Anyone ride road bikes too? Naked streetbikes

Motomaniac45
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2020 10:41am
I used to ride moto when I was younger and am getting bored with golf... Anyone ride any road bikes? I have been eyeing the Yamaha MT 07s to ride on Sunday. Anyone have experience going from moto to street?

I live in Atlanta and there are some nice mountain roads not too far from the city that would be fun to ride on.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/10/2020 12:53pm
Naked bikes are pretty cool, but I'd suggest getting a windshield. They are pretty much worthless above 60/70 MPH without one.
Motomaniac45
4/10/2020 12:57pm
Thread title peaked my interest. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/10/418828/s1200_B90BF407_E5BB_42E4_8CF9_644F135C02E3.jpg[/img]
Thread title peaked my interest.

That's what I am talking about!
Motomaniac45
4/10/2020 12:58pm
Falcon wrote:
Naked bikes are pretty cool, but I'd suggest getting a windshield. They are pretty much worthless above 60/70 MPH without one.
That makes sense, but really I don't want to go that over 70 or so. Part of the reason I'd want to get something less extreme would be to meter myself! No need to go 120 like its nothing.

The Shop

4/10/2020 1:01pm
Tips for street riding.

1. Ride as if everyone is out to kill you.
2. Ride as if noone sees you....they don't
3. Dress for the slide.... pavement is far less forgiving than dirt
4. Don't be a squid
5. If you are not a highly observant driver (in a car), stay away from road bikes, you are going to get killed.

From a couple weeks ago on Sunrise Hwy here in San Diego....social distancing. Yeah...that's snow.
No, I don't wear anything leather (except boots) and I'm not a fan of the pirate look.

4/10/2020 1:02pm
Been focusing on mx for the last few years but just picked this up, can't wait to get some seat time in! My buddy has an FZ-07 and really likes it, has over 20k on it with no issues.

Motomaniac45
4/10/2020 1:12pm
Been focusing on mx for the last few years but just picked this up, can't wait to get some seat time in! My buddy has an...
Been focusing on mx for the last few years but just picked this up, can't wait to get some seat time in! My buddy has an FZ-07 and really likes it, has over 20k on it with no issues.

Which KTM is this? looks sweet.

I would have less hesitation if it was easier to get out of the city. I am sure Raleigh has some great places to ride that aren't too far out.

It really takes at least an hour to drive out of city traffic here in Atlanta.
4/10/2020 1:16pm
Been focusing on mx for the last few years but just picked this up, can't wait to get some seat time in! My buddy has an...

Which KTM is this? looks sweet. I would have less hesitation if it was easier to get out of the city. I am sure Raleigh has...
Which KTM is this? looks sweet.

I would have less hesitation if it was easier to get out of the city. I am sure Raleigh has some great places to ride that aren't too far out.

It really takes at least an hour to drive out of city traffic here in Atlanta.
It's the Super Duke 1290 R. Yea, I'm not far at all from decent riding. I think you're on the right track though with looking at a naked bike. Definitely want something with an upright riding position if you're going to be stuck city riding some.
Motomaniac45
4/10/2020 1:35pm
So do we think road bikes are more or less dangerous than moto? What sort of gear do you use on road bikes?
4/10/2020 1:46pm
So do we think road bikes are more or less dangerous than moto? What sort of gear do you use on road bikes?
Road bikes ARE more dangerous than moto...by far.

ATGATT - That stands for: All The Gear All The Time.

Helmet - fullface if you value your face/teeth
Pants that will withstand a slide (Kevlar lined type). Jeans do not hold up to a slide on pavement.
Jacket with some protection (shoulder, elbows).
Boots (stay away from laces, they come loose and get caught in sh*t)
Gloves....unless you like having someone else wipe your ass after you took a slide and you've got hamburger hands.
Eye protection.

Look up images of motorcycle "slide" injuries.

HazemG
4/10/2020 2:54pm
Tips for street riding. 1. Ride as if everyone is out to kill you. 2. Ride as if noone sees you....they don't 3. Dress for the...
Tips for street riding.

4. Don't be a squid
5. If you are not a highly observant driver (in a car), stay away from road bikes, you are going to get killed.

From a couple weeks ago on Sunrise Hwy here in San Diego....social distancing. Yeah...that's snow.
No, I don't wear anything leather (except boots) and I'm not a fan of the pirate look.

Great looking bike, but more importantly- GREAT advice. I gave up street bikes and cruisers for this reason. Add in the texting/social media distracted drivers and it's even worse. It's just not worth it. I've seen and heard of one too many deaths.
HazemG
4/10/2020 2:55pm
More, hands down. Other riders on tracks at least are typically cognizant of who is near them. They aren't texting. And they aren't in 2 ton pickups and SUVs.
KX500
4/10/2020 3:40pm
That makes sense, but really I don't want to go that over 70 or so. Part of the reason I'd want to get something less extreme...
That makes sense, but really I don't want to go that over 70 or so. Part of the reason I'd want to get something less extreme would be to meter myself! No need to go 120 like its nothing.
Good luck with that.

