Anyone tried the Boxo tool kit?

Cygrace74
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2022 8:53pm
Been seeing some riders advertising for them, seems like a well put together kit. Wasn’t sure on quality of the wrenches and sockets themselves. I’m honestly a sucker for everything already being precut in a tidy space ready to go. Only hesitating because the lack of having any room to add personal little tools like my Fasstco spoke torque wrench.
|
Sawfish
4/20/2022 12:01pm
Looks okay for a beginner set I guess. I think most of us are already tooled up with the specific things we need and have bought piece by piece.
peelout
4/20/2022 1:00pm
Sawfish wrote:
Looks okay for a beginner set I guess. I think most of us are already tooled up with the specific things we need and have bought...
Looks okay for a beginner set I guess. I think most of us are already tooled up with the specific things we need and have bought piece by piece.
speak for yourself, i have a bunch of Harbor Freight shit tools in a canvas sack that i haul around with me. but i'm too cheap to upgrade tools i may use once or twice out in the field.
FWYT
4/20/2022 1:25pm
Good Lord . . . that is stupid expensive.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
4/20/2022 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2022 1:39pm
I've built a kit out of Milwaukee packout boxes that I've been really happy with. My goal is to have most tools at my house in packout boxes so I can stack and take anything that I want. Kaizen Inserts sells cheap, precut kaizen foam fills that are really nice, so I've migrated most of power tools into packouts and will take what I need for whatever kind of riding I'm doing.

I've got a bag with basic tools for desert days.
If I'm doing a track day practice I'll bring the socket sets and medium box with combo wrenches, plier sets, screwdrivers, etc.
Race weekends I'll add in the boxes with tire tools, power tools and torque wrenches.
I keep the specialty tools (suspension and engine tools) in the large rolling box and don't really take that anywhere, but I like having it organized

The packouts are nice because they make sense for home storage but can all fasten to each other if you want to take something on the road.

But to answer your question, I have not had any experience with the Boxo. I considered buying that or the Sonic Troy Lee set that was out a while ago, but I went with the packout build and I've been happy with it.

The Shop

kijen
4/20/2022 1:42pm
Just the box, better than the big store stuff. Do t k ow about tbier tools.
Cygrace74
4/20/2022 2:38pm
I've built a kit out of Milwaukee packout boxes that I've been really happy with. My goal is to have most tools at my house in...
I've built a kit out of Milwaukee packout boxes that I've been really happy with. My goal is to have most tools at my house in packout boxes so I can stack and take anything that I want. Kaizen Inserts sells cheap, precut kaizen foam fills that are really nice, so I've migrated most of power tools into packouts and will take what I need for whatever kind of riding I'm doing.

I've got a bag with basic tools for desert days.
If I'm doing a track day practice I'll bring the socket sets and medium box with combo wrenches, plier sets, screwdrivers, etc.
Race weekends I'll add in the boxes with tire tools, power tools and torque wrenches.
I keep the specialty tools (suspension and engine tools) in the large rolling box and don't really take that anywhere, but I like having it organized

The packouts are nice because they make sense for home storage but can all fasten to each other if you want to take something on the road.

But to answer your question, I have not had any experience with the Boxo. I considered buying that or the Sonic Troy Lee set that was out a while ago, but I went with the packout build and I've been happy with it.
I did use packout sets for my garage and got two of the small organizer packouts for the track. Was nice to organize small spare parts and be able to bring it back and forth.
Cygrace74
4/20/2022 2:39pm
FWYT wrote:
I agree it is overpriced, I’m only considering because of the foam pre cut. I have attempted cutting foam before and could not get it right without looking like a mess. Desperate for it to be quiet I’ve been losing my mind with my previous toolbox rattling inside my van on long trips
stantdm
4/20/2022 3:38pm

Ear plugs are cheap.

The problem is not with the box, it is okay. You need a hands on with the tools that are in there, the quality, and whether you need them or not.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
4/20/2022 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2022 3:51pm
FWYT wrote:
Cygrace74 wrote:
I agree it is overpriced, I’m only considering because of the foam pre cut. I have attempted cutting foam before and could not get it right...
I agree it is overpriced, I’m only considering because of the foam pre cut. I have attempted cutting foam before and could not get it right without looking like a mess. Desperate for it to be quiet I’ve been losing my mind with my previous toolbox rattling inside my van on long trips
That's the decider, I think. I've got a van and before building my kit I had a metal 3 drawer top case with tools rattling around in it. Foam or no foam, the metal box was loud as hell and even the unfoamed packout boxes are waaaaaay quieter just by virtue of them being made of plastic. That boxo kit has foam for the tools but the lid and drawers will still chatter.

