Henry_Van
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 8:09am
Or have any feedback on them
|
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/25/2016 8:14am
Surprised to see no replies; we've sold a lot of them! Even riders riding for other companies are using them in SX and some factory guys overseas.

In the May 2016 issue of Transworld (Craig on the cover), they tested one with a full revalve to match (RMZ450). Here is a piece from that, "While the suspension action was noticeably smoother, it was what we didn't notice that reallymade us appreciate Race Tech's efforts. Gone were all the inconsistent quirks of the air fork that would draw your focus away from just hitting lines-the unnecessary chatter of small track imperfections, the vague wandering entering corners, and the surprising "pop" of an unexpected bottoming out. The bike handled as we expected it to and went where we pointed it, making it easy to forget about suspension and just focus on riding."

Also, Dirt Rider did a test on their KX450 while leaving the valving stock. That one is online here.

I know our dealer Steve at Suspension Systems in Western New York has used some - if you see him at the track stop by and see what he has to say.
mxb2
4/25/2016 8:21am
Surprised to see no replies; we've sold a lot of them! Even riders riding for other companies are using them in SX and some factory guys...
Surprised to see no replies; we've sold a lot of them! Even riders riding for other companies are using them in SX and some factory guys overseas.

In the May 2016 issue of Transworld (Craig on the cover), they tested one with a full revalve to match (RMZ450). Here is a piece from that, "While the suspension action was noticeably smoother, it was what we didn't notice that reallymade us appreciate Race Tech's efforts. Gone were all the inconsistent quirks of the air fork that would draw your focus away from just hitting lines-the unnecessary chatter of small track imperfections, the vague wandering entering corners, and the surprising "pop" of an unexpected bottoming out. The bike handled as we expected it to and went where we pointed it, making it easy to forget about suspension and just focus on riding."

Also, Dirt Rider did a test on their KX450 while leaving the valving stock. That one is online here.

I know our dealer Steve at Suspension Systems in Western New York has used some - if you see him at the track stop by and see what he has to say.
Might be a weird question, once the conversion kit is done,can any suspension company service it ?
crc245
4/25/2016 8:53am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 9:19am
mxb2 wrote:
Might be a weird question, once the conversion kit is done,can any suspension company service it ?
Yes; You can send it in to Racetech or have your local shop install and valve for you (as RT sells the kit aftermarket). While you're at it try, give it the college try for half price on the revalve seeing that it's single sided!

I've only ridden with this setup on a 15' RMZ450 and can say that it's quite a bit better than oem air. No more fighting the balance pressure to get plushness back without too much dive. Feels like a traditional dual spring setup with less overall weight (though heavier than OEM air setup) and faster tuning as only one forks' removal is required to change valving. Only complaint is that there is no preload adjustment on the spring side, to match Showa's OEM offerings of SFF; I believe this can be an effective tuning tool when utilized properly and should come standard on a kit of this kind...

The Shop

mxb2
4/25/2016 8:57am
mxb2 wrote:
crc245 wrote:
Yes; You can send it in to Racetech or have your local shop install and valve for you (as RT sells the kit aftermarket). While you're...
Yes; You can send it in to Racetech or have your local shop install and valve for you (as RT sells the kit aftermarket). While you're at it try, give it the college try for half price on the revalve seeing that it's single sided!

I've only ridden with this setup on a 15' RMZ450 and can say that it's quite a bit better than oem air. No more fighting the balance pressure to get plushness back without too much dive. Feels like a traditional dual spring setup with less overall weight (though heavier than OEM air setup) and faster tuning as only one forks' removal is required to change valving. Only complaint is that there is no preload adjustment on the spring side, to match Showa's OEM offerings of SFF; I believe this can be an effective tuning tool when utilized properly and should come standard on a kit of this kind...
Thanks.
flap
4/25/2016 8:58am
Surprised to see no replies; we've sold a lot of them! Even riders riding for other companies are using them in SX and some factory guys...

Can't wait to get my hands on a set. Not been able to find them for sale in Sweden yet. Just recently started riding again after a 3 year break, and got a 16 RMZ 450 (rode a 10 before) and just feel really awkward on the air stuff. Cant get used to it, seems much too stiff in corners and way too soft on harsh landings.

Who would be distributing them in my part of the world?
mxb2
4/25/2016 9:15am

flap wrote:
Can't wait to get my hands on a set. Not been able to find them for sale in Sweden yet. Just recently started riding again after...
Can't wait to get my hands on a set. Not been able to find them for sale in Sweden yet. Just recently started riding again after a 3 year break, and got a 16 RMZ 450 (rode a 10 before) and just feel really awkward on the air stuff. Cant get used to it, seems much too stiff in corners and way too soft on harsh landings.

