, 13 KX450, 15 350 SXF) and ride vet moto only. I'm a...
I ran a GPR stabilizer on my last 4 bikes (07 CRF450, 13 450SXF, 13 KX450, 15 350 SXF) and ride vet moto only. I'm a little slower now but during that period I was running a fast vet intermediate (OTHG expert) speed.

Then I bought a 17 KX450 (and 19 KX450) and IMHO neither of those bikes benefit from the GPR for moto (when the suspension is set up well).
Im OTMX 50+intermediate. So not fast, but not slow. Soo, are you saying that all the bikes did benefit from the stabilizer, but your new KX's dont need them?
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
3/19/2020 9:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2020 9:26pm
groggylbc wrote:
are these things adjustable other then oil and revalving?
Yes sir that red dial on mine does noticeable changes.
Nothing too crazy and not like changing 1 to 9 on a Scott’s or GPR
coastie44
3/20/2020 7:31am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2020 7:41am
coastie44 wrote:
I ran a GPR stabilizer on my last 4 bikes (07 CRF450, 13 450SXF, 13 KX450, 15 350 SXF) and ride vet moto only. I'm a...

groggylbc wrote:
Im OTMX 50+intermediate. So not fast, but not slow. Soo, are you saying that all the bikes did benefit from the stabilizer, but your new KX's...
Im OTMX 50+intermediate. So not fast, but not slow. Soo, are you saying that all the bikes did benefit from the stabilizer, but your new KX's dont need them?
We are probably similar in speed. I'm 54 now and don't race anymore but ride practice days with the OTMX.

Yes, all the others really helped in fast rough sections (like GH) but I was really surprised that my '17 KXF really didn't give me any trouble. I was planning to buy the mount to move the GPR from my '13 to the '17 bike, but never found I needed to. I did have some initial trouble with the '19 KX and bought the mount for it but took it off at the track after two motos. Ultimately was just my suspension setup. After I dialed that in it's as stable as the '17 (or more). Mainly the forks were too stiff (long story; but just removing 20cc of fork oil and some compression tweaks took care of it).

But with that said, if you have the cash or don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking suspension settings, the GPR works well and there is really no downside once you get used to the "slow steering" during tight turns. And like the others, I always ran mine on the "1-2" settings for moto and even had GPR use lighter oil when returned for service.
ktmwoods
3/23/2020 10:54am
smv ryder wrote:
IMO you need a Showa stabilizer which Ride Engineering sells and sells an adapter kit for every bike I believe. I frame mounted mine because I...
IMO you need a Showa stabilizer which Ride Engineering sells and sells an adapter kit for every bike I believe. I frame mounted mine because I am running Neken SFS triple clamps. The GPR is too much resistance for me, even on setting 1 but different stroked for different folks. Some dudes don’t like the feel of my set up.
Curious as the the workings of the inners on that system, especially since it is mounted in the center position vs offset?

Anyone have a layman explanation of the physics on this type of system? I recall the Honda version was offset / not centered so the arm was extended/retracted with a set level of resistance. Maybe I am being dumb? (likely)
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
3/23/2020 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 10:17pm
ktmwoods wrote:
Curious as the the workings of the inners on that system, especially since it is mounted in the center position vs offset? Anyone have a layman...
Curious as the the workings of the inners on that system, especially since it is mounted in the center position vs offset?

Anyone have a layman explanation of the physics on this type of system? I recall the Honda version was offset / not centered so the arm was extended/retracted with a set level of resistance. Maybe I am being dumb? (likely)
motodad3x
1/18/2024 10:43am

Do not buy a GPR.  You will constantly be trying to rebuild them, replacing the proprietary O ring that doesn't last long.  But try to go on to the GPR website and buy any parts.  No, you can't.  Maybe they will schedule a call for you to talk to them and maybe they will actually be on the call.  You will have problems with the stablizer and even more problems when you need parts and support.

