Anyone remember Rob Herring and Paul Edmondson?

Robgvx
Edited Date/Time 10/17/2021 6:35am
Rob was multi-time British champion, GP winner and 1994 MXdN hero. Paul was a four-time world enduro champion.

Both now work in movie stunt work. Paul was the man who did the bike jump over the wall at the beginning of the latest Bond movie (on his 50th birthday I believe!) . Rob rode the camera bike.

Very cool. And both nice guys too!

|
ocscottie
10/13/2021 2:53pm
Very cool. That video bike must of been heavy, its packing a lot of gear.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2021 2:57pm
I posted the following video in the Triumph thread.

Spergen
10/13/2021 3:47pm
The fish was one of my favourite riders, glad they are doing well in life after racing
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
10/13/2021 3:52pm
Both are certified Bad asses on bikes and still get to ride for pay. very cool.

The Shop

TeamGreen
10/13/2021 4:39pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Thoroughly enjoyed that video and the other behind the scenes/2nd unit vids.

Thanks!
jemcee
10/13/2021 5:14pm
Rob Herrings white Castrol Honda is one of the coolest looking bikes I've ever seen!

That jump over the wall is no joke!!
Elliot
10/13/2021 6:48pm
Both of those guys are legends.

I once had a seat next to Rob Herring on a flight, he was a genuinely nice bloke.

I was living in California in the late eighties when Paul Edmonson first went over to test with the US factory off road Suzuki team for GNCC. A mate of mine was there and told me they were utterly stunned at how fast he was. His younger brother Lee (AKA Stan) is Billy Bolt's mechanic.
FWYT
10/13/2021 8:42pm
Awesome stuff!!!
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/13/2021 8:45pm
Robgvx wrote:
Rob was multi-time British champion, GP winner and 1994 MXdN hero. Paul was a four-time world enduro champion. Both now work in movie stunt work. Paul...
Rob was multi-time British champion, GP winner and 1994 MXdN hero. Paul was a four-time world enduro champion.

Both now work in movie stunt work. Paul was the man who did the bike jump over the wall at the beginning of the latest Bond movie (on his 50th birthday I believe!) . Rob rode the camera bike.

Sure do remember Rob. Lining up against him in 1982 was intimidating but we all looked up to him.

He was multi time South African Champ before moving to the UK. He is a Legend here in South Africa.

Thanks for posting Robgvx.

Here is a little throwback from Brickor Track, Johannesburg, 1981. Rob is #2 and Ryan Hunt #75.

10/13/2021 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2021 10:51pm
I got chatting to a guy at the track, shooting the shit & what not & he said he was a stuntman. I was like woah that’s really cool. He said he worked with this guy who was also a stuntman & he was telling him he was once a half decent mx rider back in the day. I said what was his name. He goes Rob Herring.
eeazye
10/14/2021 1:22am
Elliot wrote:
Both of those guys are legends. I once had a seat next to Rob Herring on a flight, he was a genuinely nice bloke. I was...
Both of those guys are legends.

I once had a seat next to Rob Herring on a flight, he was a genuinely nice bloke.

I was living in California in the late eighties when Paul Edmonson first went over to test with the US factory off road Suzuki team for GNCC. A mate of mine was there and told me they were utterly stunned at how fast he was. His younger brother Lee (AKA Stan) is Billy Bolt's mechanic.
Stan’s a Minge!
10/14/2021 12:52pm
Rob was and still is a legend!
Everts even said that when hes on it then no one can touch Robbie
,just the crashes that cost him a world championship
Glad to see hes doing well,
I think Dobb also did some 007 stunts at one point I believe
philG
10/14/2021 3:52pm
When Rob decided to try his hand at supermoto, back in 2007 ish, he had a 450 Yamaha that was just too slow to be any use, and i hooked him up with a ride on our team, on our 450 Aprilia, as the owner was a big fan and was stoked to get him one one of his bikes... It took him a while to get the hang of the bike, but he ripped it when he did, was on for a 450 British Championship race win when he blew the shock hose off... great fun to have around.

His film work stopped him committing to a full time ride, and he couldnt risk getting hurt either, but it was cool while it lasted.

He rang me out of the blue a few years ago, while on set for a film, saying they were running out of bikes and needed a couple of Ducati's sorting quick, and there were no new ones to be had, I managed to hook him upo with a buddy who had a couple of used ones that were the right spec, on his floor, and from what i recall , they were shipped out the following day .