How you like rmz?
MXDAD140
4/25/2016 9:21am
My son has them in his bike. He's only got to ride it 2 times thus only having 3.5 hrs on the bike. 1 time was Monster Mountain. He liked the suspension set up there but he rode it at Archiew and didn't like it to well. He definitely likes them over the air forks for sure tho. I'm sure a few clicks and he'll like them even more.
neysbo
4/25/2016 9:24am
Is there a kit for the 2016 Honda CRF450.
flap
4/25/2016 9:29am
mxb2 wrote:
How you like rmz?
Love the bike! Its my third RMZ and its a killer bike, i just can't get used to the forks. Might be 20 years on springs that is affecting me, though. Definitely a badass bike though!
mxb2
4/25/2016 9:31am
mxb2 wrote:
How you like rmz?
flap wrote:
Love the bike! Its my third RMZ and its a killer bike, i just can't get used to the forks. Might be 20 years on springs...
Love the bike! Its my third RMZ and its a killer bike, i just can't get used to the forks. Might be 20 years on springs that is affecting me, though. Definitely a badass bike though!
Cool cool. I have a 13 rmz 450 , set up by factory connection. Great bikes
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/25/2016 10:23am
mxb2 wrote:
Yes, but why would you want to? Smile Kidding (sort of).
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/25/2016 10:25am
flap wrote:
Can't wait to get my hands on a set. Not been able to find them for sale in Sweden yet. Just recently started riding again after...

Smartshop Racing Development in Sweden is an RT Center.

Also, J.O. Forsberg appears to be a distributor.

If you can't get what you need from either of those, let me know and I will do more digging with my sales manager.
mxb2
4/25/2016 10:41am
mxb2 wrote:
Yes, but why would you want to? Smile Kidding (sort of).
Just a generic question, always depends on shipping,turnaround time.
jtiger12
4/25/2016 10:42am
crc245 wrote:
Yes; You can send it in to Racetech or have your local shop install and valve for you (as RT sells the kit aftermarket). While you're...

that is a good question there. Due to the way the conversion is built, would it be possible to machine (or buy) a spacer kit to increase spring preload? also, I have not read the article, is there a specific supplier for the single spring? or does it use one out of the other SFF's?
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/25/2016 12:20pm
crc245 wrote:

jtiger12 wrote:
that is a good question there. Due to the way the conversion is built, would it be possible to machine (or buy) a spacer kit to...
that is a good question there. Due to the way the conversion is built, would it be possible to machine (or buy) a spacer kit to increase spring preload? also, I have not read the article, is there a specific supplier for the single spring? or does it use one out of the other SFF's?
jtiger, he's referring to an external preload adjustment. You can adjust/set preload internally with this setup.

The spring is its own spring series and is available from Race Tech as well.
Nellie12
4/26/2016 4:44am
Riesenbeg448, I sent you a PM. Not sure if you got it....if not please let me know. I had a few questions about purchasing the conversion kit. Thanks
Team Ideal
4/26/2016 5:04am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 5:06am
neysbo wrote:
I don't think so. I bought 2014 spring forks off a 250F on ebay. paid $750 but they had less than 2 hours on them. best mod we've done to our 450. .the 2016 rotor won't fit but luckily I kept our old over size rotor and adapter from our 2013 and it's a direct bolt on.
Bruce372
4/26/2016 6:46am
So just so it's clear, the problem with the air fork is that it's adjustable, but a drawback of the spring conversion is that it's not adjustable?
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/26/2016 12:49pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Riesenbeg448, I sent you a PM. Not sure if you got it....if not please let me know. I had a few questions about purchasing the conversion...
Riesenbeg448, I sent you a PM. Not sure if you got it....if not please let me know. I had a few questions about purchasing the conversion kit. Thanks
My PM's go to my work email and I'm not seeing it. Can you shoot it over via email to chris@racetech.com and I'll be sure to help you out?

And for those asking, no, the KYB version is not available currently. It's in development, but our busiest season of the year has pushed that development cycle back quite a ways.
neysbo
4/27/2016 8:09am
neysbo wrote:
Team Ideal wrote:
I don't think so. I bought 2014 spring forks off a 250F on ebay. paid $750 but they had less than 2 hours on them. best...
I don't think so. I bought 2014 spring forks off a 250F on ebay. paid $750 but they had less than 2 hours on them. best mod we've done to our 450. .the 2016 rotor won't fit but luckily I kept our old over size rotor and adapter from our 2013 and it's a direct bolt on.
we have a 14 250 that got ready to sell but may use those forks and get set up for the 450
mwssquad827
8/4/2016 11:50am
Ya I have this kit and it's legit!!! The air fork was good, really good sometimes but it was just super finicky and unpredictable other times. I would ride my favorite trail/ track whatever one day it would be awesome the next day exact same trail/track and it would be unpredictable/sketchy!! Same pressure/ time of day/ temp etc. but the conversion is butter all the time!! I love the predictability of the conversion!! And I don't have to mess with the air! I recommend it to everyone who is having issues with there air forks

Post a reply to: Anyone try racetech Showa spring conversion kit yet

The Latest