I had a Honda 919 for a couple years. Loved the bike. First year was great but somewhere in the second year I realized that too many times when I rode it, I did not keep it under 100 - it would just do it so easily and my restraint was poor. Pass a car, hold it WFO for a few seconds and boom triple digits. And in the overall scheme of things, that bike wasn't even all that fast.

Granted, I do live in a pretty rural area and probably the biggest danger was from a deer running out in front of me. Not sure if I'd have any street bike if I lived in a big city.

Anyway, riding a fast street bike like it is a dirt bike for the road, is fun, but probably not the best for life expectancy. So sold the 919 & bought a mellow V-Star. Told the guy who bought it before the test ride, 'bet you can't keep it under 100'. He came back with a big smile on his face, said 'you were right' and started getting out the cash.

So maybe have some restraint on engine size.

And yes, assume everything on the road that can get you killed, is going to try to.
Titan1
4/10/2020 3:40pm
I had a Triumph Speed Triple for several years...such a fun motorcycle! I miss it...but I love dirt more, and would rather spend my time riding that, so I sold it.

Naked bikes are the perfect balance between comfort and performance...The upright riding position, lower pegs...but all the performance you could ever want.
Tenacious P
4/10/2020 3:46pm
HazemG wrote:
More, hands down. Other riders on tracks at least are typically cognizant of who is near them. They aren't texting. And they aren't in 2 ton...
More, hands down. Other riders on tracks at least are typically cognizant of who is near them. They aren't texting. And they aren't in 2 ton pickups and SUVs.
Ya, i'd go with more. It's much less physically taxing but the speed on a streetbike is insane while feeling like nothing. A modern Yamaha R1 can do 100mph in FIRST GEAR.

The thing that kills people on the road is generally the speed differential. If you're going 60 and traffic is going 20 any mistake could kill you, and you're usually not the one making it.

I ride with nice helmet, leather jacket, riding jeans, riding boots, and gloves. I am considering an airbag vest as I commute, they are about $700 and look silly but the testimonials are crazy.

4/10/2020 3:54pm
Road bikes ARE more dangerous than moto...by far. ATGATT - That stands for: All The Gear All The Time. Helmet - fullface if you value your...
Road bikes ARE more dangerous than moto...by far.

ATGATT - That stands for: All The Gear All The Time.

Helmet - fullface if you value your face/teeth
Pants that will withstand a slide (Kevlar lined type). Jeans do not hold up to a slide on pavement.
Jacket with some protection (shoulder, elbows).
Boots (stay away from laces, they come loose and get caught in sh*t)
Gloves....unless you like having someone else wipe your ass after you took a slide and you've got hamburger hands.
Eye protection.

Look up images of motorcycle "slide" injuries.

I’ll add that sometimes I wear my back protector also. I do wear jeans sometimes. I know. It is not smartest choice.
FWYT
4/10/2020 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 4:11pm
Been riding street bikes, as well as dirt bikes, for a looooong time, too. Probably over 200k miles on street bikes over the past few decades. Got away from the four cylinder bikes and now have a KTM 640 that is SO MUCH FUN that it's stupid. Not so great for commuting long distances but for zipping around town or the occasional blast out to the hills, or Palomar, it's ridiculous. I've nicknamed it The Cyclops for the monster light I mounted on it.

motogrady
4/10/2020 4:08pm
I used to ride moto when I was younger and am getting bored with golf... Anyone ride any road bikes? I have been eyeing the Yamaha...
I used to ride moto when I was younger and am getting bored with golf... Anyone ride any road bikes? I have been eyeing the Yamaha MT 07s to ride on Sunday. Anyone have experience going from moto to street?

I live in Atlanta and there are some nice mountain roads not too far from the city that would be fun to ride on.
Been going back and forth, doin both, for 50 years.
Just be careful, don’t ride like a jerk, you’ll be fine.

I’m into the 80s Honda Cb750s, got 2 of them. A 79ss and an 82K.

My SS.

I dunno. Triumph is making a real nice bike these days. A 500 or 650 twin is really all u need. Air cooled, good handling, narrow, good stoppers.

My 750 s are a bit top heavy, and the weigh pretty good.

Yamaha made a real nice 650 Twin for a long time, I think they were the XS model. Good power, narrow, light for what they were, handled good. But they are hard to find. Closest u can get now, to that package,
is the Triumph.

Have fun out there guy.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
4/10/2020 4:18pm
Tips for street riding. 1. Ride as if everyone is out to kill you. 2. Ride as if noone sees you....they don't 3. Dress for the...
Tips for street riding.

4. Don't be a squid

The best advice I’ve gotten for riding street is without a doubt “ride as if everyone is actively trying to kill you.”