You've already got some packouts, just keep adding. Like stantdm pointed out, having some familiarity with the tools is important and lugging around the ones you never touch is a waste. Plus, building out your own tool box is pretty fun.
cmotodad
4/20/2022 4:43pm
We have a Boxo right behind the passenger seat and it is very quiet. Tools are high quality and cool that it is very moto specific tools
Brent
4/20/2022 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2022 5:47pm
Crazy expensive for what you get.

No T Handles
No torque wrench
No Deep sockets

And they spelled "Carmichael" wrong...
jk367
4/20/2022 7:18pm
Idk, if they are good quality tools it doesn’t seem too expensive to me. Shit I go on the Mac truck and spend a grand before I even make it to the back of the truck lol can usually pack all that out with one hand too. Looks cool but mainly if it’s stuff you already don’t have which I’m sure it’s not but like someone said above it is a pretty sweet beginner set
urbanlift707
4/20/2022 10:12pm
These tool sets are awesome, I have the Moto one and three king of hammers ones that go in each truck. You can tell a quality tool when your crescent wrench can be adjusted to 1/2” and she stays there throughout multiple turns, whacks, etc. Although I do agree they are very expensive, vet class tools I guess.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
4/20/2022 11:06pm
Sawfish wrote:
Looks okay for a beginner set I guess. I think most of us are already tooled up with the specific things we need and have bought...
peelout wrote:
speak for yourself, i have a bunch of Harbor Freight shit tools in a canvas sack that i haul around with me. but i'm too cheap...
speak for yourself, i have a bunch of Harbor Freight shit tools in a canvas sack that i haul around with me. but i'm too cheap to upgrade tools i may use once or twice out in the field.
as long as you have what it takes to keep that generator running. Its been a while since we have seen a pic of it.
RMT
4/20/2022 11:24pm
I have the set shown above. It almost has everything you need but is missing T handles and few other items depending on what bikes you own. I like It because I go to the track with a small Army and it’s great to know all tools are back in the box at the end of the day. It’s also quiet and the tools don’t slide around in the box. Just my opinion, but the quality of the sockets and wrenches are about the same level as Husky brand sold at Lowes. Nothing near Mac, Snap On or Beta. The screwdrivers, hammer and air gauge are HF quality. I got It through work and didn’t pay for it myself and having it for almost a year now, wouldn't buy it with my own money.
snackfedbear
4/20/2022 11:31pm
If they were American made, I would say the price is somewhat reasonable. But they’re made in Taiwan or something. I can’t remember exactly because their rep seemed bothered I interrupted his angry birds game when I checked out their world display booth.
MJC
4/21/2022 4:25am
If they were American made, I would say the price is somewhat reasonable. But they’re made in Taiwan or something. I can’t remember exactly because their...
If they were American made, I would say the price is somewhat reasonable. But they’re made in Taiwan or something. I can’t remember exactly because their rep seemed bothered I interrupted his angry birds game when I checked out their world display booth.
Just a quick note, Taiwanese tools are very good quality. Not something to be overlooked.
MKMX
4/21/2022 4:58am
If you’re looking for a good MX tool kit there is a bloke on here who does decent kits Dancolvin633 - https://dcmxtools.com/

Just another option to consider.
McG194
4/21/2022 5:12am
MKMX wrote:
If you’re looking for a good MX tool kit there is a bloke on here who does decent kits Dancolvin633 - https://dcmxtools.com/ Just another option to...
If you’re looking for a good MX tool kit there is a bloke on here who does decent kits Dancolvin633 - https://dcmxtools.com/

Just another option to consider.
I was just about to post the same thing. Weekend Warrior box is pretty nice and i trust Gearwrench tools more than Boxo.