As for Paul, i remember us nearly getting thrown out of a night club at Weston Beach Race weekend, when we were piggy back fighting on the dancefloor , funnily enough , with another mate who is on the R&D side at Triumph now,

The following day , he gave Dave Thorpe a run for his money briefly, on his 125 Yamaha , against DT on a 500 Honda . Think that was 88 or 89, as i rode 85, 86 and 87 , and i was watching , not riding.

Hard to imagine that 30 odd years later he would be James Bond.
whethefakawe
10/14/2021 7:21pm
Robgvx wrote:
Rob was multi-time British champion, GP winner and 1994 MXdN hero. Paul was a four-time world enduro champion. Both now work in movie stunt work. Paul...

Boomslang wrote:
Sure do remember Rob. Lining up against him in 1982 was intimidating but we all looked up to him. He was multi time South African Champ...
Sure do remember Rob. Lining up against him in 1982 was intimidating but we all looked up to him.

He was multi time South African Champ before moving to the UK. He is a Legend here in South Africa.

Here is a little throwback from Brickor Track, Johannesburg, 1981. Rob is #2 and Ryan Hunt #75.

I'm pretty sure the blonde kid at left no. 8 is Greg Albertyn, and the no.1 at right is Gary Butcher.

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/14/2021 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2021 9:18pm
Robgvx wrote:

Boomslang wrote:
Sure do remember Rob. Lining up against him in 1982 was intimidating but we all looked up to him. He was multi time South African Champ...

I'm pretty sure the blonde kid at left no. 8 is Greg Albertyn, and the no.1 at right is Gary Butcher.

#1 was Gary sir but ill do some checking on the number #8. Greg was a bit younger back then.

Edit. Gary Butcher says the number 8 was Malley Wade.

#58 is Robbie Smith.

Greg was a few years behind this group.
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
10/15/2021 3:17am
I did a two day training school with Rob back in my early teens at donnington Mx track (if anyone remembers that track, not the GP track)
The things I learnt those two days have benefitted me ever since. Great bloke and a great coach.
philG
10/15/2021 6:35am
Boomslang wrote:

Boomslang wrote:
#1 was Gary sir but ill do some checking on the number #8. Greg was a bit younger back then. Edit. Gary Butcher says the number...
#1 was Gary sir but ill do some checking on the number #8. Greg was a bit younger back then.

#58 is Robbie Smith.

Gary Butcher came to the UK and lived with Rob Herring in 1988, and raced British Championship in hope of getting a GP ride, but i dont think he made it out of the support series, back then, i think the winner of the first round got moved up into the top 40 , and then could be considered for the GP grading list, but he had a mare at the first round, and i dont think he even made the support mains, through a crash in the heat , and a mechanical in the last chance. Plus he was on a 250 against 500's which didnt help.

Pretty sure Craig Dack had the same issue, had a DNF due to a stone having his chain off at Matchams and had to ride in the support series for 3 rounds.

I had a day riding with Rob and Gary, to try and sort out the awful suspension on the stock 88 CR250 i had, as Gary had done some testing in the US for them in 87, at a track they used to use on some old railway embankments in Corby, here in the UK... remember sending it up a step up after watching them making it look easy , and Gary saying ' not many folk do that '.... i felt i had to so i had a bit of credibility .. we got it sorted , so it was a decent day .
whethefakawe
10/15/2021 1:12pm
Boomslang wrote:

Boomslang wrote:
#1 was Gary sir but ill do some checking on the number #8. Greg was a bit younger back then. Edit. Gary Butcher says the number...

#58 is Robbie Smith.

Yes you're right, Greg A was about 3 or 4 years behind Herring and Dugmore and them.

Some old MX programmes from Syringa and Brickor I have show no. 8 as Mickey Wade. Same as Wally?

Photo below is from the 1983 Brickor national programme, Greg was clearly still a nipper, I remember seeing his white head in the pits.....stood out like a road flare...........that boy was seriously blonde!

Regis
Fantasy
340th
10/17/2021 2:13am
Rob and I do the same thing, I had a slightly different path as I did stunts mostly before getting into camera vehicles. Rob and I are actually on a job together now in Morocco he rode my @covert_camera_vehicles Yamaha 450 this morning and I actually drove his “crane car”. We are here the next three weeks filming some 2nd unit action for a big movie coming out in the near future. he’s an amazingly nice dude and working with him is an honor.
Elliot
10/17/2021 2:41am
That's cool thanks for posting.
TeamGreen
10/17/2021 9:48am
Seeing the movie after watching the videos of all the stunts was pretty damn cool.

Post a reply to: Anyone remember Rob Herring and Paul Edmondson?

The Latest