4/10/2020 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 4:26pm
Ya, i'd go with more. It's much less physically taxing but the speed on a streetbike is insane while feeling like nothing. A modern Yamaha R1...
Ya, i'd go with more. It's much less physically taxing but the speed on a streetbike is insane while feeling like nothing. A modern Yamaha R1 can do 100mph in FIRST GEAR.

The thing that kills people on the road is generally the speed differential. If you're going 60 and traffic is going 20 any mistake could kill you, and you're usually not the one making it.

I ride with nice helmet, leather jacket, riding jeans, riding boots, and gloves. I am considering an airbag vest as I commute, they are about $700 and look silly but the testimonials are crazy.

This is why I never bought a sport bike or "naked" bike....I'd be dead in a week. The speed intoxication is just to easy to succumb to. I test rode a Ducati Diavel a couple years ago....160 hp...and one HELL of a performance bike. Wanted one bad....but the angel on my shoulder kept tapping.... walk away.

That's why I like my Springer....she's no ballerina (more like a WWII destoyer)...and she' s not for ripping thru the corners or burning tires light to light.

A cruiser keeps you relatively sane.

motogrady
4/10/2020 4:26pm
Tips for street riding.

4. Don't be a squid

What motor is that?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/10/2020 4:43pm
That makes sense, but really I don't want to go that over 70 or so. Part of the reason I'd want to get something less extreme...
KX500 wrote:
Good luck with that. I had a Honda 919 for a couple years. Loved the bike. First year was great but somewhere in the second year...
Good luck with that.

I had a Honda 919 for a couple years. Loved the bike. First year was great but somewhere in the second year I realized that too many times when I rode it, I did not keep it under 100 - it would just do it so easily and my restraint was poor. Pass a car, hold it WFO for a few seconds and boom triple digits. And in the overall scheme of things, that bike wasn't even all that fast.

Granted, I do live in a pretty rural area and probably the biggest danger was from a deer running out in front of me. Not sure if I'd have any street bike if I lived in a big city.

Anyway, riding a fast street bike like it is a dirt bike for the road, is fun, but probably not the best for life expectancy. So sold the 919 & bought a mellow V-Star. Told the guy who bought it before the test ride, 'bet you can't keep it under 100'. He came back with a big smile on his face, said 'you were right' and started getting out the cash.

So maybe have some restraint on engine size.

And yes, assume everything on the road that can get you killed, is going to try to.
This. Three easy gear changes and you're at about 65? No, oops! 105! It's hard to keep those bikes down.

Drivers look at sportbike riders like they are reckless idiots but really they are riding the way you and would when going through the pits with one hand in our laps.
Whymee
4/10/2020 4:52pm
Go right for the FZ-09. A motocross bike for the street. I like it almost as much as my RZ350 & FZ-10!
G-man
4/10/2020 5:26pm
I'm on my fourth street bike first one was a 1980 kz750 around1983. Love that bike but yes like others have said you have to use discretion depending on your age should matter.

I was in my early twenties and was lucky to survive those years riding dirt bikes definitely helps as I can't imagine learning to ride a motorcycle on the street.

I'm not really into the full naked street bike scene this is what I have a 01 FZ1 it's my second one and I absolutely love it believe it or not the quarter fairing definitely helps especially on long road trips.

Will you be riding any passengers that should also fit into the equation. Some of the passenger seats they put on the sport bikes are absolute joke and the passenger is sitting about a foot-above you with hardly any seat.

benstone
4/10/2020 7:52pm
This thing puts a smile on my face every time I throw a leg over it. 2015 Ducati Monster 1200. It is NOT a bike you want to use to learn how to ride in the street. Crazy acceleration but great manners for so much power. I live in the foothills of Rocky Mountains and this is an amazing canyon carver. Maybe the smaller version of the Monster would be a solid starting point and it would be super-flickable in the Mountains.

AK74
4/11/2020 1:54am
I used to ride moto when I was younger and am getting bored with golf... Anyone ride any road bikes? I have been eyeing the Yamaha...

OP, in addition to my Super Tenere I've got a 2017 MT-07 which I use for fun. Handles nicely and is guaranteed to put a smile on your face without the need to be going at warp speed. The addition of an Akrapovic exhaust makes it sound nice too, and isn't offensively loud.

skypig
4/11/2020 3:26am
I have an old Suzuki Bandit 1200. Got it all tuned up years ago - especially the suspension.

I ride it very occasionally. If I’m riding with someone who is on a streetbike.

Usually, I ride by myself, on lightly trafficked back roads, (Me and a local moving their tractor to another pasture type of roads - fewer fools, and hardly any Law Enforcement.)

I ride this - 79.78RWHP

navalseabee
4/11/2020 3:53am
Triumph Street Triple RX. Ride it work basically everyday so I dont have to DD the moto van, plus it's nice only paying $9 to get to work and back for the week.

Ingjr1
4/11/2020 4:25am
Tips for street riding.

4. Don't be a squid

Nice bike, I'll bet it handles sweet.

Post a reply to: Anyone ride road bikes too? Naked streetbikes

The Latest