https://dcmxtools.com/products/dcmx-weekend-warrior-moto-box
kNewc
4/21/2022 7:04am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2022 8:42am
You can get a 3 drawer toolbox at Menards and get the tools you need elsewhere for much cheaper. Then with the money you saved buy a nut/bolt kit for your bike, a tire tube, levers, grips, etc. Unless this is your first set of tools. I went Menards/Harbor Freight for most of my tools since they are my "traveling tools". I won't be out $900 if someone steals it. I will say the combo lock on that box look nice.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/tool-storage/tool-boxes/performax-re…
McG194
4/21/2022 7:30am
kNewc wrote:
You can get a 3 drawer toolbox at Menards and get the tools you need elsewhere for much cheaper. Then with the money you saved buy...
You can get a 3 drawer toolbox at Menards and get the tools you need elsewhere for much cheaper. Then with the money you saved buy a nut/bolt kit for your bike, a tire tube, levers, grips, etc. Unless this is your first set of tools. I went Menards/Harbor Freight for most of my tools since they are my "traveling tools". I won't be out $900 if someone steals it. I will say the combo lock on that box look nice.

You can get cheaper tools at Harbor Freight? The hell you say!
kNewc
4/21/2022 8:40am
kNewc wrote:
You can get a 3 drawer toolbox at Menards and get the tools you need elsewhere for much cheaper. Then with the money you saved buy...

McG194 wrote:
You can get cheaper tools at Harbor Freight? The hell you say!
But shittier...much shittier lol
crc245
4/21/2022 9:45am
Have had one for about a year now; Good for 90% of trackside adjustments and the cut-outs keep everything proper for OCD minded individuals. A little extra spot for smalls like cotters, valve core remover, Sharpie, etc is appreciated, and there’s plenty of room up top for spoke torque wrench too...

4/21/2022 10:19am
I always kind of wished I would've gotten that TLD toolbox/tool set by Sonic tools. Looked so nice. Only thing is when I looked at the list of what was in there, it just wasn't that impressive, so I don't hate that I didn't spend the money. I take my good ole Task Force socket set that my Grandfather gave me, pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and a hammer and a punch and that has served me, and many other needing individuals, so far.
gt80rider
4/21/2022 12:31pm
Cygrace74 wrote:
I agree it is overpriced, I’m only considering because of the foam pre cut. I have attempted cutting foam before and could not get it right...
Use a foam cutting knife... super easy and wayyyy cheaper than 850....
MKMX
4/21/2022 2:19pm
I was once told when it comes to buying tools to buy what I like and see the the most value in as they’re the tools I have to work with and rely on - advice is great and should always be considered - but at the end of the day it’s your investment.

Im a diesel mechanic by trade and I also do most of my own bike work - and I’m a bit of a tool geek too - I use mostly snap-on as I have a good relationship with my dealer, I trust the tools I’m working with and I know any issues will be resolved quickly.

Find a manufacturer you like and go nuts!
Taylor415
4/21/2022 6:20pm
I always kind of wished I would've gotten that TLD toolbox/tool set by Sonic tools. Looked so nice. Only thing is when I looked at the...
I always kind of wished I would've gotten that TLD toolbox/tool set by Sonic tools. Looked so nice. Only thing is when I looked at the list of what was in there, it just wasn't that impressive, so I don't hate that I didn't spend the money. I take my good ole Task Force socket set that my Grandfather gave me, pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and a hammer and a punch and that has served me, and many other needing individuals, so far.
You and me both. There was many nights I almost pulled the trigger. Like you, I thought it was missing a bit. I bought the Matrix box and over a couple weeks filled it up. Went a little overboard on a “track box” but I forgave myself.
jim598
11/19/2022 7:05am
my son has this set, I was very skeptical for the price. I have used his set and it is great!!
I have an extreme tool collection. bunches of old craftsman. way to much snap-on, love blue point for the price. use some harbor freight. I carry every tool needed for anything motorcycle related. we have all brands of bikes modern and vintage. This set is $672. for a black friday sale. the only thing I am going to change when I get it is put my real knipex channel locks in the box and of course JIS screw driver will be added.. why in the hell don't they have JIS? hell why dont any of you use JIS??
Ob917
11/19/2022 7:25am
I wish you could spec your own tool list. I don’t need a hammer or adjustable pliers and some of the other rudimentary tools

Post a reply to: Anyone tried the Boxo tool kit?

The Latest