Hondarider68
1/18/2024 11:02am
groggylbc wrote:
I have Scotts, but got xtrig triple clamps. They are not compatible for submount, but GPR is. My Scotts has free play till about half way...

i have this mount for my scotts stabilizer with xtrig 2018crf450 frame

https://shopbrp.com/dirt-bike-parts-shop/dirt-bike-performance-parts/ho…

coastie44
1/18/2024 11:02am
motodad3x wrote:
Do not buy a GPR.  You will constantly be trying to rebuild them, replacing the proprietary O ring that doesn't last long.  But try to go...

Do not buy a GPR.  You will constantly be trying to rebuild them, replacing the proprietary O ring that doesn't last long.  But try to go on to the GPR website and buy any parts.  No, you can't.  Maybe they will schedule a call for you to talk to them and maybe they will actually be on the call.  You will have problems with the stablizer and even more problems when you need parts and support.

That was not my experience.

Kyle978
1/18/2024 11:15am

I started running the Precision Racing stabilizer set up with X-trig clamps a couple years ago. I really like how it mounts low and doesn't require different mounts. 

For off-road it's amazing, just as good as any Scots or GPR set up without having the damper sitting up high. On the moto track, I find I really like it on rough tracks like Glen Helen. I notice it most when entering rough corners at speed, helps smooth out the arc of my corner and loosen my grip a bit. On tighter tracks I don't really notice it. I usually run it on setting 3/10 for moto and 5 or 6/10 for off-road. 

You can still move the bars quickly to scrub/whip, I don't really notice it negatively on the track.

IMG 5982 copy 0

coastie44
1/18/2024 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2024 1:57pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I started running the Precision Racing stabilizer set up with X-trig clamps a couple years ago. I really like how it mounts low and doesn't require...

I started running the Precision Racing stabilizer set up with X-trig clamps a couple years ago. I really like how it mounts low and doesn't require different mounts. 

For off-road it's amazing, just as good as any Scots or GPR set up without having the damper sitting up high. On the moto track, I find I really like it on rough tracks like Glen Helen. I notice it most when entering rough corners at speed, helps smooth out the arc of my corner and loosen my grip a bit. On tighter tracks I don't really notice it. I usually run it on setting 3/10 for moto and 5 or 6/10 for off-road. 

You can still move the bars quickly to scrub/whip, I don't really notice it negatively on the track.

IMG 5982 copy 0

Hey, that looks cool. Especially that you can run it with xtrig and doesn't raise your bars at all (I ended up always buying the lowest rise bars I could find). I would also have liked to have run the GPR with xtrig clamps but couldn't. 

That Precision one does look super burly compared to the GPR rig though. Not sure how I feel about that for moto :-).

EDIT: I see on their website the unit only weighs a pound. If I ever get back on a bike, I'll look at getting one of these. Def worth a try!

Gravel
1/18/2024 8:42pm

I’ve got a GPR on an older KTM 450xc and a Scott’s on my 2018 KTM 450/500. Really like them both, Scott’s is a bit lighter feeling but either one is a good thing. Low settings so they don’t get the “can’t turn” feeling, they still take care of the sudden jolts that cause problems. As an old guy who hates working out, I don’t like riding without one.

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
1/19/2024 8:11am

I use the Precision on my personal bike. Great damper: lightweight, compact, and doesn't alter bar position. It's what we recommend to everyone who asks.

20231028 125958

1/19/2024 8:20am
Luxon MX wrote:
I use the Precision on my personal bike. Great damper: lightweight, compact, and doesn't alter bar position. It's what we recommend to everyone who asks.

20231028 125958

I really wish they made a mounting bracket for the 02-07 cr. I’m considering a stabilizer for off-road but I haven’t seen any options that don’t raise the bars 

Gravel
1/19/2024 9:23am
Luxon MX wrote:

20231028 125958

If I was buying a stabilizer today, that’s what I’d buy. Cleanest most versatile mounting of all. But for me, all the stabilizers work great, I’m just not that sensitive to the differences between the different types, as long as I have one.

Gravel
1/19/2024 9:30am

It’s a bummer to hear GPR has problems with service these days, they used to have awesome customer service. Free rebuilds at the races for racers was the unspoken standard. They upgraded mine to new units twice for about 40% of the price of the new unit, that kept me on the latest and greatest GPR for 10 years. 

Post a reply to: Anyone use a GPR stabilizer for moto?

The Latest